Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

November 2019 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

Got some pretty amazing bargains in the very end of the m and s sale. I wanted to pick up a range of different sizes as who knows what the baby will weight when born. Got 2 cardigans, 4 baby grows and 1 dungarees for about 17 euro. Pretty chuffed!

I'm finding though that my idea of unisex doesn't seem to be matching everyone else's. It's really doing my head in. I find that naturally the "boys" stuff, to me anyway, is unisex but then I've got a lot of "oh it's a boy you're having?" comments. I refuse to believe a girl can't wear dinosaur suits! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Got some pretty amazing bargains in the very end of the m and s sale. I wanted to pick up a range of different sizes as who knows what the baby will weight when born. Got 2 cardigans, 4 baby grows and 1 dungarees for about 17 euro. Pretty chuffed!

I'm finding though that my idea of unisex doesn't seem to be matching everyone else's. It's really doing my head in. I find that naturally the "boys" stuff, to me anyway, is unisex but then I've got a lot of "oh it's a boy you're having?" comments. I refuse to believe a girl can't wear dinosaur suits! 😄

The M&S sale was brilliant! I got some great stuff in it! The end of the mothercare sale has some stuff too! I would also highly recommend Asda online. They have some really cute stuff. Plus seem to have some decent maternity bits!

Great tip new farmers wife on having a bag ready for an overnighter in case of anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

M&s have some lovely soft clothes, I got a good few bits last time, I got some lovely lemon and white babygro's, then some plain white or cream, this time I'll do the time but I'll have washed some of my existing boy and girl suits that I have from my first two.
    On my first we didn't have time to get the baby bag from the car and then my Dh went home in the car and came back in his jeep the next day, in the mean time the baby had gotten sick everywhere around 6 in the morning so I had to text my mam to go buy me some girly stuff and drop them to the hospital until the baby bag arrived!
    I will wait until the pregnancy and baby fair and pick up some stuff like bibs, soothers, bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Hospital bag is definitely a good idea. I had to do a few nights in the hospital due to a kidney infection a few weeks ago and was completely unprepared.

Anyone else feel like November cannot come round soon enough??!!!

closifer wrote: »
    Hospital bag is definitely a good idea. I had to do a few nights in the hospital due to a kidney infection a few weeks ago and was completely unprepared.

I know, ready for it to get here much faster than it is! Excited for baby but also to like food again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

I agree Closifer about November. Think the last few weeks have dragged.

I keep looking at my 20ish week 3D scan as midwife told us we won’t have another scan before baboige arrives. Thank god im low risk but would love another peep at what baboige is up to. 16 weeks and counting!

Anyone have ante natal classes yet? We are booked in for 4 evenings in September.
    Kinda in denial about the birth part of this whole process. Won’t read or listen to anything before ante natal class.
    BTW I feel like I’ve put on 10stone.....face has “filled out” aka ballooned!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

Definitely feeling like November can't come soon enough, but then again we're doing a tonne of building work on our house at the minute and it may not quite be done by our due date, so that's in the back of my head.

Got some nice baby clothes in Dunnes sale - their unisex stuff I've found far nicer and more of it than other places. Also picked up a nursing night dress for 5e on sale. It's not exactly glamorous but figure it could be very handy for in the hospital. Had loads in Stephens Green store in case anyone is looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

Absolutely love Cos. Total godsend and lots will be perfect for nursing too. I feel like the maternity section is where fashion has gone to die. Got a few nice things on ASOS too but I found a lot of the stores either go for very old mumsy bilowy prints/designs (JoJo Mamam Bebe) or are just very basic and boring (H and M). I know it's only for the next few months but I'm pregnant - I'm not having an image/personality transplant! :-P

Totally with you on this! Like Asos have some ok basic t-shirts but would it kill them to add a nice boat neck or sleeve detail or something. Ended up sending a load back because I just couldn't face wearing them. Thank God for Cos and still fitting into loads of my normal work clothes from there!

Starting to think about organising the hospital bag. Any good recommendations for comfy pyjamas post labour - don’t want to spend a fortune as let’s be honest they will more than likely be getting used and abused. Also anyone hear any useful tips or know them from experience?

Nerd Queen wrote:
    Starting to think about organising the hospital bag. Any good recommendations for comfy pyjamas post labour - don’t want to spend a fortune as let’s be honest they will more than likely be getting used and abused. Also anyone hear any useful tips or know them from experience?

Last time round I brought maternity leggings and a few cheap large hoodies i picked up in Penney's. They were comfy but I didn't feel totally slobby in the hospital during the day when visitors came

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I had Penney’s button up pajamas with a nursing tank underneath. Comfy, covered, with easy access for skin to skin & breastfeeding.

Great thanks all. Have managed to accumulate 2 labor nighties, slippers and a dressing gown in the last 24 hours. Got the dressing gown for a €5 in Dunne’s final clearance - some bargains maybe there for people. It’s handy to start spreading out getting stuff. Baby clothes, blankets etc is sorted just really the stuff for myself and that to get sorted.

Hope everyone is doing well! Lower back starting to ache but really small bump so hoping it’s cos I’m carrying towards the back. Really starting to countdown now both to meet baby and for pregnancy to be over haha!

I found long stretchy vest tops in Dunnes for €4 they come down over the bump and are great after baby is born too especially under pyjama tops. I just went a size up in pyjamas in Penney's and made sure they're was plenty of room just in case I ended up with a section. I had a tear on my first baby so the nightdress was handy as I had a catheter for 24 hours.
    Roll on November! I get palpitations during pregnancy and it just wrecks me, I've been trying to rest in the afternoon while my 19 month old is having his sleep.

How is everyone getting on? 28 week check ups mostly done? Mines coming up next week along with the glucose test for GD and my anti d injection. Super fun times!

I had 28 week check up weds and glucose test. Fun times waiting to see if I hear anything about the results. I'm back in 3 weeks for 31 week scan. Placenta had moved to the front a bit so wasn't feeling the full brunt of movement but was still feeling movement. The doctor said I have a very active baby but I couldn't feel it bcos of the placenta!

I'm in on Tues for the 28 week appointment. Do ye know is the glucose test part of that appointment or is it an extra thing you've to go back in for?

I'm going to have to try and change my clinic day as I'll have to work it from Sept. Hoping it's not too awkward to arrange.

I'm in on Tues for the 28 week appointment. Do ye know is the glucose test part of that appointment or is it an extra thing you've to go back in for?

I'm going to have to try and change my clinic day as I'll have to work it from Sept. Hoping it's not too awkward to arrange.

No sure if there’s a smaller glucose test as part of it or not as I’ve had my full glucose test booked since 12 weeks as it’s standard when you have PCOS to be tested I was told. My full test takes from about 8-11 am that morning my appt is separate in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'm not having a glucose test. I asked about it at the 12 week appointment and they said I don't need it. If they haven't mentioned it, my bet is you're not having it.

If something shows up in your readings that warrants it, then they'll arrange it.

28 week appointment done as well. All on track. Back to the midwives in 2 weeks. Frequency ramping up. Counting the days to maternity leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

I had my 28 week appointment and at it, the doctor recommended me for the glucose test for 3 days later. I think they'll only recommend one of you have a family history of diabetes.

Had the glucose test and unfortunately it was positive. I'm pretty upset about it. I wasn't expecting it at all. I thought I was doing great with exercise and eating well. They just called a few hours after the test to tell me it was positive, and said they'll send me an appointment date in the post, for an appointment with a dietician.

So I'm waiting to hear how low or high my levels were and what kind of diet they'll put me on. If anyone else was diagnosed with gestational diabetes would be great to hear about it, how they're being treated, what the diet plan is like etc. I don't know much about it yet which is frustrating.

I had my 28 week appointment and at it, the doctor recommended me for the glucose test for 3 days later. I think they'll only recommend one of you have a family history of diabetes.

Had the glucose test and unfortunately it was positive. I'm pretty upset about it. I wasn't expecting it at all. I thought I was doing great with exercise and eating well. They just called a few hours after the test to tell me it was positive, and said they'll send me an appointment date in the post, for an appointment with a dietician.

So I'm waiting to hear how low or high my levels were and what kind of diet they'll put me on. If anyone else was diagnosed with gestational diabetes would be great to hear about it, how they're being treated, what the diet plan is like etc. I don't know much about it yet which is frustrating.

Oh god poor you! Hopefully your results were only slightly off and you won’t have to make many amendments at all. Fingers crossed for you!

I’m living in fear of getting it too purely because eating has been such a struggle to get the right amount of calories, nutrients in etc that I’m worried if I have GD we are back at square 1 with diet and it’s back to the dietician. I’ve finally started consistently putting on weight so don’t want to damage that!

• Advertisement

I've had glucose test on all 3 pregnancies and had an extra one last time as there was sugar in my urine, always been booked at booking appointment based on bmi except if they found something in a urine sample. Mine was first set of bloods at 8, then glucose drink, then bloods at 9 and 10.
    It's very tough having GD, although if you're a good eater and not fussy then it makes life easier. I'd probably have to starve!
    Has anyone started buying for baby?

Sorry to hear that @SmallgirlBigcity. Hopefully any adjustments they ask you to make won't be too disruptive.

@Newfarmerswife my husband and blitzed it last week and have everything except the pram. Well, almost, could do with a couple of cardigans for baby with the winter coming. Haven't bothered getting any clothes beyond 3m because I'd say people will give a few gifts so once we know what we need we can do that. Incidentally, Adverts seems to be pretty amazing! We got a Mammas and Pappas changing unit for 20 euro. Looked on their site and all the new ones were 380-895 euro!!

Has anyone started buying for baby?

Not sure I’ve stopped haha. Have a few last bits to get like a thermometer, some more muslins and bottle cleaning supplies etc but feel pretty organized which helps me stay nice and chill.

Have a base of clothes in most age groups but that’s cos we were in the states and got some great bargains.

George at Asda have some great stuff if people are looking.

I've a neutral babygro and a baby hat bought, oh and my mam got a great deal on a wallaboo foot muff for the car seat on Amazon. I've so much to get still, even though I have a next2me crib, perfect prep machine, Moses basket, I already have a boy and a girl so I have some clothes, just not a lot of babygro's as I just threw them out. I'd say there will be a lot of online shopping done!! I'll pick up bottle teats, soothers and that stuff at the pregnancy and baby fair and neutral bibs. The mam bottles are great not having to use a steriliser

Lidl are starting their baby stuff sale on 2 Sept if that's any help? I found their sleep suits very reasonable

It's all getting very real now! Lots of appointments coming up. Anti d and glucose test as well as regular check ups. Seems like there is something every week now and so much to do in the house that I haven't gotten round to yet. Anyone else a bit overwhelmed with work, appointments and the endless to do list that there is no energy to see to!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 netflix2018

Me too, Smallgirlbigcity! So disappointed. Had my test on Fri and got phone call later that day, then have to attend a four hour class on Thurs. Looking up my results - you need to pass 2 out of 3 tests to be clear of GD - and I failed the one hour test and am literally only .1% over the guideline amount on the fasting one.

She said it was very mild GD so controllable via some small diet changes - hoping I won't have to do multiple blood tests and forking out 150 a month for the pleasure but I guess I'll find out.

Pregnancy is worrying enough without this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 netflix2018

It's all getting very real now! Lots of appointments coming up. Anti d and glucose test as well as regular check ups. Seems like there is something every week now and so much to do in the house that I haven't gotten round to yet. Anyone else a bit overwhelmed with work, appointments and the endless to do list that there is no energy to see to!!??

Yes! I would normally be a very organised clear thinker who loves planning and getting things done. Baby brain has completely botched any of those abilities lol. I have a huge list of things to do and buy and have done about 1% of it!

Only bought my first baby thing the other day - got a Chicco Next2Me for 1/4 of the original price via adverts! Delira.

Trying to be super kind to myself and just take each day at a time as I don't seem able for much more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Me too, Smallgirlbigcity! So disappointed. Had my test on Fri and got phone call later that day, then have to attend a four hour class on Thurs. Looking up my results - you need to pass 2 out of 3 tests to be clear of GD - and I failed the one hour test and am literally only .1% over the guideline amount on the fasting one.

She said it was very mild GD so controllable via some small diet changes - hoping I won't have to do multiple blood tests and forking out 150 a month for the pleasure but I guess I'll find out.

Pregnancy is worrying enough without this :(

Sorry to hear that Netflix2018. It's very upsetting to be told you have it. I've had some time now for it to sink in and I'm not as upset. It does seem less stressful once a few days pass. I'm still waiting to hear what my levels are. It's pretty bad how long I've been left without knowing. Facebook have a great Irish group for GD which I've found really useful.

In the Rotunda you don't do daily tests, just the Breakfast Club every 2 weeks. I think other hospitals advise for the daily glucose tests though. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear it guys! Hopefully it will be very manageable to control. Sending you positive thoughts!

Closifer yes the reality of leaving work within the next 10/11 weeks and the reality of all I have to get done along with the appts ramping up does tend to get daunting at times but then I have to remind myself I can only do what I can do and baby comes first.

Feel somewhat organized on the baby stuff and house stuff but as ye all know things just crop up all the time haha. Few bits I want to finish off in the house but have to get motoring on it!

I find having a list and just being able to tick off even little things is great mentally.

Advertisement