Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ah come on..it's a perfectly hideous accent...a cross between a Louth and a traveller accent with mumbling overtones.

Its nothing like either of those accents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

MoashoaM wrote:
    I know the caricatures of the Waterford accent but some people I know from Waterford sound fine, mid-atlantic even.

They're probably the educated elite.

Or blow ins in search of stultifying boredom

Its nothing like either of those accents.

Certainly the further out from the city the less easy it is to categorise the accent.

Much like the soup it so resembles..Thick Country Vegetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Certainly the further out from the city the less easy it is to categorise the accent.

To me it’s fairly accentless. One of Ireland’s more neutral accents, inner city Dublin it isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

This friend that you visited so oft. Was he more than just a friend to you but he just didn't see you in the same way?

You then got your heart broken into tiny little pieces in Waterford and have cursed the place ever since?

• Advertisement

That's actually pretty good...poetic in a way.
    It could be the opening line to a dirge about Waterford and how the land is cursed...nothing will grow and no tourist steps tread the black earth

You could play it on your tin whistle at the side of the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

My tuppence worth - Kilkenny man who went to WIT from 97-01, worked and lived in Waterford from 2001-2018, and now living in south county Kilkenny:

Kilkenny City gets plenty of tourists, and the atmosphere is welcoming, Kilkenny city has "sold" itself as a nice place to visit. Kilkenny County doesn't have much to offer for tourists.

Waterford is the complete opposite - Waterford City doesn't sell itself, the atmosphere around the city doesn't scream "visit me and spend money here, it's a great place" whereas Waterford County has some exceptional places for tourists (won't name them all again, numerous people have done that). Hence numbers between the two counties are similar, but there's impression that Kilkenny is more of a tourist attraction than Waterford .

Waterford City really needs better council leaders - trees get chopped all over the city in the name of Health and Safety (for fcuk sake) , Penney's is the biggest shop in town (for the moment), and there's very few pubs (and life) slap bang in the middle of town. Too many derelict buildings still around. There's plenty more I could add but it's nearly bed time....

That's actually pretty good...poetic in a way.
    It could be the opening line to a dirge about Waterford and how the land is cursed...nothing will grow and no tourist steps tread the black earth

You could play it on your tin whistle at the side of the greenway.

Is it Wexford or Waterford you hate? Or is it anything ending in Ford?

yuridwyer wrote: »
    My tuppence worth - Kilkenny man who went to WIT from 97-01, worked and lived in Waterford from 2001-2018, and now living in south county Kilkenny:

Kilkenny City gets plenty of tourists, and the atmosphere is welcoming, Kilkenny city has "sold" itself as a nice place to visit. Kilkenny County doesn't have much to offer for tourists.

Waterford is the complete opposite - Waterford City doesn't sell itself, the atmosphere around the city doesn't scream "visit me and spend money here, it's a great place" whereas Waterford County has some exceptional places for tourists (won't name them all again, numerous people have done that). Hence numbers between the two counties are similar, but there's impression that Kilkenny is more of a tourist attraction than Waterford .

Waterford City really needs better council leaders - trees get chopped all over the city in the name of Health and Safety (for fcuk sake) , Penney's is the biggest shop in town (for the moment), and there's very few pubs (and life) slap bang in the middle of town. Too many derelict buildings still around. There's plenty more I could add but it's nearly bed time....

Waterford has it's issues but KK needs to recognise that it needs Waterford. A KK person knocking Waterford is literally cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Without a strong Waterford/Region then no one will come to the South East, which they aren't.

The whole entire south east needs to work better and KK is far from immune to the issued that use to face Waterford as is highlighted here: https://kclr96fm.com/ryans-xl-kilkenny-closures/ a local councillor said there is at least 30 vacant units in Kilkenny. That's not good for Kilkenny, its not good for Waterford and its not good for the South East.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Waterford has it's issues but KK needs to recognise that it needs Waterford. A KK person knocking Waterford is literally cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Without a strong Waterford/Region then no one will come to the South East, which they aren't.

The whole entire south east needs to work better and KK is far from immune to the issued that use to face Waterford as is highlighted here: https://kclr96fm.com/ryans-xl-kilkenny-closures/ a local councillor said there is at least 30 vacant units in Kilkenny. That's not good for Kilkenny, its not good for Waterford and its not good for the South East.

Can't agree that Kilkenny needs Waterford with regards tourism, Kilkenny markets itself well enough without it being simply a stop on the way to Waterford. But your entitled to your opinion, and I'm far from an expert on the subject

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote:
    a local councillor said there is at least 30 vacant units in Kilkenny. That's not good for Kilkenny, its not good for Waterford and its not good for the South East.

It requires private sector investment..and that doesn't come from tourists in the early stages..it needs people to invest in the area,be they locals or outsiders..the best way to achieve this is siting industry of whatever type..do you have a brewery for example?

It requires private sector investment..and that doesn't come from tourists in the early stages..it needs people to invest in the area,be they locals or outsiders..the best way to achieve this is siting industry of whatever type..do you have a brewery for example?

There are two whiskey distilleries in the pipeline with one about to start selling whiskey in the next 12 months. On top of that Waterford has a fair amount of IDA jobs, particularly in pharma.

Can't agree that Kilkenny needs Waterford with regards tourism, Kilkenny markets itself well enough without it being simply a stop on the way to Waterford. But your entitled to your opinion, and I'm far from an expert on the subject

Who said its a simple stop on the way to Waterford? Check the figures to the South East, they are poor and that is because the region as a whole doesn't market itself properly. Kilkenny gives a great impression but doesn't do anywhere near as good as other parts of Ireland and the tourists that do visit don't spend much at all.

Kilkenny people need to open their eyes to this and I think the cracks are starting to show with the vacant units.

If you dont believe me then check the numbers and check the spend. Then check them for the region and compare to the other regions.

If you want to play the "Kilkenny is the only show in town" card then the whole region will fall further and further behind.

Who said its a simple stop on the way to Waterford? Check the figures to the South East, they are poor and that is because the region as a whole doesn't market itself properly. Kilkenny gives a great impression but doesn't do anywhere near as good as other parts of Ireland and the tourists that do visit don't spend much at all.

Kilkenny people need to open their eyes to this and I think the cracks are starting to show with the vacant units.

If you dont believe me then check the numbers and check the spend. Then check them for the region and compare to the other regions.

If you want to play the "Kilkenny is the only show in town" card then the whole region will fall further and further behind.

Think you need to read my original post again if you think I was saying Kilkenny is "the only show in town" and Waterford is...... not - I was very complimentary about Waterford County. But, in terms of the "region" you're talking about, KK and Waterford (and Wexford I suppose) aren't marketing the South East together as a tourist destination (as far as I know). Even without how each town/city is selling itself, Kilkenny has natural advantages such as closer proximity to Dublin (numerous people commute from KK to Dublin for work every day, you can't do that from Waterford), and there are a lot of political and economic links between KK and Dublin. Unfortunately Waterford needs to work harder to get noticed, despite having a huge amount going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Kilkenny's tourism seems mostly the day tripper type, not a lot of hotels or BnBs .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Kilkenny definitely has something going for it that Waterford doesn't. At any time of the year, the place is hopping with locals and tourists alike. They have a train through the main streets, a castle for touring and lots of little quaint shops. That's something that Waterford just doesn't really have- quirky or unusual shops and cafes that pique the curiosity. Its just Penneys and The Book Centre really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A train, you mean like the one Waterford has

waterford-tours.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Chiparus wrote: »
    Kilkenny's tourism seems mostly the day tripper type, not a lot of hotels or BnBs .

River court, newpark, hibbernian, the ormande, lyrath, the kilkenny inn, hotel kilkenny, langtons, the hoban, the pembproke, spring hill, mount Juliet new hotel in castlecomer where the discovery park is . Restaurant in castlecomer that the owners felt they would have a better trade than in Waterford.

Kilkenny definitely has something going for it that Waterford doesn't. At any time of the year, the place is hopping with locals and tourists alike. They have a train through the main streets, a castle for touring and lots of little quaint shops. That's something that Waterford just doesn't really have- quirky or unusual shops and cafes that pique the curiosity. Its just Penneys and The Book Centre really.

Very true , Wexford, for example is a much better shopping experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Kilkenny design, mosses pottery, medieval mile, caves in Dunmore , two cathedrals, discovery park , etc.

• Advertisement

Joe Daly wrote: »
    River court, newpark, hibbernian, the ormande, lyrath, the kilkenny inn, hotel kilkenny, langtons, the hoban, the pembproke, spring hill, mount Juliet new hotel in castlecomer where the discovery park is . Restaurant in castlecomer that the owners felt they would have a better trade than in Waterford.

Apart from the Lyrath, there are not a lot of quality hotels in the city, Mount Juliet is a goos bit away, its like calling Carton House a Dublin hotel.
    That said there are probably more in Kilkenny and it is a more interesting destination than Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford Castle and Faithlegg House are more Waterford than Mt Juliet and Castlecomer will ever be Kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The 'mine is bigger than yours' mentality is alive and well in Waterford!

Have a look opposite 'The Woodman' when your passing and ask yourself
    is this acceptable for a City such as Waterford that's looking to redevelop
    itself and draw in tourists but in reality no one gives a f**k!

I don't remember too many scenes like this in Galway or Dublin City Centres.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Seriously folks if you can't have a discussion without resorting to childish name calling and trolling, just don't post here. Any more & the thread will be locked & infractions dished out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Kilkenny design, mosses pottery, medieval mile, caves in Dunmore , two cathedrals, discovery park , etc.

Waterford has two cathedrals so hardly makes Kilkenny more of a draw.

The Waterford Protestant and Catholic cathedrals built by same architect. It's the only example in Europe. It's pretty special.

The 'mine is bigger than yours' mentality is alive and well in Waterford!

Have a look opposite 'The Woodman' when your passing and ask yourself
    is this acceptable for a City such as Waterford that's looking to redevelop
    itself and draw in tourists but in reality no one gives a f**k!

I don't remember too many scenes like this in Galway or Dublin City Centres.

There's plenty of vacant shop fronts in Dublin City, prime locations too.

There's an issue with vacant stores in Manhattan currently so hardly a Waterford problem.

Apple market and Viking triangle underwent significant upgrades recently and both looking very well.

Was there ever a Waterford appreciation thread where people post good shots of the city and county?

Love seeing images of the Suir, Comeraghs, Greenway, Copper Coast, etc.

Images speak louder than words.

Which is why Waterford Walls garnered so much online attention. The art last year was phenomenal. It's really promoted the City innternationally in circles that would never have heard of Waterford otherwise.

I hope it gets the funds to run full scale again this year.

You have Kite Design Studios which have about 4/5 different types of craft, Waterford Crystal, Finders Keepers, Bébhinn on the quay, Cherub Couture cakes and the Country House all of the top of my head and I'm sure there are one or two more. We could have more but please inform yourself before you actually make statements that are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You have Kite Design Studios which have about 4/5 different types of craft, Waterford Crystal, Finders Keepers, Bébhinn on the quay, Cherub Couture cakes and the Country House all of the top of my head and I'm sure there are one or two more. We could have more but please inform yourself before you actually make statements that are incorrect.

Waterford Crystal is hardly a quirky shop, its in the middle of prime tourist location where all the visitors are shunted into daily by the busload. Im sure the other shops are decent too but where exactly are they? Not on the usual tourist trail obviously, whereas Kilkenny has a main street and shopping area which features all of its variety of shops.

Waterford has far too many corporate coffee shops too.

• Advertisement

Waterford Crystal is hardly a quirky shop, its in the middle of prime tourist location where all the visitors are shunted into daily by the busload. Im sure the other shops are decent too but where exactly are they? Not on the usual tourist trail obviously, whereas Kilkenny has a main street and shopping area which features all of its variety of shops.

Waterford has far too many corporate coffee shops too.

Waterford Crystal is unique to Waterford and the showroom is fantastic. I know there are questions about where some of the pieces are made, but to not include as "quirky" I think is wrong.

A lot of the shops I mentioned are on the Quay within the Viking Triangle so once again you are off the mark there.

The shape of Kilkenny cannot be underestimated with regards to its atmosphere and everything being on the main street. It essentially has two/three streets so you can walk down one and up the other and you have seen everything.

Waterford on the other had has lots of streets and the main shopping area is not where the main tourist area is. With Kilkenny, the two areas are combined into the one and I'm not sure if anything can be done in Waterford about that. Maybe the North Quays development will result in the South Quays not being the edge of the city and I think they will help.

As for Coffee shops, it's not all "Corporate Coffee" off the top of my head you have Arch, Blackfriars, Toms Kitchen, the Parlour Vintage Tearooms (which is FANTASTIC), Gallweys, Cafe Lucia and the Park Lodge.

I'm not sure if you are from Waterford or not but these places do exist and you can find them if you happen to look for them for more than 5 seconds.

Advertisement