Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming pool in Dublin - obese

Options
  • 17-03-2019 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am a severely obese woman (25+ stone) who has somehow managed to lose about 4 stone in the past few months, but have a veeeery long way to go and have hit a stall. I am dying to get moving a bit more in order to speed up the process and swimming is something i would love to do... However, obviously I suffer from major insecurities and the thought of everyone staring at me in a public pool is just killing me.

It may sound like a stupid question but can anyone recommend a swimming pool anywhere in Dublin that is not always packed? Maybe a less popular one... I live on the North side of Dublin but at this stage will travel anywhere. I have also been diagnosed with a condition that limits the movement in my ankles etc. so if you know of a pool that has steps rather than a ladder into the water, even better.

I'd imagine that water aerobics or any kind of classes like that would work better than just swimming on my own but that sounds even scarier! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I have no suggestion op I'm not based in Dublin but just wanted to say well bloody done! Also I do think that from my short lived time of going to the gym/pool as a size 16 I was so self conscious going in that people would be looking at me being shockingly unfit and jiggling about but honestly for the most part every one is there just focused on their own goals and were not in the least interested in my wobbly bits.
    I can't afford the membership anymore myself but I just say go for it! The world is made of all shapes and sizes and for the most part people are only encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Congrats on the weight loss OP. May be a bit far but Templeogue college pool is nearly always empty and has steps. I've been there on week nights and been the only one in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Good on ya for doing so well, I can't offer any suggestions but could you maybe ask someone to go with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Firstly, well done you!!

I've only used one pool in Dublin, in Sportsco in Ringsend - it's a great pool, 25m and they don't use chlorine so your eyes aren't hanging out of your head after a swim. And it has steps down into the shallow end.

I haven't been there in a while but I used to use it in the afternoon, and on occasion I was literally the only person in the pool, had the whole thing to myself.

They have hours where they're open to the general public (as in, I think, non-members of the whole club, but you might need to check that with the staff), details can be found on sportsco.ie - it's very popular in the evenings, but if you could manage odd hours during the day then I can highly recommend it.

ETA - swimming pool timetable here https://sportsco.ie/index.php/timetables/ (scroll down for the swimming pool one) and yes, there are hours and classes open to non-members

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Have you tried the CRC pool in Clontarf?
    I think they have some public swims and classes.
    It should be v accessable friendly too.
    Not many probably know about it and Westwood nearby probably takes through majority of swimmers.

And well done on your weight loss!!
    Keep it up!

Edit - here's the timetable.
    I'd even give them a ring to check when it isn't as busy.

https://www.crc.ie/crc-swimming-pool/hours/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Iveagh Fitness is based in city centre and depending on the time you go it can be fairly quiet. Also has steps into the pool and run aquafit classes.

http://www.iveaghfitness.ie/gallery.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 binana

No real suggestions, but morning times or mid afternoon tend to be the quietest in most pools if they don't have local schools in getting swimming lessons. I worked as a lifeguard for 5 years at a county council facility and just want to reassure you that absolutely nobody will make you feel uncomfortable or self conscious. So many different body types come in for exercise/rehab/just a relax. There's nothing to worry about.

Also aqua fit classes are loads of fun and most include a social aspect. The class I taught used to go out to the cafe after class for tea and a chat. Best of luck on your weight loss journey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I'm a member of the council gym in Ballymun.
    • Great facility
    • Steps into the main pool
    • Kids pool that goes from ankle depth to waist (on adult), also steps
    • There's a Active Aqua class there that looks very gentle, pretty much everybody does their own pace (tends to be an older group)

Timetable here, really only busy evenings and weekend and if a school is in.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-culture-and-amenities-sport-and-recreation-sports-and-fitness-centres-leisure-3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Another opinion that your best bet is to attend a daytime aqua fit/ aqua aerobics class. They won't necessarily be quiet but they will be populated with people who
    a) won't give 2 f**is what you look like
    b) will be old/wise enough to realise that you might be uncomfortable in the situation

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

Stewart's sports centre in palmerstown just off the m50 reasonably priced never too busy and have separate changing rooms if needed. Use it a lot myself as not a great swimmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Northside swimming pool is usually nice and empty.
    the times are very hit and miss so best to ring them and see when they are open.
    Phone: (01) 847 7743

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bruisedego

Congratulations on loosing that o.p. that's brilliant.

I lost some weight over the years and honestly I'm as conscious lighter than heavier....but...anytime I go to the pool I think about myself and how I wish I was skinny or tanned or a model or I'm preoccupied with thoughts about work or the to do list etc so I don't notice others around me.

People are more focused on themselves than others - I believe that and can vouch for being like that.

Don't worry about other people, they are too busy worrying about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I don't know if you want to join a gym but Ben Dunne in Northside have a lovely pool with steps. They have 3 lanes closed and then rest open for those doing pool running or taking it easy.

I used it when I was recovering from knee surgery. Never too packed but that was 3 years ago now.

Well done on the weight loss.

The CRC is a good option as nice and small and you can pay as you go, warmer than others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some pools have ladies only sessions which might be of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

aquinn wrote: »
    I don't know if you want to join a gym but Ben Dunne in Northside have a lovely pool with steps. They have 3 lanes closed and then rest open for those doing pool running or taking it easy.

I used it when I was recovering from knee surgery. Never too packed but that was 3 years ago now.

Well done on the weight loss.

The CRC is a good option as nice and small and you can pay as you go, warmer than others too.

My suggestion too.

Although it does have three lanes for swim training the other lanes are open and you'd be surprised at the amount of people of all shapes, weights and abilities using the open lanes for rehab and learning to swim.

A lot of over weight people are put off by the thoughts of a gym of super fit people judging them on their weight & appearance, but the opposite is usually the case, ie the majority of the bigger gyms are full of people like yourself who are just trying to lose weight and get into shape.

Been there, done that & lost six stone in 2017. You'd do well in Ben Dunnes, its also got two huge jacuzzi's poolside too.

Well done on the weight loss :D

Advertisement