Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit File

• 16-03-2019 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys

I am super confused about credit references in Ireland. I have broken my query into 2 parts.

So, i moved here from Manchester 3 years ago and only just discovered that my phone contract and 2 catalogues don't count as credit as they are not registered with the ICB. I got these to build my rating which i now realise was pointless lol (those count as credit in the UK). So basically i just have my bank accounts. One business and one personal (again i have no credit facility with them as i haven't needed it. I was told to apply for something i.e loan or credit card to build my rating but of course was declined as i don't have a credit rating. I even ordered my ICB report and it was blank, totally blank. Not even my bank accounts were listed. I am not sure what i am supposed to do as i now can't get credit as i don't have credit. Anyone any ideas?

The second thing that confused me. Two years ago (after i had been here a year) i got my mobile phone contract with 3. They gave it to me no issue. My contract has ended but i didn't want to renew as i don't like their service. Anyway i went to Vodafone to apply yesterday and they said no as i have no credit. Now this would make sense after learning i have no credit score after never having credit. But i'm confused as to how i got my 3 one in 2017 then? Has it changed it 2 years? While it might not go to the ICB as it isn't registered credit... they still credit check you... but they didn't 2 years ago?

Any advice welcome.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

I don't know anything about phone contracts, but for financial services building a credit rating isn't really a thing here. You get bad credit history by not paying your loans etc. of course, but banks are generally focused on your current repayment capacity (based on affordability assessments) than any previous proof of you repaying credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We don’t have the same concept of credit rating here as you do in the UK. Basically only financial institutions can impact your ICB report. The ICB report doesn’t give a score. It just simply lists where you’ve had credit, and your track record in paying it off. The ICB is used by financial institutions when assessing loan eligibility, but having a blank ICB is not a negative.

Phone companies and other companies use private credit ratings, and this is more like what you’re used to in the UK. It’s influenced AFAIK by financial credit rating, how long you’ve lived at your current address, previous credit history with the companies who use this private rating system. Because it’s private, it can be harder to interpret, but generally if you pay enough deposit you’ll be able to get a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lberry

dudara wrote: »
    We don’t have the same concept of credit rating here as you do in the UK. Basically only financial institutions can impact your ICB report. The ICB report doesn’t give a score. It just simply lists where you’ve had credit, and your track record in paying it off. The ICB is used by financial institutions when assessing loan eligibility, but having a blank ICB is not a negative.

Phone companies and other companies use private credit ratings, and this is more like what you’re used to in the UK. It’s influenced AFAIK by financial credit rating, how long you’ve lived at your current address, previous credit history with the companies who use this private rating system. Because it’s private, it can be harder to interpret, but generally if you pay enough deposit you’ll be able to get a service.

Between banks phone companies etc.. they have a monopoly also mentality what not you know but who you know....I’ve recently been refused a loan by a big financial institution here have never had a loan have and never had bad credit..... just did it to see how normal working people who hold down a regular job not millionaires don’t rip anyone off have no important status also haven’t the gift of the gab and a big name to go with it!!! You financial institutions out there should be ashamed not supporting the normal joe soap who can pay his way in his own name. I will continue to apply for a personal loan and will name and shame and I will take it to the national papers to expose them.... we normal working folk at times would appreciate some support.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LittleNicky86

Hi thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah i realised it isn't the same as the UK. The only bit im confused about is that 2 years ago i could get a phone contract.. now i can't as i have a low credit score. My ICB report is blank as i have never had a loan or credit card. What has changed i am so confused 😱

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

Did you miss any payments on your previous phone, or recently change address? Someone in a phone shop before said that if you haven't been living at your address long enough you can get refused.

• Advertisement
Advertisement