Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil tank disposal

• 18-03-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

I have a plastic oil tank that I want to dispose of. It's got a crack in it so it can't be used anymore, it has to be recycled. I don't have a way of transporting it (I don't have a trailer and even if I did my car doesn't have a hitch).
    Does anyone know of a service that collects it and takes it to the recycling centre? I am prepared to pay of course.It would have to be in the north Cork area.
    I could cut it up with an angle grinder and take the pieces to the recycling centre but that seems like an awful lot of work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

I got rid of one a few months back. The civic amenity center took it but I had a trailer. Think it cost €8 in total to dump it and it had to be empty.

Ask around, you surely know someone who has a trailer or a van. Throw them a tenner for fuel and go with them to help.
    Failing that if it was cut in half with a grinder it would fit into most hatchbacks, if the site was close enough you'd do it in 2 trips.
    Getting someone to collect and dump would cost a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Was it a Carbery plastics tank? Mine cracked too and leaked all over the tarmac they did not want to know about it.... Some day I've time I'd love to deposit it at there offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭lukin

Truckermal wrote: »
    Was it a Carbery plastics tank? Mine cracked too and leaked all over the tarmac they did not want to know about it.... Some day I've time I'd love to deposit it at there offices.

No but I bought a Carbery tank to replace it so now I am worried. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

lukin wrote: »

I would recommend planting something near it to shade it from the sun as ours only lasted 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭lukin

.red. wrote: »
    Failing that if it was cut in half with a grinder it would fit into most hatchbacks, if the site was close enough you'd do it in 2 trips.
    I'd say that is what I will do. I'll need to get a disc for my grinder that cuts through plastic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

Truckermal wrote: »

They will take it back for free if you deliver it to their office do dropping it off to spite them will have you driving to West cork for no reason.

I was gonna bring mine to them but the civic amenity site was about a 60mile would trip closer so figured the €8 charge was good value.

If you do cut it in half, speak to the lads at the site when you get there so your not charged again when you return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Web search " man with a van".
    I found one in Cork city but he makes regular Cork Dublin trips
    Depends on dimensions of tank of course.

[Edit] There are a bunch of them listed on gumtree.
    [Edit 2] Waste disposal has to be licenced. Lots of dodgy fly-tippers about. Maybe accompany him to the tip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Wouldn't cutting an oiltank with a angle grinder be dangerous? Aren't you running the risk of a spark setting off a fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Wouldn't cutting an oiltank with a angle grinder be dangerous? Aren't you running the risk of a spark setting off a fire?

It's a plastic tank isn't it? And empty as well so I would say chances are pretty slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd say that is what I will do. I'll need to get a disc for my grinder that cuts through plastic though.

Most any disc will cut plastic like butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't worry too much just follow the instructions for installation to the letter. It is important that tanks are properly supported.

Advertisement