Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomatoes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

MacDanger wrote: »
    Here's a pic of one of my "tumbler" tomato plants, it's doing pretty well and has a good bit of fruit on it. I'm pretty sure that it's outgrown the pot but I don't have anything bigger that's suitable for indoors (no tunnel or greenhouse either). Should I cut off some of the flowers on it and try to get a few tomatoes from it? Or just see how it goes as it is? Or something else

The first of these tomatoes are almost ripe, delighted with them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

MacDanger wrote: »
    The first of these tomatoes are almost ripe, delighted with them

Wow congratulations those are brilliant!

Mine are outside now, still at flowering stage only but growing rapidly, the warm weather in the last week has really spurred them on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Does anyone know what's causing this? It started on the tomato leaves (I have them indoors, they were doing great until this started), but it's spread to other plants, like this Jacob's Ladder. (I'll add the pics in a sec).

555253.jpg

555254.jpg

Also, how do I treat it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have a few different varieties growing, and all seem fine. Some could definitely do with a bit of pruning, but a lot of tomatoes and a lot of flowers still.

I have this small plant though, I'm pretty sure it is the yellow Spanish tomatoes from the Tesco mixed baby tomatoes. I think it's smaller because I ran out of pots and left it in a small pot. It was fine up until 3 days ago, a 6-8 inch pot, and it started showing signs of struggling. But I wasn't sure if it was over watered or under watered. I left it, and it seemed to come back slightly. Yesterday I bought a pot in dealz, and drilled a few holes in the base. Moved it over and watered it.

This morning it looked like the first two photos, and about an hour later the 2nd two. I squeezed off the very top stem as that was just a couple of witheredish leaves, I then gave it a bit of tomato feed. Now it looks worse so I moved it slightly into a cooler area. It is now similar looking but drooping a bit more.

Is there any way to tell if it is over or under watered?

I'm after watering it... just now. After these photos. 😥

https://postimg.cc/gallery/C5Y7bNc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The last two photos, to me, would tell me that it needs more water and some fertiliser (the leaves are pale). From the first photo I'd say it's been scorched by the sun. Also, check for mites/parasites, you could have a case of white fly, they're a scourge. It could be a fungus, too, considering that some of the tips of the branches look like they've a white dusting on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The photo above is from my moneymaker tomato plant, the tomato looks decent and has a nice shine on it

The next one is on the same plant and the skin has gone very dull, almost like matt paint - any idea what's causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

My moneymakers are dull until they get to full size.

None ripe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

All mine are huge but still green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

Ripening at last. I've harvested four. Very tasty.

I've huge green ones, and picked three of the Spanish Orange ones, they were gorgeous, a fair few more of them ripening since then. The baby reds have started ripening too, and I think the plant that died above (couldn't save it) was the only yellow one that grew.

But I have loads! Even after the storm damage 😁. Hopefully they all ripen and no more storms before then 🤞.

I wasn't expecting as many to grow on each plant. In contrast, I only have one pepper from about 7 plants, although a fair few of them have flowers.

• Advertisement

I have picked two Tomatoes that I was leaving as long as possible to ripen, as we have picked a fair few of the cherry and other small ones.

Anyway, the two I picked today look like they have been eaten by something. I have looked all around the plant and soil and around, and I can't find anything. I think I was looking for snails or slugs, but anything.

Any idea what could be eating them?

I'd say slugs or snails (unless you can see tiny teethmarks), to catch them in the act you've to go out at nighttime - they're hide and seek champions.

Yeah, I think Slugs. Salt around pots and planters I think.

Look at this one! 😟 🤢

It looks like mouse droppings in the hole..

https://postimg.cc/gallery/9mDS23d

lost all mine to blight, pita.

Nope, slugs/snail poo. Just wash it well and cut out the bit that's been eaten, there's nothing wrong with the rest of the tomato.

Mouse droppings look like black grains of rice, only a bit smaller.

Post edited by New Home on

Those ones aren't the most flavourful to be honest, maybe not ripe enough, I got more today that ripened over the weekend, and those slug ones, I will try them tomorrow. But the little red, orange and yellow spanish baby mix are gorgeous, the orange are very sweet.

Didn't realise it was slug poop 🤢 not that it's any different from any other poop, but - EATING MY TOMATOES AND POOPING IN MY TOMATOES!! This means war.

I wonder would it be related to me watering them in the latter part of the evening. Around 9pm. I vaguely remember hearing a long time ago (past all of the stuff I've forgotten) that water brings out slugs..

Well, they do like the moisture - watering in the evenings makes sense because there's less evaporation, though, so it's a catch-22. Beer traps work wonders, but they're quite gross when you have to empty them.

Advertisement