Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope/mount problem

• 17-03-2019 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi lads.
    Looking for some opinions on what action I should take with my rifle.
    It's a remington vssf in .220 swift.
    It's a cracking gun but every now and then the scope slips out of kilter and I end up having to re zero it and completely lose confidence in it if I pull a shot out lamping.

So here's my thinking, new mounts and scope or could it be something else.

The mounts that are on it have some type of windage screw on the rear one that I am nearly certain doesn't stay put.
    The scope that's on it is a fairly new Bushnell banner dusk and dawn but my local dealer will take it in as a trade against a Hawke crossfire and put a new set of Remington mounts on it for me too for a decent price.

I know if I went down that road the scope and mounts would be bang on but would there be any noticeable difference in the newer scope compared to the Bushnell?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Richard308

Personally I’d put new bases on with loctite, good quality rings, mounted and torqued correctly. Bushnell would in my opinion be a better lowlight scope. But I’m sure there will be other opinions. Personal preference really. Maybe a picatinny rail with action mounted recoil lug would be better than bases.
    Hi lads.
    Looking for some opinions on what action I should take with my rifle.
    It's a remington vssf in .220 swift.
    It's a cracking gun but every now and then the scope slips out of kilter and I end up having to re zero it and completely lose confidence in it if I pull a shot out lamping.

So here's my thinking, new mounts and scope or could it be something else.

The mounts that are on it have some type of windage screw on the rear one that I am nearly certain doesn't stay put.
    The scope that's on it is a fairly new Bushnell banner dusk and dawn but my local dealer will take it in as a trade against a Hawke crossfire and put a new set of Remington mounts on it for me too for a decent price.

I know if I went down that road the scope and mounts would be bang on but would there be any noticeable difference in the newer scope compared to the Bushnell?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I had a Bushnell banner dusk and dawn on a 17hmr and it didn't hold zero to well so on a swift I wouldn't hold much hope for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When you say out of kilter do you meant he scope moves in the rings or you believe this windage adjustment allows movement of the scope but the scopre remains tight within the rings?

In either instance it would appear a simple change of rings would eliminate this problem.

If you have lost belief in the scope then i'd recommend switching it to another rifle and testing it on that first. If it holds zero on a different rifle (with different rings, etc) then it's not the scope. If it doesn't then look at possibly replacing the scope too.

However start with the rings and if you don't already have it, a rail.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Pat McGroin

Thanks for the replies.
    I think starting with new bases and mounts would be a good start. Any suggestions on what brand/type ?
    I don't need top end target ones , just something solid.

I don't have access or time to go swapping scopes with another rifle unfortunately but it was a great suggestion.
    When I say out of kilter , I mean the scope goes out of zero and needs to be adjusted to get bang on again. Sometimes just a few clicks but a while back, I had to adjust the windage screw to get back to a poi that was within the adjustment of the scope.

Had it out this morning and it was left and low 5 clicks both ways. At this stage I'm just wasting ammo and educating foxes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Richard308

No point spending big money, search here. I think I saw someone selling a picatinny rail on here for a remy 700. If it has the recoil lug it should help recoil movement on zero of scope. Any rings that suit. Especially when you aren’t 100% sure what issue is. Swift is a great Round I love it.
    Thanks for the replies.
    I think starting with new bases and mounts would be a good start. Any suggestions on what brand/type ?
    I don't need top end target ones , just something solid.

I don't have access or time to go swapping scopes with another rifle unfortunately but it was a great suggestion.
    When I say out of kilter , I mean the scope goes out of zero and needs to be adjusted to get bang on again. Sometimes just a few clicks but a while back, I had to adjust the windage screw to get back to a poi that was within the adjustment of the scope.

Had it out this morning and it was left and low 5 clicks both ways. At this stage I'm just wasting ammo and educating foxes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

Hi Pat, Ive a few mounting bits n bobs at home from an old rem 700. In fact if memory serves me right ive a set of almost new Remington rings there too.
    Not looking a lot for them and can post if your interested

Damoeire33 wrote: »
    Hi Pat, Ive a few mounting bits n bobs at home from an old rem 700. In fact if memory serves me right ive a set of almost new Remington rings there too.
    Not looking a lot for them and can post if your interested

I'd definitely be interested, Thanks.
    Will you pm me the details of what you have and what you want for them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Bordglas

I had the same scope in optilok mounts and it would hold zero for a few outings then shots would be all over the place. Replaced the scope with a Meopta Meopro on the same mounts and I have not had any problems. Best of luck.

Hi pat, just seen your reply now. Ill check when in home and send you on a few pictures

Damoeire33 wrote: »
    Hi pat, just seen your reply now. Ill check when in home and send you on a few pictures

Here's what I have.
    I'll PM you my number

Damien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

If it falls through with damo I’d recommend warne mounts there solid steel I’ve them on 3 different rifles and sware by them all the rifles have held zero for years spot on with no messing.
    Nothing worse than a rifle shifting zero the whole time and not having any faith in it+you’d spend a fortune in Ammo constantly checking to see if it’s on or off!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Did you ever get sorted?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Did you ever get sorted?

I had a good think about it and weighed up all my options.
    In the end I dropped it into my local gun shop and got him to change mounts and the scope.
    He was almost certain it was the rear mount that was the issue but he gave me a great deal on a new vortex crossfire scope and took the Bushnell as a trade in .
    I'm really impressed by the clarity of the Vortex but haven't had a chance to get out with it yet.
    Watch this space ....

Thanks again to the lads on here for the suggestions.

Advertisement