Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on PC build

Options
  • 18-03-2019 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭

My current computer is having issues. I'm not able to diagnose what's causing it, and it's been months so I'm a bit fed up tbh.

This is what I was thinking:
    2yVmRWc.png

It's for playing games, and I'd like it to be quiet but I'm not expecting silent, or even that close to silent.

I selected the Asus dual because it was the cheapest 2060 with dual hdmi, which my monitors would like to use.
    I haven't had an Nvidia card in quite some time, so I'm not sure if it's even the card I want, it fits the top end of what I'm willing to spend though.

I should probably fill out the template too
    1. What is your budget?
    About 1,000 euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming, mainly.
    Monster hunter world is what crashes my current build.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    I might use my blu ray drive from my old pc, it's sata.
    I own 3 blu ray however, so noticing the case I selected doesn't have a 5.25 bay doesn't really matter to me.

I have a hdmi capture card to play switch games on the monitor, it's pcie x1 I believe (really old avermedia, does 1080p 30fps)

I've read the nvme m 2 ssd I selected might be tricky to use as a boot drive, so my Samsung Evo ssd could be used to boot of that's a real issue still.

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No, have 2 currently

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    1080p, I might use a 4k TV as a secondary monitor if the fans don't cause too much noise, otherwise 1080p is fine.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Wireless card is needed, 802.11ac preferably.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No, I've had CPUs overheat without overclocking in the past so I'm very apprehensive about adding heat.

8. How can you pay?
    Credit card, PayPal, most things really.

9. When are you purchasing?
    Want to buy in the next few weeks, but today Nvidia are doing something so it might affect the GPU price so I'm holding off for a while.

I hope I didn't waffle too much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seems fine. I would avoid any open box purchases in relation to the SSD, as the saving is likely to be small and many places offer only a month or twos warranty of b-grade items. Not really worth it.

Graphics wise, Vega 56 can be had for £249 with 3 incredible free games and would be overall very similar in performance with 8GB vram as a bonus vs the 6GB of the 2060. The 2060 slightly edges it, but I dislike the mere 6GB of vram. Already in 2019 many games use >6GB vram at high/ultra so it's a total dick move by Nvidia and very deliberate.

All in all though fairly solid really.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seems fine. I would avoid any open box purchases in relation to the SSD, as the saving is likely to be small and many places offer only a month or twos warranty of b-grade items. Not really worth it.
    Agreed.

OP; if you do buy it, you may find out why it was returned, and have to end up returning it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

It's 20 euro off, says it was opened and returned and they checked it and say it's working perfectly, also comes with 12 month warranty with them (British company I've ordered something from before), so I'd normally agree with you both but I think it's a pretty good deal if all goes well.
    The open box one is gone now anyway, probably for the best.

I'm really trying not to go AMD for the GPU again, the heat and power draw don't seem worth it anymore, but they're also showing something off I think so I might come around again.

Do their CPUs still link well with their GPUs or was that a last gen type of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CPU doesn't matter once you move past 1080p resolution, as you become more GPU-bound.
    Hence why Ryzen 5 CPUs offer better value, as they free up more budget than Intel.

Advertisement