Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November 2019 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

I've had quite a few scans since 22 weeks but maybe that's because I have gestational diabetes. What hospital are you with?

I'm 38 weeks and also thinking I might go into labour any second. It's hard not to keep thinking about it isn't it! I'm looking out for either my waters breaking or to start feeling mild cramps. Apparently contractions feel like menstrual cramps at the beginning...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you wake up in the middle of the night in a lovely clean and tidy house (because you spent all day doing it) with a dull low back ache, then you might as well get up and check the case and have a cup of tea, see if the cramps are starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I'm 37 weeks. Baby is breech transverse and I'm scheduled for a section on Tuesday week. Not sure I'll make it that far though. Baby is big and I'm dreadfully uncomfortable. Had a false alarm on Tuesday and really thought it might be happening. Awful cramps for hours and up half the night. Called the maternity hospital who told me to take a Panadol and give it another 90 mins and then the pain stopped. I'm quite freaked out because I can't give birth naturally with the baby's bizarre position so I'm conscious I would need to catch the signs of labour early. Was with my GP yesterday and without trying to alarm me she said she felt I could go any day and needed to be vigilant!

I'm definitely physically ready to not be pregnant anymore but I feel I need the next week or so to finish up things in the house and tidy and mentally prepared myself!!

Happy delivery month to you all.
    Wife is due on December 2nd, so an ok chance we could go this month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I've been getting cramps and lower back ache for the last 2 weeks. You'll def recognise the cramps, they're exactly like period pain but worse as time goes on. I think if the pain goes during walking or stuff like that it's not labour. I'm booked to be induced next Friday, I'll be 39 weeks. Keep thinking I'll go before then but I think that's everyone's general hope in pregnancy. I've a sweep Wednesday and they'll check what way I'll be induced. I was induced on my first two pregnancies and the second one I had mild cramps for 4-5 hours then it god bad quick, I'll be really hoping it's a quick this time too but no guarantees.
    My baby was measuring approx 8lbs 1 last week but it's a long baby so there can't be much room left in there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If they are coming fairly consistently, won't go away whether you are walking, lying down etc, and you cannot talk during the pain....that's a good indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

Hoping someone can answer something for me? I'm 38 weeks and have never had a conversation with anyone about baby's weight, inductions, baby position anything like that. I'm public in Holles St and whenever I go it's a brief chat with the midwife and then a mini-scan, but all they look for is the heart beat and then I'm off on my way.

Is it just because I'm not asking questions?

Not super worried or anything but just curious if it's me or the system or what the differences might be?

Also, if anyone has suggestions for comfy sleeping at night, I'll take those too ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Buffin I had two pregnancies where weight was never mentioned.I was semi-private in the Rotunda, nobody ever said anything about weight and i never asked.Figured it had to come out anyway.Third baby the consultant mentioned a few times about what size were my others ?(7and 8lbs) and this one would be a 'bit bigger' but that's normal, babies tend to get even marginally bigger each pregnancy (not always though), although ahe did say it was all normal looking, and there was nothing alarming.

As it turned out, a completely separate consultant estimated the baby's weight hours before I went into labour and got it so wrong (by a good 2.5-3 pounds) that I would not put any importance on it, unless they are concerned the baby is not growing.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

For me, baby's weight has only been a focus due to the fact I have a two vessel cord (which can impede growth) and obstetric cholestasis so am being monitored closely. From what I understand though it's really hit and miss to get an accurate estimate of weight, the growth scans I've had have seem to use lots of other metrics to determine growth. In terms of position, they would most likely highlight if baby was breech at this late stage but I had a suspicion mine was back to back so I asked a midwife outright and she said yes, it was most likely back to back.

Maybe ask at your next appointment if they have an idea? I knew mine was back to back because of all the kicks right at the front!

Finding out on Tuesday when my induction will be, because of the obstetric cholestasis I won't be able to go beyond 39 weeks but my blood results have improved so I'm glad I got past 37 weeks without being induced!

Thanks so much @shesty for all the info, that's what I've been kinda assuming is that it's coming out so why bother asking too much. Denial is my general birthing plan!

So glad to hear you've made it past the 37 week mark, hope the rest of the time goes well for you too, sorry to hear you need extra monitoring, but hope all is totally good in the end for you. Think I'll ask a bit more at the next appointment, I'm pretty sure I can feel a bum sticking out towards by tummy so don't think I'm back to back but will see can someone confirm!

Really appreciate the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

Hi Buffin, I'm in Holles Street too. I find that it really depends on which doc is on and who you get for the mini scan. I tend to ask about the size, positioning, whether baby's engaged etc. I also notice that on the scan it seems to estimate the size based on a notional gestation. I could be wrong here but I know mine is measuring a little behind my actual gestation (maybe by 5-8 days). When I've asked about weight/size they've said "not too small, not too large" so they haven't been exact. Anyway, I have ways found them really welcoming of questions and they have always taken their time to answer everything with me. So I'd say if you're curious at all just chime in :-)

I've always gotten an approximate weight as I had a bad tear on my first and they like to monitor size or baby and make sure it's not GD causing a big baby. Weight can be so far off sometimes. My second was heavier but he was a long baby and I know this baby is a long baby too. If it's measuring big or small they just like to make sure there's no underlying reason as to why.

buffin wrote: »
    Thanks so much @shesty for all the info, that's what I've been kinda assuming is that it's coming out so why bother asking too much. Denial is my general birthing plan!

As good a plan as any!!No, I guess it just never came up as a topic for me.I was ok with that because I feel if I had known weights, I might have worried during the labour (especially during my third).Your birth position and that also tend to have an effect on any tears (sorry!!),, so i prefer to get the right, rather than the other way round.
    As it happened my third baby was by a long margin my biggest baby, (and just very big in general) and he did practically no damage, although the midwives did assist just a small bit, which helped too.Definitely ask if you want to know but I think it is very dependent on the doctor whether it is ever mentioned....assuming there are no problems.

Anyone know if your partner is allowed in theater during an elective section? I had an emergency section last time and he was called in when baby was born but wasnt there for the incision. Is it different for an elective?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

closifer wrote: »
    Anyone know if your partner is allowed in theater during an elective section? I had an emergency section last time and he was called in when baby was born but wasnt there for the incision. Is it different for an elective?

Due in Friday for an elective section and my husband will be in theatre with me. He only won’t be there for the anaesthetic and then when they are stitching me back up.

Thanks. That's great to know. I'm going in next Monday but didn't really know what to expect. Was SO ready for this pregnancy to be over for the last few weeks but now that it's only days away I'm not sure I'm fully psychologically prepared 😀Also racing around the house trying to get all the last minute bits and bobs done

Closifer I'm with you, can't seem to stop doing the jobs around the house, started on the outside windows this afternoon, it just feels like jobs are coming out of nowhere. I'm going in Friday and even though it's my third I just feel so unprepared or nervous. Back to the hospital in the morning and they'll do a sweep, I think I just want that over!

New farmer's wife, I had a sweep on my third at 41 weeks (desperation!) And it was really painless.Apparently I was already 1-2 cm dilated, which is normal on the third, so the sweep was much much easier than on the second.Fingers crossed the same for you.

I just remember the first sweep was tough, don't remember the second but I think its just the feeling after it. By them doing a sweep tomorrow they'll decide on the process of induction, my first was breaking my waters and drip, second was just one gel, hoping I'm favourable for just a gel, from gel to baby being born was only 6 and a half hours last time!

Hope everyone is getting on well. I'm due on Wednesday but no sign of anything yet

• Advertisement

Going in today and getting a planned section tomorrow morning. Thought I was okay but been awake since 4am so obviously not!

Going in today and getting a planned section tomorrow morning. Thought I was okay but been awake since 4am so obviously not!

Ah the very best of luck to you! Hope everything goes smoothly. I wonder will ye be the first November baby on the thread?

I've always just assumed I'll be going late but have been getting mild and occasional period pains. Not sure if that means something is afoot!

I think Nerd Queen was going in last Friday so she is likely the first!

I went over on my last one and was induced as baby was looking quite big and they didn't want him to get too much bigger.

The last week to two weeks are just SO hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

The very best of luck. Will be thinking of you both. Please let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Good luck Closifer! I found the planned CS Great. A really lovely experience! DS arrived healthy and happy and we are just in love with him!

Congrats Nerd Queen!! Delighted to hear all went well and you have your little boy out in the world with you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Nerd Queen wrote: »
    Good luck Closifer! I found the planned CS Great. A really lovely experience! DS arrived healthy and happy and we are just in love with him!

Ah fantastic. Big congrats on the arrival of your little man. Hope mama is doing ok. Xxx

Planned c section was great. Such a very different experience to the last emergency one. Our baby girl is here and we are delighted with ourselves.

Our baby girl was born Friday, such a really positive experience, induced but walked to the labour ward at 5.50 when contractions were getting bad, examined for possible epidural at 6.30, waters broke at 6.38 and baby born at 6.39.

• Advertisement

That's great news New farmer's wife. Congratulations to all the new parents on the thread. I'm due today and we're expecting snow tonight so I'll gladly take a day or two delay :-)

Advertisement