Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass shooting in Utrecht

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

vicwatson wrote: »
    Sounds like Dublin on a Saturday night

No it doesn't.

Another one? Good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Mass immigration is too blame for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Just SHUT UP!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You seem to know more than has been announced.
    Do you know something g or are you just a presumptive racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A cultural diversity incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

You seem to know more than has been announced.
    Do you know something g or are you just a presumptive racist?

Odds on this being a religious based attack??? It's not presumptive at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I hope whoever was responsible for this is caught and whatever network they rely on for their weapons and propaganda are identified and dismantled. Whether it's islamic terrorism, or neo-nazi terrorism or any other extremist group, this kind of senseless violence has absolutely no place in a civilised and beautiful city like Utrecht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

Hate filled extremists (ie, inadequates) on all sides are responsible - pumping out their bile and bigotry on internet forums (to feel big, get likes, whatever), while being indifferent to where there words and ideology leads to when turned to murder by the sociopathically inclined. Or maybe not indifferent - more delighted - as violence by any one side leads to more slaughter all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Danzy wrote: »
    A cultural diversity incident.

Part and parcel of living in a big city, innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Going to Utrecht myself this Friday.
    Awful news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So its an issue of religion being a stupid, pointless, ridiculous dividing construct?

and not an immigration issue so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

There was a train strike this morning so I worked from home for the day instead- maybe a lot of others did the same. Couldn't be happier to be at home with my family if these lunatics are on the loose, even if they're not.

I've been dreading this since Charlie Hebdo to be honest, the Dutch police are doing an amazing job at thwarting incidents before they happen but it was only a matter of time before something succeeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

DrumSteve wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

Yes, it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yes, it does

It was shît the first time.
    No need to double down.

He won't get many thanks for. Despicable comment.

Just shut up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's amazing to me that you two just happen to have completely ignored the thread on the NZ shootings. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.

So its an issue of religion being a stupid, ridiculous dividing construct?

and not an immigration issue so.

It is an issue of extreme free marketers mass importing people who have a very different culture.

This is just the inevitable outcome. They'll be the first to call for solidarity, charlatans.

It was shthe first time.
    No need to double down.

Sorry, I don't speak American

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sky reporting gunfire near a mosque nearbye too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's amazing to me that you two just happen to have completely ignored the thread on the NZ shootings. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.

An absolutely horrible, heart breaking incident that should never have been allowed to happen. What more needs to be said?

Sky reporting gunfire near a mosque nearbye too.

This has just been reported by the police as being false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Sorry, I don't speak American

You're embarrassing yourself Vic.
    You should consider a re-reg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Here we go more excuses for Islam bashing.
    It's a religion of peace all these lone wolf be attacks don't speak for Muslims.
    However that head case in NZ does speak for all white Christians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

We will fight them with eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Here we go more excuses for Islam bashing.
    It's a religion of peace all these lone wolf be attacks don't speak for Muslims.
    However that head case in NZ does speak for all white Christians

It mostly goes the other way around. We treat white men as lone wolves and Muslims as representative of a religion of a billion people who are, in the main, entirely peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The right wishing its a muslim.
    The left wishing its a white male.

Both groups have agendas. Think it would be great if these jihadists and white saviours would just all go into a locked room and shoot each other.

You're embarrassing yourself Vic.
    You should consider a re-reg

Nice.

I still don't speak American and I don't tolerate bullies either

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    We will fight them with eggs

You'll get a "diversity is a strength" behind the ear and you better be grateful for it.

No need to be so outraged just stating an opinion that is backed up by facts care to tell me how many terror attacks were committed in Europe by non immigrants in the last 10 years in comparison to terror attacks committed by immigrants.

Most mass shootings that make the news are incel white kids in the US. Why no mention of those? Because they don’t suit your narrative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Quite the sniping, speculation and off topic posting in this thread.

Cards handed out and more to follow if people cannot adhere to the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Lillyfae wrote: »
    There was a train strike this morning so I worked from home for the day instead- maybe a lot of others did the same. Couldn't be happier to be at home with my family if these lunatics are on the loose, even if they're not.

I've been dreading this since Charlie Hebdo to be honest, the Dutch police are doing an amazing job at thwarting incidents before they happen but it was only a matter of time before something succeeded.

Do you live in Utrecht?

pajor wrote: »
    Do you live in Utrecht?

Close by, the Netherlands is a small and very well connected country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Close by, the Netherlands is a small and very well connected country.

I know.. I live in the Veluwe!

• Advertisement

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Most mass shootings that make the news are incel white kids in the US. Why no mention of those? Because they don’t suit your narrative?

I wasn't talking about America I was talking about Europe so I don't see the relevance of your point. I highly doubt anyone will answer my question anyway because it doesn't fit in with their agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

yutfirst wrote:
    Sky News live updates.

Yes I caught you cited that, but good courtesy to show your info is sourced by throwing up links. Anyone can throw up an update and claim it comes from a source, but without link, it can be time consuming to verify all the claims that will be made in a thread like this.

If you are reading the updates yourself it's the work of 10 seconds to copy and paste a link like....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I wasn't talking about America I was talking about Europe so I don't see the relevance of your point. I highly doubt anyone will answer my questions anyway because it doesn't fit in with their agenda.

You’ve one post on this thread and it wasn’t a question so don’t be playing that card.

Police on Sky News now saying shots have been fired in several locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Shooting at several locations in Utrecht.
    Country at Level 5 alert
    A/C BBC news. Sorry can't do link on phone

I wasn't talking about America I was talking about Europe so I don't see the relevance of your point. I highly doubt anyone will answer my question anyway because it doesn't fit in with their agenda.

Most recent mass shootings in mainland Europe have been carried out by ISIS or those inspired by ISIS.

Most recent mass shootings in the US have been carried out by disgruntled white men.

I would be more interested in an analysis of what causes a man (and it is almost exclusively a male thing) to go out and kill a few dozen people - is it a combination of psychiatric issues, dangerous ideologies and access to high powered weapons? Seems to be.

Rather than blaming mass immigration (when we can clearly see this regularly happens in situations where immigration is not a factor) it would be more useful to have a conversation about how we can stop young men (and older men) from becoming radicalized, and how we can identify those who have been radicalized before they carry out an attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

Danzy wrote: »
    It is an issue of extreme free marketers mass importing people who have a very different culture.

Which "culture" did Brevik come from? Tarrant? Bowers ?

The exact same "culture" that violent islamists come from. The culture of fear and hatred of the other - the different, or whatever term you prefer.
    This is the culture that we need to combat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

" The police are currently looking for the perpetrator."

Worrying

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Shooting at several locations in Utrecht.
    Country at Level 5 alert
    A/C BBC news. Sorry can't do link on phone

I didn't see the press conference but it's being reported in the Dutch news that only Utrecht is on level 5 and there have been no other incidents.

Most recent mass shootings in mainland Europe have been carried out by ISIS or those inspired by ISIS.

Most recent mass shootings in the US have been carried out by disgruntled white men.

I would be more interested in an analysis of what causes a man (and it is almost exclusively a male thing) to go out and kill a few dozen people - is it a combination of psychiatric issues, dangerous ideologies and access to high powered weapons? Seems to be.

Rather than blaming mass immigration (when we can clearly see this regularly happens in situations where immigration is not a factor) it would be more useful to have a conversation about how we can stop young men (and older men) from becoming radicalized, and how we can identify those who have been radicalized before they carry out an attack.

So it is men rather than extreme free-market politics on migration.

The working-class aren't buying that any more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The right wishing its a muslim.
    The left wishing its a white male.

Both groups have agendas.

Normal people wishing it doesn't happen it all, including many on the right and left

If anyone here is on Snapchat - the most recent public snap from Utrecht showing 3 lads climbing over a fence but I can’t understand the text that’s with the snap. Are they just evacuating an area?

Hope screenshot works.

E41814-A3-332-A-4-B96-A7-F4-0-CBD01-BECA9-C.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I didn't see the press conference but it's being reported in the Dutch news that only Utrecht is on level 5 and there have been no other incidents.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Netherlands is my second home due to all the time I’ve spent there, and I think their police do a great job.

Hoping for swift and secure resolution to this.

While I agree that, that would be a good way of understanding the underlying problems/issues that cause these mass shootings/terror attacks. Which would hopefully result in less of them occurring in the future.

Would you not agree that if we had less immigration in Europe we'd have less terror attacks in Europe because statistically speaking the majority of terror attacks that are committed in Europe are committed by immigrants. Even though their radicalisation will have spurred them on to commit the terror attacks if they weren't here in the first place it wouldn't have happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

A sister of my wife's friend from work is over there for the weekend.
    Please God she is okay

• Advertisement
Advertisement