Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhills Road apartments

Options
  • 16-03-2019 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

hi, I'm just wondering what the Greenhills rd apartments are like in terms of quality and value for money. 2 are up for 160000. do people pay their management fees? they are 2000 grand a year. tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I wouldn't be paying 2000 grand a year in management fess TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Kornelia

yes I thought that was high too.

sugarman wrote: »
    Theyre a kip, friend bought one new. Lashed up in the boom and suffer badly with damp and mold, during rush hour the noise of the traffic to the front was unbearable with how close to the road they are.

Very few paid the management fees and as a a result there was very little upkeep on the place. Halls needed a good cleaning and lick of paint. If it wasnt for my mate the hallways would be in darkness too, he was the only one replacing the bulbs.

Sold it on to some unfortunate once he could make his money back.

I doubt much has changed so id avoid it. If youre going to view I seriously suggest checking it out during peak traffic to get an idea of the noise.

thank u so much for that reply. exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering why it's so cheap. I hate noise so will definitely check it out. in terms of maintenance I just think its so sad people don't live up to their expectations and as a result of it honest people suffer. thank u so much for ur reply. invaluable. ❤

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of complexes need that or more to pay for future structural issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

2000 a year management fees is 166 a month on top of the mortgage .

a bigger mortgage in a more popular apartment block with a management company with people are paying their fee's to keep it at a more manageable level would be a much better option imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

L1011 wrote: »
    Plenty of complexes need that or more to pay for future structural issues...

Need more than 2,000,000 in fees? I think I'd just move out :pac:

In all seriousness for the location and price even 2 grand would put me off personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

2,000 a year mgmt fees is insane. Probably that high because others aren't paying theirs.

I cannot imagine why anyone would even consider buying an apartment in Ireland. Best thing i ever did was flog mine, even though i took a loss on it.

Dealing with management companies, your own tenants and other owners tenants was nothing but hassle. People are dirty b*stards.

Juwwi wrote: »
    2000 a year management fees is 166 a month on top of the mortgage .

a bigger mortgage in a more popular apartment block with a management company with people are paying their fee's to keep it at a more manageable level would be a much better option imo.

yes I know what you mean. how do u find out whether people pay or not? maybe ring the management company. I'm paying 1350 with bills 1500 at the moment. that's 18000k a year into someone else's pocket. from what I heard management fees start with about 1000. I mean what do they do with 2000 grand a year??? let's say there is 15 units in the house. they would get 30 grand in management fees alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Kornelia wrote: »
    yes I know what you mean. how do u find out whether people pay or not? maybe ring the management company. I'm paying 1350 with bills 1500 at the moment. that's 18000k a year into someone else's pocket. from what I heard management fees start with about 1000. I mean what do they do with 2000 grand a year??? let's say there is 15 units in the house. they would get 30 grand in management fees alone.

The government mandated a sinking fund a few years ago, most apartments blocks are trying to build that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Kornelia wrote: »
    You need to read up about the rights and responsibilities of living in a managed development.

Our annual budget is about 100k. Big expenses are block insurance, public liability insurance, landscaping, refuse collection and maintenance. Then there's fire safety systems, common area cleaning, common area lighting etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

Caranica wrote: »
    You need to read up about the rights and responsibilities of living in a managed development.

Our annual budget is about 100k. Big expenses are block insurance, public liability insurance, landscaping, refuse collection and maintenance. Then there's fire safety systems, common area cleaning, common area lighting etc etc

You no longer need an individual building insurance for your apartment in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

zreba wrote: »
    You no longer need an individual building insurance for your apartment in this case?

You'll need contents insurance and also to be prepared for the excess on the block insurance potentially being a lot more than you expected.

Saving is not significant compared to the totality of the fees; but when you add on average refuse collection costs to it you do start to see a bit more.

You don't own an apartment, you lease it (mine is 999 years). The owners (management company) insure the buildings. The downside is the excess is usually massive (ours is 2.5k)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't forget if you don't like noise then an apartment isn't for you.

I'm not talking about traffic noise either.

When confined into such a space you will hear everything from toilets flushing to pumps to doors banging and people walking around etc etc.

Caranica wrote: »
    You don't own an apartment, you lease it (mine is 999 years). The owners (management company) insure the buildings. The downside is the excess is usually massive (ours is 2.5k)

I bet whether you own or lease is up to the specific case, but not having to worry about structural issues like walls or roof over your head is what you pay for in the management fees.

When owning a house you must be prepared for huge unexpected expenses from time to time. In apartment you just pay the yearly fee (like a subscription fee) and don't worry about anything really.

When confined into such a space you will here everything from toilets flushing to pumps to doors banging and people walking around etc etc.

That's true, however apartments have often better sound proofing between them than semi-d or terraced houses. I've lived in both and an apartment over a busy street was surprisingly quiet inside, even when there were parties behind the wall. Solid masonry build. Can't say the same about timber frame housing where you can basically hear your neighbor's farts :D

When confined into such a space you will here everything from toilets flushing to pumps to doors banging and people walking around etc etc.

Not true where I live at all. Can’t hear a thing.

Not true where I live at all. Can’t hear a thing.

How is it not true at all that's like me saying the sky isn't blue....

I've been in many an apartment and you can hear everything.

not having to worry about structural issues like walls or roof over your head is what you pay for in the management fees.

When owning a house you must be prepared for huge unexpected expenses from time to time. In apartment you just pay the yearly fee (like a subscription fee) and don't worry about anything really.

Except this is Ireland, where you especially have to worry about those things in apartments.

Also, neighbors smoking in communal hallways and dropping their ash on the carpets, people dumping buggies and tv's under stairwells, water pumps leaking above you, neighbours flushing nappies down toilets and pouring deep fryer oil down drains, cars repeatedly abandoned in communal parking spots, kids slamming communal front doors to the point of breaking them, fire extinguishers being used as door stops and then being nicked, mobile homes being parked in parking spots, people putting wooden floors in the flat above, people sticking ugly satellite dishes on the walls, fire alarm systems going off randomly, communal bin areas being treated like a bring-centre for the local town, peoples dogs ****ting in communal hallways, lackadaisical management companies, communal green areas like meadows.

That's just my personal experience of living in an apartment block.

Ah yeah, you have basically nothing to worry about, compared to a house!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I bet whether you own or lease is up to the specific case, but not having to worry about structural issues like walls or roof over your head is what you pay for in the management fees.

In properly managed apartments where owners take their responsibility to pay management fees seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If fees aren't above 1500 in any apartment complex, I'd query how well it is being run. In particular there should be a substantial sinking fund being built up, and owners need to be contributing well over the minimum - 2000 is quite reasonable. It's a false saving to have cheap fees, and owners will either have to make up for it in the future, or watch their complex deteriorate.

How is it not true at all that's like me saying the sky isn't blue....

I've been in many an apartment and you can hear everything.

It only takes one example to disprove your claim that this always happens.

Edgware wrote: »
    In properly managed apartments where owners take their responsibility to pay management fees seriously.

So management fees are optional?

It only takes one example to disprove your claim that this always happens.

I never said always advisable said many.

Very big difference.

A lot of apartments were built absolutely sh1te

Except this is Ireland, where you especially have to worry about those things in apartments.

Also, neighbors smoking in communal hallways and dropping their ash on the carpets, people dumping buggies and tv's under stairwells, water pumps leaking above you, neighbours flushing nappies down toilets and pouring deep fryer oil down drains, cars repeatedly abandoned in communal parking spots, kids slamming communal front doors to the point of breaking them, fire extinguishers being used as door stops and then being nicked, mobile homes being parked in parking spots, people putting wooden floors in the flat above, people sticking ugly satellite dishes on the walls, fire alarm systems going off randomly, communal bin areas being treated like a bring-centre for the local town, peoples dogs ****ting in communal hallways, lackadaisical management companies, communal green areas like meadows.

That's just my personal experience of living in an apartment block.

Ah yeah, you have basically nothing to worry about, compared to a house!

Sourds horrible. Where about was that? I used to rent an apartment in Dublin city centre, no problems at all. Nice, tidy and quiet place. Couldn't really hear any neighbors through the walls. And this wasn't any of the newish fancy apartment blocks with receptions, videophones, security on site etc.

hmmm wrote: »
    If fees aren't above 1500 in any apartment complex, I'd query how well it is being run. In particular there should be a substantial sinking fund being built up, and owners need to be contributing well over the minimum - 2000 is quite reasonable. It's a false saving to have cheap fees, and owners will either have to make up for it in the future, or watch their complex deteriorate.

Saving upfront is one way. Credit is just another when you need it. However hearing that management fees are rather optional, then maybe credit is not an option within the current regulations?

hmmm wrote: »

Fees vary depending on unit size. In our development they go from 650 to 1800. We have a healthy sinking fund.

In many cases high fees are to make up for a high level of non payment or serious cash sinks like fountains, lifts, electric gates etc

Sourds horrible. Where about was that?

a commuter town in Laois, but you can find the same in towns up and down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

There no standard fee. Fees are based on what is costs to run the common parts of the development.

Of your overall bill the agents fee is only a very small part of this with most of the money going to insurance, servicing fire safety systems, maintenance etc.

As for not knowing whats done for 2k a year, every managed development holds an AGM every year. The budget and previous years accounts will be sent to you 21 days in advance of this so you will see how the fees break down.

• Advertisement

thanks so much for all your reply's guys.

Advertisement