Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank account number/sort code

Options
  • 18-03-2019 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi there.

If someone got hold of your bank account / sort code / BIC / IBAN numbers, could they access your account or use them for some other criminal purpose?

I send clients invoices by email with my bank account / sort code / BIC/ IBAN numbers so I am wondering how safe that would be if someone hacked into my email account?

I haven't given anyone my PIN, personal access number, card number or online password.

I haven't seen any suspicious activity in my bank account.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Hi there.

If someone got hold of your bank account / sort code / BIC / IBAN numbers, could they access your account or use them for some other criminal purpose?

I send clients invoices by email with my bank account / sort code / BIC/ IBAN numbers so I am wondering how safe that would be if someone hacked into my email account?

I haven't given anyone my PIN, personal access number, card number or online password.

Any advice appreciated.
    You should be fine really. If that information was compromised, I would inform the bank though. They can put a "caution" on your account which would alert a cashier if someone were to come into a bank and try to withdraw funds as you.

I was only talking to my wife about this earlier. I think it would be far worse to lose your card details and the PIN than to lose your bank account details. They can't do a whole lot if they just have your BIC and IBAN really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi there.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Buteo Buteo,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

We would always advise customers to only provide or disclose their account details to reputable third parties. We would advise keeping a regular check on your account and any uncertainty of transactions please do reach out to our colleagues on our ROI Freephone number 1800 946 764.

Thanks Again, Jen 

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Buteo Buteo

Hi there.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Buteo Buteo,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

We would always advise customers to only provide or disclose their account details to reputable third parties. We would advise keeping a regular check on your account and any uncertainty of transactions please do reach out to our colleagues on our ROI Freephone number 1800 946 764.

Thanks Again, Jen 
    Thanks Jennifer for getting back to me.

I have changed my online password. So apart from keeping an eye on my account, there's not much else I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Buteo Buteo

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Hi there.

Any advice appreciated.
    You should be fine really. If that information was compromised, I would inform the bank though. They can put a "caution" on your account which would alert a cashier if someone were to come into a bank and try to withdraw funds as you.

I was only talking to my wife about this earlier. I think it would be far worse to lose your card details and the PIN than to lose your bank account details. They can't do a whole lot if they just have your BIC and IBAN really
    Thanks Ally. Yeah, I reckon I'll be ok. My email password was compromised so that's why I'm asking. I rang the bank's fraud department and they say that there's not much fraudsters can do with just your account number and sort code, they would need your personal access number as well. I suppose I'm just looking for a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer for getting back to me.

I have changed my online password. So apart from keeping an eye on my account, there's not much else I can do?

We are happy to help.

If you do notice anything on your account which you are unsure of we would recommend that you contact us on the Freephone number provided above and one of our advisors will be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks Again Jen

• Advertisement
Advertisement