Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best music player and dock in 2019?

Options
  • 18-03-2019 3:09pm

I used to have a reliable 250GB 30-pin iPod Classic, which is no longer made, and it could store all of my music without problem. I bought a Sony dock for it, and used to leave it playing my music in the kitchen.

Now, I'm left with a good music dock that has no music player to fit it.

I've no interest in subscribing to a music service as I have tons of downloaded music already. What, therefore, would be the best music player and dock I could buy to download my music and playlists to? Preferably with the sort of 250GB storage of the old iPOD Classic above.

I've an S7 as a phone, with 130GB or something external memory card, but I suspect I'll upgrade to the S10 in the next year and the connector will be different so it would be pointless to buy a dock to fit a connector that I won't have in a year.

All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I used to have a reliable 250GB 30-pin iPod Classic, which is no longer made, and it could store all of my music without problem. I bought a Sony dock for it, and used to leave it playing my music in the kitchen.

Now, I'm left with a good music dock that has no music player to fit it.

I've no interest in subscribing to a music service as I have tons of downloaded music already. What, therefore, would be the best music player and dock I could buy to download my music and playlists to? Preferably with the sort of 250GB storage of the old iPOD Classic above.

I've an S7 as a phone, with 130GB or something external memory card, but I suspect I'll upgrade to the S10 in the next year and the connector will be different so it would be pointless to buy a dock to fit a connector that I won't have in a year.

All suggestions welcome.

Could you not continue to use the S7 after you upgrade, just for the purpose of music playing?

Could you not continue to use the S7 after you upgrade, just for the purpose of music playing?

That would seem like a waste as I could sell the S7 for c €200 and put it towards the new phone, or towards a new music system. (I'm currently only using the S7 in the car for music; I've no music dock for it or any other player in the house.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As all current phones have it build in, consider Bluetooth speakers, so you can enjoy you media for a good while even after upgrading from S7 to S10 and further. Some of them speaker sets give decent power and are mobile as can run of battery's as well as from mains. Relative have this yoke - can confirm good battery hold and sound.

Disclaimer: I'm not advertising any seller nor brand, device was purchased in "unknown" store for ~€100 long ago. Other, similar devices available on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seems like a bit of an outdated concept anyway, surely you'd just be as well to get a bluetooth speaker and use your phone with it whenever you're home?

The idea of using physical connectors is way out of date, other than maybe a standard 2.5mm jack from dock/speaker to phone/device, but even that is cubersome compared to just using bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Would also suggest a bluetooth speaker and separate charger for phone.
    I'm impressed with the sound from the very small soundcore motion b speaker I got at Christmas. But most stereo systems these days also have bluetooth

Edit. Amazon echo dot (or presumably standard echo) also functions as decent bluetooth speaker along with its other functions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the Echo Dot would not be a good choice for a music player as it is too tinny, I have one but have a UE Boom paired with it

Alexa version

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

I would also agree wrt recommending a bluetooth speaker.

There are just so many more options available if you go down this route and you'd be future proofing your setup in advance of your next couple of upgrades or devices etc., regardless of which devices or brands you'll actually be using. And, as someone who also has the vast majority of their music downloaded, it works great when you're playing directly from your phone or whatever; especially when you have higher quality files such as Wavs or FLACs.

I bought an earlier iteration of the Bose SoundLink Mini around 5 years ago; and two phones and a tablet later, it's still going strong. Not only that, but it has fantastic sound reproduction for its size and, despite the fact that it's somewhat expensive, is easily one of the best purchases that I've ever made - I cannot recommend it highly enough!

"Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth speaker II

The SoundLink® Mini Bluetooth® speaker II delivers full, natural sound with dramatically deeper bass than you'd expect from an ultra-compact speaker.
    It also features a built-in microphone for taking calls, and makes easy wireless connections anytime, anywhere."

https://www.bose.ie/en_ie/products/speakers/portable_speakers/soundlink_mini_ii.html

Advertisement