Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy scans

Options
  • 17-03-2019 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all, first time pregnancy. I'm thinking of going semi private with the Rotunda. What are the usual scans that I'd have? Can I request one at 8 weeks, is this a usual thing to do? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Your first scan is usually your booking visit scan at 12- 14 weeks unless you present with issues before then. I know myself and my friends have all paid private companies for scans around the 8 week mark, it is about €100 but provides reassurance.

Scans in the public system are booking visit and anomaly at 20-22 weeks. I think that's it, again unless you have any issues.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you're semi private in the rotunda, you'll get your first scan at the 12 week booking appointment and then you get scanned at every check up afterwards (the hospital ones - not the gp. You see the midwife first, then the consultant, and he or she gives a quick scan too) I got an early scan at Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock and found them very good. I don't think the hospital will scan you at 8 weeks unless there's a complication, but you could always ask when you ring to book.

Advertisement