Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I like Tramore, it's a nice place to spend a few nights over summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

alta stare wrote: »
    Kilkenny would be not much bigger than Thomastown if they did not have that Castle.

Maybe the thread should be called "Why is Kilkenny left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries" if that's the case
    Deiseen wrote: »
    The Tower are currently undergoing a big redevelopment and there are plans for two more hotels in the city due to the shortage.

Sorry to say it now but what do you actually base your opinions on? Do you just dream them up while people watching in Kilkenny?

Waterford has loads of hotels, all at near capacity (because there's a shortage), has loads of festivals....ergo, should have lots of tourists...... why is there a need for this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

yuridwyer wrote: »
    Maybe the thread should be called "Why is Kilkenny left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries" if that's the case

Waterford has loads of hotels, all at near capacity (because there's a shortage), has loads of festivals....ergo, should have lots of tourists...... why is there a need for this thread?

I think the point is that it does well enough even though it is left out of literally all main tourist itineraries. It would do a hell of a lot better if it was included.

Additionally, Kilkenny has all the hype, has the castle and is included on most itineraries... ergo, it should be doing much much better than Waterford... but it isn't so why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

I think the point is that it does well enough even though it is left out of literally all main tourist itineraries. It would do a hell of a lot better if it was included.

I think the point is that this thread is asking why it's being left out of tourist itineraries, indicating it's not doing as well as places which feature highly on tourists itineraries. You're right that it would do a lot better if it was included, anywhere would, but what are the reasons why it's not included?

And now loop back to Page 1....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Think it's time to put this thread out of its misery. ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

I like Tramore, it's a nice place to spend a few nights over summer.

True. Tramore is underrated and written off. But it's a great town. The looped walk of the beach, the Doneraile and the Lafcadio-hearn Japanese gardens.

Love the pubs too- plenty to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There's plenty of vacant shop fronts in Dublin City, prime locations too.

There's an issue with vacant stores in Manhattan currently so hardly a Waterford problem.

Apple market and Viking triangle underwent significant upgrades recently and both looking very well.

Dublin can cope with that as they have plenty of options but Waterford
    can't afford to let buildings or areas such as these deteriorate to a level
    such as they are now. How long now has Sinnott's been lying idle?

I assume options for developing the area is limited due to surrounding structures but it can't or shouldn't be left to stagnate.
    That's what is wrong with this city. I'm all for preservation but there comes a time when you have to move on.
    Are the buildings on either side derelict or being used?

I think the point is that this thread is asking why it's being left out of tourist itineraries, indicating it's not doing as well as places which feature highly on tourists itineraries. You're right that it would do a lot better if it was included, anywhere would, but what are the reasons why it's not included?

And now loop back to Page 1....

This getting repetitive.... it's doing as good as Kilkenny but Kilkenny features on the lists while Waterford doesn't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I like Waterford, it's generally one of the cheaper options in the summer to get away for a few days, the Greenway is very good, it's not as pretentious as other places, Dunmore East is probably the nicest place to be in the country on a sunny day. Emilianos is fantastic for a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

If that was the case then i guess maybe it would be.....in the Kilkenny forum.

Waterford is constantly being put up against Kilkenny and i think one of the reasons why is this myth that Kilkenny is far busier than Waterford which is not true. Its a never ending cycle which would not exist if Kilkenny had not got the castle.

I thimk most of the tourists come here as a day trip to the Glass. They dont know there is more here due to the fact that the City has not been promoted as it should of been for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Ok so, just a few more questions:

1. Have you been to Coumshingaun?
    2. Have you been to Mahon Falls?
    3. Have you been to Lismore?
    4. Have you been on the Greenway?
    5. Have you driven the Copper Coast?

Wow!
    I was initially disapointed we weren't going to SW and the Skelligs, but I looked up those places and now I can't bloody wait!!

Now so long as they don't film a Star Wars film there and ruin it for everyone :P

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Wow!
    I was initially disapointed we weren't going to SW and the Skelligs, but I looked up those places and now I can't bloody wait!!

Now so long as they don't film a Star Wars film there and ruin it for everyone :P

Is that sarcasm Tom? :D

Wexford did a fantastic job on their quay front. Always loads out strolling on it and they have the spiegeltent there every year. Much better than the car parks we have. That said, parking is a disaster there......

I suppose it's a naturally beautiful vista looking out over the sea and they make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Mahon falls are really nice, was there a couple of years back and had never heard of them. Drove in on a whim seeing the signposts.
    Just yesterday a lad I work with posted on FB that Jed been there and said they were real nice.
    Nice walks I’ll be going back to do some proper hiking at some stage.

salmocab wrote: »
    Mahon falls are really nice, was there a couple of years back and had never heard of them. Drove in on a whim seeing the signposts.
    Just yesterday a lad I work with posted on FB that Jed been there and said they were real nice.
    Nice walks I’ll be going back to do some proper hiking at some stage.

If you think Mahon Falls are nice then wait until you see Coumshingaun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Coumshinaun is one of the most impressive sights you can see anywhere. The size of the back cliff when you first see it is unreal. Can't beat a sunny day up there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Could someone actually list out the festivals cause in KK as Waterford actually has lots now, it's something the council have worked very hard on and fair play to them.

Off the top of my head it's:

1. Winterval
    2. Spraoi + ATN
    3. Daytripper
    4. Harvest Festival
    5. 1848 Tricolour Fest
    6. Retro Fest
    7. Japanese Film Festival
    8. Imagine
    9. John Dwyer Trad Fest

Add Summer in the City / Art Beat / Spróg. I was in Waterford a few weekends last Summer and the street music + live music practically every weekend over the Summer created a great atmosphere. Some really good music.

Add Summer in the City / Art Beat / Spróg. I was in Waterford a few weekends last Summer and the street music + live music practically every weekend over the Summer created a great atmosphere. Some really good music.

And I forgot Waterford Walls! What a fantastic event

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

debok wrote: »
    Coumshinaun is one of the most impressive sights you can see anywhere.

No it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

No it isn't.

Ah jaysus your still going. Fair play to you boi.
    Must be on for some kinda record. Keep it up we are all behind you and hopefully you make a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No it isn't.

Its a lovely sight to be fair. Im not sure I would be gushing about it so ravely as some people here and practically salivating at the sight of it but theres no denying its a pretty view. Ive seen much prettier here and abroad but its still a lovely spot.

Its a lovely sight to be fair. Im not sure I would be gushing about it so ravely as some people here and practically salivating at the sight of it but theres no denying its a pretty view. Ive seen much prettier here and abroad but its still a lovely spot.

25% of the reviews on TripAdvisor are from people outside of Waterford saying that it is one of the best in Ireland/Europe/The World and 90% of the reviews are 5/5.

25% of the reviews on TripAdvisor are from people outside of Waterford saying that it is one of the best in Ireland/Europe/The World and 90% of the reviews are 5/5.

Oh right. I don't think statistics are going to change a persons mind. In fact I didn't even know an outdoor location like that would be included as a "trip" as such. Either way, I stand by my point. Seen better, seen worse.

Oh right. I don't think statistics are going to change a persons mind. In fact I didn't even know an outdoor location like that would be included as a "trip" as such. Either way, I stand by my point. Seen better, seen worse.

Your views appear to be fairly negative where your home county is concerned..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Deiseen wrote:

So that tiny lake is better than anywhere in the world?

I think you're the one trolling.

So that tiny lake is better than anywhere in the world?

I think you're the one trolling.

Compared to, say, some lakes and mountains in Canada or Switzerland, its a mere dot. Im not knocking it either but if you think its the best lake in the world, you need to leave Ireland now and then!

Your views appear to be fairly negative where your home county is concerned..

To be fair, I do think that you are very biased Deiseen. While there are doubtless some lovely places around, stating that some local lakes are the best in Europe or the world tends to devalue some of the points that you've been trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

Judging by scale and diversity of flora and fauna it's not a contender for most impressive place anywhere.

It's humble, what's wrong with that?
    It's a perfect Sunday hike in mid-summer. It's not Zion National, Snowdonia National or The Norwegian Fjords, all of which far out scale the comeraghs, still the comeraghs are nothing to sneeze at.

• Advertisement

Compared to, say, some lakes and mountains in Canada or Switzerland, its a mere dot. Im not knocking it either but if you think its the best lake in the world, you need to leave Ireland now and then!

I can guarantee you that I have travelled the world more than you ever will. For what it's worth, I didn't say it was the best in the world or Europe but people on TripAdvisor have said that, you can have a look if you want.

For a view, I think is spectacular but obviously the entire area cannot keep up with the larger national parks around the world.

Saying all that, I can confidently say that it's Top 5 in Ireland.

Advertisement