Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Great reviews of waterford hotels. This one caught my eye as much for the manager's inability to write in english as anything:

Unpleasant experience
    I stayed for one night with 2 friends. Our room was quite dated and did not feel very clean. Our toilet was blocked and while reception were quick to send someone to fix it, it just happened again later on. Staff were extremely rude to us during our dinner with a larger group of friends. Also we were not allowed to order drinks with our food and were told to walk out to the bar ourselves, which really ruined our meal. The food was not great and along with the terrible service just made for an unpleasant experience. I could never recommend this hotel to a friend. I felt the price was quite high and expected a much better stay.
    Read less

Date of stay: September 2018
    Trip type: Travelled with friends
    This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
    1 RepostHelpfulRepostShare

Response from Treacys_Waterford, Sales and Marketing Team at Treacys Hotel WaterfordResponded 13 Sep 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, all feedback weather positive or constructive is appreciated to help us improve our services. I'm sorry to see that you were dissapointed with your recent stay.

I am shocked to hear the staff were rude I will defiantly pass those comments tot the general manger to be looked at. I can only apologise about this and ensure you this would not be conman .

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,
    Sales and Marketing Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Okay you've had your knocking copy fun. Why are you actually here? Where are you from and live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

If waterford is as spectacular as Kerry or Connemara you would think people would be flocking to see it.

They aren't..and that's not because any alleged ignorance on my part. It's because very few people will drive 2 hours down from dublin to see a few pubs and a cycle track.

You might think the city is up there with the major tourist attractions but it isn't and that's just the way it is.

Have you ever actually been to the comeragh mountains? Have you ever driven the copper coast? Have you ever been to mahon falls? Have you ever seen coumshingaun lough? If you haven't seen these, then don't talk about things that you do not know about as it just makes you look foolish.

Waterford does well, its top 10 for tourist numbers and could do more but it still does better than 70% of Ireland. This is even better when you consider we are the 12th smallest county in Ireland.

Okay you've had your knocking copy fun. Why are you actually here? Where are you from and live?

He's going to great lengths to prove his dislike for Waterford. He's even reading bad TripAdvisor reviews for Treacys hotel to reinforce his viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Jesus Christ you could pick out a ****ty hotel review from literally every city in the world, why not show the 90% positive ones?

Taken from TripAdvisor:

The Granville: 1447 positive reviews out of 1640
    Waterford Castle: 1277 positive reviews out of 1483
    The Marina: 1167 positive reviews out of 1447

I could go on. Anyone can cherry pick things that suit their agenda. And by god do a lot of people in this thread have an agenda to knock Waterford at every turn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Lads i wouldnt be bothering with him he obviously has a chip on his shoulder over Waterford much like the other fella,when someone goes through tripadvisor to point out spelling mistakes you know they're a headcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Deiseen wrote: »

Waterford does well, its top 10 for tourist numbers and could do more but it still does better than 70% of Ireland. This is even better when you consider we are the 12th smallest county in Ireland.

I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head there in summation. Waterford is where it is and not much is going to change that. It is not going to turn in the west coast and cannot compete with it. Just needs to focus on what it does have and make the most of it.

. Why are you actually here? Where are you from and live?

Is this waterford hospitality??

This thread is a perfect example of why boards is dying and sites like Reddit are only growing. Normally clowns like the one’s in this thread are downvoted to the bottom and screaming into their little void.

Instead you have to scroll past their waffle and people feel the need to engage with them. Literally every thread gets derailed by the same gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Some people may be more familiar with other Boards fora than I am, but I wonder if the kind of really poisonous and relentless knocking of Waterford, where I am from, where I live and which is trying really hard in many sectors, is visible elsewhere? The Waterford of today is not that of ten years ago or twenty years ago. It is changing all the time for better and sometimes for worse, and we all know our strengths and shortcomings, but there are a few posters here who seem determined to knock everything and anything, even effort Why this is the case is beyond me. One thing is certain though, the problem is ("all inside your head, she said to me") with them and not with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Whenever I hear Americans saying they've been to Ireland they seldom mention visiting Waterford. It's always Cork, Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny never Waterford. Kilkenny always seems to get preference over Waterford.

Are we doing a poor job at promoting it? Because i think we've made great strides with the Viking Triangle, Cathedral Square, etc. This is Irelands oldest city and I think it should be on every itinerary.

Thats life, people don't talk about visiting pretty much anywhere in Austria except Vienna, or Amsterdam in Holland, myself and my girlfriend were in Utrect a few weeks ago, it was fantastic, no one in work had been there or any of my well travelled friends. Also we were in Tour in France last year, again no one we know had been there.

I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head there in summation. Waterford is where it is and not much is going to change that. It is not going to turn in the west coast and cannot compete with it. Just needs to focus on what it does have and make the most of it.

The city has come on a lot since your visit and we have the North Quays development which is due to begin imminently which will massively improve our retail offering, which is currently abysmal. That should bring in a few more visitors and also improve the appeal of the city at the same time.

In addition, I think we can do a lot better. If you have not heard of Coumshingaun Lough then we are failing. Ask anyone who has been up there and they will tell you it is one of the most amazing sites in Ireland, if not anywhere. The fact that you don't know about this place means we are not doing our job to promote it. Add the Mahon falls and the mountain area in general to this and we all have to question why this place is not getting more visitors when it is as good as anywhere in Kerry or Galway.

Obviously those counties have more as a whole but the Comeragh mountains are spectacular and would be one of the most visited places in Ireland, if people actually knew what they had to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I think part of the issues on this thread and others on this forum is that there seem to be 2 extremes.

One extreme thinks Waterford is the best place ever while the other thinks it's a dump.The reality is somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I have to be honest, I've never heard any Irish people recommend Waterford for a weekend away either, its usually, Kerry, Galway, Cork, Kilkenny and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Well, if the NQs happen a lot will change for the city.

But even still, tourism efforts in Waterford are much more strategic now, there's the Viking Triangle (includes best collection of museums outside Dublin) and with the added attraction of a particularly scenic Greenway (which, despite claims otherwise, stats show it's a runaway success), Waterford is going to be moving up the top 10 pretty sharpish.

I have to be honest, I've never heard any Irish people recommend Waterford for a weekend away either, its usually, Kerry, Galway, Cork, Kilkenny and a few others.

Fair enough, but I think this is going to change significantly over the next few years.

People really underestimating the changes made in Waterford over the last decade.

The city has come on a lot since your visit and we have the North Quays development which is due to begin imminently which will massively improve our retail offering, which is currently abysmal. That should bring in a few more visitors and also improve the appeal of the city at the same time.

In addition, I think we can do a lot better. If you have not heard of Coumshingaun Lough then we are failing. Ask anyone who has been up there and they will tell you it is one of the most amazing sites in Ireland, if not anywhere. The fact that you don't know about this place means we are not doing our job to promote it. Add the Mahon falls and the mountain area in general to this and we all have to question why this place is not getting more visitors when it is as good as anywhere in Kerry or Galway.

Obviously those counties have more as a whole but the Comeragh mountains are spectacular and would be one of the most visited places in Ireland, if people actually knew what they had to offer.

Sorry..i get that you're trying to increase people's awareness of your county as a tourist centre but c'mon.

To say a small lake in a misty hill range is the most amazing site in the world is not only untrue it's borderline insanity.

Were you the same poster who suggests a trip to some place that holds Henry VIII's hat as a world tourism destination too?

It’s not a bad view to be fair. Why it isn’t marketed I don’t know.

Sorry..i get that you're trying to increase people's awareness of your county as a tourist centre but c'mon.

To say a small lake in a misty hill range is the most amazing site in the world is not only untrue it's borderline insanity.

Were you the same poster who suggests a trip to some place that holds Henry VIII's hat as a world tourism destination too?

Nope that was me. The Medieval museum is award winning and part of the best collection of museums outside of Dublin. No one has even tried to dispute this I'm glad to see.

I can tell you've never been to Coumshingaun lake... It's a truly spectacular sight that must be seen to be believed.

I've a feeling that if the Taj Mahal and Grand Canyon were in Waterford that you'd probably have the same dismissive opinion.

Could you tell me what sites in Ireland you think are so grand please? And also where are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is this waterford hospitality??

Fair play to you Enbalmer you've got the whole lot of us talking about Waterford.

The conversation would have been dead days ago if not for your energy and persistence.

You should get a job with the Tourist Board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It’s not a bad view to be fair. Why it isn’t marketed I don’t know.

The Enabler would probably reckon it a good spot for promoting ending it all - Vedi Waterford e poi Muori :pac:

I've a feeling that if the Taj Mahal and Grand Canyon were in Waterford that you'd probably have the same dismissive opinion.

Idiocy.

Could you tell me what sites in Ireland you think are so grand please? And also where are you from?

Erm in no particular order

Cliffs of Moher

Giants Causeway

Trinity College

Christchurch Cathedral

The Burren

Connemara

Newgrange

Trim Castle

Adare Manor

Malahide and Ardgillen Castles

Powerscourt

Bunratty Castle

The Arran Islands

Kilkenny Castle & Rhode house

Howth Cliff Walk

Royal Canal greenway

Kinsale

Castlegregory strand

Thats just a few that i've visited and i enjoyed...i dont see that where i'm from has any relevance.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Fair play to you Enbalmer you've got the whole lot of us talking about Waterford.

The conversation would have been dead days ago if not for your energy and persistence.

You should get a job with the Tourist Board!

True! We should all be thanking The Embalmer for giving us the opportunity to wax lyrical about Waterford for what is going on days now.

Idiocy.

Cliffs of Moher

Giants Causeway

Trinity College

Christchurch Cathedral

The Burren

Connemara

Newgrange

Trim Castle

Adare Manor

Powerscourt

Bunratty Castle

The Arran Islands

Howth Cliff Walk

Royal Canal greenway

Kinsale

Castlegregory strand

Thats just a few that i've visited and i enjoyed...i dont see that where i'm from has any relevance.

Ok so, just a few more questions:

1. Have you been to Coumshingaun?
    2. Have you been to Mahon Falls?
    3. Have you been to Lismore?
    4. Have you been on the Greenway?
    5. Have you driven the Copper Coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Idiocy.

Cliffs of Moher

Giants Causeway

Trinity College

Christchurch Cathedral

The Burren

Connemara

Newgrange

Trim Castle

Adare Manor

Powerscourt

Bunratty Castle

The Arran Islands

Howth Cliff Walk

Royal Canal greenway

Kinsale

Castlegregory strand

You clearly not a scenery person so which completely vindicates my point.

No mountains on your list; one beach and not a great one at that but probably one of the few that came up when you googled. The Royal Canal Greenway doesnt have the amazing scenery of the Waterford Greenway, but it does have plenty of dog **** and young lads on scramblers*.

* I jest, its quite nice.......but the Waterford one is spectacular, as opposed to just quite nice.

Yes Castles and Churches are interesting...........snooze.....there are better ones in Malta TBH, and cheaper there too.

True! We should all be thanking The Embalmer for giving us the opportunity to wax lyrical about Waterford for what is going on days now.

Well it gave some of your the opportunity to make idiots out of yourselves,talking up attractions such as a cycle path (at a cost of 350 euro per user..line em up) or an unheard of museum holding an unheard of artifact.

But yes you're correct..it's not the fact that there's nothing to do or see,it's the people who don't visit that are wrong.

Idiocy.

Considering you were so delighted KK was being mentioned in the same breadth as Sydney a few pages back... I'd say I can make a stab at guessing where you are from....

Well it gave some of your the opportunity to make idiots out of yourselves,talking up attractions such as a cycle path (at a cost of 350 euro per user..line em up) or an unheard of museum holding an unheard of artifact.

But yes you're correct..it's not the fact that there's nothing to do or see,it's the people who don't visit that are wrong.

We're talking positively about a really great place. Hardly making idiots of ourselves :)

• Advertisement

We're talking positively about a really great place. Hardly making idiots of ourselves :)

Let him answer my questions. He hasn't been to any of the places I mentioned.

What do they call people who don't have a clue what they are talking about but still profess to be an absolute authority on the subject?

Advertisement