Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Insurance

• 18-03-2019 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

I have a dell xps laptop, it’s just over two years old and the my warranty is out. I also had insurance but didn’t renew after the second year.

It stopped working last week and I brought it to be fixed and I’m told that it’s a motherboard issue and will cost €800 to fix.

What I’m wondering is, if I insure it again would it be possible to claim in a few months?

I completely understand that this is fraud but I’m so sickened that an essentially brand new laptop that I paid €1,200 for has stopped working, I’m also annoyed that I stopped with the insurance.

I understand that people here may not wish to advise me as they see it as unethical but anyone else know what do insurance companies look for when you claim for your laptop not working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,108 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They won't insure a 2 year old laptop for a start.

Have you tried getting a 2nd opinion, €800 sounds crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 saoirse88

They won't insure a 2 year old laptop for a start.

Have you tried getting a 2nd opinion, €800 sounds crazy.

2 separate places, both gave the same verdict.

Are you sure? I’ve visited a few sites and none have mentioned that

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

if it's only just over 2 years old, and the failure is not as a result of mechanical damage (charger plug/socket) or a fall or similar, you may have a case under the sale of Goods act, a top end laptop should last more than 2 years

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I hope you find an insurance company who takes you on and accepts your premium. You'll then find out that 'mechanical or electrical breakdown or derangement' is excluded in all policies and your attempt at fraud will cost you money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

saoirse88 wrote:
    I have a dell xps laptop, it’s just over two years old and the my warranty is out. I also had insurance but didn’t renew after the second year.

Which laptop? There are loads of mobos on eBay. 800e sounds crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if it's only just out of warranty dell may still repair it especially if isn't damaged in any other way.
    we have a lot of Dell kit in the office and they swapped the motherboard on the bosses son's laptop which failed just out of warranty.
    sometimes they ask you to extend the warranty to cover it.

Advertisement