Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and Political Science or Law and Business?

Options
  • 17-03-2019 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm trying to decide on which of these two degrees to put down as my first option. My concern with Law and Business is that there are economics and finance modules which I may potentially find difficult because I don't have a high standard of Maths. With regards to Political Science, I find Leaving Cert History very interesting and manageable. I also find LC English quite doable so I don't think the Law side of the degree would be too difficult. I am also considering History and Political Science but I fear that there aren't many employment opportunities for someone with a degree in History.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Law and Business or Law and Political Science? 1 vote

Law and Business
    0%
    Law and Political Science
    100%
    Juuxo 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In ten years time, what would you like to be doing at work every day? What industry, what conversations would you be having?
    Try to think about this and then see which option may best facilitate moving in that direction.

Talk to the course tutors about the actual content and your concerns to get their opinions. If you look on Linkedin, you will likely find people who completed one degree or the other and they may even be willing to discuss with you if you reach out to them.

As you can see, I am not talking about the actual courses as I am not experience/qualified in law (engineering background here) but I do have a bit of experience in considering career options and how to go about it.

Also, take the poll results (whatever they may be) with a grain of salt. You may not get massive numbers responding to it and so considering a swing in one direction could be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 michaelarcherr

Thanks.

I'm not quite certain where I see myself in ten years time; so I want to do a degree that would suit my capabilities and broaden my career options. I think a law-based degree would suit my skills. I will do some more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thanks.

I'm not quite certain where I see myself in ten years time; so I want to do a degree that would suit my capabilities and broaden my career options. I think a law-based degree would suit my skills. I will do some more research.

Years ago I was in a similar position. I visited the University in the UK where I was considering a course and ended up having conversations with some of the lecturers involved with the course. It was very helpful.

If you reach out to Trinity admissions, they may be able to point you in some direction to consider this.

Also, a large number of people move outside of their primary degree towards a different career direction, with this in mind, maybe the finance element would be more flexible but that is just a passing thought on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I'm trying to decide on which of these two degrees to put down as my first option. My concern with Law and Business is that there are economics and finance modules which I may potentially find difficult because I don't have a high standard of Maths. With regards to Political Science, I find Leaving Cert History very interesting and manageable. I also find LC English quite doable so I don't think the Law side of the degree would be too difficult. I am also considering History and Political Science but I fear that there aren't many employment opportunities for someone with a degree in History.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Did Business & Law a VERY long time ago. I had no Business LC subjects and quickly discovered that the Law side was my forte. I scrapped through Business in first year and chose hard Law subjects and waffly Business subjects thereafter. History will be a huge advantage with law-my sister is a solicitor and, like me, loved History. Although I took a different career path afterwards, I still highly regard the Business & Legal Studies Degree (think it’s called Business & Law now which shows how long ago I did it!!!)

Only noticed now this is a TCD course-I did BBLS in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 8 michaelarcherr

Thank you. I've heard mixed reviews about the business department in TCD; all positive re law school. Will do more research.

• Advertisement
Advertisement