Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Nobody can accuse your hurt of being latent anyway. The suffering is palpable.

It hasn't been easy to take

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Powerhouse wrote: »
    For some reason he seems convinced he's heading out to his Debs every night. Not sure why a guy hurtling towards middle-age insists on dressing like an 18 year old. There's definitely slim-fit chino shorts and flip-flops in that wardrobe.

They all think they are extras on some series like 'Peaky Blinders'. Graeme Mulcahy looked like he had a 'Tommy' gun behind the sofa. Now I wouldn't minded if he had and lined up Marty,Des Cahill, Cusack, Duignan and ect and let them have it..like the Valentines day Massacre from the Chicago of Bugsy Malone and Al Capone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

"I wouldn't be blaming James Owens" says richie, damn right you won't richie, no one to blame but yourself.

"I had to bend my elbow to hold a 36" hurley" say's richie :pac:

"my elbow doesn't connect with his face" say richie!! Look at the attached.

By not taking responsibility for his actions this is only going to run on until next year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Given that your opinion is that Hogan made a deliberate attempt to break Barrett's jaw I don't think there is any reason to take anything you say seriously.

I thought Richie's interview was excellent, it would have been very easy for him to hide away and not say anything. I thought it was very honest and hopefully he'll be back next season and hopefully he gets his injuries sorted out as he has had a terrible run with injuries.

For a man that has posted the same image 400 times in recent days, it's baffling that you cannot see that he struck him with his upper arm, which is to be expected when you line a player up for a shoulder and he steps in side and you reach out to make contact.
    Richie admitted he struck Barrett but not with his elbow. Are you still asserting he did?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Given that your opinion is that Hogan made a deliberate attempt to break Barrett's jaw I don't think there is any reason to take anything you say seriously.

I thought Richie's interview was excellent, it would have been very easy for him to hide away and not say anything. I thought it was very honest and hopefully he'll be back next season and hopefully he gets his injuries sorted out as he has had a terrible run with injuries.

When you hear nonsense about attempting to break jaws etc. you'd wonder have these people ever held a hurl in their life

For a man that has posted the same image 400 times in recent days, it's baffling that you cannot see that he struck him with his upper arm, which is to be expected when you line a player up for a shoulder and he steps in side and you reach out to make contact.
    Richie admitted he struck Barrett but not with his elbow. Are you still asserting he did?

Can ye not just accept it and move on? No need to be so bitter about it. Christ ye've won 36 of them. Blaming the ref will get ye nowhere.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What does Cyril Farrell be talking about?

Hurling mainly.

Can ye not just accept it and move on? No need to be so bitter about it. Christ ye've won 36 of them. Blaming the ref will get ye nowhere.
    I'm not blaming the ref, Hogan didn't blame the ref so what are you talking about? You repeatedly stated Hogan struck Barrett with elbow. It is evident from your favourite photo he didn't, that's what i stated. Are you even reading what's being posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭letsseehere14

My all-star team

B. Hogan (no goalie really stood out for me, that I can remember, so the winning keeper, keeping 4 clean sheets along the way and made some great stops, gets my nod)

C. Barrett (very important to Tipp, adds pace, played well as the free man and was missed when injured)
    R. Maher (semi and final performances there were brilliant. excellent at half back too)
    S. Finn (thought he was excellent all round this year, really important from Limerick in the full back line)

B. Maher (a true leader, great man marker, he has it all and showed it this year)
    P. Walsh (great year for him, did leave John McGrath too muc room to roam in the final but was a strong year for him)
    P. Maher (brendan, Ronan and Paudie, all deserve to be on th eteam of the year this year. Showed leadership last Sunday when moved onto Walsh and burst up the middle when tipp needed some inspiration)

N. McGrath (ran the show for Tipp this year, will be remembered as one of the greats)
    D. O'Keefe (thought he had a great year this year. up there as one of Wexfords most important players)

L. Chin (he has got some stick over the years but this year he really showed up in every game, form the last point agains tKilkenny in the round robin to the goal in the semi final)
    TJ Reid (no explanation necessary)
    J. Forde (did his job quietly, 1-18 from play, 2-66 in all. Solid form place balls, sidelines and 65s. Sneaks in ahead of J. McGrath for me)

A. Gillane (maybe some bias on my part, awesome league, averaged 3 points from play every day, 3-50 in 6 games in the championship)
    S Callinan (no explanation necessary)
    P Horgan (no explanation necessary)

Tipp - 8
    Kilkenny - 2
    Limerick - 2
    Wexford - 2
    Cork - 1

Unlucky to miss out:
    A Mullen. YHOTY in my opinion, but not fit in the final and there was too many others that did play well in the final and had just as much impact.
    J. McGrath had a great final and scored heavily over the championship but the lull from Munster final to red card meant I went with Forde.
    C. Fennelly, again had a big impact but it came down to him or Gillane, I though Gillane was that little more impressive.
    E. Murphy, only lost out because Tipp won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Treble double

The way hurling has been reffed for the last 10 years plus has led to the uproar over this sending off. Reffs have been encouraged to let matches flow for the sake of better spectacles. This has meant alot of rules not being enforced eg. steps, handpass, general pulling and dragging etc. Players, coaches and spectators have become used to this culture. That's why I have sympathy for Hogan, he has played all his career with this culture and 2 years ago wouldn't have been booked for that challenge if Barrett had got up straight away. I think hurling is coming to a crossroads, reffs can't be expected to pick and choose what rules they enforce for the sake of the spectacle. All rules will have to be enforced for the sake of consistency and with top inter county players calling for a VAR type system it will make for a very stop start poor spectacle. Hurling as a spectacle is brilliant when it is off the cuff, mile a minute, non stop. If it is reduced to a stop start free taking competition it will die. Interesting times ahead for the law makers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Almost sure I saw Davy Fitz 100/1 for the Galway job

He might be interested in it if he leaves Wexford. Doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

The way hurling has been reffed for the last 10 years plus has led to the uproar over this sending off. Reffs have been encouraged to let matches flow for the sake of better spectacles. This has meant alot of rules not being enforced eg. steps, handpass, general pulling and dragging etc. Players, coaches and spectators have become used to this culture. That's why I have sympathy for Hogan, he has played all his career with this culture and 2 years ago wouldn't have been booked for that challenge if Barrett had got up straight away. I think hurling is coming to a crossroads, reffs can't be expected to pick and choose what rules they enforce for the sake of the spectacle. All rules will have to be enforced for the sake of consistency and with top inter county players calling for a VAR type system it will make for a very stop start poor spectacle. Hurling as a spectacle is brilliant when it is off the cuff, mile a minute, non stop. If it is reduced to a stop start free taking competition it will die. Interesting times ahead for the law makers.
    At the same time tackling in Hurling has developed in recent years whereby tackling to the head had become semi legitimate due to the mandatory hemet rule, I know back when I was playing if someone made a tackle like Hogans on Sunday there would have been absolute war. You played tough but you did not deliberately tackle someone at head height.
    The rubbish that has been allowed to develop has resulted in some dour attritional huring where the skills have been stifled. The current bellyaching from KK is all about trying to influence the direction hurling takes, do we want more scrums, more tackles to the head, more dour purely physical contests, more manly (whatever that means) or do we have rules we enforce?
    The ref had a great last Sunday and yet this morning we wake up to more interviews and crap from KK about the refereeing last Sunday, they lost, they deserved to loose, Hogan deserved to see red for his decision to tackle with the elbow raised so why is this debate still going on. The sour grapes is unbelievable for such a fantastic hurling county that has won more than all the rest of us. Give it up and accept that the way hurling was going could not continue.
    There have been great open free flowing games in recent years where the ref has let it flow but there hasn't been the bull**** tackling to the head and nasty physical un-manly/cowardly crap.
    Over the last 20 years I often thought that he worse mistake teams made when teams played KK was to try and physically intimidate KK. They always simply had the better skillful hurlers. You always tried to beat KK playing hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

KK folks and Hogan are making complete idiots of themselves now. Jaysus.

Sore sore losers. Embarrassed for them.

No way he has a 36 inch hurl either!

Don't agree with your central point at all but the I laughed when he said a 36" hurl. 33" max I reckon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

mosesgun wrote: »
    Don't agree with your central point at all but the I laughed when he said a 36" hurl. 33" max I reckon :)

Come on lads we'll give a Richie a pass on that one as he wouldn't be the first man to add an inch or two to his stick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think this is a good point. I think it was in the independent today someone was saying that James Owens has set a high standard for punishing these fouls with red cards.

Already this season we saw similar fouls go unpunished or get yellow cards (At least 4 that I can think of off the top of my head) Are we going to see a spate of straight red cards next season?
    On 'Off The Ball' last night Richie Hogan was adamant his challenge was "honest" and that in no way could it be described as an elbow to the head.

But unlike the black card in football, there is no distinction between accidental and deliberate. If it's high and hard, it's in red card zone. Now that it has been applied on the highest stage, it sets the standard for other referees to follow.

Thus, the challenge by Bill Cooper that, ironically, caught Hogan in the All-Ireland quarter-final and left Cooper worse off, might be viewed differently now. Owens himself was referee that day.

So, too, will a couple of incidents during the Munster hurling final when Tipp's John O'Dwyer caught Diarmaid Byrnes with a hurl to the head and Ronan Maher met Peter Casey with a shoulder to the head that was late.

If the common consensus was that Hogan's red card was merited and was in line with what is expected from these type of challenges, then it sets a different landscape for the game in the years to come.

Interesting times ahead next year I would say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think this is a good point. I think it was in the independent today someone was saying that James Owens has set a high standard for punishing these fouls with red cards.

Already this season we saw similar fouls go unpunished or get yellow cards (At least 4 that I can think of off the top of my head) Are we going to see a spate of straight red cards next season?

Interesting times ahead next year I would say.

that quote is absolutely 100% incorrect. The rules very clearly state that the referee is to issue a card if he deems it to be deliberate and not accidental.
    In the following components of this Rule on Aggressive
    Fouls, there are references made to specific infractions
    being penalised by Caution or Ordering Off – signalled
    by Cards of a stated colour. A Card shall be issued only
    where the Infraction is deemed by the Referee to have
    been deliberate and not accidental.

Again, the ones being compared to hogan are not really comparable at all. Hogan struck a player who had the ball in his hand across the head with a flailing arm. None of the other comparisons had anything similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

bruschi wrote: »
    that quote is absolutely 100% incorrect. The rules very clearly state that the referee is to issue a card if he deems it to be deliberate and not accidental.

Again, the ones being compared to hogan are not really comparable at all. Hogan struck a player who had the ball in his hand across the head with a flailing arm. None of the other comparisons had anything similar.

Ronan Maher on Peter Casey was similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I would say the Ronan Maher one was borderline. He actually did play and win the ball in that challenge on Casey, but follow through took Casey out. Yes, could have been red, but more of a grey area in it than Hogans challenge imho.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I don't see a huge difference between the Hogan, Cooper and Maher incidents. There could not be any real arguments if a red card was shown in any of those cases. Same for Cillian Buckley in the semi final. Probably some more examples throughout the year as well.

No point in rehashing old ground but no doubt referees will be under more pressure now to issue more reds from next season.

I think when an elbow to the head isn't considered a red card it would be worrying times for the gaa.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I don't know, I don't see a huge difference between the Hogan, Cooper and Maher incidents. There could not be any real arguments if a red card was shown in any of those cases. Same for Cillian Buckley in the semi final. Probably some more examples throughout the year as well.

No point in rehashing old ground but no doubt referees will be under more pressure now to issue more reds from next season.

John Hanbury was sent off for Galway on a straight red for a high tackle, if I recall correctly. Tony Kelly in the league. There may have been others too that I dont remember off hand. Hogans was the clearest of any of those mentioned there. There was an emphasis on the head high tackle and it was enforced correctly in the final. Just because some think some may have been lucky previously, doesnt make any difference really to the incident in the final.

If refs are giving red cards for hitting a player with a flailing arm to the head on a mistimed shoulder, then I dont think anyone can really complain if that red card incident is given over and over.

John Hanbury was sent off for Galway on a straight red for a high tackle, if I recall correctly. Tony Kelly in the league. There may have been others too that I dont remember off hand. Hogans was the clearest of any of those mentioned there. There was an emphasis on the head high tackle and it was enforced correctly in the final. Just because some think some may have been lucky previously, doesn't make any difference really to the incident in the final.

If refs are giving red cards for hitting a player with a flailing arm to the head on a mistimed shoulder, then I dont think anyone can really complain if that red card incident is given over and over.

The Cooper one was by far the most dangerous of them all but didn't as snugly fit the definition of a high tackle whereas Hanbury's did and it was harmless enough
    The worst I can remember in recent times was Burke on Scanlon, how there wasn't more made of that at the time I don't know

The essence of the second half of the first paragraph appears to be that while the rules weren't applied correctly for most of the Championship they were for the final and that's it. I say that inconsistency is less than ideal and not fair on players really.

The Cooper one was by far the most dangerous of them all but didn't as snugly fit the definition of a high tackle whereas Hanbury's did and it was harmless enough
    The worst I can remember in recent times was Burke on Scanlon, how there wasn't more made of that at the time I don't know

The essence of the second half of the first paragraph appears to be that while the rules weren't applied correctly for most of the Championship they were for the final and that's it. I say that inconsistency is less than ideal and not fair on players really.

It's not fair that the rules are correctly applied? Whilst it may be inconsistent, it's not like they were denied something. I really don't think you can say something is unfair because it may have been let go previously but then the correct call is made. Hogan just didn't get away with it, that's all. He was correctly sent off.

It's not fair that the rules are correctly applied? Whilst it may be inconsistent, it's not like they were denied something. I really don't think you can say something is unfair because it may have been let go previously but then the correct call is made. Hogan just didn't get away with it, that's all. He was correctly sent off.

I think you are fully aware that I am not claiming Hogan should have avoided red, my point is that the inconsistency is unfair. Was it unfair on Limerick that Buckley was not sent off? Could the fact that he was not sent off or Cooper was not sent off influence other players' play? Let's not pretend that players don't adjust their play to how the game or games are refereed over a period of time, irrespective of the rules, and lets not pretend that every passage of play doesn't involve multiple incidents that are not sanctioned as per the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭tibruit

"I wouldn't be blaming James Owens" says richie, damn right you won't richie, no one to blame but yourself.

"I had to bend my elbow to hold a 36" hurley" say's richie :pac:

"my elbow doesn't connect with his face" say richie!! Look at the attached.

By not taking responsibility for his actions this is only going to run on until next year.

Take another look at your photo. It clearly shows that Richies elbow did not connect with Barretts face. You`re gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

C__MC wrote: »
    I might add we need the hurling final back to September, minor back to 18 and separate weekends for semi

Tradition is hard bet
    Correct. There just seemed to be a fierce hurry to get hurling out of the way. Games every week in the provincial championship and then 2 semi finals in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Treble double

I think you are fully aware that I am not claiming Hogan should have avoided red, my point is that the inconsistency is unfair. Was it unfair on Limerick that Buckley was not sent off? Could the fact that he was not sent off or Cooper was not sent off influence other players' play? Let's not pretend that players don't adjust their play to how the game or games are refereed over a period of time, irrespective of the rules, and lets not pretend that every passage of play doesn't involve multiple incidents that are not sanctioned as per the rules

Spot on, the problem arises because the rules aren't being enforced as per the rulebook across the board. Reffs are encouraged to let the game flow, there is inconsistency from game to game and every good player will push the boundaries to see what they can get away with. By the rule book hogan's challenge was a red. It causes controversy because it is not a red consistently across the board.
    The solution is to get referees to enforce every rule in the game to achieve consistent refereeing and leave players in no doubt where they stand, the problem is what kind of a spectacle will that leave the punter with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Consistency is a massive problem, always has been. Refs "letting the game flow" will always come in for praise from some quarters, particularly from let us say the more old school hurling fans, but the game has gone far too serious and professional now to be officiated in such a loosely subjective manner.

There is a wider refereeing issue, not enough experienced, top class officials and a pool that is dwindling all the while. If the GAA wants to go down that route of getting tough on bad/dangerous tackles and ensuring consistency, then it has to invest and give referees better training and set high standards. As it is, listening to people talk about two referees is just a non starter: you just end up with one referee letting things go in one half, the other blowing everything the other. Or, alternatively, a challenge on half way line and one ref throwing his arm one direction, the other ref indicating the opposite. Recipe for chaos.

There are precedents from soccer and rugby here. 10 years ago there was frequent outcry in soccer for certain tackles that were getting red. Now any semblance of a two footed lunge and everybody knows: straight red. Rugby is getting to grips with the high tackles, causes controversty for a while until folk get used to it and arguments die down. But zero tolerance is the bottom line and the GAA has to ensure it's ready for it. As things stand, not sure that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Field east

John Hanbury was sent off for Galway on a straight red for a high tackle, if I recall correctly. Tony Kelly in the league. There may have been others too that I dont remember off hand. Hogans was the clearest of any of those mentioned there. There was an emphasis on the head high tackle and it was enforced correctly in the final. Just because some think some may have been lucky previously, doesnt make any difference really to the incident in the final.

tibruit wrote: »
    Take another look at your photo. It clearly shows that Richies elbow did not connect with Barretts face. You`re gas.

Does it matter whether it was Hogan’s flailing arm or his elbow made contact with Barrett’s Helmet and by extension his head. The result would have been the same either way . Barrett’s was jerked back with the contact - like as if he got a right solid punch from a boxer. So he was solidly hit by something. It is impossible to be 100% precicse as to what exact part of Hogan’s body made contact with Barrett’s helmet one has an ability to play the clip frame by frame. Having looked at the various clips in greater detail I am now of the opinion that the part that Hogan made contact with that part from the shoulder and half ways down to the elbow - so I hope that this clarification- veering away from 100% elbow will bring some solace to you. And somewhat mitigate the foul IN YOUR EYES

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

One thing that is obvious and easy to improve is have proper referees doing the line. The lads doing the line, act like just that, like they're just doing the line. The lads on the line should have more input on decisions.

Let's see them raise their flag for a foul like soccer assistants do.

And another thing, have proper umpires. Not auld lads who can barely get the position of the 65 right....

Where do they get the umpires anyways? They're useless in most cases. They should be mic'd up to the ref too to indicate fouling off the ball.

It looks really bad for Hogan to come out so strongly and claim it wasn't deserved.

Could have got a lot of sympathy if he had came out and said "it was a genuine attempt, but at the same time I did catch him and gave the ref a decision to make."

Instead he harps on about it not being irish dancing and you can't have your arms down by your side making a shoulder. Well show me a player making a shoulder where his arm is NOT infront of his body. If Hogan was making a shoulder, his right arm would be across his body and his right hand would be around his left pec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

It looks really bad for Hogan to come out so strongly and claim it wasn't deserved.

Could have got a lot of sympathy if he had came out and said "it was a genuine attempt, but at the same time I did catch him and gave the ref a decision to make."

Instead he harps on about it not being irish dancing and you can't have your arms down by your side making a shoulder. Well show me a player making a shoulder where his arm is NOT infront of his body. If Hogan was making a shoulder, his right arm would be across his body and his right hand would be around his left pec.

In your opinion.

Why should he say things for your approval though ?

Do you think he places a great store in getting your 'sympathy' ?

I hope not anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭tibruit

Field east wrote: »
    Does it matter whether it was Hogan’s flailing arm or his elbow made contact with Barrett’s Helmet and by extension his head. The result would have been the same either way . Barrett’s was jerked back with the contact - like as if he got a right solid punch from a boxer. So he was solidly hit by something. It is impossible to be 100% precicse as to what exact part of Hogan’s body made contact with Barrett’s helmet one has an ability to play the clip frame by frame. Having looked at the various clips in greater detail I am now of the opinion that the part that Hogan made contact with that part from the shoulder and half ways down to the elbow - so I hope that this clarification- veering away from 100% elbow will bring some solace to you. And somewhat mitigate the foul IN YOUR EYES

If Hogan had elbowed Barrett in the jaw in the way some of you like indicate, Barrett wouldn`t have got up. So yeah, it does matter and it does mitigate the foul. Barrett wasn`t injured at all and had an excellent second half.

In your opinion.

Why should he say things for your approval though ?

Do you think he places a great store in getting your 'sympathy' ?

I hope not anyway.

Well he seemed to care about peoples opinions enough to go on national radio and plead his innocence.

Well he seemed to care about peoples opinions enough to go on national radio and plead his innocence.

I'm sure he has met enough knuckledraggers over the years to know that you will never change some people's minds. Especially if they are predisposed to paint you in a bad light, and take pleasure out of doing it, the losers that they are.

Yet he gave his point of view. And rightly so.

I still think he doesn't give a rat's about 'sympathy' from you or anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Stop it's beyond embarrassment at this stage. I thought Hogan would have more cop on.

are you talking to ritchy hogan or 99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Stop it's beyond embarrassment at this stage. I thought Hogan would have more cop on.

Have you actually listened to the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

.....listening to people talk about two referees is just a non starter: you just end up with one referee letting things go in one half, the other blowing everything the other.....
    James McGrath used to do that on his own when Clare played Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Field east

tibruit wrote: »
    If Hogan had elbowed Barrett in the jaw in the way some of you like indicate, Barrett wouldn`t have got up. So yeah, it does matter and it does mitigate the foul. Barrett wasn`t injured at all and had an excellent second half.

This is’nt even splitting hairs - it is splitting hair molecules. Please do’nt go as far as splitting protons in hair molecules.
    The rule refers only about contact with the head by any part of the body by another player or his Hurley is a red card. It says absolutely nothing about the player in receipt of the contact to the head. Even if Barrett stayed standing and bust into singing a verse of ‘ The Rose Of Mooncoin ‘ it would not have changed anything re the decision made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

I've never heard such whinging after the loss of an All Ireland in my life. The fact that the red card was so blatant and the result was such a hammering it just beggars belief. Plenty of teams down through the years with genuine grievances have sucked it up and got on with it. The bleating over the last few days has been pathetic. I expected more from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

If this appeal is true it certainly will drag it on for a good while. I didn't expect that but i suppose with the amount of anger and complaining and refusal to accept the red card by so many Kilkenny folk and ex players/pundits it shouldn't really come as a surprise.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

marvin80 wrote: »

That's just bizarre now.

Can't get past the paywall, so haven't read the article, but going by reports I fail to see any practical benefit to this.

I don't think it affects him being able to tog out for Danesfort does it? Even if it did, they should let it drop.

The old adage about digging holes comes to mind.

(He will miss first championship game in 2020. I doubt that this is reason for the appeal. Getting embarrassing now.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Bonniedog wrote: »
    That's just bizarre now.

Can't get past the paywall, so haven't read the article, but going by reports I fail to see any practical benefit to this.

I don't think it affects him being able to tog out for Danesfort does it? Even if it did, they should let it drop.

The old adage about digging holes comes to mind.

Possibly miss Kilkenny's first league or championship match but I doubt thats what there thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

marvin80 wrote: »
    Possibly miss Kilkenny's first league or championship match but I doubt thats what there thinking about.
    This is all about KK trying to influence the direction refereeing takes next year and beyond.
    The GAA need to stand up now to KK and stand up for the referees that call it correctly.
    Hurling does not need head high tackling.

• Advertisement

rebs23 wrote: »
    This is all about KK trying to influence the direction refereeing takes next year and beyond.
    The GAA need to stand up now to KK and stand up for the referees that call it correctly.
    Hurling does not need head high tackling.

Leaving aside the Hogan incident for a minute, exactly how much of a problem was head high tackling? We've seen this year that despite the supposed clamp down on it, most offenders do not get sent off anyway (which seemed to be accepted by those lauding James Owens) and we now have to put up with the spectacle of players exaggerating the effects of any tackle around the neck/head (no I'm not talking about Barrett specifically here). This is already an issue in football which will only get worse next year.
    Or is this Willie Barrett initiative another soon forgotten one like the faceguard one from a few years ago?

Advertisement