Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood *spoilers from post 356*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

From initial observation of the costumes of Pitt and DiCaprio they seem anachronistically inaccurate. More like a 1969 version of Starsky and Hutch. S & H were not even accurate in their own time, by all accounts. A parody of a parody; perhaps?
    Starsky and Hutch and Charles Manson. Now thats a thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Showing in good old film at the Lighthouse :) Here’s hoping for a 70mm screening at the IFI somewhere along the line.

https://twitter.com/lighthoused7/status/1155791187841884160?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Dunno if its me or if theres been a bit of a dip in really good films the last couple of years, but Once upon a time in Hollywood is the first movie in a long time where Im ridiculously excited to see it. Reviews seem to be good though and by all accounts its a return to form for Tarantino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

Showing in good old film at the Lighthouse :) Here’s hoping for a 70mm screening at the IFI somewhere along the line.

For now, the IFI have it on 35mm too:

https://twitter.com/IFI_Dub/status/1156134048617701376

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Looking forward to it, big QT fan but for some strange reason I have yet to watch Hateful 8. It's there on Netflix, ready to go, and I started it one evening but lasted about 5 minutes.

I wasn't big into Django either, I guess I just don't like "westerns". Inglourious Basterds is the real benchmark for me, a movie I can (and will) watch countless times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Looking forward to it, big QT fan but for some strange reason I have yet to watch Hateful 8. It's there on Netflix, ready to go, and I started it one evening but lasted about 5 minutes.

I wasn't big into Django either, I guess I just don't like "westerns". Inglourious Basterds is the real benchmark for me, a movie I can (and will) watch countless times.

Don't do it to yourself would be my advice. Both desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Don't do it to yourself would be my advice. Both desperate.

I disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Double disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Haven't seen Hateful 8 but Django Unchained is absolutely brilliant and in his top3 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭El Duda

And I prefer Hateful 8 to Django by a huge margin.

In conclusion: Don't listen to other peoples opinions when it comes to QT. The responses to his films have always been polarising, which is a sign of a really good director imo.

Watch them all for yourself and make up your own mind. There is no general concencus when it comes to his stuff. Everyones top 10 is different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hateful Eight was my favourite Tarantino since the first three. Caught it twice in the cinema, which is rare (albeit primarily because there was a 70mm print knocking around). There was something engrossing about it - snuggling in for this epically intimate film set in one location. The long periods of tension and dialogue annoyed me in Django and Inglorious, but completely hit the mark in Hateful Eight. Lovely piece of indulgent, atmospheric genre cinema.

That’s an aside though :) Very much looking forward to this considering it has so many critics who were largely indifferent to his recent work on board.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm cautiously curious about this - I still think Reservoir Dogs is the best film he's made, but since Sally Menke's death he seems to have gotten more and more precious and self-indulgent. I could forgive it with Inglorious Basterds in that that felt like an inelegant marrying of two different films; Death Proof was pure arsegravy as far as I'm concerned (made even more noticeable by being paired up with Planet Terror) and Django, while having excellent performances (well, except from Foxx who I find limited and frankly pretty dull most of the time), bored the arse off me, particularly after Waltz's character is no longer around. At least an hour longer than it needed to be.

At that point I bailed on seeing his films in the cinema. Still haven't seen Hateful 8 because I struggle to work up the motivation to wade through nearly 3 hours of what may well turn out to be hyper-Flanders'd Tarantino dialogue.

The positive reception to this is interesting, but being that it's a Hollywood director making a celebratory film about Hollywood's heyday, I'm also a bit suspicious...

i'm all in , to me he makes films he wants to make with no studio pressure , some are better than others but all are very watchable and great fun . pulp fiction is a masterpiece , reservoir dogs just behind . and i pretty much love all the others including death proof and the hateful 8 which get a lot of stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

peteeeed wrote: »
    i'm all in , to me he makes films he wants to make with no studio pressure , some are better than others but all are very watchable and great fun.

One of the best directors around. Even your best friends have something annoying about them, and so with Tarantino's idiosyncrasies. My policy is ignore everything and go and see his latest, with fingers crossed; the likelihood is it's gonna be great. It's worth the risk it's not a classic, but not worth the risk of missing it in the cinema; his films are made for the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Hateful Eight was my favourite Tarantino since the first three. Caught it twice in the cinema, which is rare (albeit primarily because there was a 70mm print knocking around). There was something engrossing about it - snuggling in for this epically intimate film set in one location. The long periods of tension and dialogue annoyed me in Django and Inglorious, but completely hit the mark in Hateful Eight. Lovely piece of indulgent, atmospheric genre cinema.

That’s an aside though :) Very much looking forward to this considering it has so many critics who were largely indifferent to his recent work on board.

Definitely felt like it was one of his more mature films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Ye I'm firmly in the corner of a new Tarantino movie has to be seen in the cinema. Even where the last three haven't been his best, they are still essential.

For me, I probably think Inglorious might be the worst 'film', but it still contains two of the best scenes in recent memory (first scene and bar scene).

SK1979 wrote: »
    Ye I'm firmly in the corner of a new Tarantino movie has to be seen in the cinema. Even where the last three haven't been his best, they are still essential.

For me, I probably think Inglorious might be the worst 'film', but it still contains two of the best scenes in recent memory (first scene and bar scene).

it reminds me of going to see 'inglorious basturds' opening night in a packed cinema during 'the bar scene' a phone rings and a girl answers ' oh yeah so anyway i wanted to talk to you about saturday , what are your plans' bla bla bla and went to have a 30 second conversation' before a girl in front of her screamed 'SHUT THE FVCK UP'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Screening of this tonight in Omniplex, any particular reason not to go and watch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Screening of this tonight in Omniplex, any particular reason not to go and watch it?

Is it a 35mm screening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just went to book tickets and now it's not showing as available, irritating.

Booked in for a 35mm showing at Odeon Leicester Square. Very excited.

its streaming on mubi in the states from the 15th which probably means it will be all over the net to pirate , i've never not see a tarantino movie in the cinema and i'll definitely be going to see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The trailers looked a bit fun but I haven't REALLY enjoyed a Tarantino movie in a good while. I kind of enjoyed Inglorious Basterds as a bit of a goof but the last one I thought was a properly good movie was Jackie Brown.

I loved Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Saw them both in the cinema when they came out. They were exciting and fun. The dialogue was sharp. In the case of Pulp fiction the action and overall construction of the movie was, again, pretty fun and exciting and interesting. You even forget that Travolta dies 1/2 through the movie as he walks out of the diner at the end. (Hey, I'm not a film reviewer so forgive my repeated use of "Fun" and "Exciting" :) ).

Then he made Jackie Brown and I just loved that. I loved the focus on Pam Greer (Fantastic performance) and Robert Foster and Michael Keaton's characters. I loved how different they were from Tarantino's characters in Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Thought to myself: "This is a departure, but I like it."

But then he reverted to his original dialogue style which, over time, began to grate. I understand, he has a style but if he sticks too rigidly then it becomes stale, boring and repetitive (It's what has put me off Wes Anderson's last movie Isle of Dogs. Haven't bothered seeing it yet).

So this looks more of the same. Which is a pity because I'd live to see how Pitt and DiCaprio work together. Maybe start of a cool new pairing for some Scorsese or HBO/Netflix series stuff. Of course the trailers are going to make it look like every other Tarantino trailer no matter what the film is like: Funky retro soundtrack, brightly-coloured writing and freeze frames followed by quippy last line.

So, tldr: Looks more of the same. Tarantino has the skill to branch out but won't because of the relative under-performance of Jackie Brown.

How would you rank the movies?

For me (my favourites rather than "best"):

1. Inglourious Basterds
    2. Kill Bill part 2
    3. Deathproof
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Pulp Fiction
    6. Kill Bill part 1
    7. Reservior Dogs
    8. Django Unchained

Haven't seen Hateful 8.

Now, I'm not saying Deathproof is better than Reservoir Dogs. That'd be crazy. But in terms of movies I go back to more often, I get more out of my top few than I do from others.

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Jackie Brown
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Hateful 8
    5. Deathproof
    6. Inglorious
    7. Kill Bill
    8. Kill Bill 2
    9. Django

Inglorious was fantastic in the cinema but suffers massively on a rewatch. Django was a bit of a mess imo.

El Duda wrote: »
    1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Jackie Brown
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Hateful 8
    5. Deathproof
    6. Inglorious
    7. Kill Bill
    8. Kill Bill 2
    9. Django

Inglorious was fantastic in the cinema but suffers massively on a rewatch. Django was a bit of a mess imo.

Weird, as I've found IB to be so rewarding on repeated viewing. I watched it not long ago and I would happily watch it again tonight. I can't say the same for RD or Django.

Each to their own I guess!

peteeeed wrote: »
    its streaming on mubi in the states from the 15th

Hadn’t heard this, do you have a link as can’t see it mentioned anywhere else? Would be quite a coup for Mubi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

El Duda wrote: »
    1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Jackie Brown
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Hateful 8
    5. Deathproof
    6. Inglorious
    7. Kill Bill
    8. Kill Bill 2
    9. Django

Same, cept I'd swap 4 for 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭santana75

Django was playing in the light house last night as part of a Tarantino season. I'd never seen it on the big screen so decided to pop along and check it out........what a film. Loved every second of it, cinema was full aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Pulp Fiction
    Reservoir Dogs
    Kill Bill part 2
    Kill Bill part 1
    From dusk till dawn
    Django Unchained
    Inglorious basterds
    Deathproof
    The hateful eight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

All the posts on here seem to be about Tarantino back catalogue instead of his new film which is the title of the thread.
    I know it’s not out till Wednesday but has anyone seen it yet?? Anyone seen any reviews in the Irish media?? I See it’s been getting very good reviews in America. Do you think it will win oscars?? Surely Quentin is due a best director win?? Could Leo win another best actor?? Or Pitt win for best supporting?? Or Robbie win a best supporting?? Maybe it will even win best film?? Some reviews are saying it’s a masterpiece.

That’s the ad on instagram

516742D9-ABE7-4149-BA67-9410F9C81BA1.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I find Tarantino very hit and miss. I don't expect much from OUTH, although I like the setting. I just think Tarantino spends a lot of time trying to make things look cool - that might have appealed more to my teenage self but I find it a little shallow. Not sure how to explain what I mean when he tries to make things look cool. Maybe it's style over substance. Put some retro classic music over some slow-motion guy walking towards the camera wearing sunglasses

Death Proof was awful imo and couldn't get in to Kill Bill films - Not saying the Kill Bill films are bad, just not my cup of tea.

Jackie Brown and True Romance for me are the best Tarantino films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

True Romance was directed by Tony Scott, although Tarantino co wrote the screenplay I think.

Jackie Brown is his best film imo.

Pulp Fiction is great as well, very entertaining and hugely re-watchable. Reservoir Dogs is another classic and such a refreshing style of film at the time.

I enjoyed the Kill Bill films for what they were. Inglorious and Django are on the weaker side.

I really enjoyed The Hateful 8, especially the first half, which was beautifully shot. It did lose the run of itself a little in the second half.

Maybe it's style over substance. Put some retro classic music over some slow-motion guy walking towards the camera wearing sunglasses

If you think that's all QT movies are, I think you're missing something.

adox wrote: »
    True Romance was directed by Tony Scott, although Tarantino co wrote the screenplay I think.

Pulp Fiction is great as well, very entertaining and hugely re-watchable. Reservoir Dogs is another classic and such a refreshing style of film at the time.

I enjoyed the Kill Bill films for what they were. Inglorious and Django are on the weaker side.

I really enjoyed The Hateful 8, especially the first half, which was beautifully shot. It did lose the run of itself a little in the second half.

You are right! It's directed by Tony Scott (RIP), Ridley's brother. Director/writer, I still call it a Tarantino film as story/script is most important imo.

Roger Avery collaborated with QT on it. They also did Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs together. Would love someone to dissect how much input Avery had and how collaborative their work together was. I find it fascinating writing duo's and finding out who influenced what.

I mean post-Avery and in the 00's Tarantino films go a bit more surreal and OTT. I think that's why I find films like Jackie Brown a bit more entertaining. They're bit more grounded in reality

I shamefully haven't watched Hateful 8 yet but will as it's on Netflix.

Absolutely not. I'm just trying give a simple generalisation of what it is that bugs me about some and maybe large aspect of his work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Cant wait to see this film, QT is one of the 5 most talented people in hollywood and nobody writes better dialogue than him. I'll definitely be watching this in the cimema as QT offers a unique type of film.

Pulp fiction is easily his best film to date. I would put Kill Bill vol 1 in second, I’ve watched over 400 martial arts films and the films final fight is far superior to any other martial arts scene. Volume 2 was very good but the ending was a bit flat compared to how Vol 1 ended

Django Unchained was fantastic and I thought the hateful 8 was terrible. DeathProof was a bit meh but enjoyed Jackie Brown, Reservior Dogs and Inglorious basterds. I like thinking of True Romance as a Tarrantino film as it felt like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I absolutely love The Hateful Eight. Probably his most polarising film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bnt wrote: »
    It's a real Hollywood nepotism affair too, with at least four famous daughters: Margaret Qualley (Andie MacDowell's daughter), Maya Hawke (daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke), Harley Quinn Smith (daughter of Kevin Smith), and Rumer Willis (daughter of Bruce). Quentin's wife Daniella Pick is there, and if their kids aren't involved, it's because they don't have any. I'm surprised he doesn't have at least a cameo himself. :p

Is all good again between Quentin and Uma that her kid is in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is all good again between Quentin and Uma that her kid is in this?

i don;t think there was one, she said he nearly killed her a few times but i never detected any issues

adox wrote: »

jackie brown is on my list...it came out while i was still high on Pulp fiction, resevoir dogs and true romance and natural born killers so i didn't really get it properly then.

All the posts on here seem to be about Tarantino back catalogue instead of his new film which is the title of the thread.
    I know it’s not out till Wednesday but has anyone seen it yet?? Anyone seen any reviews in the Irish media?? I See it’s been getting very good reviews in America. Do you think it will win oscars?? Surely Quentin is due a best director win?? Could Leo win another best actor?? Or Pitt win for best supporting?? Or Robbie win a best supporting?? Maybe it will even win best film?? Some reviews are saying it’s a masterpiece.

for every great review there's one by an angry woman asking us do we need QT anymore!

i don;t think there was one, she said he nearly killed her a few times but i never detected any issues

I thought they had some issues over Harvey Weinstein

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Greyfox wrote: »
    Cant wait to see this film, QT is one of the 5 most talented people in hollywood and nobody writes better dialogue than him. I'll definitely be watching this in the cimema as QT offers a unique type of film.

Pulp fiction is easily his best film to date. I would put Kill Bill vol 1 in second, I’ve watched over 400 martial arts films and the films final fight is far superior to any other martial arts scene. Volume 2 was very good but the ending was a bit flat compared to how Vol 1 ended

Django Unchained was fantastic and I thought the hateful 8 was terrible. DeathProof was a bit meh but enjoyed Jackie Brown, Reservior Dogs and Inglorious basterds. I like thinking of True Romance as a Tarrantino film as it felt like one.

Disagree on that one. I enjoyed The Hateful Eight more than Django.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought they had some issues over Harvey Weinstein

as far as i know it was just the attempted murder

as far as i know it was just the attempted murder

only that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

I actually think that's all QT films are; trying to find clever new ways to be hip and edgy, without any real depth at all. I thought, even watching it at the time, that Pulp Fiction wouldn't date well, and I don't think it has. Just a lot of guys and gals acting cool and spouting largely meaningless jargon.

MfMan wrote: »
    I actually think that's all QT films are; trying to find clever new ways to be hip and edgy, without any real depth at all.

That's kind of what I trying to convey on the previous page. Maybe not to that extreme but it's something about his work that stops me from taking him too seriously and rating him too highly.

QT for me is escapism to a parallel universe ....

Pulp fiction when i saw it in the cinema at 17 was the greatest movie of all time and it will never date with me because of the impact it had on me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement