Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

How can you put Howth Cliff Walk and the Grand Canal Cycleway on a list as good places to visit and then completely dismiss the Waterford Greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ah lads - we wouldnt be talking to each other like this if we met in the pub. This is ridiculous. Can we all grow up a little and stop this over and back.

Enbalmer - I have a certificate for yourself and Partyguinnes which says that you officially see Waterford as a dull place, and will never waver from this few.

The rest of yissers - you are confirmed as lovers of all things Waterford.

To all of you - just because you have diametrically opposing views, just like Donald Trump and the Korean lad, it doesnt mean ye cant get on.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

How can you put Howth Cliff Walk and the Grand Canal Cycleway on a list as good places to visit and then completely dismiss the Waterford Greenway?

Because i've been to both and they are withing 30 minutes of where i live..not the same as having to travel 2 hours to waterford and then risk being fleeced by the gombeen men trying to wring money from the slightest thing.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Ok so, just a few more questions:

1. Have you been to Coumshingaun?
    2. Have you been to Mahon Falls?
    3. Have you been to Lismore?
    4. Have you been on the Greenway?
    5. Have you driven the Copper Coast?

No..i've never been to any of these places as:

A) I've never heard of them and

B) i couldnt be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Ah lads - we wouldnt be talking to each other like this if we met in the pub. This is ridiculous. Can we all grow up a little and stop this over and back.

Enbalmer - I have a certificate for yourself and Partyguinnes which says that you officially see Waterford as a dull place, and will never waver from this few.

The rest of yissers - you are confirmed as lovers of all things Waterford.

To all of you - just because you have diametrically opposing views, just like Donald Trump and the Korean lad, it doesnt mean ye cant get on.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

I think what gets to the people here is that it's obvious that these guys are dismissive of Waterford without seeing much of what it has to offer. This is fine but when you look at the effort that they are putting into this, then it comes across like their on a little mission of sorts. I imagine thry also do this in real life which only fuels the bad perception of Waterford.

You don't have to love the place but you also don't have to go out of your way to knock it as hard as you can, that doesn't benefit Waterford and it certainly doesn't benefit Ireland.

• Advertisement

No..i've never been to any of these places as:

A) I've never heard of them and

B) i couldnt be bothered.

So why are you here then you absolute bluffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

So why are you here then you absolute bluffer?

I think that is the whole point of the thread..why is Waterford left out of a lot of tourist itineraries?

I had never been to Antrim up to a few years ago or Belfast City but Jesus I could have listed a load of places off beforehand. Same for Donegal and even Sligo but I could nt say the same for Waterford. Ok I heard that Tramore is a seaside town but to be honest I hadnt heard great things about it.

TBH my geography of Waterford stemed from the women that I shagged in college...ah Dungarvan, Lismore and Tramore...memories. Cldnt tell you anything else about the place.

Sure we could post the same thread about any number of counties: anyone up for promoting Longford?

A few of use have just pointed that Waterford just doesn't have enough attractions and/or market itself right. Now others may think we are just pissing all over the place just to wind people up but that's not true. In fact I am going to make it my business to find out more about Waterford for a weekend break.

I think what gets to the people here is that it's obvious that these guys are dismissive of Waterford without seeing much of what it has to offer. This is fine but when you look at the effort that they are putting into this, then it comes across like their on a little mission of sorts. I imagine thry also do this in real life which only fuels the bad perception of Waterford.

You don't have to love the place but you also don't have to go out of your way to knock it as hard as you can, that doesn't benefit Waterford and it certainly doesn't benefit Ireland.

Thats the way the internet rolls.

Move on, because he wont.

I think that is the whole point of the thread..why is Waterford left out of a lot of tourist itineraries?

I had never been to Antrim up to a few years ago or Belfast City but Jesus I could have listed a load of places off beforehand. Same for Donegal and even Sligo but I could nt say the same for Waterford. Ok I heard that Tramore is a seaside town but to be honest I hadnt heard great things about it.

TBH my geography of Waterford stemed from the women that I shagged in college...ah Dungarvan, Lismore and Tramore...memories. Cldnt tell you anything else about the place.

Sure we could post the same thread about any number of counties: anyone up for promoting Longford?

A few of use have just pointed that Waterford just doesn't have enough attractions and/or market itself right. Now others may think we are just pissing all over the place just to wind people up but that's not true. In fact I am going to make it my business to find out more about Waterford for a weekend break.

You're Back!

Good to see ya......

Good man, I strongly suggest the places I mentioned above and to use the City/Dungarvan as a base. As I said, a lot of work has been done in the city and is a big improvement to what was there 10 years, which I admit was not great.

Try to fit in these places:

1. Coumshingaun
    2. Mahon Falls
    3. Lismore
    4. The Greenway
    5. Copper Coast

If you visit them and don't like them then there's not much any of us can say really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

I think that is the whole point of the thread.

Fair play partyguinness. If you want any tips for your weekend, you know where to come! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Myself and the family are going to Ireland this summer, we wanted to go to the Southwest, but we will go to Wexford instead - my Dad has a house there, I will visit waterford for sure after reading this thread.

Good man, I strongly suggest the places I mentioned above and to use the City/Dungarvan as a base. As I said, a lot of work has been done in the city and is a big improvement to what was there 10 years, which I admit was not great.

1. Coumshingaun
    2. Mahon Falls
    3. Lismore
    4. The Greenway
    5. Copper Coast

If you visit them and don't like them then there's not much any of us can say really.

The Greenway...what's that then?:D

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Myself and the family are going to Ireland this summer, we wanted to go to the Southwest, but we will go to Wexford instead - my Dad has a house there, I will visit waterford for sure after reading this thread.

You won't regret your decision Tom.

If you visit the spots listed in Deiseen's post there, you'll have an absolutely brilliant few days.

I'd add in the Viking Triangle in the city too. The King of the Vikings virtual reality experience is class, along with Waterford Crystal and the museums.

1. Coumshingaun
    2. Mahon Falls
    3. Lismore
    4. The Greenway
    5. Copper Coast

If it's raining that doesnt leave a whole lot of places to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I thought you never heard of them?

I thought you never heard of them?

I didnt but it seems pretty certain they're all outdoors.

I didnt but it seems pretty certain they're all outdoors.

Nope they’re all actually in an indoor recreational centre similar to Trabolgan. Really makes everything convenient to see.

Rain doesn't stop people visiting Ireland, and it rains less in the sunny South-East, Waterford included, than anywhere else in the country.

Rain doesn't stop people visiting Ireland, and it rains less in the sunny South-East, Waterford included, than anywhere else in the country.

Wrong!

The driest place in Ireland is Dublin city which receives less than 800 mm of rain per year.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/geography/extremities.html

• Advertisement

Ireland is probably not the holiday destination of choice for you if you are worried about a bit of rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dublin hides behind the Wicklow mountains. The cowards. :D

You're gas!

The climate in the South-East is the mildest and sunniest in Ireland.

Here's Met Eireannn on the subject of sunshine in Ireland.

My point is rain is a non-issue in Waterford compared to other parts of Ireland, but you know this already of course.

You're gas!

The climate in the South-East is the mildest and sunniest in Ireland.

Here's Met Eireannn on the subject of sunshine in Ireland.

You said it was the driest. it isn't

My point is rain is a non-issue in Waterford compared to other parts of Ireland, but you know this already of course.

Rain very much IS an issue if the three or four "attractions" you've been shilling are A) all based outdoors and B) without anywhere dry to duck into when it rains.

You said it rains less in the "sunny south east" than it does in other parts of the country.

That's not true. It rains more in waterford than it does in Dublin...so you've moved the goalposts now to say sure it rains but it is a "non issue".

I'd hate to actually be taking your advice on anything meaningful..seeing as you're willing to spout lies and distort the truth to suit yourself.

Rain very much IS an issue if the three or four "attractions" you've been shilling are A) all based outdoors and B) without anywhere dry to duck into when it rains.

You said it rains less in the "sunny south east" than it does in other parts of the country.

That's not true. It rains more in waterford than it does in Dublin...so you've moved the goalposts now to say sure it rains but it is a "non issue".

I'd hate to actually be taking your advice on anything meaningful..seeing as you're willing to spout lies and distort the truth to suit yourself.

Apologies it's the sunniest, not the driest

But rain doesn't put people off the West, so it's not an issue for the south east considering its significantly drier.

Thankfully, there's plenty of other people providing sound advice on this thread!

We’ve already had two lads say they’re gonna spend a weekend in Waterford after reading all the posts recommending places in this thread.

None of this would have been possible without you Enbalmer. You’re the Arlene Foster of the Waterford forum, fighting so hard against us you’re actually helping us.

We’ll have you down in City Hall for the key to the city yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rain is only an issue for Waterford (1000mm per annum) then when compared to Galway (1072mm) and Kerry (1770mm). Okay.

Ah Jesus lads. You gone pure silly now bringing out Met Eireann stats.

• Advertisement

Ah Jesus lads. You gone pure silly now bringing out Met Eireann stats.

Sorry - all my doing!

Sunniest does not equal driest, lesson learned.

Still more sunshine, how bad!

Advertisement