Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Deiseen wrote: »
    Exactly! their retail offering is really suffering at the moment and their tourist numbers are noy much better than Waterford's. We need to support each for the benefit of the South East.

Absolutely. My mother is from KK and so I have relatives in KK. A lot of them work in Waterford City and their children would have summer jobs/part-time work there too. A strong Waterford means future generations can continue to do that and hopefully there will be more employment and better options.

This can happen while concurrently enjoying all KK has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

debok wrote: »
    Cycled the mayo Greenway. It's not a patch on the Waterford one I think meself. Lot of it you are on the actually road . Also for where it is it misses alot of the coastal scenery. I think Waterford one with its Riverside setting at the city end and coastal setting at dungarvan end with the tunnel and kilmac bridge in between makes it an unbelievable amenity. I wish there was camping or glamping somewhere along the way. I'd love to own bit of land near and it start up a site.

You would be up against Waterford Planners. We gave up and are working away in another county.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 anawfulway

Sit and think about it two minutes in fairness. You're a tourist with a busy itinerary. What is there in Waterford city that is genuinely worth going out of your way to visit and is there enough of it to make even a whole days visit worthwhile.

Kilkenny is not what Waterford is competing with. Kilkenny is a short hop from Dublin, Waterford is an end point of a 3 hour journey. People will seriously consider if that 3 hour journey is worth their time. Waterford is competing with therefore: Galway, Cork, Limerick, Belfast, Killarney, Derry/Donegal.

Honestly presented with those options does Waterford offer enough to compete? I would say probably not at present or in the near future.

anawfulway wrote: »
    Sit and think about it two minutes in fairness. You're a tourist with a busy itinerary. What is there in Waterford city that is genuinely worth going out of your way to visit and is there enough of it to make even a whole days visit worthwhile.

Kilkenny is not what Waterford is competing with. Kilkenny is a short hop from Dublin, Waterford is an end point of a 3 hour journey. People will seriously consider if that 3 hour journey is worth their time. Waterford is competing with therefore: Galway, Cork, Limerick, Belfast, Killarney, Derry/Donegal.

Honestly presented with those options does Waterford offer enough to compete? I would say probably not at present or in the near future.

It takes less than 2 hours to get to Waterford from Dublin though.....

I know, I drive it often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm not from the area and my visits to both cities are usually of about 24 hours duration - as would be those of typical tourists.

The impression I gather on such visits is that KK is reasonably affluent, cultured and attractive to explore whereas in comparison Waterford is tacky and low brow.

Neither is my favourite place in Ireland but to the casual visitor (which includes tourists) KK is much the nicer and I think tourist traffic reflects that.

Howls of offended outrage can be placed here - I promise to read them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Kilkenny is a short hop whilst Waterford is a 3 hr journey. :D

Waterford is 25mins away from Kilkenny which makes it only 25mins more if travelling from Dublin to Waterford instead of Dublin to Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

It takes less than 2 hours to get to Waterford from Dublin though.....

I know, I drive it often enough.

Then another half an hour to get anywhere if you are going via the Quays.

It takes me more time to get across the town than it does to drive 25 miles into the Ring Road. One of the main reasons I rarely bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Where is Waterford?

I jest.....I've visited it as part of going somewhere else more interesting.

my3cents wrote: »
    Then another half an hour to get anywhere if you are going via the Quays.

If you're staying in a hotel in Waterford City, you're either staying on the quays (Tower, Granville, Treacy's, Dooley's, Fitzwilliam) or a 5/10 minute drive from there.

First Up wrote: »
    I'm not from the area and my visits to both cities are usually of about 24 hours duration - as would be those of typical tourists.

The impression I gather on such visits is that KK is reasonably affluent, cultured and attractive to explore whereas in comparison Waterford is tacky and low brow.

Neither is my favourite place in Ireland but to the casual visitor (which includes tourists) KK is much the nicer and I think tourist traffic reflects that.

:D:D:D

Would you go back and do some study ffs. Your junior cert is more important than posting idiotic comments on Boards.

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »
    Kilkenny is a short hop whilst Waterford is a 3 hr journey. :D

Waterford is 25mins away from Kilkenny which makes it only 25mins more if travelling from Dublin to Waterford instead of Dublin to Kilkenny.

Would driving be the primary mode of transport for a tourist? I dont know but would have my doubts. Even at that 2 hours from Dublin still leaves direct competition with a lot of very popular destinations.

No outrage. Just a suggestion, as you are someone who enjoys history, would you go do the tours in Reginald's Tour, Medieval Museum and Bishop's Palace and then come back to us?

Also go eat in La Boheme, Everret's, or Emiliano's. Find a nice pub for a few drinks (loads were mentioned earlier)...

I honestly think you will enjoy yourself.

Would driving be the primary mode of transport for a tourist? I dont know but would have my doubts. Even at that 2 hours from Dublin still leaves direct competition with a lot of very popular destinations.

It doesnt matter how you travel. The distance is almost the same. Train planes or automobiles.

Think about it. If it takes 2 hrs on a train from Dublin to Kilkenny. Kilkenny to Waterford 20 mins. That means a train to Dublin to Waterford would be still only about 2hr 20mins. So where is the short hop from Dublin to Kilkenny while Dublin to Waterford is supposedly a much longer journey (in your logic).

By the way before someone jumps in and says im wrong about the actual times i am merely being hypothetical and the times are not accurate hence the if at the start of my post.

I honestly think you will enjoy yourself.

I can enjoy myself anywhere but that isn't the point. A tourist or any casual visitor with limited knowledge of a city will be influenced by what they see and how it feels to be there. Waterford scores less well on that than other cities that it competes with for tourists.

alta stare wrote: »
    It doesnt matter how you travel. The distance is almost the same. Train planes or automobiles.

Think about it. If it takes 2 hrs on a train from Dublin to Kilkenny. Kilkenny to Waterford 20 mins. That means a train to Dublin to Waterford would be still only about 2hr 20mins. So where is the short hop from Dublin to Kilkenny while Dublin to Waterford is supposedly a much longer journey (in your logic).

By the way before someone jumps in and says im wrong about the actual times i am merely being hypothetical and the times are not accurate hence the if at the start of my post.

I think you're fixating on Kilkenny again tbh which is problematic. It's pretty much a half way point on all public transport between Dublin and Waterford. Theres a big difference mentally in thinking "Sure Kilkenny is only an hour away" to going the whole way on the line to Waterford.

Also if you as an international tourist stop at Kilkenny you then have a decision whether to continue to Waterford or redirect towards Cashel, Cork, Killarney etc.

From a start journey point of view all the other 2 hour plus options are in play. In each case option Waterford is relatively weak unfortunately. Thats reality, arguing against it doesnt change it.

I think you're fixating on Kilkenny again tbh which is problematic. It's pretty much a half way point on all public transport between Dublin and Waterford. Theres a big difference mentally in thinking "Sure Kilkenny is only an hour away" to going the whole way on the line to Waterford.

Also if you as an international tourist stop at Kilkenny you then have a decision whether to continue to Waterford or redirect towards Cashel, Cork, Killarney etc.

From a start journey point of view all the other 2 hour plus options are in play. In each case option Waterford is relatively weak unfortunately. Thats reality, arguing against it doesnt change it.

I'm afraid you brought up KK in your post and it is not the half way point. We have established that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kilkenny is in no way shape or form halfway - Carlow is. Kilkenny is about as distant from Waterford as the Kilcullen M7/9 interchange is from the M50.

Nope im not. You said KK is a hop away from Dublin and implied Waterford was alot further. Both are wrong. I travelled (still do twice a week) between KK and Waterford for a few years i know how long it takes to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Need to correct you there. Tourist numbers in KK and Waterford are basically same. Tourists spend quiet a bit more money in Waterford though.

Deiseen wrote:
    Need to correct you there. Tourist numbers in KK and Waterford are basically same. Tourists spend quiet a bit more money in Waterford though.

I assume you have data to support that but can I remind you that the OP asked why Waterford is left off tourist itineraries.

Some of us have offered reasons why we prefer other places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thanks; the link doesn't work but I'm not questioning its accuracy - just its relevance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The simple answer as to why Waterford is left off tourist itineraries is that the city is late coming to the tourism party. My father worked in KK in the 1960s and says it was dead as a dodo. The opening of the castle was the spur. they tried industry (a big textile factory opened there and failed spectacularly) without success as most tended to go to Waterford anyway and still do. Even Glanbia opened their huge (€300 million and counting) plant in Ferrybank. Waterford has always been a different "thing" than KK. That town has been a country market town always (no offence meant) and that is still largely its function. That ethos always survived. Waterford in contrast has had a huge number of economic ups and downs over the centuries leaving us with what we have for good or bad.Its only 20 years since the quays were fully working port and above all the place got a fierce clatter in 2008/11 when several large industries closed. KK is a nice town 30 minutes from Waterford. If people want to go there whats wrong with that? You might as well try to stop KK folk going to Tramore on a Sunday. Waterford city is trying as always to reinvent itself. The next couple of years will tell if that's successful. That success will feed into the economy of KK as it always has.

Thanks; the link doesn't work but I'm not questioning its accuracy - just its relevance

You said Kilkenny is much nicer and that the tourist numbers reflect that. When in fact the numbers are pretty much the same and you could actually say Waterford does better as they spend a fair bit more here.

I think people have heard bad things about Waterford and when they visit and see something, that they would literally see nywhere in Ireland/the world, then they go "yep, i knew it! Waterford is rough as feck" when in fact its just the world we live in. Once again, not saying its the safest or most beautiful place in the world but its not as bad as people are making out on here.

I've spoken to many tourists about Waterford and while it hasn't blown them away, they have not left with any bad impression what so ever (aside from one!). Most even liked it can you believe.

Deiseen wrote:
    You said Kilkenny is much nicer and that the tourist numbers reflect that. When in fact the numbers are pretty much the same and you could actually say Waterford does better as they spend a fair bit more here.

Its true I would have expected KK to have the bigger number of tourists but I was mostly offering my personal comparison between the two cities as places to visit.

I suspect Waterford did well out of the Waterford Crystal connection (maybe it still does). It was its best asset in terms of branding.

Its true I would have expected KK to have the bigger number of tourists but I was mostly offering my personal comparison between the two cities as places to visit.

I suspect Waterford did well out of the Waterford Crystal connection (maybe it still does). It was its best asset in terms of branding.

And that's fine, you can prefer Kilkenny. It's a very lovely place.

The point I'm trying to make is that if people think Waterford isn't nice then they must think the vast majority of places in Ireland are not nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

I think the River Suir, which is so wide in comparison to the Liffey say, is another underused resource.

Is this the river that is largely mud except at high tide?

Deiseen wrote:
    The point I'm trying to make is that if people think Waterford isn't nice then they must think the vast majority of places in Ireland are not nice.

I can think of a lot of places that I prefer to visit but full marks for sticking up for your home town.

Is this the river that is largely mud except at high tide?

Yeah, like many many many rivers in the world including the Thames which is an extremely busy river in terms of boats/cruises.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Deiseen wrote:
    Yeah, like many many many rivers in the world including the Thames which is an extremely busy river in terms of boats/cruises.

The Thames being the principal river of one of the most famous cities in the world with some of the world's most identifiable buildings along it's banks.

Can you remind me what Waterfords river has to recommend it?

Advertisement