Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compatible graphic card

Options
  • 18-03-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all

I am looking to replace the graphic card on my PC. Currently a HD 6950 (1GB) for something a bit better. The mobo is a MSI p67a-g45.
    I do not want to spend a fortune, just upgrade to a better card to improve general gaming.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What processor do you have? The HD6950 is an old card now, but if you have say, a 2nd gen i3 or i5, the improvement will be very limited as either CPU would be a serious bottleneck in most new games.

What's the total budget to spend? I would say a 2nd hand i7-2600 + 2nd hand RX570 for less than 200 in total would be a big upgrade and allow you to play all modern games at good settings at 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 galycos

current cpu is i5-2500k. I do not want to replace the CPU as I am a casual gamer, no intention to play newer games in max settings.

It's not about settings really, it's about ability to hold a framerate. The CPU is very old now and a lot of the latest games would only run at 30-40fps with a fair few spikes no matter what graphics card is installed.

It does depend on the games, but something like Battlefield V or the newest Assassins Creed would be a really bad time on a 2500K, for example, even with a decent overclock.

That's why an i7-2600 + RX570 2nd hand would offer way better performance for 200, than say, a new RX580 for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

my old setup was an oc'ed 2500k with an r9 390 and I was easily getting 60-90 fps on high

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

I would think you would be OK to try a newer GPU. Look in donedeal. a reasonable 9 or 10 series Nvidea would make a good difference. I put a 1060 with my i7 2600k and it works well for the games I play, iracing assetto dirt F1 ect...

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    my old setup was an oc'ed 2500k with an r9 390 and I was easily getting 60-90 fps on high

Neither of those are the newest AC or Battlefield games though which is the point I was making. AC:O or BFV online are bad times on a 2500K. And that BF1 video is single player, try playing BF1 online. I've played BF1 on a stock 2500 non-k, some maps it dips to 25fps and avg was about 45.

It really just depends on the games, but the latest AAA games will suffer, and it will only get worse in the next year or two.

Advertisement