Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Are you all dead?

Which islands are called Eileanan nan Caorach in Scottish Gaelic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dunno about dead, but there don't seem to be many of us about!

No idea of the answer to the question, but thanks for posting it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

(I must learn to read the questions properly...)

Of course the answer to the question 'are you all dead?' the answer is 'no'.

Do I get brownie points and a question for that? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Sheep Island?

• Advertisement

enfield wrote: »
    Sheep Island?

FYP

No but it translates literally as that, save for the FYP. It would be Oileàin na gCaorach in Irish.

Try again.

Come on folks. It's British overseas.

Google translate claims the Irish translates as Sheep Islanders, but I think you may have to tell us as it doesn't look as though you have any takers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Faroes?

looksee wrote: »
    Google translate claims the Irish translates as Sheep Islanders, but I think you may have to tell us as it doesn't look as though you have any takers :D

We're talking Scottish Gaelic, not Irish. Their name in Irish is taken from the English, though I have heard one or two people who wouldn't be renowned Anglophiles call them something else in Irish.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    We're talking Scottish Gaelic, not Irish. Their name in Irish is taken from the English, though I have heard one or two people who wouldn't be renowned Anglophiles call them something else in Irish.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Faroes?

No. As I said, British overseas.

FYP

No but it translates literally as that, save for the FYP. It would be Oileàin na gCaorach in Irish.

Try again.

That's the one I was referring to?

That's the one I was referring to?

Sorry. We're at cross purposes. I was simply translating the Scottish Gaelic name literally to Irish but that is not what they are called in Irish. The islands are not Irish.

P.S. There are a few islands called Sheep island (singular) but these are plural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

P.S. There are a few islands called Sheep island (singular) but these are plural.

Sheeps Island? :pac:

Guessing to be honest - British Virgin islands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Falklands perhaps?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Falklands perhaps?

Correct. Well done. I heard an Irish speaking lawyer consistently refer to them as "na Malvinas", while the recognised name in Irish is Oileáin Fhaclainne. ( and to so refer to them at the height of the hostilities.) It's struck me that the Scottish Gaels have a nice, neutral name. Maybe the Gaels of Ireland should copy it.

Your question, please?

I owe ye a question.....
    Who is William Michael Albert Broad better known as?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Robin Hood?

No, much more recent

I owe ye a question.....
    Who is William Michael Albert Broad better known as?

I think thats enough time. Its Billy Idol. Heres another one:

Whats the original name of the hospital in South Africa where the first heart transplant was performed? Its had its name changed since.

• Advertisement

Oooh thats a bit hard Bonzodog, I could tell you who did it! When was it? Mid 60s?

Oooh thats a bit hard Bonzodog, I could tell you who did it! When was it? Mid 60s?

December 1967

I think thats enough time. Its Billy Idol. Heres another one:

Whats the original name of the hospital in South Africa where the first heart transplant was performed? Its had its name changed since.

After a little google, the hospital I'm looking for is still called the same, but theres a new one named after the surgeon. I heard the name on the radio a few months back and thought they had renamed it in his honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

The spelling is probably wrong, because I don't have the Afrikaans - but it's along the lines of Groot Schuur.

I recall doing a paper round, and reading about the transplant as I went from house to house. I still also recall the names of Christiaan Barnard and Louis Washkansky.

Well remembered nompere!

Who wrote fiction featuring characters named Quin and Satterthwaite?

nompere wrote: »
    Who wrote fiction featuring characters named Quin and Satterthwaite?

Agatha Christie?

Very good.

How many syllables make up a Haiku?

• Advertisement

Five syllables here
    Seven more syllables there
    Are you happy now?

New Home wrote: »

Five syllables here
    Seven more syllables there
    Are you happy now?

Bonus points for extra effort!

Your question!

What's "Disease X"?

What's "Disease X"?

Is it a misspelling of "dizzy sex"?

Ehrr... no?

Is it a misspelling of "dizzy sex"?

This poses more questions than it answers.

• Advertisement

What's "Disease X"?

This one seems to be eluding everybody. You had better give us a clue.

What's "Disease X"?

New Home I think you will have to give us a clue or else give us the answer and ask another.

This thread aint the same since Srameen departed but I wouldn't like to see it die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Disease X is a way to kill an online chat thread.

Sorry guys, I'll post a clue later this morning.

At a guess then, though it seems a bit obvious to say its a kind of hypothetical disease that you would use in a discussion - 'if disease X had a deathrate of so many, then...'

• Advertisement

Sort of.
    Disease X is a placeholder name that was adopted by the World Health Organization (WHO) in February 2018 on their shortlist of blueprint priority diseases to represent a hypothetical, unknown pathogen that could cause a future epidemic. The rationale was to ensure that WHO planning was sufficiently flexible to adapt to an unknown pathogen.

I'll post another question in a little while.

What does the process to produce cyanotype entail? (In a generic, overall way, no need to get into details) What are/were cyanotypes used for?

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Disease X is a way to kill an online chat thread.

I'll give you Disease X!! :mad:

No, wait, scrap that... that sounds much different to how I intended... ;):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What does the process to produce cyanotype entail? (In a generic, overall way, no need to get into details) What are/were cyanotypes used for?
    Cyanotype is a photo printing process. It makes beautiful blue monochrome images (basically) using a photosensitive iron/potassium chemical reaction.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

And it is (was) used for...

And it is (was) used for...
    Developing photographs. :)

EDIT: I just did a quick search and may have found what you are thinking off. I never cottoned on to that before as (as a photographer) I've only ever considered cyanotypes as a photographic process.

I had to check as a result of Oldgoat's answer and right enough I never made the connection. However when I worked in a printer's doing graphic design people would ask for cheap print jobs to be done in just cyan to save money, I always hated the result. The four print coloiurs (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) are (to me) individually very unappealing, they need to be mixed together to get colours with depth and character.

BUMP!

OldGoat, I think you're next, you were close enough. :)

(The answer to that was blueprints).

Golfers shout "Fore" to warn people of errant shots. What is the origin of the word 'fore' in this circumstance?

I know I know that, somewhere in the deep recesses...I think its an abbreviation of something like 'forwarned'

• Advertisement
Advertisement