Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty kettle

Options
  • 17-03-2019 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭

Bought a kettle in LIDL last year. 3 year warranty BUT I can’t find receipt.

Now the lid won’t open and there’s a screw lying on the bottom (glass sides so easy to see inside)

On the bottom of the kettle is manufacture’s label clearly showing ‘Silvercrest and 07/2018.

So well within normal warranty. Does anyone know -without the receipt- do I have a case of refund. (One of those LIDL lines that they don’t stock on a regular basis so chances of exchange or replacement is zero.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Own brand is enough evidence of purchase and you have a date there. I've had refunds/exchanges with the same sort of information but you're very likely to run across 'policy says no' with the store manager. Did you purchase by card by any chance?

I'd personally look for a credit rather than a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The store decides whether it is repair, replacement or refund.

I would opt for a credit note, as suggested, if you are given that option.
    I would say your chances of cash refund without receipt/proof of purchase are low.,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lidl tend to be quite good at dealing with issues. The store manager may direct you towards he Silvercrest customer service line, but you won’t know until you go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lidl are funny about receipts. I've had complete replacements of some expensive items with no receipt asked for (although I did have them) and cheap items where no way I could get a replacement without a receipt.

Now the last item I got a replacement for was an electric toothbrush and all they wanted to know by phone was if I had the receipt and how much it said the item cost on the receipt so if you know exactly what you paid that might get you sorted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cerco wrote: »
    The store decides whether it is repair, replacement or refund.

Not sure about that, I thought there needs to be agreement between the two parties.

OP, any Lidl on your cr card bill from around the time you bought it will do.
    Do you remember when you bought it, if within 6months then Lidl should accept that the fault was there at time of purchase, I doubt they would send off for repair and would most likely (with a proper manager) offer a cash refund there and then.
    Do not be fobbed off to any manufacturer helpline, your contract is with Lidl, get them to deal with it.

Be firm and polite and stand your ground

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

dudara wrote: »
    Lidl tend to be quite good at dealing with issues. The store manager may direct you towards he Silvercrest customer service line, but you won’t know until you go in.

Thanks to everybody who replied.

I visited LIDL with the kettle today and as Dudara posts was directed to call the LIDL/Silvercrest helpline. VERY friendly lady on the line took my details and the IAN number ( not the serial nunber), she explained that the product had a repair/replacement agreement with xxxx(I can’t remember) and asked me to hold on while she transferred me. The line was on answering machine for a few minutes with a bit of stuff about GDPR policy and then a lady was on the line asking me for the IAN again and the colour of the kettle. She then asked me for my postcode (EIRCODE) and said a replacement kettle would be posted to me from Germany, and to dispose of the faulty kettle when it arrived. I’m not 100% clear if I was talking to a lady in Ireland or Germany. ( My guess is Germany).

Anyway happy days. LIDL were excellent to deal with.

Thanks again everyone.

Advertisement