Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Waterford left out on a lot of tourist Itinaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Siberian Husky

no way am i readin 15 pages of people arguin wether johns park is better than ballybeg but here's my 2c on the matter. disclaimer: i emigrated 8 years ago. put yourself in a tourists shoes. for a lot of tourists it might be their only time visiting ireland. imagine you were going to japan, but you only had 2 weeks. where would you go? and then imagine you met a japanese person when you came back and they were from yamaguchi. of course, theyd be wondering why you didnt go out of your way to get a look at the place they grew up in, lovely forests and beaches, a half hour drive to the mountains, a hopping nightlife. sure it has it all!

reason 1: waterford does not have as much as you think. i saw a thread on reddit about 2 years ago by a tourist titled "whats with waterford?" they were wondering why everything was so quiet in the city center in the evenings. nobody visiting ireland from anywhere gives 2 ****es about the greenway or the viking triangle. as for the crystal, id say around 1/4 people, maybe less, react with "oh the crystal place?" when i tell them where im from. to the rest, i might as well be from yamaguchi.

reason 2: waterford is "out of the way" of the tourist route. from talking to people who have been to ireland or are planning on going, for most people dublin is the priority. then after that, the west coast. after that, kerry/cork. then after that, belfast/the north. most seem to want 3-4 days in each place. tell me with a straight face there's enough to entertain an international tourist in waterford for 4 days. some people will stop in kilkenny on their way from cork back to dublin or vice versa. that's the main route, and waterford is 2 trips on the same road to/from kilkenny to most.

reason 3: waterford, wether you like it or not, has developed a name for itself over the past 10 or so years. it's not the first place the tourist info centers in dublin will be recommending to the yank who has a few days to spare.

probably hard pills to swallow but it's the truth. all the negative stuff being said, ive recommended waterford to some people who were visiting ireland and wanted a different experience. hipster tourists if you will. some of the best dance acts in europe have played in waterford the past few years. the lineup at last years techno fest in tramore you honestly wouldnt see it in berlin. i considered flying home for it. if there's hope for waterford tourism in the future, i believe it will be this kind of stuff; "alternative tourism". legalize cannabis locally and see what happens :pac::pac::pac:

please restrain yourself from breaking my post apart and telling me how wrong i am, i have no intention of defending my opinions. this site has "gone to the dogs" years ago and this thread is a perfect example of the kinds of people who are left here. trolls trolling trolls. want to win the argument lads? get off the computer

<3
    Ever think of actually PROMOTING your home City instead of knocking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Ever think of actually PROMOTING your home City instead of knocking it?

Dead right. People wonder why Waterford is left out when half it's people are falling over one another to knock it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

On my lunch this week and my two work colleagues (one guy from and living in Louth and one from South Dublin) are both heading down to do the Waterford Greenway in the next few months.

Wow! Two guys over the next few months coming to visit..I hope the hotels can keep up ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dope. It's the fact people from two + hours away are willing to visit us to cycle a specific journey that's noteworthy.

Wow! Two guys over the next few months coming to visit..I hope the hotels can keep up ðŸ˜

Jesus boy, did someone from Waterford steal your chips or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

This is representative of my experience in Dublin as a whole over the past 12 months. I just happened on the day I was posting here and people were saying that no one had heard of the Greenway. This is blatantly not true.

If you're more of a quantitative man, I posted some Greenway stats too. You might have missed them...

Speaking of hotels, the Greenway Manor Hotel recently opened on the route and I hear business is flying!

I dunno if the Manor has changed hands over the years but for a long time it seemed to be moribund so they must have been pleased as the Greenway took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

This is representative of my experience in Dublin as a whole over the past 12 months. I just happened on the day I was posting here and people were saying that no one had heard of the Greenway. This is blatantly not true.

If you're more of a quantitative man, I posted some Greenway stats too. You might have missed them...

Speaking of hotels, the Greenway Manor Hotel recently opened on the route and I hear business is flying!

Exactly the same happened to me. Colleague mentioned that she was going on a hen to Dungarvan and would be doing the Greenway. Dropped into my office on Monday to give very positive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

hardybuck wrote: »
    Exactly the same happened to me. Colleague mentioned that she was going on a hen to Dungarvan and would be doing the Greenway. Dropped into my office on Monday to give very positive feedback.

Stop with all the positivity lads will ye, only negative ****ers allowed in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

hardybuck wrote: »

I don't really see how you can compare Dungarvan with Waterford City. This thread is in the City forum after all.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    I don't really see how you can compare Dungarvan with Waterford City. This thread is in the City forum after all.

What’s at the other end of the greenway again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm not. We're discussing Waterford tourism. This is part of a wider conversation about what visitors to Waterford are coming down for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

What’s at the other end of the greenway again?

The place you turn around and cycle back.

The place you turn around and cycle back.

Sure why would you do that when you could head into Geoffs, Tully’s, Downses or Walsh’s for a pint.

Or why not visit the Waterford Treasures museum, Bishop’s Palace, Christchurch Cathedral, House of Waterford Crystal or Reginald’s Tower?

Head into Emiliano’s, McLeary’s, La Boheme, L’Atmosphere or Burzza for a bite to eat and then top the day off with a walk along the beach in Tramore, Dunmore East or Woodstown.

Not to mention the Copper Coast, the Comeraghs, the Theatre Royal, Garter Lane, Waterford Castle etc.

I could go on but you get the picture. Don’t let your own misery cloud your judgment of our wonderful city.

Dope. It's the fact people from two + hours away are willing to visit us to cycle a specific journey that's noteworthy.

Noteworthy is pushing it a bit.

Noteworthy is pushing it a bit.

I know you're a WUM/Troll but:

1. You dont even know what a greenway is so you haven't even been on the Waterford one.
    2. 81% of people on TripAdvisor have given it 5/5

Combine 1+2 above and means you are full of ****e

Deiseen wrote:
    1. You dont even know what a greenway is so you haven't even been on the Waterford one. 2. 81% of people on TripAdvisor have given it 5/5

Deiseen wrote:
    I know you're a WUM/Troll but:

Deiseen wrote:
    Combine 1+2 above and means you are full of ****e

Sorry but are you incapable of articulating properly without spouting personal attacks.

I know full well what a greenway is,we have one pretty much the length of the royal canal...people don't visit another county just to cycle a greenway unless they're passing through from somewhere more interesting and already have bikes with them.

Of course I've heard of greenway I just havnt heard anything about the one in Waterford as I'm sure 99% of the population hasn't heard about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I just havnt heard anything about the one in Waterford as I'm sure 99% of the population hasn't heard about it either.

Just put down the shovel dopey.

Sorry,I'm in Dublin and I never heard of it.

Isn't a greenway just a path?

You seem to have figured out what a greenway is since your last post anyway.

The "path" is full of people from all over Ireland as has been stated by people here and backed up by tourist numbers.

If you flick through TripAdvisor for 10 seconds you will see reviews of people from Cork, Limerick, Wexford, Dublin, KK and Sydney.

It's not the kind of thing you can appreciate for a 30 min visit so it has to be planned in. This makes it quiet obvious that its a big reason for people's visits.

Deiseen wrote: »
    You seem to have figured out what a greenway is since your last post anyway.

The "path" is full of people from all over Ireland as has been stated by people here and backed up by tourist numbers.

If you flick through TripAdvisor for 10 seconds you will see reviews of people from Cork, Limerick, Wexford, Dublin, KK and Sydney.

It's not the kind of thing you can appreciate for a 30 min visit so it has to be planned in. This makes it quiet obvious that its a big reason for people's visits.

Love it. Sydney being mentioned in the same breath as kilkenny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Why is anyone engaging with this pathetic troll?

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Why is anyone engaging with this pathetic troll?

I really don't know..he can't be serious about this greenway being an international attraction yet he seems to be!

Get a job, if you have a job get one that keeps you busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I really don't know..he can't be serious about this greenway being an international attraction yet he seems to be!

I'll tell you a good one,a captain for Cathay Pacific heard about the Greenway in Singapore!,and the next time he was scheduled to fly to the Dublin from Hong kong he rented a car in the airport and drove to Carriganore rented a bike and cycled to Dungarvan and back!,imagine that and thats just one story,go onto any of the Greenway social media pages and you see people from all over Ireland and the world enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Compared to Cork or Kerry Waterford doesn't really have a whole lot going for it TBH. I am not saying it has nothing and it has a few attractions it's just not as interesting. If you are that close to Cork or Kerry then why bother with Waterford.

Funnily enough I started this thread a few years back. Now I haven't been back since so it might be the greatest place in the world now.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85762890

Jump to post #9 for my impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Funnily enough I started this thread a few years back. Now I haven't been back since so it might be the greatest place in the world now.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85762890

Jump to post #9 for my impression.

In fairness thats six years ago - Waterford really only getting going in the tourist game in the last few years imo. Theres lots of good things there but work needed on how to promote them internationally and nationally.

bullpost wrote: »
    In fairness thats six years ago - Waterford really only getting going in the tourist game in the last few years imo. Theres lots of good things there but work needed on how to promote them internationally and nationally.

I come back to Ireland 2-3 times a year and looking in from abroad what is really promoted is the 'Wild Atlantic Way' or else Galway and Dublin or even Belfast and the Titanic. Superficially your attention is drawn away from Waterford.

It seems that Waterford falls between two bar stools.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Although i haven't read the entire thread i'll throw in my two cents as someone who used to live in Waterford and is still there regularly enough. This also relates mostly to international tourists rather than domestic which is what any city really wants to attract anyway

1) Outside of Waterford Crystal and the few bits in the surrounding area there is absolutely nothing to do or see in Waterford City and there are no tours available that i'm aware of to things in the general area. If you want people to come they need things they can do and see, and as it stands i could do that in 6 hours. IMO his really makes it a place for a day trip only, it's also kind of out on its own but unlike Galway which also is, Waterford is not a good place to base your self for a holiday because of the lack of tours, whilst Cork, Dublin and Belfast have enough activities to be standalone destinations.

2) As someone else already stated there are no good hotels in the city centre area, comparatively they are average at best to whats available elsewhere. Several of the hotels are also on the Quay in that general area, and to be frank at night that area is an absolute kip. In fact entire city is relatively run down and unappealing when you compare it to other cities especially Galway. Theres nothing stopping people in Waterford painting their buildings to brighten up the place, and its certainly not the Governments job to do so

3) Lack of night time entertainment. Go to Dublin, Cork or Galway and the restaurants and night life have a huge variety of offerings that waterford just doesn't match up to.

4) Retail. Ireland is an expensive country to visit and people who come here generally have money to spend. The retail offering in Waterford is without doubt the worst of any city in Ireland by far. When i lived in Waterford i rarely bought anything in town and instead went to Cork or Dublin because the retail offering was so much better.

• Advertisement

I'll tell you a good one,a captain for Cathay Pacific heard about the Greenway in Singapore!,and the next time he was scheduled to fly to the Dublin from Hong kong he rented a car in the airport and drove to Carriganore rented a bike and cycled to Dungarvan and back!,imagine that and thats just one story,go onto any of the Greenway social media pages and you see people from all over Ireland and the world enjoying it.

You're right..it's a good one.

If the entire planeload from Hong Kong were going to undertake this unlikely journey it might have some benefit..but a captain (if he exists) is still just one person.

Advertisement