Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a credit card limit increase request result in a decrease?

• 19-03-2019 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

Bit of a weird one, I'm going on holiday this summer and have had a credit card for years with a bank with a limit of 3000, I want to increase this limit as I'll be hiring a car when away and will be moving around different US cities. A lot of the hotels will place a block on the card for x amount as a deposit and then refund after I've left. These blocks can take a few days to expire off the card so I'm a bit worried that my limit will be eaten up by a number of hotel deposits & car hire in a short period, with this in mind I want to up my limit to 5K to give me a bit of wriggle room.

Since taking out the credit card years ago I've got a mortgage on a house with a different bank and have moved my main banking to this bank (i.e. savings & current account). I attempted to take out a new credit card with a limit of 5K with this bank but was rejected presumably because they felt my remaining mortgage + 3k limit on existing card + potential new 5k limit on new card with them was too high which is fair enough. My question is if I go back to my existing card supplier with a request to increase my limit by 2K is it possible/likely for them to decide that my current credit limit is too high and reduce it?

I've never had any missed payments on the cc or debt on it for context.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

I’m sure different providers have different rules but typically a credit application would be assessed based on what you look for. Ie they will only approve or decline the limit increase, they won’t assess whether the current exposure is still ok particularly as you say you have a good history with them so there will be no red flags. Even if they did wish to reduce the limit it would have to fall within their own terms and conditions which usually have a review period stated and the odds of that being the same timeframe as your request would be slim to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could lodge money tot he card before you travel. However, check if this money is protected by whatever card insurance, etc. you have - it might not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

Ensure you have the credit card set up as a payee on your current account and make payments to it while you are on holiday

Advertisement