Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I certainly wouldn't write galway off
    They lost last year's final by a solitary point despite only hurling for ten minutes. You take canning, daithi burke, Johnny glynn, Cooneys, Jason Flynn, conor Whelan, serious operators. Galway easily beat kk last year in thurles, a pitch will suit them like nowlan park. They have better forwards then kk backs and I expect them to win this game next Sunday. Kilkenny are still missing Buckley, Murphy and a few others. In fact I think kk will struggle with their two remaining games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

cson wrote: »
    Dublin is the game I'd be most worried about as a Galway supporter. Mattie knows every one of those players because he'd have coached most of them to underage success at minor.

Are you getting confused with Mattie Murphy?

Mattie Kenny was a selector under Cunningham at senior for a year or two, and under 21 but would have never been involved with the likes of Daithi, Hanbury, Loftus, the Mannions, hussey, Whelan, Jason flynn and concannon who will probably all feature at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I genuinely don't see the apparent hype around Kilkenny. Not as clear cut quarter-finalists as been made out. They will be up against with Galway next week, and should they lose that, will be going to Wexford Park needing to win against a Wexford side that Davy surely has primed to take a scalp.

And as the championship has panned out so far, I think it'll be Tipp, Limerick and two Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I genuinely don't see the apparent hype around Kilkenny. Not as clear cut quarter-finalists as been made out. They will be up against with Galway next week, and should they lose that, will be going to Wexford Park needing to win against a Wexford side that Davy surely has primed to take a scalp.

And as the championship has panned out so far, I think it'll be Tipp, Limerick and two Leinster.

In the semi final? Cork will be in the final four I think as well as Tipp. After that hard to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know about Cork either. All the hype yet when push comes to shove they can't get over the line. Equally as likely to hit 0-20 one day and hit twenty wides the next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd be licking my lips if I was facing this Galway side without Canning. The intensity of 2017 hasn't shown itself this calendar year, there's the same long-standing lack of goal threat when Glynn isn't starting, puckout tactics not improved on last year where we were punished and finally just too many lads out of form that won't be dropped.

Could easily see a situation where Canning could be rushed back ahead of his expected return if we lose on Sunday, which I'd have to say is likely going on 2019 form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I don't know about Cork either. All the hype yet when push comes to shove they can't get over the line. Equally as likely to hit 0-20 one day and hit twenty wides the next.

Scoring isn’t the problem but not conceding too much. I think they are better in defence this year despite the Tipp result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

C__MC wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't write galway off
    They lost last year's final by a solitary point despite only hurling for ten minutes. You take canning, daithi burke, Johnny glynn, Cooneys, Jason Flynn, conor Whelan, serious operators. Galway easily beat kk last year in thurles, a pitch will suit them like nowlan park. They have better forwards then kk backs and I expect them to win this game next Sunday. Kilkenny are still missing Buckley, Murphy and a few others. In fact I think kk will struggle with their two remaining games
    I'd be licking my lips if I was facing this Galway side without Canning. The intensity of 2017 hasn't shown itself this calendar year, there's the same long-standing lack of goal threat when Glynn isn't starting, puckout tactics not improved on last year where we were punished and finally just too many lads out of form that won't be dropped.

Could easily see a situation where Canning could be rushed back ahead of his expected return if we lose on Sunday, which I'd have to say is likely going on 2019 form.
    Don't really see there being hype about either team much tbh. Only team being hyped at the moment is Tipp. Both Galway and Kilkenny will be looking at Sunday with a point to prove. Galway haven't come anywhere near their 2017 form for a while now, and none of their forwards looked sharp vs Wexford bar maybe Whelan. Kilkenny are obviously weaker than previous years but they have TJ Reid, who I would have on par with Joe Canning. I'd expect it to very close on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

no what i meant is its more important to win an all ireland by any means necessary and put yourself in the mix as much as possible then a league or a munster , who do think had the better year last year limerick or cork

That's not your original point. You said that youd take being competitive at the later stages of the Championship over Mjnster silverware . You've moved the goalposts now.
    Of course Limerick were happier than Cork but your original point and I'm not wrong in my interpretation because you made it clear,(I wont go back and get your quotes) your original point was youd be happier getting to all Ireland semis and finals but not winning anything.. over actually winning Munster .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What hype would that be, must have missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hype about Kilkenny? Seriously? What are you smoking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Kilkenny and Galway will tell a lot as someone said above.

The games involving Wexford have been strange. Dublin and Galway seemed to have been able to turn winning positions into losing ones, and were fortunate, especially in Dublin's case, to have survived.

Wexford deserve credit for retrieving situations that seemed to have slipped beyond them, but otherwise not convincing. Except when they cut loose and gave it a lash having nothing to lose.

Only Kilkenny have done what they needed to do efficiently. That may of course change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Long way to go yet. Comments about it being between Cork and Tipp are laughable. There are at least 5 teams that could win it out as with last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

But the season is suiting Kilkenny. They can get to an All Ireland semi final without meeting a Munster team. They are playing the worst Galway team (on form) in about five years minus their best player. Then they have to play Wexford, and I'm sure "Davy" had them primed to take scalps off Dublin and Galway and they managed neither. Easy to say it, not so easy to do it. And Kilkenny people are constantly pointing out the stream of players on the way back. They look set to be fully peaking around August, hence the hype. It's not that they are brilliant but the whole season is set up for them. So much so that they could lose to Galway and Wexford, if Galway beat Dublin, and still qualify because of the Dublin-Wexford draw. Contrast that with the amount of hurling Limerick and Cork will have done in Munster by the time they get to the Munster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Outside of tipp i dont see how anyone can say the season is suiting any of the other teams. Only after next weekend will we know.
    If Galway lose next week they're under pressure against Dublin. Can easily be knocked out of Leinster.
    If Kilkenny lose next weekend they're under serious pressure against Wexford. Can also easily be knocked out of Leinster.
    If Limerick lose next weekend we're out. Assuming cork beat Waterford on Saturday.
    If Clare lose next weekend they need tipp to do them a favour and also need to beat Cork, on their 3rd match in 14 days after a 2 game losing streak. Everyone is under pressure now.

I could not have any confidence in any of those teams yet as all have shown serious weaknesses so far. Kilkenny to a lesser extent bar league performances being so poor.

Outside of tipp i dont see how anyone can say the season is suiting any of the other teams. Only after next weekend will we know.
    If Galway lose next week they're under pressure against Dublin. Can easily be knocked out of Leinster.
    If Kilkenny lose next weekend they're under serious pressure against Wexford. Can also easily be knocked out of Leinster.
    If Limerick lose next weekend we're out. Assuming cork beat Waterford on Saturday.
    If Clare lose next weekend they need tipp to do them a favour and also need to beat Cork, on their 3rd match in 14 days after a 2 game losing streak. Everyone is under pressure now.

I could not have any confidence in any of those teams yet as all have shown serious weaknesses so far. Kilkenny to a lesser extent bar league performances being so poor.

Have no idea why you would say the season is "suiting" Tipperary. Yes, they have won three games but the real sign of a season suiting you is when you can play yourself into the season and not have to be at top pitch. That's why the season is made for Kilkenny. Galway are as poor as they've been for a few years, Wexford are middling enough, and Kilkenny might not have to beat either of them to progress. In reality they should beat both but they don't have to which is the whole point of the season suiting them. By the time Tipperary reach Croke Park they'll have their best hurling done. By the time Kilkenny get there they'll just be getting their full team on the pitch for a fresh start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Powerhouse wrote: »
    But the season is suiting Kilkenny. They can get to an All Ireland semi final meeting a Munster team. They are playing the worst Galway team (on form) in about five years minus their best player. Then they have to play Wexford, and I'm sure "Davy" had them primed to take scalps off Dublin and Galway and they managed neither. Easy to say it, not so easy to do it. And Kilkenny people are constantly pointing out the stream of players on the way back. They look set to be fully peaking around August, hence the hype. It's not that they are brilliant but the whole season is set up for them. So much so that they could lose to Galway and Wexford, if Galway beat Dublin, and still qualify because of the Dublin-Wexford draw. Contrast that with the amount of hurling Limerick and Cork will have done in Munster by the time they get to the Munster Final.

By "Kilkenny people are constantly pointing out" here, you really mean two or three posters on the Kilkenny thread who have, when discussing their team, gone through the list of injured players and given opinions on their return don't you?

slegs wrote: »
    Long way to go yet. Comments about it being between Cork and Tipp are laughable. There are at least 5 teams that could win it out as with last year.

The winner will come from Kilkenny, Cork or Limerick. Tipperary might not win another game for the rest of the year, Galway have seen their best days. I just cannot think of a realistic contender other than these even though you mention that there are at least five.

By "Kilkenny people are constantly pointing out" here, you really mean two or three posters on the Kilkenny thread who have, when discussing their team, gone through the list of injured players and given opinions on their return don't you?

Not at all. I'm on the streets of Kilkenny taking vox pops every day. (You wouldn't be implying that the charming denizens of the Kilkenny thread are less than reliable sources would you?!)

Oh...……..and this is from the Kilkenny People this week re. club matches recently. Only good news it seems:

The big return was that of Kilkenny captain of last season, Cillian Buckley. He played his first match since last September when helping Dicksboro against Danesfort.
    He has been troubled by a knee injury for months. He did well, but he will need time to get back up to the speed of the inter-county game.
    Richie Hogan, who has been trouble by a back injury for ages, got through the full game with Danesfort. Again, he did well.
    There was a surprise return for ankle injury victim James Maher with St Lachtain’s. He wasn’t expected back for weeks, but he played half a game and looked good, if short on fitness.
    There was good news too concerning Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own). He didn’t see any on field action, but he has resumed running after a leg injury.
    He is weeks ahead on the recovery schedule, apparently. He has a way to go, but to be where is now is a big plus for player and county.
    Walter Walsh (hamstring) and Alan Murphy (ankle) didn’t finish the most recent Leinster game against Carlow, but both saw action with their club and they got through it fine.
    News surrounding Joey Holden (hamstring) is good too. He didn’t play for Ballyhale Shamrocks against James Stephens last week, but that was more precautionary than anything else. He is ready to go.
    All-Star goalie, Eoin Murphy, has cast his crutches aside and is doing well as he works his way back from a broken bone in his leg. Again his recovery is ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Since 2005, only Tipp in 2016 have gone on to win the All Ireland after winning Munster. I know that was during the period of Kilkenny's dominance, but only two teams (Tipp x 2, Cork x 1) made the final after winning Munster in that period also. Other teams made the final after being knocked out early on

So as impressive as Tipp have been so far, definitely the form team in Munster, its not necessarily an indicator of where they'll be later in the year. Similarly, a team going quietly about their business, like Kilkenny, are not necessarily going to hit top form at the business end of the championship. There are still 5 teams with a realistic chance, 3 teams that qualify from Munster (likely to be Cork, Tipp, Lim) and both Galway and Kilkenny. Long summer ahead yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Since 2005, only Tipp in 2016 have gone on to win the All Ireland after winning Munster. I know that was during the period of Kilkenny's dominance, but only two teams (Tipp x 2, Cork x 1) made the final after winning Munster in that period also. Other teams made the final after being knocked out early on

So as impressive as Tipp have been so far, definitely the form team in Munster, its not necessarily an indicator of where they'll be later in the year. Similarly, a team going quietly about their business, like Kilkenny, are not necessarily going to hit top form at the business end of the championship. There are still 5 teams with a realistic chance, 3 teams that qualify from Munster (likely to be Cork, Tipp, Lim) and both Galway and Kilkenny. Long summer ahead yet

Reckon you'll certainly see a lost more Munster champions in the final as long as this format exists. Before you could play 2 games in close to 5 months (as Waterford would have had they won through Munster in 2017) and be in an all Ireland semi final. Think a lot of teams were caught cold by that but this system is a more level playing field to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

i think if you talk to supporters of cork clare or limerick they would probably tell you that the importance of winning munster is not as important as just getting out of the group , i dont think anyone in clare would care if it was another 21 years before we win a munster as long as we are in the mix at the latter half of the season

I'd agree. The provincial finals have been largely worthless since the back door came in as it no longer means that you are the best team in the province for that year.
    Nobody cares who won Munster last year, and even less, who won Leinster.
    I'd like to see them abolished or at least separated from the All-Ireland series and an open draw made for the 2 groups.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I'd agree. The provincial finals have been largely worthless since the back door came in as it no longer means that you are the best team in the province for that year.
    Nobody cares who won Munster last year, and even less, who won Leinster.
    I'd like to see them abolished or at least separated from the All-Ireland series and an open draw made for the 2 groups.

I never quite get the (often proposed) argument to abolish the provincial championships but then turn around and create two groups. In other words provide virtually the same championship format with just different teams in the two groups.

At least with the provincials people have some chance of not having to travel really insane distances e.g. Clare to Wexford, Cork to Dublin, Waterford to Galway etc. And there is (even if it is absolutely hated by some people) the element of tradition and rivalry associated with the provincial championships. Limerick v Clare, or Tipperary will create far more interest in Limerick than any Leinster team coming to town. I could see a lot of games being played out in front of poor attendances under an open draw. It is also not clear what "two groups" achieves that the current system of "two groups" (provinces) does not.

It also creates a provincial final which, though you claim no one cares who wins last year attracted 40,000 in Leinster and 45,000 in Munster (and both attendances were actually down on the previous year). In contrast only 18,000 showed up at the Limerick-Kilkenny knockout game in the quarter-final. Imagine how low that crowd might be in a group game with less at stake? If we judge people voting with their feet it appears that there is much more appetite for the provincial championships than you think.

This of course assumes that we organise competitions in the manner people have shown they want (by attending in large numbers) rather than trying to mirror the structures of competitions in other sports by having open draws just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

My issue with current format is the extra two week wait the provincial winners have to wait before playing their next game, it puts them at a disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm bemused by folks saying Galway haven't played well in a while. It's not 9 months since the SF Replay vs Clare where they put in a great performance. This idea that you have to be blitzing teams like Kilkenny circa 2006-2015 to be hurling well is very much the essence of Twitter talk.

I'll grant you they haven't played well in 2019 yet but I still believe there's a big performance in them yet.

The winner will come from Kilkenny, Cork or Limerick. Tipperary might not win another game for the rest of the year, Galway have seen their best days. I just cannot think of a realistic contender other than these even though you mention that there are at least five.

Clare or Galway could yet win it out too. A bad game or two means nothing. See Limerick last year v Clare or Cork v Tipp this year. All the top 6 are capable of beating each other and will improve as the year goes on. This is particularly true for whoever comes out of Munster where I believe the new format helps hugely in becoming battle hardened. People are very quick to set the year out based on one performance.

Tipp are a classic example of getting your act together. Same players as last year. Teams don’t become poor overnight and the fact is that on their day all the top 6 can beat each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Have no idea why you would say the season is "suiting" Tipperary. Yes, they have won three games but the real sign of a season suiting you is when you can play yourself into the season and not have to be at top pitch. That's why the season is made for Kilkenny. Galway are as poor as they've been for a few years, Wexford are middling enough, and Kilkenny might not have to beat either of them to progress. In reality they should beat both but they don't have to which is the whole point of the season suiting them. By the time Tipperary reach Croke Park they'll have their best hurling done. By the time Kilkenny get there they'll just be getting their full team on the pitch for a fresh start.

But how do you no Tipp will have there best hurling done by the time they hit croke park

maybe there building nicely and there best is yet to come??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

But how do you no Tipp will have there best hurling done by the time they hit croke park

Hes from kilkenny, hes not going to provide any logic for his statement about tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Hes from kilkenny, hes not going to provide any logic for his statement about tipp.

He is absolutely not from Kilkenny. He seems to be on a mission to tell everyone who'll read we're a lock for the All Ireland to make it seem like it's a complete failure if/when we don't win it. Absolute bizarre carry on.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »

I'm bemused by folks saying Galway haven't played well in a while. It's not 9 months since the SF Replay vs Clare where they put in a great performance. This idea that you have to be blitzing teams like Kilkenny circa 2006-2015 to be hurling well is very much the essence of Twitter talk.

I'll grant you they haven't played well in 2019 yet but I still believe there's a big performance in them yet.

You're hardly bemused by a view you actually hold yourself are you?

He seems to be on a mission to tell everyone who'll read we're a lock for the All Ireland to make it seem like it's a complete failure if/when we don't win it.

I never mentioned Kilkenny or anyone else as probable All Ireland winners. All I said was that circumstances are in their favour for reasons I have outlined, i.e. opposition teams not going well and players on the way back. And with that in mind they should easily make an All Ireland semi final and are quite likely finalists. It's not a huge leap really.

I never quite get the (often proposed) argument to abolish the provincial championships but then turn around and create two groups. In other words provide virtually the same championship format with just different teams in the two groups.

The format is fine. At the moment its unfair as Leinster is 3 out of 4 and Munster is 3 out of 5. Also I think it will get tired in a couple of years having the same teams in the same groups every year.
    At least with the provincials people have some chance of not having to travel really insane distances e.g. Clare to Wexford, Cork to Dublin, Waterford to Galway etc. And there is (even if it is absolutely hated by some people) the element of tradition and rivalry associated with the provincial championships. Limerick v Clare, or Tipperary will create far more interest in Limerick than any Leinster team coming to town. I could see a lot of games being played out in front of poor attendances under an open draw.

Tipp v KK, Clare v Galway, Wexford v Waterford etc. Plenty rivalries between the provinces. Distances hardly insane either, I travel from Dublin to all Tipperary games and its no problem. Galway fans have to do it for all their away games.
    It is also not clear what "two groups" achieves that the current system of "two groups" (provinces) does not.

Fairness and will add a bit of novelty. I think the same 4 games year after year will get tired.
    It also creates a provincial final which, though you claim no one cares who wins last year attracted 40,000 in Leinster and 45,000 in Munster (and both attendances were actually down on the previous year). In contrast only 18,000 showed up at the Limerick-Kilkenny knockout game in the quarter-final. Imagine how low that crowd might be in a group game with less at stake? If we judge people voting with their feet it appears that there is much more appetite for the provincial championships than you think.

This of course assumes that we organise competitions in the manner people have shown they want (by attending in large numbers) rather than trying to mirror the structures of competitions in other sports by having open draws just for the sake of it.

I couldn't care less if Tipp win the Munster final or not and I haven't talked to a single Tipp fan who does either. The provincial system is destroying the football championship also.

I don't know this and maybe they are building nicely with the best yet to come. But as the provincial championships kicked on last year Galway and Cork were unbeaten and neither won it out. They had left their best behind them.

Tipp v KK, Clare v Galway, Wexford v Waterford etc. Plenty rivalries between the provinces. Distances hardly insane either, I travel from Dublin to all Tipperary games and its no problem. Galway fans have to do it for all their away games.

Funny how you pick out three pairings which are neighbouring counties. Why not mention the great Limerick-Dublin or Clare-Wexford rivalries. Geography does matter.

And you might travel to all games but people who have to make proper choices where travelling to four games in six weeks involves significant financial outlay are a different matter.

And sure FFS Galway fans are notorious for not travelling!

I don't know this and maybe they are building nicely with the best yet to come. But as the provincial championships kicked on last year Galway and Cork were unbeaten and neither won it out. They had left their best behind them.

Cork played as well as they did in any other game, but were taken out by a very good Limerick team who had drawn with them down in Cork playing with 14 men most of the game.
    Galway played v Clare also, but were just outplayed by a ravenous Limerick team in the final.
    KK are going to dangerous opposition to any team this year and I think they will be thereabouts at the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Funny how you pick out three pairings which are neighbouring counties. Why not mention the great Limerick-Dublin or Clare-Wexford rivalries. Geography does matter.

And you might travel to all games but people who have to make proper choices where travelling to four games in six weeks involves significant financial outlay are a different matter.

And sure FFS Galway fans are notorious for not travelling!

2 games in 6 weeks. As there is 2 home games, the travelling for those will not change. Tipp away to KK or Galway is probably less travelling for a lot of Tipp fans than being away to Cork. Likewise Waterford going to Clare would be farther than to a few of the Leinster counties.

The rivalries you have mentioned wont change, but just might not be meeting every single year which won't do them any harm.

I couldn't care less if Tipp win the Munster final or not and I haven't talked to a single Tipp fan who does either. The provincial system is destroying the football championship also.

If no one cares who wins the provincial finals then how come, to go to the example I used earlier, the Munster and Leinster Finals had nearly three times the attendance of Limerick-Kilkenny (a knockout game) last year? Clare-Wexford pulled 10,000 to their quarter-final whereas Cork-Waterford had more than 14,000 at their last round game when Waterford were already out. How come the games that don't matter are attracting bigger crowds? And surely in any assessment of the championship format the question of what people have actually proven the want to watch (as opposed to what you and other think they should want to watch) should matter?

2 games in 6 weeks. As there is 2 home games, the travelling for those will not change. Tipp away to KK or Galway is probably less travelling for a lot of Tipp fans than being away to Cork. Likewise Waterford going to Clare would be farther than to a few of the Leinster counties.

The rivalries you have mentioned wont change, but just might not be meeting every single year which won't do them any harm.

For some people travelling to home games can be significant. Some people in Limerick county live closer to Cork than to Limerick. Many with families, for example, wouldn't consider home games to be cost-neutral, either in money or time terms. Four games in six weeks is a big ask. Then again, I suppose, your system would sort that out and keep attendances down naturally.

For some people travelling to home games can be significant. Some people in Limerick county live closer to Cork than to Limerick. Many with families, for example, wouldn't consider home games to be cost-neutral, either in money or time terms. Four games in six weeks is a big ask. Then again, I suppose, your system would sort that out and keep attendances down naturally.

4 games in 6 weeks is the ask regardless of the provincial format or not, so only 2 games would change for fans, that is my point.
    For the likes of Clare, if you put KK and Galway into the group and took out Cork and Waterford, they would probably have less travelling to do than in the current format.
    Attendances are hardly anything to write home about now as it is anyway and certainly the likes of a Tipp-GLW or Tipp-KK game wouldn't hurt them.

If no one cares who wins the provincial finals then how come, to go to the example I used earlier, the Munster and Leinster Finals had nearly three times the attendance of Limerick-Kilkenny (a knockout game) last year? Clare-Wexford pulled 10,000 to their quarter-final whereas Cork-Waterford had more than 14,000 at their last round game when Waterford were already out. How come the games that don't matter are attracting bigger crowds? And surely in any assessment of the championship format the question of what people have actually proven the want to watch (as opposed to what you and other think they should want to watch) should matter?

They are an occasion and a nice day out. The actual title is worthless and completely devalued.

Munster and Leinster football finals attendance far exceeded any of the previous rounds also, doesn't mean that its not completely unfair.

The last 3 games were huge for Tipp and their next big game is in the All-Ireland series IMO.
    Last 2 winners of the Leinster championship aren't even in the province.

• Advertisement

They are an occasion and a nice day out. The actual title is worthless and completely devalued.

Munster and Leinster football finals attendance far exceeded any of the previous rounds also, doesn't mean that its not completely unfair.

The last 3 games were huge for Tipp and their next big game is in the All-Ireland series IMO.
    Last 2 winners of the Leinster championship aren't even in the province.

I don't get why you reference the football championship a few times but am wondering what you see as "unfair" about the provincial championships. In hurling there's the same number of games now. And more or less the same standards. I'd have thought unfairness was the last thing that could be said about them. They have rarely been more equitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Couldn't see kk getting near it? Why? If TJ is closed down, who will step up. There forwards are hot and cold. Even more there backs are vulnerable to pace and movement. Limerick should have buried them last year but for e Murphy. Richie Hogan isn't the player he was. Of course kk will always compete but for me they are behind tipp, galway, limerick, cork and Clare. I might add, Davy fitz has had Cody's number since 2017. The legs went on wexford last year after 3 weeks of consecutive hurling. I think kk will get third in leinster but tipp or limerick who I think will be in Munster final will beat them in QF. And I'm still backing galway to beat them next Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

You're hardly bemused by a view you actually hold yourself are you?

Your version of 'a while' and my version clearly differ buddy.

I'd let Kilkenny actually get to Croke Park for at least one weekend in August for the first time in 3 years before I'd start making calls about them being in the top 3 to win it (which with no semi final appearances, they haven't been in going on 3 years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

iebamm2580 wrote: »

Hahahahahahahahaha

All Ireland QFs always get lower attendances for some odd reason even before the current round robin system. Might be something to do with the losing provincial finalist coming off a loss. Most years its a double header in Thurles that doesnt even sell out. Last year Limerick v Kilkenny was actually a good crowd for a standalone AIQF.

[QUOTE=cson;11035287

I'd let Kilkenny actually get to Croke Park for at least one weekend in August for the first time in 3 years before I'd start making calls about them being in the top 3 to win it (which with no semi final appearances, they haven't been in going on 3 years).[/QUOTE]

That's a very conservative strategy. Limerick hadn't been in the semi-final for four years before last year and it didn't stop them doing okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

After this weekend's hurling I think this is how the field looks.

Tipp & Limerick way out in front.

then any one of KK, Galway, Wex, Cork, Clare, Dub ...

Soo barring a freak result where an underdog catches either of the two favourites cold in a knock-out game....it will be Tipp v Limerick final.

Last year Limerick v Kilkenny was actually a good crowd for a standalone AIQF.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't - it was still 10-15k less than the previous year's two quarter-finals which were stand alone. But my point is, if the provincial finals are meaningless, how come so many people attend them relative to a game like Limerick-Kilkenny last year which was important enough to be the end of the road for one of the teams? And should we get rid of the Munster and Leinster Finals (and let's be honest the juicy target is the Munster one) because people are enjoying them too much?

After this weekend's hurling I think this is how the field looks.

Tipp & Limerick way out in front.

then any one of KK, Galway, Wex, Cork, Clare, Dub ...

Soo barring a freak result where an underdog catches either of the two favourites cold in a knock-out game....it will be Tipp v Limerick final.

Limerick have to beat Clare this weekend or we are out. Something we haven't managed to do in 4 years. If we can get over Clare then we are back in it but its 50/50 at best. Limerick will need to be at the top of their 2018 levels to get the job done

All Ireland QFs always get lower attendances for some odd reason even before the current round robin system. Might be something to do with the losing provincial finalist coming off a loss. Most years its a double header in Thurles that doesnt even sell out. Last year Limerick v Kilkenny was actually a good crowd for a standalone AIQF.

Noting also that Limerick v Cork was the first AISF to sell out Croke Park in donkey's years

• Advertisement
Advertisement