Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pest control for serious infestation of crows

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

_Brian wrote: »
    The only positive of the buzzards arriving here was their affect on crow population.
    It’s a treat to watch the crows fighting them off with their skydiving antics but the population of crows here is a mere fraction with the rookery being abandoned after maybe 30years of use.

Only positive? Your post indicates you little understanding of nature.

Predators higher up the food chain being present will stop secondary predators becoming overabundant. We need to let the countryside become more natural and nature will find a better balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mimon wrote: »
    Only positive? Your post indicates you little understanding of nature.

Predators higher up the food chain being present will stop secondary predators becoming overabundant. We need to let the countryside become more natural and nature will find a better balance.

yes but pests like rats or crows cannot be left to nature to sort out , too destructive

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    ive no gun so not an option and i dont know her neighbours well enough to ask them even they own a gun ?

It is illegal to shoot them unless they are being a pest due to destroying agriculture.

Killing them because of bird**** on windows is illegal.

Destroying active nest which they will be now is definitely illegal

"In Ireland all rooks and jackdaws and their active nests are protected by National and European Wildlife Legislation/Directives"

http://www.wildlifemanagement.ie/crows/

yes but pests like rats or crows cannot be left to nature to sort out , too destructive

So you are advocating breaking the law? That's against the charter here.

do the likes of Glanbia sell them in their farm stores ?

Crows? Doubt it :p

It is illegal to shoot them unless they are being a pest due to destroying agriculture.

Killing them because of bird**** on windows is illegal.

Destroying active nest which they will be now is definitely illegal

"In Ireland all rooks and jackdaws and their active nests are protected by National and European Wildlife Legislation/Directives"

http://www.wildlifemanagement.ie/crows/

please see earlier post , i dont own a gun or know any of my mothers new neighbours who own one , shes moved three miles from her old house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

You haven't a hope of moving them without killing every one of hem at this time of year. They, like many are bread to breed. this is their time to produce their offspring and they will fight to the death for it. A crow banger wont shift them for long if they think they have the chance of a ride. Think of how easy it is to move a bunch of teenage boys away from girls at the final hours of a music festival.

You might have had some hope moving them on in late January when they were deciding to have their annual love fest again at that site, but not now.
    The only way we got rid of them was to top the trees, outside of nesting times.

Odelay wrote: »
    You haven't a hope of moving them without killing every one of hem at this time of year. They, like many are bread to breed. this is their time to produce their offspring and they will fight to the death for it. A crow banger wont shift them for long if they think they have the chance of a ride. Think of how easy it is to move a bunch of teenage boys away from girls at the final hours of a music festival.

You might have had some hope moving them on in late January when they were deciding to have their annual love fest again at that site, but not now.
    The only way we got rid of them was to top the trees, outside of nesting times.

so how long will this group session of mating last ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Are they jackdaws, rooks, magpies, jays, hooded crows, ravens .. all are crows in Ireland ... I'd say they are rooks. There must be a huge number if they are causing so much damage. Very intelligent birds. It's a pity you need to get rid of them and/or your trees. Definitely the wrong time of the year to do it.

Sounds like you'll have to trim your trees in the autumn or they will just keep coming back. And then you are done. Maybe plant a load of native hardwood trees far away from property etc. Any grants for this?

• Advertisement

So you are advocating breaking the law? That's against the charter here.

its not against the law to use a crow banger , nothing in legislation against it

Perhaps Look before you leap in

Are they jackdaws, rooks, magpies, jays, hooded crows, ravens .. all are crows in Ireland ... I'd say they are rooks. There must be a huge number if they are causing so much damage. Very intelligent birds. It's a pity you need to get rid of them and/or your trees. Definitely the wrong time of the year to do it.

Sounds like you'll have to trim your trees in the autumn or they will just keep coming back. And then you are done. Maybe plant a load of native hardwood trees far away from property etc. Any grants for this?

my mother does not have any land with the property , just a garden

no option to plant trees anywhere else

why is it a pity they need to be got rid of ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

why is it a pity they need to be got rid of ?

Some people have an opinion that all animals and birds are harmless. Buzzard's have been a great addition to the countryside but there is still not enough to control crow numbers. Over the last 10-15 years numbers of crows have climbed beyond all numbers. We have two new rookeries locally. People are now blaming cats for reduction in smaller birds and are failing to realize that it's the effects magpies and other crows are having on them.

It's the same with the deer population. Both are out there g control. Yes nothing has been done about either. You nearly have the same attitude to rats starting. I say many of there attitude's would change if they were in your mother's situation. They are a bit like travellers when they are a nuscience you need to move them on

Slava Ukrainii

my sister was down visiting over the weekend , she thinks the rookery is at the neighbours property , makes it more difficult , they ( neighbours ) are regularly out banging a drum according to my mother trying to scare them away ( or otherwise known as trying to bail out the atlantic ocean with a spoon )

you cant go shooting into a tree on a neighbours property even you have the means to do it , il introduce myself to them and see if i can persuade them to take decisive action.

was talking to a neighbour this morning who has the barley field beside me and he said now is the time to shoot into the tree as the nights are cold , the eggs will be abandoned and the chicks will freeze to death

Mod Note. Active nest sites are protected under European legislation and must not be interfered with.
    I think the op has gotten his answer here on thread. Thanks. GC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement