Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

girlfriend and I attacked by teenage girls on Luas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Around what stops did they get on?

Just asking cuz my woman's been annoying me lately and is always on thr phone but if I give her a slap or take the phone off her I'm apparently 'abusive ', and been looking for a way around this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Berserker wrote: »
    A few decent prisons would solve that problem.

Ireland is a very safe place. Plenty of stats to back that up.

Stats supplied by our police force. Would you really believe them? More fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

You should have knocked one of the cùnts out.

and get arrested? no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Got attacked in Eyre Square by a bunch of teenage girls slapping me around the head. A big group of big lads waiting next to a tree for me to react so they could beat the crap out of me.

It must be weird going through life knowing you're scum and having no respect for yourself.

Serious:

How often do you see this in Vietnam? (I think you live in Vietnam).

My guess is almost never?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Serious:

Never. I'd walk around any street at any time without fear of trouble. There just isn't a culture of random violence, and I've had this conversation with many Vietnamese people and foreigners. Everyone agrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

spurious wrote: »
    Parenting again. No doubt they thought they were at the library studying. Fear not, this lot will be breeding another load shortly.

Yep, they should be sterilised at birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

TomSweeney wrote:
    Yep, they should be sterilised at birth.

Maybe you and I should have been sterilised at birth also, just encase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The police force in this country is pathetic, all they're interested in is tax and insurance and giving breathalysers first thing in the morning to catch some poor misfortune who might have had a few scoops the night before

Hardly entirely fair. When they do arrest someone, a judge usually arrives from Cloud Cuckoo Land and gives some meaningless sentence that allows a scumbag with plenty of previous back onto the streets. There's no fear of the police or criminal justice system.

As starting point, if some proper sentences were handed out, it would certainly help.

But aside from that, nothing wrong with catching someone driving over the legal limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Hardly entirely fair. When they do arrest someone, a judge usually arrives from Cloud Cuckoo Land and gives some meaningless sentence that allows a scumbag with plenty of previous back onto the streets. There's no fear of the police or criminal justice system.

As starting point, if some proper sentences were handed out, it would certainly help.

But aside from that, nothing wrong with catching someone driving over the legal limit.

I think it is an accurate reflection, Im sure there are many Gardai that start out decent enough, but overall, thats an accurate perception of what they do, its unfortunate and even though I agree with what youre saying too, Ive come across more power tripping tools than decent sorts, who you know wouldnt cop that attitude with the more criminally minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

A few weeks picking rubbish along the side of roads, while wearing bright orange boilersuits might soften these scumbags up a bit.
    Or painting over unsightly graffiti.
    Anything to punish them by having to actually be of benefit to their area.

And if they don't turn up, sentence is doubled and then go to jail.

• Advertisement

Never. I'd walk around any street at any time without fear of trouble. There just isn't a culture of random violence, and I've had this conversation with many Vietnamese people and foreigners. Everyone agrees.

What do you think we're doing wrong in the west which allows so much scum to thrive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

El_Bee wrote: »
    There's no facilities.
    In the city centre of Dublin?

The types involved tend to have been banned from the local facilities, because they cannot behave in a manner considered acceptable by most people.

So, they go out and rob a kid's phone or some other scumbaggery which their lovely parents have never expressed any disapproval of.

But it's OUR* fault, just so long as you know, never theirs.

* the normal folk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

1874 wrote: »
    I think it is an accurate reflection, Im sure there are many Gardai that start out decent enough, but overall, thats an accurate perception of what they do, its unfortunate and even though I agree with what youre saying too, Ive come across more power tripping tools than decent sorts, who you know wouldnt cop that attitude with the more criminally minded.

Accurate reflection or accurate perception?

They're quite different and I don't disagree with the perception but it's a bit of a leap to say the former.

Every day there is some scumbag in court after doing something while not being in jail for the multiple convictions. It's the guards gerting the convictions, it's the judges letting them out.

Not the full picture, but it does happen an awful lot. Maybe it's a case of involving more creative punishments but that they actually be punishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Serious:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Vietnam

Crimes against foreigners in Vietnam

Petty crime, which includes pick-pocketing and snatch theft, is a problem in Vietnam. Traveling alone in remote areas after dark is of risk especially to foreigners. Violent crime is a growing issue; most cases of it are reported in the more developed areas of the country, such as Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi. Scams are common in the country, and foreign travellers have reported attempts at sexual assault on fake motorcycle taxis (xe ôm) passed off as real ones.I][URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I. Counterfeit and unauthorized merchandise can be easily found in many areas of Vietnam.[12]

you are factually incorrect x infinity.

Let's review the facts.

The person has a tenner - where they got it from is entirely irrelevant, and in fact, entirely fictional. If they have two tenners in their wallet, one they got from their mammy and one they got from their dole, does it matter which one they spend? You can't ring-fence any individual's money based on source.

When they buy a VATable product in a shop, they pay tax. That's a simple, undeniable fact.

I know it's difficult to have your victimhood of carrying the entire welfare state on your shoulders challenged, but that doesn't change the fact. When anyone buys a VATable product in a shop, they pay tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Let's review the facts.

The person has a tenner - where they got it from is entirely irrelevant, and in fact, entirely fictional. If they have two tenners in their wallet, one they got from their mammy and one they got from their dole, does it matter which one they spend? You can't ring-fence any individual's money based on source.

When they buy a VATable product in a shop, they pay tax. That's a simple, undeniable fact.

I know it's difficult to have your victimhood of carrying the entire welfare state on your shoulders challenged, but that doesn't change the fact. When anyone buys a VATable product in a shop, they pay tax.
    thats all wrong

thats all wrong
    It is all factually correct - every single word.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So have the Gardai and the courts gone away away ?

Gardai have given up in large areas of Dublin, and if you live outside dublin well we've already discussed burglary rates earlier, we've also discussed the people with 80-90 convictions doing whatever they want, so yes, they have gone away, and been replaced with cardboard cutouts.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Vietnam

Crimes against foreigners in Vietnam

Petty crime, which includes pick-pocketing and snatch theft, is a problem in Vietnam. Traveling alone in remote areas after dark is of risk especially to foreigners. Violent crime is a growing issue; most cases of it are reported in the more developed areas of the country, such as Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi. Scams are common in the country, and foreign travellers have reported attempts at sexual assault on fake motorcycle taxis (xe ôm) passed off as real ones.I][URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I. Counterfeit and unauthorized merchandise can be easily found in many areas of Vietnam.[12]

Yes, I said there isn't a culture of random violence.

What you've just quoted takes place against drunk young backpackers on Bui Vien street in Ho Chi Minh city. All very easy to avoid. They are career petty-criminals, not the city's youth out looking to beat people up randomly. Not drunk fights after nightclubs. Not gangs harassing people going about their daily lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This thread is excellent.

You'd swear Dublin was Mogadishu based on half the stuff in here. Not saying Dublin doesn't have problems but ****ing hell, some of the language being used in here is hilarious.

• Advertisement

Welfare has become a career for many scrotes in this country. It vexes me when I see the proportion of tax that I pay going to fund their lifestyles while I and the good people around me work hard and struggle to make ends meet.

I'd have no problem with reducing and cutting welfare for these scum and using the money saved to build and run prisons where the feral could be housed.

DrumSteve wrote: »

You'd swear Dublin was Mogadishu based on half the stuff in here. Not saying Dublin doesn't have problems but ****ing hell, some of the language being used in here is hilarious.

Dublin is in general a nice city but there's a hardcore 5% of people who are scum and cause so much trouble.

I don't understand why they are tolerated.

I'm not saying we or anyone do this, but if the 95% started beating the **** out of these scum every time they acted badly, they'd wisen up quickly. But the scumbags know they can get away with their bad behaviour, because everyone is scared of them. Including me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I wonder if the amount of those hardcore tactical security chaps has increased with the expanded Luas network

Dublin is in general a nice city but there's a hardcore 5% of people who are scum and cause so much trouble.

I'm not saying we or anyone do this, but if the 95% started beating the **** out of these scum every time they acted badly, they'd wisen up quickly. But the scumbags know they can get away with their bad behaviour, because everyone is scared of them. Including me.

The gas thing is that it wouldn't even be as high as 5%.

I think this place is becoming an echo chamber (just see the amount of uses of the word scum). I've lived in Dublin my whole life, I just don't see the Dublin mentioned in this thread in real life. As I said, I'm not saying there are no problems, but they are being wildly over-exaggerated in here.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Welfare has become a career for many scrotes in this country. It vexes me when I see the proportion of tax that I pay going to fund their lifestyles while I and the good people around me work hard and struggle to make ends meet.

I'd have no problem with reducing and cutting welfare for these scum and using the money saved to build and run prisons where the feral could be housed.

So you want to send them to prison for availing of legally provisioned services provided by the state? For the crime of what exactly?

The gas thing is that it wouldn't even be as high as 5%.

I think this place is becoming an echo chamber (just see the amount of uses of the word scum). I've lived in Dublin my whole life, I just don't see the Dublin mentioned in this thread in real life. As I said, I'm not saying there are no problems, but they are being wildly over-exaggerated in here.

I think you're right, it's probably not as high as 5%. Whatever the figure is, there are too many scumbags in this country.

I think you're right, it's probably not as high as 5%. Whatever the figure is, there are too many scumbags in this country.

There are "scumbags" in every walk of life; whether it's the junkie trying to score some smack on the quays or a lawyer doing a few lines before they go to Coppers.

There are people doing fair more damage to the country in higher positions than a few dole scroungers, but they are an easy target I suppose.

So you want to send them to prison for availing of legally provisioned services provided by the state? For the crime of what exactly?

Stop playing Do-gooder
    You're clever enough to make the connection to what I am alluding to.
    You know the type of Welfare Sponger I'm referring to.

Stop playing Do-gooder
    You're clever enough to make the connection to what I am alluding to.
    You know the type of Welfare Sponger I'm referring to.

LMAO Do-gooder.

Why am I a do-gooder for not wanting to send people to prison for some unnamed crime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

The very simple point he was making was they are paying using money given to them and not earned and by virtue of that fact they themselves have not paid the VAT expect for in the very pedantic sense that they handed over the money.

there's a hardcore 5% of people who are scum and cause so much trouble.

Probably closer to .05% than 5%. At 5% you start reaching the levels where you can change society. Look at the wonderful progress we have made on issues like homosexuality and gay marriage. Yet estimations on homosexuals make up less than 5% in many studies. Yet look how much our culture and society and media is permeated by issues related to them. In many great ways too.

So I think there is a lot less than you think of people like this thread is about. The issue is there does not really need to be that many of them. In a society with 5million people even .05% is a significant number when mostly concentrated into a small area like a Capital's City Centre. Then all you need is the simple dynamics of anecdote and click bait - and basic human doom and gloom - and their effect gets massively exaggerated in ours heads. Hell even .01% is probably enough.

All kinds of reasons. The wrong goals and incentives in a police force. The issues of compo-culture and where prosecutions tend to go if you do stand up to them and then get done yourself. Fear - not knowing if a knife might be pulled or worse. The "Someone elses problem" or "someone somewhere should sort that out" effects. A justice system that occasionally lets people with multiple convictions off with nothing. And so on.

It is not so much as we tolerate them - as we tolerate a system that facilitates them. Probably because for all our moaning about it - we do not actually have a better idea for a better system much of the time. Or the political or public will to push for them when we do. We just know someone somewhere should be doing something somehow.

Some might respond to that I suppose - but others would not. Instead they would counter prosecute - get pay outs - and all kinda things which would validate the behaviour. While still others would retaliate or even escalate. Some people really do want to watch the world burn and attacking them for it would only fuel that fire.

Others respond to a different approach though. I recently myself started teaching some local hoodlums to fight - which left some of the locals aghast that these violent bullies might be learning to fight even better than before.

They were kids who were hanging around in a particular "short cut" spot intimidating and even attacking some locals. So no one would use that short cut any more.

I got their attention one day - had them attack me - kicked their ass at it - and then turned it into a lesson. And then kept them coming back for more lessons.

The change in them in a short time from my simply giving them some basic human attention was remarkable. Going from intimidating little old ladies to helping them carry shopping home. When I was out of the country at the world cup last year they showed up with hand made signs to welcome me back at the airport. And one of the little old ladies who was most terrified of them has been letting us use her garden to train in and even gives them cookies and milk in that way little old ladies like to do. They look out for her now.

It is so easy to think of these kids as evil sometimes. The sofa and keyboard are comfortable and easy places to be for many on threads like this one. Sure such kids are always irredeemables as the awful Clinton woman might say. Hopeless cases fit only for prison or castration or more. "feral " even that should be housed in some kinda locked off commune financed with the money we save from not paying them social welfare any more.

But my recent experience shows the smallest level of actual human connection and a wave of changes come over many of them. And they seem even baffled themselves at the pointless harm and intimidation and poor behaviour they got up to when I now talk to them about it in retrospect. They genuinely seek change and reparation even.

"Scum" is a catch all term for a group of people some of which likely are irredeemable - and some of which are just lost. Perhaps I got lucky in that the group I connected with were the latter. It was an educated guess more than luck - but I always wonder on threads like this how often their story is being repeated around the place.

My dream would be to get the money together to start a Jedi School for kids like that. Working with a few others I even have a curriculum in mind for what a real world Jedi School would even teach and how. I recently in a walk around some outer dublin areas for some other issue passed three closed down run down buildings that all used to be boxing clubs for youths. That made me sad.

LMAO Do-gooder.

Why am I a do-gooder for not wanting to send people to prison for some unnamed crime?

Sorry I genuinely thought you understood my original post.

I should have made myself clearer. I am referring to the type of Welfare Sponger that engages in criminal and antisocial activities highlighted in the OP and throughout the thread. These are the ones that should have welfare cut and if need be imprisoned.
    In my opinion I think my taxes would be better served in this way.

There are "scumbags" in every walk of life; whether it's the junkie trying to score some smack on the quays or a lawyer doing a few lines before they go to Coppers.

There are people doing fair more damage to the country in higher positions than a few dole scroungers, but they are an easy target I suppose.

The subject of this thread is scumbags causing trouble with random attacks, etc.

If you want to complain about lawyers, CEOs or politicians, that's a different conversation.

I think it would be quite dishonest for someone to pretend it's lawyers, CEOs or politicians robbing phones and starting fights on the luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Dublin's a kip........

Sorry I genuinely thought you understood my original post.

I should have made myself clearer. I am referring to the type of Welfare Sponger that engages in criminal and antisocial activities highlighted in the OP and throughout the thread. These are the ones that should have welfare cut and if need be imprisoned.
    In my opinion I think my taxes would be better served in this way.

I can't argue with that, if you break the law you should face justice. The original post was ambiguous though.

• Advertisement

These are the future recipients of any "solution" to our "housing crisis"..... they won't work a day in their lives and will breed like rabbits despite being quite likely ugly as foook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Dublin's a kip........

2 types of people would make that remark.
    Someone not from Dublin.
    Someone from a shtty part of Dublin.

If all you see is Dublin City centre or all you know is some council estate then yes, Dublin is a kip. There is more to Dublin than it's city centre and council estates.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    The very simple point he was making was they are paying using money given to them and not earned and by virtue of that fact they themselves have not paid the VAT expect for in the very pedantic sense that they handed over the money.

I know well the point he was making, so further explanations are superflous. The 'very pedantic sense' is the same sense that everyone pays VAT. They hand over money to a shop, and a slice of that money goes to government in VAT. So they pay VAT.

But if you want to get into 'earned' income, that would open up some very interesting discussion. Is the money given in child benefit to the 'squeezed middle' earned? Is the money tucked away in their pension funds that avoided income tax 'earned'? Is the average salary of €150k for each Facebook staff earned, given that most of what they do is taking our data in dubious arrangements and selling it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know well the point he was making, so further explanations are superflous. The 'very pedantic sense' is the same sense that everyone pays VAT. They hand over money to a shop, and a slice of that money goes to government in VAT. So they pay VAT.

Here, nobody gives a fuck about your VAT angle.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here, nobody gives a fuck about your VAT angle.
    Did I miss the meeting where you were appointed as spokeperson for everybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Did I miss the meeting where you were appointed as spokeperson for everybody?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Thankfully we've repealed the 8th, so hopefully the next generation of non-contributors will be thinned out a bit. Happened in the US, will happen here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think the worrying trend is that Dublin city centre seems to be getting worse. It is from my perspective even though I only visit Dublin 4-5 times a year. The 100% tolerance policy is making the city centre a no-go area. I imagine the Dubliners in the suburbs rarely go into the O'Connell St and Quays areas anymore and instead go to Dundrum or other such shopping centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Posts that downplay anti social behaviour and freeloading must be quite loathsome to people who have to live next door to the scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

recedite wrote: »
    Its an American banner, carried by yanks every year.
    Mary Lou is just posing beside it, like a tourist.
    Yes, she is identifying with it, but its not her banner.

Some history of it here...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/nyregion/banner-st-patrick-parade-new-york-england.html

I think Coveney is the asshole here, trying to make a big deal about it.

On the Luas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

On the Luas?

did she bring it on the luas as well :pac:

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

They pay vat from OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

How is it difficult for you to understand that money gifted from the state that is partially returned to the state is not generating anything. It has not been earned through any income generating activity.

Your attempts to suggest that benefits are of benefit to anyone but the receiver are ridiculous.

But if you want to get into 'earned' income, that would open up some very interesting discussion. Is the money given in child benefit to the 'squeezed middle' earned?

No, It is essentially a tax re-distribution to people who are still net contributors.

Is the money tucked away in their pension funds that avoided income tax 'earned'?

Yes, that money will have been "earned" from people doing "jobs". It will also be invested in stocks and shares that allow companies to generate further economic activity.
      Is the average salary of €150k for each Facebook staff earned, given that most of what they do is taking our data in dubious arrangements and selling it off?

Of course it is earned. Your opinion of the company's output is irrelevant, they are being paid to do something that has a value to someone else, something that generates economic value.

I find it hard to believe that it needs to be explained how there is a fundamental difference between money changing hands in return for goods, services and labour over money given for free with nothing being provided in return.

2. Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Posts that downplay anti social behaviour and freeloading must be quite loathsome to people who have to live next door to the scum.

Only .05% of us have to live beside them apparently.

3. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

The subject of this thread is scumbags causing trouble with random attacks, etc.

If you want to complain about lawyers, CEOs or politicians, that's a different conversation.

I think it would be quite dishonest for someone to pretend it's lawyers, CEOs or politicians robbing phones and starting fights on the luas.

It might be. You have no actual evidence those causing trouble on the Luas are welfare recipients in social housing. One high earning sportsman seems quite capable of thuggish behaviour.

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The problems have been left to fester in parts of Dublin because of a lack of concern by the establishment, Dublin is pretty bad in some parts.

5. Advertisement
    Advertisement