Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Deiseen wrote:
    I'd have the view too that Larchville and Ballybeg would be fairly rough. Ballybeg in particular has had some very serious incidents over the years. I'm not saying everyone out there is rough but there's enough rough heads to give it a bad reputation.

Every city has its no go areas but guess what, that's not where tourists go.

By all means clean up the blackspots but if you want more tourists, you need to work on the areas where they do go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

First Up wrote: »
    Its true I would have expected KK to have the bigger number of tourists but I was mostly offering my personal comparison between the two cities as places to visit.

I suspect Waterford did well out of the Waterford Crystal connection (maybe it still does). It was its best asset in terms of branding.

I posted those statistics earlier in the thread.

They are only for overseas tourists and I suspect if you look at the domestic tourism market, Kilkenny will potentially be doing a lot better.

However I expect Waterfords domestic tourism numbers to increase over the next few years , as the Greenway has been a huge success within the domestic market.

Also we need to understand that the numbers published are for the county, not the City. The thread has turned into a City-bashing one unfortunately and the OP did not specify that this thread was limited to the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

bullpost wrote: »

They are only for overseas tourists and I suspect if you look at the domestic tourism market, Kilkenny will potentially be doing a lot better.

However I expect Waterfords domestic tourism numbers to increase over the next few years , as the Greenway has been a huge success within the domestic market.

Also we need to understand that the numbers published are for the county, not the City. The thread has turned into a City-bashing one unfortunately and the OP did not specify that this thread was limited to the City.

We have two forums, Waterford City and Waterford County this post is in the City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Waterford gets more domestic tourists and they spend more.

Perception and reality can be quiet different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Deiseen wrote: »
    Waterford gets more domestic tourists and they spend more.

Perception and reality can be quiet different.

Do you have figures for this?

• Advertisement

Do you have figures for this?

http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/3_Research_Insights/4_Visitor_Insights/Regional-tourism-performance-in-2016-(Revised-March-2018.pdf?ext=.pdf

Page 5.

I know 2016 is 3 years ago but that's the latest one that Fáilte Ireland have. From 2012 - 2016 Kilkenny had more domestic visitors in only one year: 2013.

Waterford has had more in all other years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Em the amount of crime and hassle thats been around Larchville the last few years is well documented. Cars burnt out, neighbours from hell and the Guards are there very often too. Im not saying its the only dodgy spot but its certainly not a good area.

Out of curiosity have you ever been in Larchville?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I'd have the view too that Larchville and Ballybeg would be fairly rough. Ballybeg in particular has had some very serious incidents over the years. I'm not saying everyone out there is rough but there's enough rough heads to give it a bad reputation.

There are two or three (families) at most who would be rough enough that you could class them as scum but the rest are good people and i know this as i lived there for 27 years.

There have been plenty if incidents over the years all over the city and county but it seems the incidents garner more attention if they happen in Ballybeg or the likes.

I am not denying that Ballybeg was rough, i grew up there and i seen my fair share of things but it isnt like that anymore. There are worse places in the town now and even though that is the case those places also have good people there. Some people tend to forget that and start throwing labels around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Waterford isn't rough. It's absolutely tame compared to west Dublin or parts of Limerick. I never notice any major crime in the media over and above anywhere else. Would never feel unsafe walking or parking in the city centre.

road_high wrote: »
    Waterford isn't rough. It's absolutely tame compared to west Dublin or parts of Limerick. I never notice any major crime in the media over and above anywhere else. Would never feel unsafe walking or parking in the city centre.

Parts of Dublin and Limerick are a whole different kettle of fish. But then parts of those places are fantastic too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

alta stare wrote: »
    Im sorry but you are talking absolute sh!te. Even when i was growing up Larchville wasnt as rough as you seem to be portraying it. Im in my mid 30s now.

This topic comes up at least once a year on this forum and each year its bullsh!t. Yet again ill say it, the likes of Ballybeg, Larchville, Lisduggan, etc were all a bit rough around the edges many years ago but not now. Like before, like now and of course in the future there will be one or two groups who will cause issues but as a whole the people out in these so called rough areas are good people.

Some of the more thought of housing estates have their issues too. Take off your blinkers and you might just see it.

Are you still living in the area? Its natural to not think anything bad of the place you live and know the neighbours etc and im not at all saying that all the people there are rough but I read the local papers and I know a few people who used to live there but had to move, and to say its not rough is just not true.
    A delivery driver got the life nearly beaten out of him when making a delivery not so long ago, theres an ongoing anti-social issue with teens etc trying to intimidate locals and the Gardaí are there quite often responding to calls. Yes, just like other estates but I wouldn't call Larchville a "safe" area as such.

Are you still living in the area? Its natural to not think anything bad of the place you live and know the neighbours etc and im not at all saying that all the people there are rough but I read the local papers and I know a few people who used to live there but had to move, and to say its not rough is just not true.
    A delivery driver got the life nearly beaten out of him when making a delivery not so long ago, theres an ongoing anti-social issue with teens etc trying to intimidate locals and the Gardaí are there quite often responding to calls. Yes, just like other estates but I wouldn't call Larchville a "safe" area as such.

No im not but i have 3 family members still living there.

So someone got beat up and that makes the place rough?? I dont think so. There are many times something untoward has happened across a multitude of housing estates around Waterford so it isnt exclusive to Ballybeg or Larchville. Im afraid you are just making presumptions based of what you hear/read and not what you see. What about all the times nothing is happening out there?? Is it not rough then?? You see you dont think about the place for one minute when nothing happens but as soon as you hear or read something you automatically come to the conclusion it is rough.

Im sorry but you are being ignorant. By the way i still havent been told what area you are from?

No im not but i have 3 family members still living there.

So someone got beat up and that makes the place rough?? I dont think so. There are many times something untoward has happened across a multitude of housing estates around Waterford so it isnt exclusive to Ballybeg or Larchville. Im afraid you are just making presumptions based of what you hear/read and not what you see. What about all the times nothing is happening out there?? Is it not rough then?? You see you dont think about the place for one minute when nothing happens but as soon as you hear or read something you automatically come to the conclusion it is rough.

Im sorry but you are being ignorant. By the way i still havent been told what area you are from?

Im just outside the city so not in an estate but i used to rent in Lismore Park and i know for a fact that there were a lot of issues with anti social behavior. Well it was a bit more than beaten up to be fair the poor chap was nearly killed so that leaves a bad impression. Plus you can tell a lot about the area by the clientelle in the local pubs and that Craftman pub is absolutely lethal and thats not ignoranace just a fact!
    I would imagine even looking at someone in that pub would send you to intensive care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im just outside the city so not in an estate but i used to rent in Lismore Park and i know for a fact that there were a lot of issues with anti social behavior. Well it was a bit more than beaten up to be fair the poor chap was nearly killed so that leaves a bad impression. Plus you can tell a lot about the area by the clientelle in the local pubs and that Craftman pub is absolutely lethal and thats not ignoranace just a fact!
    I would imagine even looking at someone in that pub would send you to intensive care.

Dont ever go into Paddy Browns if you think the Park Inn is like that :D:D

Dont ever go into Paddy Browns if you think the Park Inn is like that :D:D

Was never in there. Dodgy?

The last sentence really tells me the kind of person you are and you are right its not ignorant, that is too nice of a description for you.

The last sentence really tells me the kind of person you are and you are right its not ignorant, that is too nice of a description for you.

Ok fair enough that was probably too harsh a description. But i can only go by impressions whilst i was in there. I dont know the whole history of the pub i only go by personal experience.

Ok fair enough that was probably too harsh a description. But i can only go by impressions whilst i was in there. I dont know the whole history of the pub i only go by personal experience.

Right.

Well im sure you are a glowing bastian of society. Be careful you dont end up mixing with those peasants as you might catch a disease.

Right.

Well im sure you are a glowing bastian of society. Be careful you dont end up mixing with those peasants as you might catch a disease.

You don't have to be like that, I take back that description.

The peasants thing is below the belt. Im not some snob, but if I walk into a pub and it seems charged with tension or as if a fight could break out at any minute, then it leaves a bad impression with me. That's the same be it Larchville or anywhere in the world.

You don't have to be like that, I take back that description.

The peasants thing is below the belt. Im not some snob, but if I walk into a pub and it seems charged with tension or as if a fight could break out at any minute, then it leaves a bad impression with me. That's the same be it Larchville or anywhere in the world.

Sure you could walk into a posh restaurant or hotel and have the head kicked off ya or you could walk into what you perceive as a rough bar full of scum and have the time of your life. Your perception of people is very skewed. I almost feel bad for you for having such a sweeping negative viewpoint of other people.

If you walked into a bar and seen me how would you know if im a scumbag or not?? It seems you are quick to make assumptions based on appearance.

What if you met me in a posh bar and i was a cnut? What if you met me in a not so posh bar and i was the nicest person you ever met? Would it matter if i was from Ballybeg? Would your perception of people be still so warped? Its yourself id be looking at not others when you have such an ignorant viewpoint of people from certain areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Ballybeg was listed in the IBAL tidy towns in 2016 & 2017- hardly the sign of a rough area.

Waterford has no "no-go" areas as such. "No go areas", to me anyway, are areas I wouldn't walk through during the day or drive through during the night. I'd feel safe anywhere in Waterford doing those things.

Walking in the night is a different thing altogether and as a woman, few places I feel genuinely safe alone in the dark. Actually prefer walking around Dublin in the dark than Waterford, because it's busy and there's plenty of cars and pedestrians. Some Waterford roads can be very quiet at night.

Sure you could walk into a posh restaurant or hotel and have the head kicked off ya or you could walk into what you perceive as a rough bar full of scum and have the time of your life. Your perception of people is very skewed. I almost feel bad for you for having such a sweeping negative viewpoint of other people.

If you walked into a bar and seen me how would you know if im a scumbag or not?? It seems you are quick to make assumptions based on appearance.

What if you met me in a posh bar and i was a cnut? What if you met me in a not so posh bar and i was the nicest person you ever met? Would it matter if i was from Ballybeg? Would your perception of people be still so warped? Its yourself id be looking at not others when you have such an ignorant viewpoint of people from certain areas.

I think within the last few paragraphs its you who are making sweeping judgements against me. You dont know me you have never met me so calling my viewpoint skewed and negative is a strange conclusion to arrive at. You are clearly defensive when it comes to your childhood area and thats fine i get that. And of course people from all walks of life can be horrible or lovely and it doesnt matter where they come from or how much money they have. I know that, trust me some of the nicest people in Waterford are the salt of the earth and some of the most wicked are rich business owners.

I can only go by my own experience. No agenda and no pre judgements. I rented in Lismore Park for 2 years and i witnessed a LOT of anti social thuggery from several families, many cars destroyed or burnt out and some very serious assaults and drug dealing. Ive seen it happen with my own eyes. Thats hard to shake off as a reputation. I went into the Park Inn a few times and i got a very unwelcome vibe from the locals. I tried to engage but i got nowhere. Thats what happened to me and thats where my views came from. You shouldnt completely dismiss it because you grew up in the area.

I think within the last few paragraphs its you who are making sweeping judgements against me. You dont know me you have never met me so calling my viewpoint skewed and negative is a strange conclusion to arrive at. You are clearly defensive when it comes to your childhood area and thats fine i get that. And of course people from all walks of life can be horrible or lovely and it doesnt matter where they come from or how much money they have. I know that, trust me some of the nicest people in Waterford are the salt of the earth and some of the most wicked are rich business owners.

I can only go by my own experience. No agenda and no pre judgements. I rented in Lismore Park for 2 years and i witnessed a LOT of anti social thuggery from several families, many cars destroyed or burnt out and some very serious assaults and drug dealing. Ive seen it happen with my own eyes. Thats hard to shake off as a reputation. I went into the Park Inn a few times and i got a very unwelcome vibe from the locals. I tried to engage but i got nowhere. Thats what happened to me and thats where my views came from. You shouldnt completely dismiss it because you grew up in the area.

Well it isnt nice to be subject of someone elses negative opinion is it?

Well it isnt nice to be subject of someone elses negative opinion is it?

Its a different opinion to yours. Doesnt make it negative.

Its a different opinion to yours. Doesnt make it negative.

I didnt say your opinion was negative. I said your perception of people in certain areas is negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

Can a mod intervene here? The previous few pages have been pure childish.

Can a mod intervene here? The previous few pages have been pure childish.

Why? We are having a discussion on a discussion based website. You are reading it enough to not like it yet here you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

Why? We are having a discussion on a discussion based website. You are reading it enough to not like it yet here you are.

The topic that started was a general discussion on why Waterford was not getting recognition from tourists and I enjoyed the initial discussion hence why I retained my interest in it. But as I stated, what has happened in the last few pages...such and such an area is fine......no it's not.......yes it is....no it's not etc. Yawn. But you're right, it's a discussion site so why don't you start a separate thread about "rough areas/lack of rough areas in Waterford"

The topic that started was a general discussion on why Waterford was not getting recognition from tourists and I enjoyed the initial discussion hence why I retained my interest in it. But as I stated, what has happened in the last few pages...such and such an area is fine......no it's not.......yes it is....no it's not etc. Yawn. But you're right, it's a discussion site so why don't you start a separate thread about "rough areas/lack of rough areas in Waterford"

Why Would i? I wasnt the person who suggested such a ridiculous thing about certain areas in the first place. We were having a debate about the original post made by the poster in question. Isnt this what this site is all about? Yes i agree it has taken from the actual topic on this thread but all i was doing was partaking in a debate just as i seem to be doing now with you :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This thread has gone to pot.

Advertisement