Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

This thread has gone to pot.

Like so many before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

alta stare wrote: »
    Why Would i? I wasnt the person who suggested such a ridiculous thing about certain areas in the first place. We were having a debate about the original post made by the poster in question. Isnt this what this site is all about? Yes i agree it has taken from the actual topic on this thread but all i was doing was partaking in a debate just as i seem to be doing now with you :D

Alright but nobody is interested in whether larchville, ballybeg or wherever is or isn't a "rough" area. I'm certainly not anyway.

Alright but nobody is interested in whether larchville, ballybeg or wherever is or isn't a "rough" area. I'm certainly not anyway.

Fair enough.

Ignore our posts so or just put me on ignore either way i don't mind ill still have a debate if it interests me enough :D

To be fair there has been worse sh!te posted on this forum so this just adds to it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I bet you are wondering if John's Park and Kilcohan are rough though!

Deiseen wrote: »

Something in your question tells me he/she has asked such a question here before? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

alta stare wrote: »
    Something in your question tells me he/she has asked such a question here before? :D

Don't think I asked about such a vexing issue on here before but put up the link to the post where I may have made such a divisive comment 😂 Methinks Deiseen has his/her posters mixed up however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Deiseen wrote: »

Kilcohan is rough, never come out of the dog track with money. Would the large amount of junkies and hard luck stories have anything to do with tourists not fancying the town. Worst I ever saw was a real idiot following tourists off a bus and tapping them down by Reginald's tower next to the boat. With that kind of scum about, why would people visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

no way am i readin 15 pages of people arguin wether johns park is better than ballybeg but here's my 2c on the matter. disclaimer: i emigrated 8 years ago. put yourself in a tourists shoes. for a lot of tourists it might be their only time visiting ireland. imagine you were going to japan, but you only had 2 weeks. where would you go? and then imagine you met a japanese person when you came back and they were from yamaguchi. of course, theyd be wondering why you didnt go out of your way to get a look at the place they grew up in, lovely forests and beaches, a half hour drive to the mountains, a hopping nightlife. sure it has it all!

reason 1: waterford does not have as much as you think. i saw a thread on reddit about 2 years ago by a tourist titled "whats with waterford?" they were wondering why everything was so quiet in the city center in the evenings. nobody visiting ireland from anywhere gives 2 ****es about the greenway or the viking triangle. as for the crystal, id say around 1/4 people, maybe less, react with "oh the crystal place?" when i tell them where im from. to the rest, i might as well be from yamaguchi.

reason 2: waterford is "out of the way" of the tourist route. from talking to people who have been to ireland or are planning on going, for most people dublin is the priority. then after that, the west coast. after that, kerry/cork. then after that, belfast/the north. most seem to want 3-4 days in each place. tell me with a straight face there's enough to entertain an international tourist in waterford for 4 days. some people will stop in kilkenny on their way from cork back to dublin or vice versa. that's the main route, and waterford is 2 trips on the same road to/from kilkenny to most.

reason 3: waterford, wether you like it or not, has developed a name for itself over the past 10 or so years. it's not the first place the tourist info centers in dublin will be recommending to the yank who has a few days to spare.

probably hard pills to swallow but it's the truth. all the negative stuff being said, ive recommended waterford to some people who were visiting ireland and wanted a different experience. hipster tourists if you will. some of the best dance acts in europe have played in waterford the past few years. the lineup at last years techno fest in tramore you honestly wouldnt see it in berlin. i considered flying home for it. if there's hope for waterford tourism in the future, i believe it will be this kind of stuff; "alternative tourism". legalize cannabis locally and see what happens :pac::pac::pac:

please restrain yourself from breaking my post apart and telling me how wrong i am, i have no intention of defending my opinions. this site has "gone to the dogs" years ago and this thread is a perfect example of the kinds of people who are left here. trolls trolling trolls. want to win the argument lads? get off the computer

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

reason 2: waterford is "out of the way" of the tourist route.

Tourist routes are planned by operators.
    Waterford needs to 'sell itself' to those who plan such routes, so that it might get included more often.
    Kerry is a lot more 'out of the way' than Waterford, but has sold itself well.

What has Kerry got to offer that Waterford lacks?
    Coastline?
    Mountain scenery?
    Nightlife? (late nights are not a big draw for package tourists)
    General Light Entertainment ..... not sure about that ....

Cute Kerrymen & women ........ definitely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

McGaggs wrote: »
    Waterford city doesn't have much going for it. Looks totally run down. I've no awareness of any tourist attractions there. There's some nice spots around the county, but not enough of a concentration to attract tourists. Maybe the copper coast could be promoted.

I've found Tramore to be a kip. Another place that time has passed by like Bray, Bundoran, Salthill or Courttown. Dunmore East was nice, but awkward to get to and bad experiences in a few pubs and restaurants.

What BS. The flour mills were recently demolished, the Viking Triangle was created, New Waterford Crystal building on the mall, the Cathedral square development, Bailys New Street, Apple Market,The only part of the town that is run down is maybe O'Connell Street.

Dunmore East isn't awkward to get to. You can literally get there for less than 3 euro on a bus.

• Advertisement

If the place is dead on a Friday it may not survive very long unfortunately. I haven't heard much about Itty Bitty's.

Why not go up to Geoff's, Davy Mac's, or just across from that bar to The Munster or Jordan's, down the quay to Uisce Beatha (won the award for best pub in Waterford last night at the Irish Restaurant Awards), the Metalman, or Phil Grimes, O'Grady's Yard... or over to Tully's, Walsh's or Downses....

There's so many good spots in Waterford at the weekend!

I'm also out of Waterford a similar amount of time, return regularly with my Dublin partner. We always have a great night with good, reasonably priced food and drinks.

Last time I was in Metalman there were two other people there. I don't know how they actually make money there unfortunately. I've only seen it packed on one occasion, but usually I only see the barman and about three people at the bar. I think people should be supporting locally produced craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

reason 2: waterford is "out of the way" of the tourist route. from talking to people who have been to ireland or are planning on going, for most people dublin is the priority. then after that, the west coast. after that, kerry/cork. then after that, belfast/the north. most seem to want 3-4 days in each place. tell me with a straight face there's enough to entertain an international tourist in waterford for 4 days. some people will stop in kilkenny on their way from cork back to dublin or vice versa. that's the main route, and waterford is 2 trips on the same road to/from kilkenny to most.

I was going to post something very similar.
    Its a lot to do about geography, and less to do with "the media" and/or "sh1te tds".

Kilkenny + Cork + Limerick are all on main routes, Waterford is off the beaten trail. Id imagine that has a huge impact.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

This thread has descended into absolute farce and just to add to it perhaps I should say that Kilkenny is off the main M8 Dublin to Cork motorway. It is off the main M9 Dublin to Waterford motorway, so how can it be considered to be "on a main route" to anywhere? This is a small country and the key is marketing at which Waterford fails spectacularly, having for years decided that the Waterford Glass brand was sufficient. But that's another story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

azimuth17 wrote: »
    This thread has descended into absolute farce and just to add to it perhaps I should say that Kilkenny is off the main M8 Dublin to Cork motorway. It is off the main M9 Dublin to Waterford motorway, so how can it be considered to be "on a main route" to anywhere? This is a small country and the key is marketing at which Waterford fails spectacularly, having for years decided that the Waterford Glass brand was sufficient. But that's another story

Why is it farce? Some heated opinions maybe but a thread asking why Waterford isn't mentioned in a lot of tourist plans is always going to come down to specific areas of Waterford and the perceptions around it. Its all still on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Why is it farce? Some heated opinions maybe but a thread asking why Waterford isn't mentioned in a lot of tourist plans is always going to come down to specific areas of Waterford and the perceptions around it. Its all still on topic.

But how relevant? Innocent people have been shot dead in Sheriff street in Dublin in recent times and yet Dublin tops Tripadvisors list of hot places to visit in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

bullpost wrote: »
    But how relevant? Innocent people have been shot dead in Sheriff street in Dublin in recent times and yet Dublin tops Tripadvisors list of hot places to visit in Ireland.

That's different because Dublin has a population of well over a million and has documented and well publicised crime gang problems. You might as well say Im not going to New York because they have a crime problem there. The issue with Waterford was whether or not it had a bit of a reputation following it and whether this reputation (rightly or wrongly) was affecting the list of areas that tourists frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Waterford's tourist office ever got round to mass marketing this is probably how it would look.

2SHUK.jpg

The sort of downer that might appeal to backpacking student types but nothing more.

Exactly. Problem is though some people dont seem to like any type of discussion on a dicussion based website.

See myself and yourself had a bit of a debate which is what this place is all about but some dont like that kind of thing so they give out about it. The funny thing is though they still read it and chirp in with stupid comments about mods intervening or that we should quit posting sh!t bla bla bla. Nonsense absolute nonsense.

no way am i readin 15 pages of people arguin wether johns park is better than ballybeg but here's my 2c on the matter. disclaimer: i emigrated 8 years ago. put yourself in a tourists shoes. for a lot of tourists it might be their only time visiting ireland. imagine you were going to japan, but you only had 2 weeks. where would you go? and then imagine you met a japanese person when you came back and they were from yamaguchi. of course, theyd be wondering why you didnt go out of your way to get a look at the place they grew up in, lovely forests and beaches, a half hour drive to the mountains, a hopping nightlife. sure it has it all!

reason 1: waterford does not have as much as you think. i saw a thread on reddit about 2 years ago by a tourist titled "whats with waterford?" they were wondering why everything was so quiet in the city center in the evenings. nobody visiting ireland from anywhere gives 2 ****es about the greenway or the viking triangle. as for the crystal, id say around 1/4 people, maybe less, react with "oh the crystal place?" when i tell them where im from. to the rest, i might as well be from yamaguchi.

reason 3: waterford, wether you like it or not, has developed a name for itself over the past 10 or so years. it's not the first place the tourist info centers in dublin will be recommending to the yank who has a few days to spare.

probably hard pills to swallow but it's the truth. all the negative stuff being said, ive recommended waterford to some people who were visiting ireland and wanted a different experience. hipster tourists if you will. some of the best dance acts in europe have played in waterford the past few years. the lineup at last years techno fest in tramore you honestly wouldnt see it in berlin. i considered flying home for it. if there's hope for waterford tourism in the future, i believe it will be this kind of stuff; "alternative tourism". legalize cannabis locally and see what happens :pac::pac::pac:

please restrain yourself from breaking my post apart and telling me how wrong i am, i have no intention of defending my opinions. this site has "gone to the dogs" years ago and this thread is a perfect example of the kinds of people who are left here. trolls trolling trolls. want to win the argument lads? get off the computer

<3

So you expect us to read your post but we arent allowed to break it apart???? Fair play.

A classic of the guest announcing through a tannoy 'that they are leaving and never wanted to be here anyway' style post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭blackwhite

noby wrote: »
    This.

When the Wild Atlantic Way was started I know a few people argued for the inclusion of Waterford, but it didn't happen.
    The WAW has been a roaring success, so then tourists were landing in Dublin, maybe spending a night there, then heading to the WAW.
    Ancient East was conceived as a way to get tourists to spend at least one night this side of the Shannon before going to the WAW.

So while Waterford was included in the IAE, it didn't really fit in with the original branding of it, imo.

On a more local level, with domestic tourists, it is an awful shame that the Greenway in to the city is still incomplete - it has been a real shot in the arm for Dungarvan, Kilmac etc.

WAW has been a success between Kerry and Galway.
    Between Westport and Ballyshannon the impact has been far less significant.

Much like the IAE initiative - it works very well to give a boost to already established tourist attractions, linking one with others - but on it's own isn't going to solve areas that are struggling to win over visitors on their own merits.

Honestly I'd just like to say how thrilled I am with the Greenway. Greenways across Ireland have come up against opposition in Kerry and Galway from both Farmers and even cyclists in Galway! Its great that we can really lead the way with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Honestly I'd just like to say how thrilled I am with the Greenway. Greenways across Ireland have come up against opposition in Kerry and Galway from both Farmers and even cyclists in Galway! Its great that we can really lead the way with this.

It's an amazing success story!

On my lunch this week and my two work colleagues (one guy from and living in Louth and one from South Dublin) are both heading down to do the Waterford Greenway in the next few months.

People are playing it down here, but the word is getting out there.

Expect a significant increase in numbers again this year.

And it starts in the City so it is relevant to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Not to derail the thread but massive kudos must go to the people who conceived, executed and facilitated the GW plans. I have been in the Glenbeigh area recently which is stunning. What is also stunning are the signs everywhere saying "Yes to Greenway; No to CPO". What the farmers are saying down there is they want a blank cheque to allow people cross what must be public space anyway (an old railway line).

They were on nationwide the other night talking about how there would be no sheep farmers in Kerry soon because of all the terror caused to the sheep by walkers. Seriously, I'd say one of those hill sheep would be worth about €50 but these lads were willing to ransom a huge tourist attraction over them. It being Kerry, they will probably get tens of thousands when the Healy Rae's get on the job. Then the Healy Rae's's will get the contract for the GW plant hire.

It's an amazing success story!

On my lunch this week and my two work colleagues (one guy from and living in Louth and one from South Dublin) are both heading down to do the Waterford Greenway in the next few months.

People are playing it down here, but the word is getting out there.

Expect a significant increase in numbers again this year.

And it starts in the City so it is relevant to this thread.

Agreed - I've had more conversations with people here in Dublin about Waterford in the past couple of years so since it opened than the previous 10 years. It will transform Waterford tourism over the next 5 years .

bullpost wrote: »
    Agreed - I've had more conversations with people here in Dublin about Waterford in the past couple of years so since it opened than the previous 10 years. It will transform Waterford tourism over the next 5 years .

For sure.

In the first year of the Mayo Greenway, there was 80,000 visitors. In the first year of the Waterford Greenway, there was 250,000 visitors.

People who have cycled both say there is no comparison. The Waterford Greenway is a more scenic route.

The City has to make sure it reaps the benefits of this. Extending the track down the quay would be one way of ensuring it does.

I know the figures for overseas visitors were posted here, but would love to see the figures for domestic visitors and how they compare to other towns/cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

It was such a nice day today i went up to Coumshingaun this morning stopped in the Coach House for sandwich on the way back,then brought the dog for a walk on the Greenway in the afternoon and out to Tramore then for a small walk on the beach.

Not many places i know of in Ireland where you can do all that within a 30 minutes drive from the city,Waterford has its faults like most places and a lot can be done to improve tourism but for locals like myself and many others there's nowhere else id like to live,best of luck to anyone who left but there's no place like home,hon Waterford :D

It was such a nice day today i went up to Coumshingaun this morning stopped in the Coach House for sandwich on the way back,then brought the dog for a walk on the Greenway in the afternoon and out to Tramore then for a small walk on the beach.

Not many places i know of in Ireland where you can do all that within a 30 minutes drive from the city,Waterford has its faults like most places and a lot can be done to improve tourism but for locals like myself and many others there's nowhere else id like to live,best of luck to anyone who left but there's no place like home,hon Waterford :D

You are making me jealous Mooseknunkle.

Dublin has its charm (and I can put up a good defence of the capital too) but I do pine for Waterford. However, I'm living where the jobs are (in my field and my partner's too). Jobs and the Waterford economy: a discussion for another thread!

Moose is living the dream! Sounds like a great day out.

• Advertisement

For sure.

In the first year of the Mayo Greenway, there was 80,000 visitors. In the first year of the Waterford Greenway, there was 250,000 visitors.

People who have cycled both say there is no comparison. The Waterford Greenway is a more scenic route.

The City has to make sure it reaps the benefits of this. Extending the track down the quay would be one way of ensuring it does.

I know the figures for overseas visitors were posted here, but would love to see the figures for domestic visitors and how they compare to other towns/cities.

Domestic figures were also posted earlier if you trawl back.

Advertisement