Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fore ****'s sake? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Wasn’t it got to do with caddies going ahead to find the balls and the golfer would shout fore to warn them?

(I play golf and remember this being told to me after what might have been a tipple or two too many :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Zeus has it. In the days of yore a golfer would have a couple of caddies, one to carry the clubs and another who would walk out in front, calling out the lie of the land and spotting the ball when the golfer twacked it. That lad was the fore-caddy (fore as an abrivation of forward). When players miss-hit and launched the ball towards the unfortunate lad they would (occasionally) call a warning of FORE!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Folks, my apologies, forgot to post a question.

For what is Horton Smith known?

Winner first masters... and maybe another year but not going to Google

Winner first masters... and maybe another year but not going to Google

Correct. Won the inaugural Masters in 1934.

Your question.

Totally unprepared for that, even if I was sure of the answer.

My question... Can I pass please?

Thread open to anyone with more imagination than me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry Stevie, no passes :D If you answer a question you ask one, come on, you can do it!

No passes...? (I refer the good Moderator to post #359 :))

OK - easy one as my brain has gone stir crazy: What is Cookie Monsters' first name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sid...!

I had to come up with questions for a family pub quiz over zoom, this thread rocks!! :D

ok, question:

A man was found dead alone in the desert, there were no footprints or tyre tracks. He had an unopened package with him. Whatever was in the package was the cause of his death. What was it?

Steve wrote: »
    Sid...!

I had to come up with questions for a family pub quiz over zoom, this thread rocks!! :D

ok, question:

A man was found dead alone in the desert, there were no footprints or tyre tracks. He had an unopened package with him. Whatever was in the package was the cause of his death. What was it?

Parachute?

Sid it is.... I pass the crown :)

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Parachute?
    Too easy I guess :D

The floor is yours..

No passes...? (I refer the good Moderator to post #359 :))

OK - easy one as my brain has gone stir crazy: What is Cookie Monsters' first name?

This quiz has no rules and as moderator I reserve the right to change them whenever I feel its necessary. :cool:

Anyway that was then, stuff happened and we got tough ... though I have just realised the mod warning polite and good-natured request was in the first post of the previous thread :o.

What is cherophobia?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fear of nails? If not, I've another idea. Or two.

New Home wrote: »
    Fear of nails? If not, I've another idea. Or two.

Let’s hear the other idea. Or two :D

Fear of being cheerful?

Fear of hair (chero, as in cheratine?) or fear of angels (as in cherubim)?

Or... back to the drawing board? :o

Steve wrote: »
    Fear of being cheerful?

I’ll give you this one - it’s a fear of happiness/being happy!

You’re up!

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Or... back to the drawing board? :o

You can join me in the corner for the adult colouring session New H :D

You can join me in the corner for the adult colouring session New H :D

Too difficult, I can never stay within the lines... can I do "join the dots" instead? I've a ruler, too...

I’ll give you this one - it’s a fear of happiness/being happy!

You’re up!

Thankfully, I don't have it... :D

So, in the movie The Empire Strikes Back, what line does Darth Vader say to Luke just before chopping his hand off?

Hint: It's to do with his parental status.

No, I am your father!

I have never seen the Empire Strikes Back, but this is one of those lines that everyone knows. I am shocked by the hand cutting business.

Well done looksee,

I'm gonna have to think of harder questions...

That was a famous Mandela effect one where most people think it was "Luke, I am your father..." chop..

Your turn. :)

All of these flowers are poisonous, except one. Which one from this list is in fact edible - and tasty in a salad?

Daffodil
    Poppy
    Foxglove
    Oleander
    Peony
    Clematis
    Bluebell
    Rhododendron
    Larkspur
    Hydrangea
    Lily-of-the-Valley

Poppy!

You can also cook the young shoots/leaves, aside from using the seeds for cakes, etc.

Hm, we are both right and both wrong apparently :D

According to the Thomson and Morgan website list of edible and poisonous flowers
    'All poppies are poisonous. However the seeds produced from Papaver somniferum and Papaver paeoniflorum can be eaten. The seeds of other species are not edible.'

and (from Tasmania)
    ​​Crude poppy material at any dose is highly poisonous. The alkaloids are extremely toxic and can cause convulsions, asphyxiation and death.

Using any part of the poppy, in any way, is life-threatening; people in Tasmania have died from doing this.

Any ingestion of poppy plants should be treated as an emergency

However I have found reference to eating the young plants as you quoted but in reference to field poppies (Papaver Rhoeas) I didn't know about that one, and T&M would be talking about the alkaloid type poppies that we grow in the garden, and that was my understanding about poppies.

So you are correct (I wouldn't chance it tbh!) but there is another edible one in there, do you know it?

Eaten tons of it as a child (cooked, though) and so did all the previous generations. :)

I wouldn't be sure about the others, out of those, I DEFINITELY know about 3 (maybe even 4), 4 more I've no clue about, so my guess would be in the remaining three. Pass, so. :)

Take it away then New Home, I'll leave the question up in case any one else wants to have a guess (or indeed, knows :D) - no harm in having a couple of questions going!

• Advertisement

Will you tell me, please? :)

I'll post a question shortly.

Its Peony - https://practicalselfreliance.com/edible-peony/ I have to add the disclaimer that I have never eaten peony, the occasion to eat flowers really doesn't seem to come up that often. I did also find an article that said peonies are deadly toxic, but that's the internet, most people seem to be confident they can be eaten, and are actually nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Does anyone know where I might get the questions and answers of the 2020 Mastermind final, shown a few days ago?
    Thanks.

feargale wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I might get the questions and answers of the 2020 Mastermind final, shown a few days ago?
    Thanks.

This is the closest I could find: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hy35/mastermind-20192020-31-grand-final

I owe a question - what does the name China actually mean? (It's not pronounced China in any of the Chinese languages, as far as I know, anyway).
    I'm not referring to the pottery, I'm referring to the country, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Land of the Qin dynasty maybe?

No, not what I was looking for.

The Middle Kingdom?

P.S. Do I get a bonus point for offering "mate" as in Cockney "me old china plate"? :)

You do. :)

Your go, Feargale. :)

• Advertisement

What is the only capital city which is named after an Irishman?

No idea but love the question.

I know I used to know this, but it's gone now and it's bugging me!! Murphy's Law, I guess.

Wellington!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Wellington!

Correct. Question, please.

What does an arctophile collect?

• Advertisement

Bears? :eek: Is that even legal???

Not quite

Oh. :(

Phew! :)

Teddybears

Take it away New Home. I would have given the same answer as you if I were as learned in Greek.

Ah dddammittt!! I never put two and two together... :D

Nah, it's yours (and I'd have to think of a question and, like, the effort! :P)

• Advertisement
Advertisement