Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford 1.8tdci 200k miles?

• 18-03-2019 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Would it be insane to look at a ford s max 1.8tdci with 200k miles on it.
    Car is tidy and looks well minded.
    Would I be nuts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wizard wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Would it be insane to look at a ford s max 1.8tdci with 200k miles on it.
    Car is tidy and looks well minded.
    Would I be nuts ?

Is there evidence of the wet belts being changed? It will be due at 200k miles I think for the third time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Wizard

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is there evidence of the wet belts being changed? It will be due at 200k miles I think for the third time.

He said there is history with it but I haven't gone to look yet.
    It's a 2007 so may still be wet chain setup ?
    If not and I was to replace timing and wet belt etc are those diesels ok for high mileage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it does indeed have a wet belt setup then your talking between 800 and 1000 to change it which I'd imagine is a fair percentage of the asking price of the car at this stage of its life. Those engines also go through dual mass flywheels and clutches rather frequently too. If the car has proof that those big things were done recently then it could be a decent enough buy at the right price. If there is no proof (receipts) that they were done then I'd tend to walk away as any of those jobs will make a cheap car expensive in the short to mid term.

Just keep in mind that some people can usually be parting with these cars at that mileage because they know there are some hefty bills due and don't want to spend money on it. The other side of the coin is that if you buy it for small money and just drive it until it goes bang then it owes you very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Wizard

bazz26 wrote: »
    If it does indeed have a wet belt setup then your talking between 800 and 1000 to change it which I'd imagine is a fair percentage of the asking price of the car at this stage of its life. Those engines also go through dual mass flywheels and clutches rather frequently too. If the car has proof that those big things were done recently then it could be a decent enough buy at the right price. If there is no proof (receipts) that they were done then I'd tend to walk away as any of those jobs will make a cheap car expensive in the short to mid term.

Just keep in mind that some people can usually be parting with these cars at that mileage because they know there are some hefty bills due and don't want to spend money on it. The other side of the coin is that if you buy it for small money and just drive it until it goes bang then it owes you very little.

I'll go and have a nosey and see how it is.
    Have no prob walking away from it.
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Wizard wrote: »
    I'll go and have a nosey and see how it is.
    Have no prob walking away from it.
    Thanks for your help

It should still have a timing chain with a dry toothed belt from the cam pulley to the fuel pump. Pre 08 is a chain afaik. Changing the pump belt is an easy job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The bottom run tensioner is distinguishable between chain and belt the Belt has a golden coloured head and the chain has a black head.
    If the heads are dirty or rusted then if you remove the tensioner and check the end of the hydraulic piston the belt has a flat end and the chain is domed.
    The tensioner head is behind the power steering pump bracket.

Advertisement