Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass shooting in Utrecht

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I definitely would rather my chances in the Schilderswijk

You sure about that?

2601987.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

inforfun wrote: »
    You sure about that?

2601987.jpg

As it happens that's about five minutes walk from where I used to live in Den Haag :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

They have him apparently, just saw on NOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

And here he is insulting a Dutch reporter in 2011 (white shirt)

What's he saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

What's he saying?

Looks like he is abusing her because of what she is wearing?

• Advertisement

What's he saying?

Stuff i dont really like to translate.
    Let say a combination of "whore" and a terminal disease.

Of course for the way she was dressed.

What's he saying?

Calling her a slut and telling her her arse is hanging out and everyone's looking at it. Amongst other nasty things.

pajor wrote: »
    They have him apparently, just saw on NOS.

https://twitter.com/maxuitutrecht/status/1107698148166811650?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Was he hiding out in that flat all along?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Was he hiding out in that flat all along?

No idea.
    But it is only a short distance from where it all happened

• Advertisement

Stuff i dont really like to translate.

They need to go into those places with snatch squads until those fuckers are afraid to look sideways at a woman. If they don't like the way western woman dress then piss off to Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

They are the nicest,cleanest looking police cars since Eddie Murphy went to Beverley Hills :):)

They are the nicest,cleanest looking police cars since Eddie Murphy went to Beverley Hills :):)

Those only come out in these kind of situations.

But i grew up in Rotterdam with these

44285548651_592beac2dc_b.jpg
    Quite handy as you heard them coming from 5 blocks away

And these on the motorways

AVD_Alg_12.50H_77__73-SK-85_ts_0004%20(V).jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Why was he in the Netherlands?

He has a serious criminal record, why wasn't he deported?

The rich kid activists against deportations played their part in this.

They need to go into those places with snatch squads until those fuckers are afraid to look sideways at a woman. If they don't like the way western woman dress then piss off to Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan.

The extreme neoliberal multiculturalism of modern society has turned Amsterdam in to the gay bashing capital of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And we are off..........

Inquitus wrote: »
    Well a Turkish Muslim goes and shoots a load of non-Muslims on a tram a couple of days after the despicable attack in NZ, seems that that was likely the motivation?

There are plots being broken up on a near daily basis now across Europe.

It certainly probably added to it but the attacks will keep coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boggles wrote: »
    And we are off..........

He hasn't used the "l" word yet amazingly.

Seems he was shouting Allah hu Akbar as he left the scene.

Increasingly looks like an Islamic attack.

f81108faee7bf0c017fd5895f3c117cb.jpg

Here he is on the left (with the lovely finger point "salute") and his brother on the right.
    His brother is also arrested. Not sure if it is this one. No idea how many brothers and\or sisters the twat has.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Just got word my wife's friend from work sister is fine. She missed the whole incident by two hours so close.
    Thank god,
    thoughts and prayers with the victims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Snatch squads? S.S. for short? i think they've tried that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

MrFresh wrote:
    Snatch squads? S.S. for short? i think they've tried that before.

Trying to be funny?
    There is no common meaning / different language etc. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No-one else but a closet nazi would make that aSSociation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

no.8 wrote: »
    Trying to be funny?
    There is no common meaning / different language etc. Ridiculous.

No common meaning? A group of people who kidnap citizens for thinking the wrong way and force them to think the right way through fear. Seems pretty similar to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

MOD-KNOCK IT THE FüCK OFF OR THERE WILL BE BANS. LAST WARNING SO DON'T COME WHINGING TO ME WHEN YOU GET BANNED.

MrFresh wrote: »
    No common meaning? A group of people who kidnap citizens for thinking the wrong way and force them to think the right way through fear. Seems pretty similar to me.

I think you're confusing abusive behaviour, which is illegal, with thoughts which are not.

The 3 victims are 2 young women and a father of 2.

The rape victim has been interviewed by a newspaper.
    Used to do coke with him on a regular basis but wouldnt call it a relationship she was in with him (news reported the rape case victim was his ex-girlfriend) and... there comes the clanger, despite several breaches of his parole and warning of this victim that "he could be a complete nutcase", still was let go outside after being arrested for his parole violations.

3rd guy arrested. Probably the guy who took him in his house where he was arrested.

The brother who has been arrested is known to the AIVD, the Dutch intelligence service.
    The kind of people that doesnt start knowing you because you steal bicycles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Any word if one or any of the victims were known to him?
    Doesn't seem like a random attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Why is he wearing two left runners?

One is an alt-right

Some more info\facts.

1 of the victims is a 19 year old girl who tried to help the person who was shot.
    2nd victim is a father of 3. Coach of a youth team at a football club. (that website might not survive the attention much longer)
    3rd victim, a woman, rumoured to be an aunt of the shooter or sister in law. No confirmed though.

There were some reports during the search from BBC Turkey that the **** had been fighting in Chechnya but it is more or less confirmed it was he, now also arrested, brother who went there. Radicalised muslim who still has links to Cemaleddin Kaplan,

The piece of **** himself racked up 7 convictions in the last 7 years for burglary, assault and unloading a gun at a flat in 2013 amongst others.

And now he was on trial for rape and the people who think you can fix everybody thought it a good idea to let him outside, despite him violating his parole several times.

And oh, to make my point a bit clearer about what a ****hole Kanaleneiland is, earlier in the thread:

https://twitter.com/TomasBXL/status/1107740674445770752

Just scroll a bit through the comments of that tweet. About 0 people surprised this happened

Official police statement, google translated:
    Utrecht - Yesterday, Monday, March 18, was the serious shooting incident in a tram on 24 Octoberplein in Utrecht. The police and the Public Prosecution Service continued the criminal investigation last night. The investigation is in full swing.

Tram Utrecht
    Three people died in the shooting incident. This is a 19-year-old woman from Vianen and two men aged 28 and 49 from Utrecht. In addition, three people were seriously injured (20-year-old woman from Utrecht, 74-year-old man from De Meern and a 21-year-old woman from Nieuwegein). In the hectic situation that arose immediately after the shooting, four people were also, as far as is known, slightly injured as they fell, for example.

No relationship
    At the beginning of Monday evening, the police were already able to report that the main suspect, a 37-year-old man from Utrecht, could be arrested in a house on Oudenoord. The investigation has so far revealed no relationship between the main suspect and the victims. A firearm was found during his arrest.

In connection with the investigation, the police carried out searches in houses in various locations in Utrecht and elsewhere yesterday and last night. In addition to the main suspect, two other suspects were arrested. These are men from Utrecht aged 23 and 27. Of these men, the police investigate whether they are possibly involved in the shooting incident. The suspects are still detained and will be further interrogated.

The police and the Public Prosecution Service continue to investigate today, including the motive. So far, a terrorist motive has been seriously taken into account. Among other things, a letter found in the flight car and the nature of the fact give cause for this. Other motives are not excluded, they are also being investigated. Furthermore, agents will be visibly present in the neighborhoods and in contact with relevant parties.

More and more indications this was a terrorist attack.
    Stuff found in the car he stole point to this.
    His dad and brother known to be salafists.

And how did they track him down?

The monitored his phone number but it was an old one he probably didnt use anymore.
    They also monitored his bank account, and low and behold, at 1 point aan internet banking transaction was made from an unknown phone.
    Quick legal procedure to get a warrant to find that phone brought them to the flat where he was hiding.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And how did they track him down?

The monitored his phone number but it was an old one he probably didnt use anymore.
    They also monitored his bank account, and low and behold, at 1 point aan internet banking transaction was made from an unknown phone.
    Quick legal procedure to get a warrant to find that phone brought them to the flat where he was hiding.
    Is this meant to imply some kind of terrorist stuff?
    FFS, that wasn't worth the effort of typing out!

• Advertisement

The message(s) they found in the car he had stolen and later abandoned that he acted in the name of allah (nsfh) added to the fact that there is no relation whatsoever between him and the victims, something that was earlier implied, makes the authorities go for the terrorist attack

It does imply it though, we now know the theory of a personal motive is incorrect and that the note he left does fit in with an Islamic motive.

People probably though he knew the woman he shot because he was insulting her about her clothes but the way western women dress is a significant source of anger for many devout Muslims.

The Muslim Brotherhood was founded by a man who went to America and was outraged by the skirts.

Danzy wrote: »
    It does imply it though, we now know the theory of a personal motive is incorrect and that the note he left does fit in with an Islamic motive.
    Bo11ocks!
    What I quoted could only imply a link to terrorism if you wanted it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Doing a spot of internet banking implies it's terrorism? that's the bit Seth Brundle quoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair until we get confirmation it's all up in the air. He doers fit the profile that we've seen before for islamic terrorist. Arrested before, not actually that holy, etc.,.

However that also fits the profile of a scumbag who might target someone on a bus. All we can really do is just wait and see.

• Advertisement

Bo11ocks!

You selectively quoted the bit under the line "how they tracked him down" and ignored the bit which was about motivations.

His post implies a link to terror, too short a quote, easy mistake.

People probably though he knew the woman he shot because he was insulting her about her clothes but the way western women dress is a significant source of anger for many devout Muslims.

The Muslim Brotherhood was founded by a man who went to America and was outraged by the skirts.

The video in which he insulted the reporter was from 2011. That reporter was no where near the events of yesterday. But it does give you an idea of his character.
    SPDUB wrote: »
    Doing a spot of internet banking implies it's terrorism? that's the bit Seth Brundle quoted

But not what i posted. The internet banking bit i mentioned is what made it possible for the police to know where he was.
    Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair until we get confirmation it's all up in the air. He doers fit the profile that we've seen before for islamic terrorist. Arrested before, not actually that holy, etc.,.

However that also fits the profile of a scumbag who might target someone on a bus. All we can really do is just wait and see.

Reports are there from one day being a devout muslim and the next day he was stuffing his nose with coke and getting wasted on alcohol. And back to being a good muslim and back to coke. Rinse and repeat.

Bo11ocks!

Honestly I'm at a complete loss as to what you're getting annoyed about.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Honestly I'm at a complete loss as to what you're getting annoyed about.
    Whilst I'm not annoyed, maybe read it again if you dont see the point I'm making!

Whilst I'm not annoyed, maybe read it again if you dont see the point I'm making!

You make no point at all.

The first part of my post, which you didnt quote for some reason, is the one where i point out the authorities are considering the terrorist motive, i.e a terrorist attack.

The 2nd part of my post, the internet banking stuff, i only posted because that is how they were able to locate him. I didnt add that as apart of the motive and neither do the authorities.

I think you are the only one who didnt get the 2 part post, 2 different subjects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

And that was in the 1940s.

You're not making a point, even if you're trying. Just tell us what the point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Still nothing confirmed yet.

Wonder what the letter in the car said. Police going to investigate a possible terrorist motive, neighbours and people who know of him say he's a loser/petty criminal/drug user and psychopath.

Had also just recently been released from prison apparently. Maybe he will claim a terrorist motive for his actions, but this seems more likely to be the case of one crazy evil man acting on his own, than that of a plan laid out by a terrorist group.

Again we will have to wait and see, been unusual how reports and motives keep flying back and forth with this one.

Elections in The Netherlands today so this is already pushed to the background anyway.

However....

(Used google translate, too much text otherwise)

WHAT DO WE KNOW

- He is the main suspect in the case, but a co-suspect is currently being held
    - He is 37 years old and born in Turkey, but has been living in the Netherlands for quite some time
    - In 2011 he was in this video (the one i posted earlier)
    - In 2014 he was acquitted of attempted homicide
    - He was then convicted of illegal possession of weapons and attempted theft
    - On August 25, 2017, he was taken into pre-trial detention for a rape
    - He was released on September 21, 2017
    - On January 4, 2019, it turned out that he had not adhered to the conditions of his release, and he was again taken into custody
    - His release request was rejected on January 31, 2019.
    - On February 27, 2019, he promised to the court that he would cooperate in a personality investigation
    - He was released on March 1, 2019, the president of the court said today in the Telegraaf: "purely legally objectively, we would make the same decision today"
    - The PPS takes serious account of a terrorist motive, among other things because of a letter found in the red Renault Clio in which he fled
    - Other motives are not excluded
    - The investigation has not shown any relationship between Tanis and the victims so far
    - On March 4, 2019, he was sentenced to 2 weeks in prison for bicycle theft
    - On March 5, 2019, he was sentenced to 4 months in prison for a burglary

What we don't know
    - WHY THE **** WAS HE OUTSIDE?

Elections in The Netherlands today so this is already pushed to the background anyway.

However....

(Used google translate, too much text otherwise)

WHAT DO WE KNOW

- He is the main suspect in the case, but a co-suspect is currently being held
    - He is 37 years old and born in Turkey, but has been living in the Netherlands for quite some time
    - In 2011 he was in this video (the one i posted earlier)
    - In 2014 he was acquitted of attempted homicide
    - He was then convicted of illegal possession of weapons and attempted theft
    - On August 25, 2017, he was taken into pre-trial detention for a rape
    - He was released on September 21, 2017
    - On January 4, 2019, it turned out that he had not adhered to the conditions of his release, and he was again taken into custody
    - His release request was rejected on January 31, 2019.
    - On February 27, 2019, he promised to the court that he would cooperate in a personality investigation
    - He was released on March 1, 2019, the president of the court said today in the Telegraaf: "purely legally objectively, we would make the same decision today"
    - The PPS takes serious account of a terrorist motive, among other things because of a letter found in the red Renault Clio in which he fled
    - Other motives are not excluded
    - The investigation has not shown any relationship between Tanis and the victims so far
    - On March 4, 2019, he was sentenced to 2 weeks in prison for bicycle theft
    - On March 5, 2019, he was sentenced to 4 months in prison for a burglary

What we don't know
    - WHY THE **** WAS HE OUTSIDE?

Why wasn't he immediately deported upon sentencing?

Why is his brother who fought in Chechnya not deported?

The story will quickly drop off the radar because it is just another Islamic attack, no longer a big story.

In the Working Class areas of Europe though it resonates more and anger slowly builds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement