Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Thames being the principal river of one of the most famous cities in the world with some of the world's most identifiable buildings along it's banks.

Can you remind me what Waterfords river has to recommend it?

That it's a river? The journey down stream from the city to Dunmore is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

The Thames being the principal river of one of the most famous cities in the world with some of the world's most identifiable buildings along it's banks.

Can you remind me what Waterfords river has to recommend it?

Ah, another one. Aren't you the same fella who never heard of a greenway, or chose not to because there was one in Waterford?

That it's a river? The journey down stream from the city to Dunmore is lovely.

It's actually amazing and definitely needs to be marketed more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Is this the river that is largely mud except at high tide?

Your seriously having a go at a river for having mud. Christ that's the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think it should be renamed The Nile, to reflect the attitude of some here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

First Up wrote: »
    I think it should be renamed The Nile, to reflect the attitude of some here.

Good to see you know about the Nile. You will surely pass geography. Good boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wow yet another thread about Kilkenny- do people in Waterford ever really think about anything or anywhere else or is it just ingrained into the Waterford pysche at birth? This thread is borderline insane- people rambling on for pages in minute detail about virtually nothing

road_high wrote: »
    Wow yet another thread about Kilkenny- do people in Waterford ever really think about anything or anywhere else or is it just ingrained into the Waterford pysche at birth? This thread is borderline insane- people rambling on for pages in minute detail about virtually nothing

If you were better neighbours...

I don't think it was any from Waterford who brought up Kilkenny first. But hey don't let the truth ruin a good story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Deiseen wrote: »
    It's actually amazing and definitely needs to be marketed more.

I remember in the mid 1970's there was a boat on the river that used to bring tourists up river to Carrick if I'm not mistaken.
    I would love to travel down to the coast on a boat to Dunmore East and I think that it would be popular
    but at what cost to the passenger, and would it be worthwhile to the operator considering insurance and costs?
    Probably not!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I remember in the mid 1970's there was a boat on the river that used to bring tourists up river to Carrick if I'm not mistaken. I would love to travel down to the coast on a boat to Dunmore East and I think that it would be popular but at what cost to the passenger, and would it be worthwhile to the operator considering insurance and costs? Probably not!

Could be viable if the nq's happens, **** of a tide to paddle against as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Interesting how much discussion was sparked about Waterford's absence from tourist itineraries. Obviously there's enough to be said about it!

Have to say I love being asked where I'm from and saying Waterford City. People genuinely always seem to have nice things to say about the place and Dunmore, Tramore. The Greenway gets mentioned now too. So Im surprised by the level of negativity on this thread especially talk of 'roughness'

Met a girl in Dublin who last year spent a week's holidays in Waterford City with her family during the heatwave. She has no relatives in Waterford so didn't choose it for that reason. Even I think a week's holidays is pushing it, but they had a blast(weather helped obviously). Did day trips to Dunmore and Tramore. They sat outside at the apple market having a few drinks quite a bit. Did the history tours.

Our tourist numbers are good and improving. Hopefully we'll appear on more itineraries into the future to reflect this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Could be viable if the nq's happens, **** of a tide to paddle against as well

Why would the NQ's have anything to do with it?

Isn't the purpose of the NQ's to draw people in to spend their money
    but a trip down river are obviously drawing them away?
    I appreciate though that it could be another option to draw people in!

Why would the NQ's have anything to do with it?

Isn't the purpose of the NQ's to draw people in to spend their money
    but a trip down river are obviously drawing them away?
    I appreciate though that it could be another option to draw people in!

Well if they come to Waterford then they'll spend at least some money in there. The boat could be an extra reason reason for them to make the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Have to say I love being asked where I'm from and saying Waterford City. People genuinely always seem to have nice things to say about the place and Dunmore, Tramore. The Greenway gets mentioned now too. So Im surprised by the level of negativity on this thread especially talk of 'roughness'

The attractions around the county have been acknowledged and praised here but the subject of the thread is the city.

Nobody is saying Waterford is the only place in the country that suffers from late night rowdies but in my case it was the strongest (maybe only) memory that stayed with me, in the absence of more positive experiences.

If you want more tourists that imbalance needs to be addressed.

Just came back into town through Sallypark - that Swan Plastics place and everything round it really is shocklng.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

HP if you want to see something really shocking drive/cycle/walk out Bilberry to see the start of the Greenway and look across the river. There is some sort of huge wrecked warehouse complex on the other side of the river in Co Kilkenny that would do justice to some dystopian future. Maybe the people who lurk on this and other threads have influence in that part of the world? Must get pics next time.

The Kilkenny border is a wasteland but one that reflects badly on Waterford (which is why the KK CC don't do much with the area).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There are definitely a few no go areas and estates around Waterford but no more than any other town or city so that is not a deal breaker in my view. Waterford has a huge amount going for it.

• Advertisement

Just came back into town through Sallypark - that Swan Plastics place and everything round it really is shocklng.

I agree. Lets Hope the NQ happen and maybe all that area there might be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I remember in the mid 1970's there was a boat on the river that used to bring tourists up river to Carrick if I'm not mistaken.
    I would love to travel down to the coast on a boat to Dunmore East and I think that it would be popular
    but at what cost to the passenger, and would it be worthwhile to the operator considering insurance and costs?
    Probably not!
    There are two boats one a sailing vessel the Brian Ború, and the other, The Marksman that will do that trip once you have about 12 to 15 people, and I can recommend the Marksman as the chap that run's that boat has more knowledge than anyone of the river and he will tell you about the whole history of the river.

There are definitely a few no go areas and estates around Waterford but no more than any other town or city so that is not a deal breaker in my view. Waterford has a huge amount going for it.

I never knew Waterford had no go areas and estates,where are they?

I never knew Waterford had no go areas and estates,where are they?

I detect some sarcasm in that post but if you want an answer then Larchville and surrounding areas are rough no question. That pub that used to be Bad Bobs...hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

If you were better neighbours...

Can people in glass houses throw stones.

I detect some sarcasm in that post but if you want an answer then Larchville and surrounding areas are rough no question. That pub that used to be Bad Bobs...hmmm.

It was a genuine question,i've lived in Waterford most of my life and i've never heard of any no go areas,you need to get out more if you think Larchville is rough.

Absolute nonsense.

Which affluent area are you from?

It was a genuine question,i've lived in Waterford most of my life and i've never heard of any no go areas,you need to get out more if you think Larchville is rough.

Em the amount of crime and hassle thats been around Larchville the last few years is well documented. Cars burnt out, neighbours from hell and the Guards are there very often too. Im not saying its the only dodgy spot but its certainly not a good area.

Em the amount of crime and hassle thats been around Larchville the last few years is well documented. Cars burnt out, neighbours from hell and the Guards are there very often too. Im not saying its the only dodgy spot but its certainly not a good area.

Im sorry but you are talking absolute sh!te. Even when i was growing up Larchville wasnt as rough as you seem to be portraying it. Im in my mid 30s now.

This topic comes up at least once a year on this forum and each year its bullsh!t. Yet again ill say it, the likes of Ballybeg, Larchville, Lisduggan, etc were all a bit rough around the edges many years ago but not now. Like before, like now and of course in the future there will be one or two groups who will cause issues but as a whole the people out in these so called rough areas are good people.

Some of the more thought of housing estates have their issues too. Take off your blinkers and you might just see it.

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »
    Im sorry but you are talking absolute sh!te. Even when i was growing up Larchville wasnt as rough as you seem to be portraying it. Im in my mid 30s now.

This topic comes up at least once a year on this forum and each year its bullsh!t. Yet again ill say it, the likes of Ballybeg, Larchville, Lisduggan, etc were all a bit rough around the edges many years ago but not now. Like before, like now and of course in the future there will be one or two groups who will cause issues but as a whole the people out in these so called rough areas are good people.

Some of the more thought of housing estates have their issues too. Take off your blinkers and you might just see it.

I'd have the view too that Larchville and Ballybeg would be fairly rough. Ballybeg in particular has had some very serious incidents over the years. I'm not saying everyone out there is rough but there's enough rough heads to give it a bad reputation.

Advertisement