Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

In the first year (2017) Greenway cycle traffic was 141,000 - walking traffic was 105,000.

Yes, when it opened in April.

Nothing like presenting 'some' of the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not sure what you are getting at - the numbers are from the IT article in early 2018 and show clearly that in a full year (with word of mouth effect in full flow) the tally would be quite a bit more and so works perfectly well as a riposte to the post in question by The Enbalmer

Not sure what you are getting at - the numbers are from the IT article in early 2018 and show clearly that in a full year (with word of mouth effect in full flow) the tally would be quite a bit more and so works perfectly well as a riposte to the post in question by The Enbalmer

It officially opened 3 months into 2017. Ergo figure for 2017 are for 9 months, not for one year. And the very first 9 months it was open.

EDIT - I understood you were arguing the numbers were low - my bad.

Anyways.

We'll move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Did part of the greenway last year. Waterford can be very proud of the facility it is amazing and so much better that a Lardy sun holiday.
    Ignore the troll just some sado probably looks up to George Hook!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

work wrote: »
    Did part of the greenway last year. Waterford can be very proud of the facility it is amazing and so much better that a Lardy sun holiday.
    Ignore the troll just some sado probably looks up to George Hook!

If it's so good in waterford where are all the tourists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

If it's so good in waterford where are all the tourists?

Could do with A LOT more but it's the 10th most popular tourist spot in Ireland. So not doing too bad for such a "craphole"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was asked to put together a schedule for a group of visitors (work-related) last Summer.

They had done similar weekends to Galway and Kerry.

They had own transport but brief was no trip should take more than an hours commute.

I came up with the following and though they didn't stick to it 100% they had a great weekend and some are planning to return:

Friday Night
    Hotel - Meal Momo - Drinks J. & K. Walsh

Saturday
    Waterford Crystal tour
    Coffee
    Viking virtual experience
    Lunch - Pier 37 Bar and Grill
    Viking triangle museum - Viking/Medieval/Georgian treasures
    Waterford Castle - Afternoon Tea
    Back to hotel - Free time to explore etc.
    Pre-dinner drinks - The Reg
    Dinner - La Boheme

Sunday
    Trip to Copper coast to take in Mahon Falls and Mount Congreve
    Late lunch - Coach House Kilmac
    Return to City - free time until return to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I guess what lads are saying is that it's great that the Greenway is there and all but if that is your new big attraction it's still little league.

I guess what lads are saying is that it's great that the Greenway is there and all but if that is your new big attraction it's still little league.

Can you name other big attractions in Waterford?

Deiseen wrote: »
    Can you name other big attractions in Waterford?

Personally speaking and without a Google search- no.

• Advertisement

Personally speaking and without a Google search- no.

So I agree that we market ourself extremely badly but at the same time, you've spent all this time basically dismissing Waterford but you've done literally no investigation to see if its actually worth dismissing.

Not much we can do about that to be honest.

Funny enough - Waterford would be a fabulous base for the 'serious' cyclist - Comeragh Mountains/ Knockmealdown mountains/ Coastal routes and the same training routes that the great Sean Kelly would have trained on as a young lad. That would have some clout in France or Italy.

For family holidays obviously there are super beaches that arent near as wild as the ones in the west. Clonea a stand out.

Dungarvan one of the nicest coastal towns in Ireland; likewise Dunmore East.

Dont need google to be informed and to appreciate what attractions are in Ireland: just need to get out and about. Its not like we are talking about the Alaskan Rockies here - if you are Irish and living in Ireland, if holidaying in ireland is your thing, if Ireland is a place where you like to be, then you will just know this stuff.

If you cant find things to enjoy in the South East - then Ireland is not really the place for you full stop - you are probably better off on a beach resort somewhere in the Med, tanning yourself and drinking a beer. Like Malta maybe. Personally - I'd have zero interest in that. Too dull.

(And to emphasise - I'm from Dublin, not Waterford).

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Funny enough - Waterford would be a fabulous base for the 'serious' cyclist - Comeragh Mountains/ Knockmealdown mountains/ Coastal routes and the same training routes that the great Sean Kelly would have trained on as a young lad. That would have some clout in France or Italy.

For family holidays obviously there are super beaches that arent near as wild as the ones in the west. Clonea a stand out.

Dungarvan one of the nicest coastal towns in Ireland; likewise Dunmore East.

Dont need google to be informed to appreciate what attractions are in Ireland: just need to get out and about. Its not like we are talking about the Alaskan Rockies here - if you are Irish and living in Ireland, if holidaying in ireland is your thing, if Ireland is a place where you like to be, then you will just know this stuff.

(And to emphasise - I'm from Dublin, not Waterford).

But you cant appreciate anything from a place that you clearly dont want to believe has anything to actually appreciate.

(Not aimed at you)

So I agree that we market ourself extremely badly but at the same time, you've spent all this time basically dismissing Waterford but you've done literally no investigation to see if its actually worth dismissing.

Not much we can do about that to be honest.

But you see that is rather the whole point of the thread- why is Waterford not more highly rated etc or why do people dismiss it.

The main feedback is that well...while Waterford of course has its attractions like any county but it's still way behind. That is partly marketing as you mention and partly...well there really isn't much there to get too excited about and of course that is entirely subjective but it's not far off the mark in reality.

That's the hand fate has played the county. Sorry to say that or that some natives will take that personally.

Even if I do some in depth research...it is just bit of a shrug of the shoulders. TBH I'd probably head to Kilkenny if I was that close......

(runs for cover)

and I will never forgive John Mullane for giving the Cork supporters the two fingers in the 2003 Munster Championship.

But you see that is rather the whole point of the thread- why is Waterford not more highly rated etc or why do people dismiss it.

The main feedback is that well...while Waterford of course has its attractions like any county but it's still way behind. That is partly marketing as you mention and partly...well there really isn't much there to get too excited about and of course that is entirely subjective but it's not far off the mark in reality.

That's the hand fate has played the county. Sorry to say that or that some natives will take that personally.

Even if I do some in depth research...it is just bit of a shrug of the shoulders. TBH I'd probably head to Kilkenny if I was that close......

(runs for cover)

So you don't know anything about the county but are 100% certain that there isn't anything worth seeing.

Can you not see how its extremely hard to attribute any credibility to that?

(runs for cover)

Point well made. Lets all move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

and I will never forgive John Mullane for giving the Cork supporters the two fingers in the 2003 Munster Championship.

No breeding in some people, I guess.

If you cant find things to enjoy in the South East - then Ireland is not really the place for you full stop -

Bizaarre thing to say.

If you think waterford is boring (which it is) you should piss off somewhere else?

There are many,many internationally famous attractions in ireland but none of them are in waterford..like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

So you don't know anything about the county but are 100% certain that there isn't anything worth seeing.

Can you not see how its extremely hard to attribute any credibility to that?

Any tourist is going to google, look at TripAdvisor etc.. because they don't know anything about the place. Are you suggesting that they, the people who you want to attract have no credibility either? If anything its the point of view of those who live outside of Waterford that actually matters here, and the truth is that when a tourist looks at things to do in Waterford vs other locations, they see that Waterford is the poorer option for the number of attractions, transport, food and drink, accommodation and retail.

As someone who used to live in Waterford i'd send any of my friends over visiting to Kilkenny, Galway, Belfast, Cork, Killarney, and maybe Sligo/Mayo before even considering Waterford.

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    Any tourist is going to google, look at TripAdvisor etc.. because they don't know anything about the place. Are you suggesting that they, the people who you want to attract have no credibility either? If anything its the point of view of those who live outside of Waterford that actually matters here, and the truth is that when a tourist looks at things to do in Waterford vs other locations, they see that Waterford is the poorer option for the number of attractions, transport, food and drink, accommodation and retail.

As someone who used to live in Waterford i'd send any of my friends over visiting to Kilkenny, Galway, Belfast, Cork, Killarney, and maybe Sligo/Mayo before even considering Waterford.

Honestly no clue how you came to that conclusion about what I said.

The other user was basically saying "I never heard of the restaurant, I dont even know what food they serve but I know its not worth eating there".

That attitude has no credibility, you can argue that all you like but it'll just make you look foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

It's still new to the tourism gig.

Long ago when places like Killarney were being sold to all the yanks as quaint and quintessentially Irish, Waterford had cattle being paraded down the quays. It had Dennys Meat processing and it's hideous odors sweeping the town. The city was for the most part falling down and derelict. Between 1945 and 1987 the city center was completely hollowed out.

In all that time places like Galway, Dublin and Killarney etc. were a matured brand. The set menu.

20 years isn't enough for the city to really come together. I think it will do well in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, the Greenway is a great commodity to have but if I see one more post on the Waterford forum about it I think I'll go mad. In any case, they are opening them up all over the country now so it's not unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, the Greenway is a great commodity to have but if I see one more post on the Waterford forum about it I think I'll go mad. In any case, they are opening them up all over the country now so it's not unique.

It does have features that should still set it above the competition.

Although imo the first really long distance greenway that has camping along a similarly scenic route will clean up.

my3cents wrote:
    Although imo the first really long distance greenway that has camping along a similarly scenic route will clean up.

By fleecing the tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Please just ignore him lads. All he wants is attention.

This English couple is travelling around every railway station on the island of Ireland. They did a bonus episode cycling the greenway as far as Kilmeadan today:

https://youtu.be/i0iOcTHIL0Q

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

my3cents wrote:

Will it happen though, the way walks have existed for very long now, and camping facilities still don't exist on them, I'd imagine it becomes complicated, as a large portion of the adjacent land is privately owned, and creating camping facilities can create problems regarding rubbish etc, then of course there's things such as insurance.

Bizaarre thing to say.

If you think waterford is boring (which it is) you should piss off somewhere else?

There are many,many internationally famous attractions in ireland but none of them are in waterford..like it or not.

Thats not what I said.

I said if you cant find exciting things to do in the SouthEast, then you wont be excited by the rest of Ireland either.

The attractions of the SouthEast are magnificent mountain scenery; outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, watersports; fine beaches; good local produce and some though not many attractive towns.

Thats the same for Kerry, for Clare, for Donegal, for Connemara.

You may are argue that Kerry or Clare are more impressive in that regard. But you cant argue that Kerry is magnificent and that the South East has nothing to offer = because in essence they offer very similar things.

If you dont know that the SouthEast offers these things; thats because you are uninformed - and thats on you.

• Advertisement

Thats not what I said.

I said if you cant find exciting things to do in the SouthEast, then you wont be excited by the rest of Ireland either.

The attractions of the SouthEast are magnificent mountain scenery; outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, watersports; fine beaches; good local produce and some though not many attractive towns.

Thats the same for Kerry, for Clare, for Donegal, for Connemara.

You may are argue that Kerry or Clare are more impressive in that regard. But you cant argue that Kerry is magnificent and that the South East has nothing to offer = because in essence they offer very similar things.

If you dont know that the SouthEast offers these things; thats because you are uninformed - and thats on you.

If waterford is as spectacular as Kerry or Connemara you would think people would be flocking to see it.

They aren't..and that's not because any alleged ignorance on my part. It's because very few people will drive 2 hours down from dublin to see a few pubs and a cycle track.

You might think the city is up there with the major tourist attractions but it isn't and that's just the way it is.

Advertisement