Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You're right..it's a good one.

If the entire planeload from Hong Kong were going to undertake this unlikely journey it might have some benefit..but a captain (if he exists) is still just one person.

WTF is the Greenway...[Google time]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Couple of thoughts on this.

IMO there are only two towns really in Ireland that are worth more than an overnight stay.

Those are Dublin and Cork. For me, thats not up for question.

No-one is going to Waterford for a four night stay. There just aint enough to do, its not big enough.

So its in either
    (i) the Day Trip / Overnight Trip category or
    (ii) the base for exploring surrounding area.

Vis a vis day trip category - it is broadly speaking competing with other towns that are "within driving range of Dublin/ Dublin airport". If you want to be specific about where people are coming from.

And it is is competing with
    Kilkenny/ Carlow/ Portlaoise/ Dundalk/ Armagh/ Birr/ Wexford/ Athlone/ Mullingar/ Galway/ Trim/ Navan/ Maynooth etc etc

Of that list
    Kilkenny and Galway are by far the nicest. Sorry, thats just the way it is.

After that - Waterford is definitely up there. Nice town, some very attractive parts, a few crummy parts. Probably two challenges for it as a destination its own right are
    (i) it has no 'hook' - no individual attraction that in itself makes it a worthwhile destination.....compared to say Kilkenny Castle or Maynooth University or Trim Castle. Still though, its one of the nicest towns in the above list.
    (ii) it takes a bit longer to get to as a day trip. There is quite a big difference between a 120 minute drive (Waterford) and 80 minute drive (Kilkenny) when you only have a day or two.

Alternatively, as a base to explore surrounding area. Yes the South East is Great. But if a Japanese tourist was coming to Ireland for one week, I would definitely be sending them to Kerry or else Donegal.

So it is quite a tough sell, because you've got tough competition.

So if its selling itself - it has to be done in a way thats targetting people that have something that the South East has, that other Areas dont have.

In that respect - the Greenway is a big big plus, I would even say that Waterford is not making enough of the Greenway.

The other thing that should be looked at is a shuttle service that takes in the regions high points.

If I am a tourist in Waterford - and I dont have a car - how am I getting to Lismore, or the Nire, or Dunmore East? is that easy? Can I do that?

If you know anything about tourism in Ireland, if you are somebody who is interested in visiting local Irish places to see nice scenery and do active things - then you will have heard of the Waterford Greenway.

Obviously some people are not in that category and have not heard of the Waterford Greenway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

WTF is the Greenway...[Google time]

You say your still regular in Waterford but haven't heard of Greenway. Ok

debok wrote: »
    You say your still regular in Waterford but haven't heard of Greenway. Ok

Where did I say that?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Tombo2001 wrote:
    If you know anything about tourism in Ireland, if you are somebody who is interested in visiting local Irish places to see nice scenery and do active things - then you will have heard of the Waterford Greenway.

Tell me,how much money are these greenway tourists spending locally to cycle up and down the track?

For tourism to be worth anything to a region you need to be attracting MILLIONS of them year on year. You need to have attractions that coachloads of Americans and Germans and Swedes will travel to Ireland specifically to see.

You will need top class hotels,midrange hotels,guesthouses and hostels.
    There will need to be good quality restaurants and venues with quality tourist entertainment,world heritage sites with guided tours,guidebooks,maps and interpretive centres.

There will need to be direct access from Dublin and other centres,excellent WiFi,festivals,feastdays and breweries.

This is just a few of the requirements for international tourism.
    A couple of dubs and an oriental airline pilot cycling up and down will NOT bring any significant tourist income to your town.

The attractions are either there or they are not...

Anyway this famous Greenway will only appeal to hardcore cycling enthusiasts as tourists. How many people do you know head off of cycling holidays relatively speaking?

Anyway this famous Greenway will only appeal to hardcore cycling enthusiasts as tourists. How many people do you know head off of cycling holidays relatively speaking?

Not really true at all.

Actually, its probably not long enough - has too many breaks - and too many users - to appeal to a hardcore cycling enthusiast.

Its not a cycling holiday. its easily done one way in a day.

And its every easy to hire a bike along the way, in multiple different locations.

I'm sure you are very interested in all this information, and not just in trying to knock it for no particular reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

You're right..it's a good one.

If the entire planeload from Hong Kong were going to undertake this unlikely journey it might have some benefit..but a captain (if he exists) is still just one person.

I dont know why im replying to you..but you're missing the point,its word of mouth that will make it a sucess as much as marketing,who knows who he told about it and who they told about it,and yes he exists his pic and his story is on one of the greenways social media pages.

Not really true at all.

Actually, its probably not long enough - has too many breaks - and too many users - to appeal to a hardcore cycling enthusiast.

Those guys will want to go up to the magnificent Comeragh and Knockmealdown mountains.

Its not a cycling holiday. its easily done one way in a day.

And its every easy to hire a bike along the way, in multiple different locations.

It would be particularly appealing to family with teenagers, or to older cyclists - its flat, is not especially demanding, and the one of the best things about the greenway of course is that there are no cars whizzing by you, which is especially important if you have kids on bikes. Its stress free.

I'm sure you are very interested in all this information, and are actively considering cycling the Greenway.

You should - its absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement

Tell me,how much money are these greenway tourists spending locally to cycle up and down the track?

Its only open two years.

Back of the envelope calculation.....if 300'000 people cycle it each year.....and its free.....then they will be spending zero to cycle up and down the track.

If they on average spent a 100 on food - before leaving waterford - en route - in dungarvan....

spent 50 on bike rental plus paying for bike company to collect them (which is standard)

spent 200 on accomodation as part of a two night break in south east...

that could be over a 100 million.

Not bad.

Tombo2001 wrote:

Tombo2001 wrote:
    spent 50 on bike rental plus paying for bike company to collect them (which is standard)

Tombo2001 wrote:
    If they on average spent a 100 on food - before leaving waterford - en route - in dungarvan....

So 350 quid each to cycle that path?

You know you can get a week in Malta including flights and accommodation for the same money?

A week sightseeing in London would probably cost that sort of money too.

100 quid a night for accommodation?
    50 quid to hire a bike?
    And 100 quid on food?

To cycle a crappy old cycle path?

You're deluded me old son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

For tourism to be worth anything to a region you need to be attracting MILLIONS of them year on year.

:rolleyes: Seriously do you just type randomly? What a region needs is enough and a relatively high personal spend.

Millions would swamp us all and destroy an notion of a pleasant locale to visit. Very few locations actually have millions a year outside of places like mega themed parks (or Las Vegas) which are of course designed specifically to part people from their money in a dedicated standalone environment.

And I'll tell you another thing. Cyclists don't like spending money. I used to work in an establishment along a well known scenic area and we would dread the packs of cyclists descending on the place.
    The most they'd ever buy is a cup of coffee and would often break out thier own sandwiches in the pub.
    They were bad for business too in that they took up valuable customer space whilst they sat around drinking tap water.
    Absolute bunch of tight fisted clowns.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its only open two years.

Back of the envelope calculation.....if 300'000 people cycle it each year.....and its free.....then they will be spending zero to cycle up and down the track.

that could be over a 100 million.

Not bad.

Tell me. How many people do you know go on holidays and take in a cycling tour as part of it. Not many if you are like me. So I have no idea where all these people are going to magically appear.

Now, cycling in the the south of France is one thing but some route through Waterford in pissey weather quite another.

In the first year (2017) Greenway cycle traffic was 141,000 - walking traffic was 105,000.

Tell me. How many people do you know go on holidays and take in a cycling tour as part of it. Not many if you are like me. So I have no idea where all these people are going to magically appear.

Now, cycling in the the south of France is one thing but some route through Waterford in pissey weather quite another.

Have a read of this,its not just cycling.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/greenway/WaterfordGreenway-BaselineSurveyReport-Jan2018.pdf

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/waterford-greenway-proves-popular-among-users-survey-finds-1.3330217

And I'll tell you another thing. Cyclists don't like spending money. I used to work in an establishment along a well known scenic area and we would dread the packs of cyclists descending on the place.
    The most they'd ever buy is a cup of coffee and would often break out thier own sandwiches in the pub.
    They were bad for business too in that they took up valuable customer space whilst they sat around drinking tap water.
    Absolute bunch of tight fisted clowns.

I can't disagree with that. I do a lot of running and a lot of my running buddies cycle as well (I don't have the time personally)- as in anything up to 80-100km at a time.

They will cycle off in gangs on a Sunday morning to a designated pub etc. I see this on Strava every week- they will sit in the pub/cafe whatever take a few groups selfies over some orange juice before setting off again. I am sure that they would counter by saying that a big **** off roast dinner and 3-4 pints is not conducive to a 3-4 hour pleasant cycle back home.

Let's just say the annual summer BBQ is not exactly the most happening gig in town. The walkers are the best craic but the runners and cyclists are just counting the calories and thinking about the big event the following morning. Dry out...and I'm just as guilty.

The Greenway isn't for Lyrca louts, which is not to say they don't use/abuse it but it's really designed for civilians who can be seen with their parent+baby bikes coming out of Carriganor every weekend.

In the first year (2017) Greenway cycle traffic was 141,000 - walking traffic was 105,000.

One way or return journeys and who compiled the results?

• Advertisement

That detail escapes me (mind you I expect you'd argue that they were fake news in any event you seem to be that sort) there are shuttle buses which are free for those who hire bikes from the Waterford Greenway company. Most traffic seems to be east to west but obviously plenty of people start at Kilmac and go one way or other and turn round or get that bus before carrying on to wherever they live or otherwise are staying.

The Greenway isn't for Lyrca louts, which is not to say they don't use/abuse it but it's really designed for civilians who can be seen with their parent+baby bikes coming out of Carriganor every weekend.

Lycra louts....LOL

I must remember that one.

One way or return journeys and who compiled the results?

Its all in this

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/greenway/WaterfordGreenway-BaselineSurveyReport-Jan2018.pdf

That Times article is a press release from the Waterford tourist board.
    250k visitors in one year? It will be as popular as newgrange soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Another potentially interesting thread ruined by trolls in the Waterford forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

That Times article is a press release from the Waterford tourist board.
    250k visitors in one year? It will be as popular as newgrange soon.

After all of this, have you actually seen the Greenway? It goes by the river, past Mount Congreve, through Kimacthomas with the amazing coach house coffee house, over huge stone Viaducts, along the mountains, through the amazing Ballyvoyle tunnel and then along the coast into Dungarven.

You are literally dismissing something you have no clue about and think its just a crappy old path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Another potentially interesting thread ruined by trolls in the Waterford forum

Agree Christy. A sad troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Agree Christy. A sad troll.

A sad troll with more than one boards account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Actually if you are going to go cycling in Ireland, Waterford is probably the best place for it. It's called the sunny south-east for a reason and gets significantly less rain and more sunshine than the west. It's a pretty good selling point for outdoor activities.

Just one other reason to love Waterford, as if there weren't enough already :)

• Advertisement

So 350 quid each to cycle that path?

You know you can get a week in Malta including flights and accommodation for the same money?

A week sightseeing in London would probably cost that sort of money too.

100 quid a night for accommodation?
    50 quid to hire a bike?
    And 100 quid on food?

To cycle a crappy old cycle path?

You're deluded me old son.

Are you absolutely kidding me.

You'd barely get an overnight in London for 350 euro. Have you looked at hotel prices in London FFS...... 36 stg to get from the airport into the city......4 quid every time you go on the tube.

I've heard it all now......sure why not stop there......wouldnt you get a fortnight in Dubai for that; you get a palace in Tokyo for a month for that......a Manhattan condo for a year.

Come off it.

Look - you obviously have it in for the cycle path. Nothing anyone says who will change your mind. And the reason for that, I dont know and I dont care.

Advertisement