Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Rain is only an issue for Waterford (1000mm per annum) then when compared to Galway (1072mm) and Kerry (1770mm). Okay.

Make you wonder why more people go to Galway and Kerry. Wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

That's another problem with Waterford. It's just not wet enough..:D

That's another problem with Waterford. It's just not wet enough..:D

It certainly seems to be salty enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Because they are nicer. Hard to compete with those places really, they are certainly much nicer than Dublin.

Can i ask what your experience of Waterford is? Something terrible must have happened you here or someone from Waterford must have crossed you badly.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Because they are nicer. Hard to compete with those places really, they are certainly much nicer than Dublin.

Really? How do you explain the population of Dublin compared to either of the places that you mentioned?

I'm also wondering why Dublin has an international airport and those other places don't.

I'm starting to detect a pattern here...

• Advertisement

Really? How do you explain the population of Dublin compared to either of the places that you mentioned?

I'm also wondering why Dublin has an international airport and those other places don't.

Oooooh, have I touched a nerve?

Oooooh, have I touched a nerve?

Not at all..i'm remarkably thick skinned.

just wondering why there are so many people visiting and living in Dublin if it's such a terrible place.

Likewise,why does almost nobody come and visit waterford despite it's incredible attractions?

The attractions are:

A church with Henry viii's hat
    A cycle path

A small lake (the most incredible natural wonder in the world apparantly)
    A beach
    A disused glass factory
    A few pubs

Have i forgotten anything..?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I spent 4 days in Dungarvan last summer. I was surprised at what a lovely town it is and the general area is beautiful - Copper coast, Gold coast Greenway etc. I'd really recommend the area as a holiday destination.

Not at all..i'm remarkably thick skinned.

just wondering why there are so many people visiting and living in Dublin if it's such a terrible place.

Likewise,why does almost nobody come and visit waterford despite it's incredible attractions?

The attractions are:

A cycle path

A beach
    A disused glass factory
    A few pubs

Wait, you only get less than 4 times the visitors of Galway despite having 6 times the population and the main airport in the country. Surely it should have more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Depends what Deiseen means by nicer.

Galway and Kerry are well established tourist spots with lots of natural beauty and maybe seem more authentic/stereotypical in their 'Irishness'.

Dublin has the culture, history, art, food and brilliant pubs. It's a fantastic city with lots of charm and buzz. I think it deservedly tops the tourist lists.

Waterford needs to pave its own way, comparisons to these already popular places are pointless. It's unique, with good mix of history, culture and scenic spots. The SouthEast generally is a great part of the country. We need more joined up thinking with KK and Wexford.

• Advertisement

Dublin is the biggest shithole in the country,keep your big population and international airport,ill much prefer to go for a walk on the Greenway.

:D

That showed ME!

I sincerely hope people from outside waterford are reading this to get an idea of the sort of people who live there...veering between crabby and distrustful to outright liars and quite a few who seem to be round the bend.

Leaving aside the fact that waterford has never had and will never have ANYTHING worthwhile to do...except maybe sulking along the greenway :D

The attractions are:

A cycle path

A beach
    A disused glass factory
    A few pubs

Tbf, Waterford Crystal has moved into the centre of the city and has a really attractive showroom and solid tour of glass making. The factory is being sold for other purposes.

The cycle path is definitely more impressive than the Royal Canal greenway which you enjoyed immensely.

A beach... which one? Theres plenty to choose from . Take a drive on the Copper Coast ( a UNESCO geopark) and discover them for your self.

Tbf, Waterford Crystal has moved into the centre of the city and has a really attractive showroom and solid tour of glass making. The factory is being sold for other purposes.

The cycle path is definitely more impressive than the Royal Canal greenway which you enjoyed immensely.

A beach... which one? Theres plenty to choose from . Take a drive on the Copper Coast ( a UNESCO geopark) and discover them for your self.

No need to be telling me..it's tourists you want. make them come and visit.

It's probably better if the tourists dont come from anywhere that already has cycle paths,beaches and factories..this will give Waterford the much-needed "wow" factor and make it the Naples of Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This is definitely the most entertaining thread on Boards!

It's probably better if the tourists dont come from anywhere that already has cycle paths,beaches and factories..this will give Waterford the much-needed "wow" factor and make it the Naples of Ireland :D

You never answered my question about Waterford. Did your wife run off with a Waterford man?

Wait, you only get less than 4 times the visitors of Galway despite having 6 times the population and the main airport in the country. Surely it should have more?

Sorry i can't help you compile statistics.

Maybe if you ask RTE if Where In The World still running and apply for audience tickets..there's all sorts of questions about political geography.

Maybe National Geographic could help you too.

Depends what Deiseen means by nicer.

Galway and Kerry are well established tourist spots with lots of natural beauty and maybe seem more authentic/stereotypical in their 'Irishness'.

Dublin has the culture, history, art, food and brilliant pubs. It's a fantastic city with lots of charm and buzz. I think it deservedly tops the tourist lists.

Waterford needs to pave its own way, comparisons to these already popular places are pointless. It's unique, with good mix of history, culture and scenic spots. The SouthEast generally is a great part of the country. We need more joined up thinking with KK and Wexford.

To be fair, i never said Dublin was crap. I just said Kerry and Galway are nicer but I think 99.9% of the population would agree on that. The enbalmer makes up the other 0.01%.

You never answered my question about Waterford. Did your wife run off with a Waterford man?

I can't imagine ANYBODY running off with a waterford man.

To be fair, i never said Dublin was crap. I just said Kerry and Galway are nicer but I think 99.9% of the population would agree on that. The enbalmer makes up the other 0.01%.

Is this a straw poll conducted down the greenway or did you buttonhole some poor unfortunate who was trying to see Henry VIII's hat?

I can't imagine ANYBODY running off with a waterford man.

So what is it then? Have you even been here at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Can i ask what your experience of Waterford is? Something terrible must have happened you here or someone from Waterford must have crossed you badly.

I would disagree. Dublin is a lot more attractive than Galway

Also Waterford people are not the friendliest bunch.

So what is it then? Have you even been here at all?

Sure.

Had a friend who lived on Lady Lane so i used to go visit him quite a bit.

Had a couple of decent pubs but thats about it...even when physically IN The town i never heard of the greenway!

Chiparus wrote: »

Also Waterford people are not the friendliest bunch.

That's putting it quite mildly...unfriendly and hostile.

Unfriendly and hostile with an accent that sounds like a plate of beans making it's way through the digestive system of a pig.

Sure.

Had a friend who lived on Lady Lane so i used to go visit him quite a bit.

Had a couple of decent pubs but thats about it...even when physically IN The town i never heard of the greenway!

The greenway only opened two years ago.

Don't worry I tell my fair share of tourists. Word of mouth is a powerful tool. :)

Waterford is still playing catch up with more established tourist spots, but it's on the move.

Even just being "the oldest city" is a massive selling point for tourists. When I am travelling abroad that would grab my attention.

Have we come this far without mentioning the protected status of the blaa... Hard to believe :)

That's putting it quite mildly...unfriendly and hostile.

Unfriendly and hostile with an accent that sounds like a plate of beans making it's way through the digestive system of a pig.

Waterford accent is no better or worse than other eastern accents...You're scraping the barrel now boi...

On the whole, accents on the West coast are much nicer though.

Waterford accent is no better or worse than other eastern accents...You're scraping the barrel now boi...

Ah come on..it's a perfectly hideous accent...a cross between a Louth and a traveller accent with mumbling overtones.

Ah come on..it's a perfectly hideous accent...a cross between a Louth and a traveller accent with mumbling overtones.

Jaysis ya really hate the place and everything about it don't ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

And where are you from? If its Wexford, think very very carefully about standing over your statement that the Waterford accent is unpleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

I know the caricatures of the Waterford accent but some people I know from Waterford sound fine, mid-atlantic even.

Advertisement