Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November 2019 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

I got a few more bits myself today. I'll finish putting together my hospital bag today as well. Having a list really helps and you can add to it when you think of random things! I'm starting to wind down a bit myself and just take it easy when I can. I'm definitely not able to be as active as I was before!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I got a letter a few days after GTT, once I saw Limerick on the stamp I started to panic, my iron levels were low so I had to start taking iron. I was very relieved.
    We're off to lanzarote Thursday week so my baby prep is on hold. I did put two pyjamas in a bag and told DH where it is just in case of any hospital stays, I'll keep adding to the bag.

I have the next2me crib, I get a new mattress from nursery rhymes store in carlow, it's only around €30. I've also managed to take the whole cover off the stand and put it in the wash.I'm half afraid to make a list of what I need in case I start to panic! We've our 31 week scan next week, we haven't had a scan since week 13

• Registered Users Posts: 12 netflix2018

Sorry to hear that Netflix2018. It's very upsetting to be told you have it. I've had some time now for it to sink in and I'm not as upset. It does seem less stressful once a few days pass. I'm still waiting to hear what my levels are. It's pretty bad how long I've been left without knowing. Facebook have a great Irish group for GD which I've found really useful.

In the Rotunda you don't do daily tests, just the Breakfast Club every 2 weeks. I think other hospitals advise for the daily glucose tests though. Best of luck.

Thanks SGBC. Yes, I've heard Rotunda are also less strict with their levels so almost regretting going with the Coombe now :rolleyes: Also, calling it a Breakfast Club makes it sound a lot more appealing! So you don't have to take 5 blood tests daily?

That's so funny because I wish I'd gone to the Coombe because I would have preferred a more 'hands-on' approach from the hospital. I really feel I've been left to manage it all alone without much guidance or support from the hospital. And Breakfast Club definitely sounds more fun than it is ha ha. You just go in, get your bloods taken, eat a breakfast on your own and get the bloods taken again and go home.

Yeah my midwife said there's no need to take the bloods daily but I've been doing it anyway because I like knowing what foods I can tolerate well or not and adjust my diet accordingly. I tried to show them the diary of my levels for the previous week but they didn't really care or want to see them, which is bizarre to me.

My levels were still high after the breakfast club so I'm in again next week to get them checked again. I'm really hoping I don't need to go on medication or the injections. How are you getting on with the GD and managing your levels?

That's so funny because I wish I'd gone to the Coombe because I would have preferred a more 'hands-on' approach from the hospital. I really feel I've been left to manage it all alone without much guidance or support from the hospital. And Breakfast Club definitely sounds more fun than it is ha ha. You just go in, get your bloods taken, eat a breakfast on your own and get the bloods taken again and go home.

Yeah my midwife said there's no need to take the bloods daily but I've been doing it anyway because I like knowing what foods I can tolerate well or not and adjust my diet accordingly. I tried to show them the diary of my levels for the previous week but they didn't really care or want to see them, which is bizarre to me.

My levels were still high after the breakfast club so I'm in again next week to get them checked again. I'm really hoping I don't need to go on medication or the injections. How are you getting on with the GD and managing your levels?

I've been super strict with meals and all post 1 hour bloods are way below limit, just not my fasting one first thing in the morning so may have to go on meds because of that one alone which is a bummer. I was out with work this avo and ordered a salad and small bit of bread on the side but they only had white bread left. Ate it and my bloods were grand! So wondering if I'm gone a bit overkill diet-wise and eat more freely during the day, and then try modify my nightime snack time to see if that will get my morning bloods down.

• Advertisement

I've been super strict with meals and all post 1 hour bloods are way below limit, just not my fasting one first thing in the morning so may have to go on meds because of that one alone which is a bummer. I was out with work this avo and ordered a salad and small bit of bread on the side but they only had white bread left. Ate it and my bloods were grand! So wondering if I'm gone a bit overkill diet-wise and eat more freely during the day, and then try modify my nightime snack time to see if that will get my morning bloods down.

Oh that's interesting that yours are low. Mine are under 5 in the mornings, then usually just under 7 after lunch and dinner, but sometimes they're over the 7 after lunch and dinner. After lunch and dinner, I could get a reading anywhere between 6 and 8.5.

A typical day of eating for me would be:

Breakfast: 30g porridge and milk or 1 Pat the Baker 58 cal bread and eggs and rashers

Morning snack: handful berries, 125g plain yoghurt and handful of nuts

Lunch: either two 58 cal breads or a Lidl protein roll with chicken/ham, spinach, cucumber and cheese (and an apple/pear and glass milk)

Afternoon snack: either hummus and carrots or 2 ryvita and 2 low cheese triangles

Dinner: A meat, veg and 6 baby potatoes/ weighed out pasta dish or meat, veg and weighed out rice.

Evening snack: usually an apple and peanut butter.

When you add it all up, it's a good bit of eating. What is your typical eating day like?

Oh that's interesting that yours are low. Mine are under 5 in the mornings, then usually just under 7 after lunch and dinner, but sometimes they're over the 7 after lunch and dinner. After lunch and dinner, I could get a reading anywhere between 6 and 8.5.

A typical day of eating for me would be:

Breakfast: 30g porridge and milk or 1 Pat the Baker 58 cal bread and eggs and rashers

Morning snack: handful berries, 125g plain yoghurt and handful of nuts

Lunch: either two 58 cal breads or a Lidl protein roll with chicken/ham, spinach, cucumber and cheese (and an apple/pear and glass milk)

Afternoon snack: either hummus and carrots or 2 ryvita and 2 low cheese triangles

Dinner: A meat, veg and 6 baby potatoes/ weighed out pasta dish or meat, veg and weighed out rice.

Evening snack: usually an apple and peanut butter.

When you add it all up, it's a good bit of eating. What is your typical eating day like?

The Coombe dietitians allot 15 - 30g carbs for breakfast (but no fruit), 15g for snacks, and then 30 - 60g for lunch and dinner and 2-3 litres of water a day.

They say yogurt OR fruit as a snack as they count yogurt as a carb. They recommend using almond milk when making porridge as they count milk towards your carb count too. For a dinner, they recommend 3 x golf ball sized new potatoes or 4 dessert spoons of basmati rice. Ideally your plate should be half veg, one quarter protein and one quarter carbs but as long as refined sugars are cut out and carbs are controlled within the above amount, they say to work away (within reason) on proteins, fats and veg (apart from beans, corn, grains or obv potatoes.)

I've pretty much stuck to that all week so breakfast has been a slimbo with butter, ham, cheese, eggs and spinach. Coffee break is an almond flat white and a mint fulfil protein bar (15g in total carbs!). Lunch is an egg, tuna or chicken salad sandwich. Dinner varies but the likes of spagbol, chicken curry, a roast dinner have all kept me well under blood sugar limits. So think I'll start to take it a bit easier and having the odd white slice of white bread instead of wholegrain, but revisit my evening snack and see how to bring morning bloods down. Otherwise, metformin for me!

They're obviously just doing their jobs and preparing for worst case scenario but most GD mothers go on to have perfectly healthy babies and no Type 2 afterwards. I'm a bit weary at this stage of all the scaremongering! Although to be honest, my frustration is probably at my own body as I feel a bit betrayed by lol - I never get sick so I totally took it for granted I'd have a healthy pregnancy!

Would you like copies of the handouts I've been given from the Coombe if they're helpful at all?

Thanks netflix2018, that's really helpful info. I'm okay for the handouts though, thanks. I think the advice and diets from both hospitals are pretty much the same, except for the testing at home. I'm the same in that I felt like my body had let me down as well! It's a frustrating time but at least I've only a few weeks left of it. Thanks for the info :)

How is everyone doing? I had a check up yesterday, baby is still breech but only 33 weeks tomorrow, I'll get a scan when I'm back in a few weeks and if baby is head down I'll be induced between 38-39 weeks and if it's breech I'll have a section at 39 weeks, they will offer to turn the baby if it's breech but I said no thanks!!!

Has anyone seen any nice neutral sleep suits? It seems to be impossible to find neutral colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

Has anyone seen any nice neutral sleep suits? It seems to be impossible to find neutral colours

I saw some nice white ones in M and S yesterday and a few whites/greys in Next. I find it trickier to find them once you go above newborn. Head is wrecked trying to find non-gendered clothes. I find it depressing that the 'girl=princess and boys like construction' starts so early. Also, how boys got the franchise on dinosaurs I'll never understand!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Asda have some really nice ones as do the mothercare sale at the moment. Saw loads of girl dinosaur stuff actually when shopping! Was great to see as a women who was obsessed with dinosaurs as a child and possibly still now....

Can’t believe we are almost on the 8 week countdown here! In for the 32 week appt tm so hope they do a good growth scan as last consultant (have since changed clinic days) didn’t believe in formal measurement ugh! Now I know it’s not 100% accurate but still would like an indicator.

How’s everyone else getting on?

Asda have some really nice ones as do the mothercare sale at the moment. Saw loads of girl dinosaur stuff actually when shopping! Was great to see as a women who was obsessed with dinosaurs as a child and possibly still now....

Can’t believe we are almost on the 8 week countdown here! In for the 32 week appt tm so hope they do a good growth scan as last consultant (have since changed clinic days) didn’t believe in formal measurement ugh! Now I know it’s not 100% accurate but still would like an indicator.

How’s everyone else getting on?

Can't believe we're in the final stretch now! I'm feeling good but a lot heavier the last week or so. It's harder moving around and going for walks. I think I've a handle on the gestational diabetes as well so that's good. How is everyone else feeling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I think I'm going to find the next stretch fairly excruciating! Finding it very tricky to keep going in work now. Heavy and finding it difficult to get around. Have so many things I want to get done in the house but still struggling to find the energy to get it all done.when are ye all finishing up on maternity leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

Totally agree on Asda having some lovely neutrals Nerd Queen. I've pretty much stopped shopping at all and will just order everything I'm missing from there. It's easier than thinking about anywhere else!

Really feeling rough this last week, between work and trying to wrap up a big project in the next 2 weeks and still smack bang in the middle of house renovations it's all I can do to get through each day. And Baby Brain is such a real thing! Has anyone else found themselves completely forgetting things that would normally be no problem at all??

Starting maternity leave in 5 weeks and cannot wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 NashD

Just out of my 34 week check up in the Rotunda. Have agreed a planned section at 40 weeks so only 6 weeks left!!!! Can't believe the final countdown is here :)
    I am getting signed off work in 2 weeks by the doctor. I'm so exhausted from the lack of sleep and walking is getting difficult as baby is head down and quite low.
    So today I'm good. Yesterday I was bawling and hormonal and snapping.... who knows what tomorrow will bring!
    I love Asda clothes and also the Sainsbury clothes. I do find the colour coding very frustrating - like why can't I find greens or oranges or colourful bits for a boy!

Good to hear NashD. I'm the same - starting to feel so tired and heavy these days!

Quick question - is the 34 week scan an important one? I'm also in the Rotunda. I have a scan booked for 34 weeks and another one at 36 weeks. I think I get an extra scan due to having gestational diabetes. My partner is going to miss the 34 week scan due to work and we assumed we'd chat to the doctor about birth preferences etc at 36 weeks - whether I might need a c-section etc. But is this chat normally held at the 34 weeks? Thanks!

I really didn't know what the asda clothes were like and was afraid to chance them. Might try order some the weekend. I got 1 pack of plain white in Tesco, then I got a pack of lemon and white in dunnes and a single neutral in dunnes too.
    I think they usually wait until 36 weeks to go through birth preferences. I know the doctor I saw weds just mentioned my options if baby is still breech that it'd be a section or the option of my consultant turning the baby which is a definite no! But we won't make any decisions until 36 weeks. My first two it was only decided the week before that I'd be induced the following week whereas this time at least I know if baby is head down then induction 38-39 weeks or section if breech at 39 weeks.
    I'm starting to prepare bags, I might feel more at ease then!

Had my 32 week appt today got a physio ref for help with the niggles that have come from getting bigger etc. Getting a growth scan in a couple of weeks and then we’ll see what way baby is at 36 weeks. Currently breech but 4 weeks to see does he engage.

Ye I found the Asda ones lovely - some great greens and other colours. Plus lovely and soft - I’ve washed a few already for the hospital bag. Got some lovely Xmas vests and babygrows very reasonable. Must look at sainsburys!

Sorry SmallgirlBigcity only saw your reply now. 34 weeks is the standard scan in rotunda - I'm not back again until 38 weeks, so I'm not sure what will happen at your 36 week appointment (as in my 20 week scan I only got the scan and didn't meet a consultant or have any other checks so it might be like that?).
    Basically at each of my three Rotunda appointments - 12/28 and 34 they have asked me what my decision was as I was an emergency section last time. I am not interested in going for VBAC so hence why dates were discussed etc. Randomly they also offered to tie my tubes which I wasn't expecting! But I think that is the only reason birth preference was discussed.
    I think you will be fine to have that discussion at 36 weeks or later if the only reason for a section would be GD or position of baby. They basically told me we would firm up everything at my 38 week appointment so that seems to be when everything really gets crystallised!

• Advertisement

Nerd Queen I just got this delivered from Sainburys and I love it - I'm all about the zip babygros this time! https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Christmas-Red-%26-White-Reindeer-Romper-%280-24-Months%29/135787576-Red?searchTerm=:newArrivals&searchProduct=

Thanks a million NashD, that's reassuring. I reckon you're right, I'm sure we'll have the opportunity to discuss my options more at the 36 week scan. Thanks!

Ooooh fab NashD!!! Don't think I'm allowed buy any more Xmas gear ha! Ye i was in last week and baby is breach so was told that we'd see at 36 weeks what the story is and have a discussion about birth. However got a call today from rotunda saying the consultant read notes i finally got from my gynae after on Friday as i saw one of the other docs and basically midwife was saying (reading between the lines) be prepared for a section to be recommended. So looking like breach wont even be a factor. Actually less stressed after hearing that in a way.

Feel in my gut anyway that this lad is not for turning. Hope everyone else is motoring along

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

Good to hear NashD. I'm the same - starting to feel so tired and heavy these days!

Quick question - is the 34 week scan an important one? I'm also in the Rotunda. I have a scan booked for 34 weeks and another one at 36 weeks. I think I get an extra scan due to having gestational diabetes. My partner is going to miss the 34 week scan due to work and we assumed we'd chat to the doctor about birth preferences etc at 36 weeks - whether I might need a c-section etc. But is this chat normally held at the 34 weeks? Thanks!

Sorry just popped in from the Jan thread, I believe from the ladies at breakfast club the 34 weeks scan is literally a quick scan for them to measure babies size due to GD and not very exciting so I'd say they'll leave it until 36 weeks to discuss birth preferences etc with you. I think it all depends aswell if you're diet controlled or medicated. I was diet controlled last time and they were in no rush to make any plan with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hi folks. Greetings from the February thread.

My wife is 19 weeks along. She's with the Domino scheme in the Coombe and all going well so far.

She's just been given an appointment for a three hour "preliminary antenatal class" in a few weeks time.

She (well we, but mostly she) are pretty good at reading up on what to do and expect, and we're planning to attend a full day antenatal course organised by the Coombe in January.

She'd prefer not to have to take time off work for this preliminary class in a few weeks time, but she's wondering whether she should.

Have any of you attended one? Did you find it valuable, or is it the sort of thing we can learn ourselves?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you are going to do a full day one there is probably not much point.Unless it's a breastfeeding class or something?

Hows everyone going? Starting to get quite close now!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

shesty wrote: »
    If you are going to do a full day one there is probably not much point.Unless it's a breastfeeding class or something?

Thanks. Yeah, I think we'll give this one a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Nerd Queen wrote:
    Hows everyone going? Starting to get quite close now!

It is. Full term technically in just a few weeks. I'm due for a doctor's visit today and I think that may mark the end of work. Bit nervous about it because I know I'll crack up at home but don't really feel able for work. I've been killed with kidney infections and have been in a lot of antibiotics and just feel drained. Also doesnt help that I am huge!! Makes being comfortable in any position impossible!!!

• Advertisement

closifer wrote: »
    It is. Full term technically in just a few weeks. I'm due for a doctor's visit today and I think that may mark the end of work. Bit nervous about it because I know I'll crack up at home but don't really feel able for work. I've been killed with kidney infections and have been in a lot of antibiotics and just feel drained. Also doesn't help that I am huge!! Makes being comfortable in any position impossible!!!

I completely empathise this week of work has been tough - first time I've thought ye maybe getting signed off might be an idea. However know i'll go absolutely spare at home. Poor you with the kidney infections that would definitely drain you. Sounds rotten. Are you currently on the all clear from them?

If it makes you feel better I am neat enough and I cannot get comfy at all lying, sitting, half reclining and even now in the bath which used to be my guaranteed safe haven of comfort. Baby is breech so the breathlessness is adding a whole new layer to discomfort.

We'll make it through lol. Hopefully not too long to go at all! I still have a list of things i want to get organised and sorted. Have my labor bag done but have t finish ward bag as may be having a section so not sure if i'll need to pack differently. Should know in a couple of weeks anyway.

Advertisement