Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

CptMackey wrote: »
    Dont have one ordered but would you consume a load of data playing on this?

Will data caps be a problem with stadia?
    Dont have fibre only a wisp

Yes. Uses lots and lots of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Got my code but no controller. So just used the browser on my pc. Got through the character select and terms and conditions screens of Destiny and it turned off with a message saying i don't have enough speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Got my code but no controller. So just used the browser on my pc. Got through the character select and terms and conditions screens of Destiny and it turned off with a message saying i don't have enough speed.

Where you located and what sort of net connection do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I got my code finally :D

Played the 2 games that are free with Pro, Samurai Shodown and Destiny 2 for about an hour there.
    It's totally fine for me.

Connected the CC via ethernet and was able to play a couple of fights in the Samurai game and the opening part of Destiny and it just worked.

Pretty happy with how it works actually!

One good thing when setting up on my phone, I was able to use carrier billing on the Pro subscription, so that can come out of my spare credit in the future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I got my code on Tuesday night, setup through the app was pretty seamless I must say. Played D2 via Xbox controller on both the phone (Pixel 3a XL) and the MacBook. So far so.... Not so bad.

I have the hardware now too but I haven't set it up yet, I intend to get it going on the next hour and see what's what both wired and wireless.

As an aside, I also got invited to the Xcloud thing, played a full arcade run of Tekken 7, that was pretty damned good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I got my code on Tuesday night, setup through the app was pretty seamless I must say. Played D2 via Xbox controller on both the phone (Pixel 3a XL) and the MacBook. So far so.... Not so bad.

I have the hardware now too but I haven't set it up yet, I intend to get it going on the next hour and see what's what both wired and wireless.

As an aside, I also got invited to the Xcloud thing, played a full arcade run of Tekken 7, that was pretty damned good.

Interested to hear how you fare out across the next few weeks playing it, regarding the latency etc, how did Destiny feel?

Compared to say the PS4 or Xbox version?

The game feels sluggish on the PS4 Pro anyway but I think that's more the 30fps as it's really fast on my PC (obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Fieldog wrote: »
    Interested to hear how you fare out across the next few weeks playing it, regarding the latency etc, how did Destiny feel?

Compared to say the PS4 or Xbox version?

The game feels sluggish on the PS4 Pro anyway but I think that's more the 30fps as it's really fast on my PC (obviously!)

Dya know what, I had sore eyes from the 60 frames ðŸ˜

Honestly, aside from a small bit of suspected latency issues, it played fine. There was no discernable input lag on button presses, loading times were super fast, but there was some drops and a few drags on the MacBook, and it black screened once. Now, that was the second time it had done that on the Mac, so I'd suspect it had more to do with the device rather than the connection. The drops, however, were definitely a connection issue.

Still, it's early doors and from what I have seen up to now, I have a renewed positivity for the future. Would it be my main way of gaming? No. Would it be super handy as a way to have a cheeky game of I'm glued to the couch? Why not.

For me with D2, the audio seemed a smidge behind the action.
    Like, I was shooting and it was happening pretty much instantly, but the audio of the shots seemed to come later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Richard from Digital Foundry with the perfect review of it, it's an interesting looking prospect, it will only get better from here on in...

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

so a little update and the s**t show that is stadia. I received my code on Tuesday. my controller was suppose to be here Wednesday- Thursday. I check my order status Tuesday evening , just reads delayed. let it slide for a day, no update. so rang Google support- 4 people later and waiting for a phone call back as they have no idea where it is or why it hasn't shipped.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Where you located and what sort of net connection do you have?

Speedtest says 566mbps down and 590mbps up with 5ms latency.

I was rushing to finish work so just stuck it on for 5 mins. I will give it a proper go with the chrome cast over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

What a mess. Reports of Chromecast ultra overheating after long sessions:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/stadia-is-so-powerful-it-can-overheat-your-chromecast.1511968/

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

My experience is fantastic ok a bit sluggish with the codes and yeah some stuff missing but wow it works and playing a game is fantastic the controller is brilliant no lag I can notice and on a oled with hdr it look brilliant. Technically it's a triumph and only out 3 days ! I just hope the game pricing gets sorted out and looking forward to finding out what games get included monthly ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Got my Founders pack today. Will test it out tonight.

Gave it another bash there for 10 mins to test it out. (Still no Stadia controller, so using a PS4 attached to PC and on Chrome browser).

Flawless. Zero lag with jumping, moving or shooting on Destiny 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭farreca

Founders pack arrived today, got it all set up but it seems Bungie is having issues with its servers so couldn't play destiny 2.

Tried out Samurai Shodown and no noticeable lag in the controls but the video and audio are very noticeably out of sync.

I'm on an FTTH connection and generally get 470mbps down & 200mbps up with 5ms ping on my 5Ghz wifi network.

Jumped on to show a colleague, Stadia is working perfectly but Destiny is offline now :)

Seems to be across the board for Destiny, going on for hours now. Poor Google that's their flagship title, I'm sure they paid Bungie a nice chunk of cash too and it's been offline all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seems to be across the board for Destiny, going on for hours now. Poor Google that's their flagship title, I'm sure they paid Bungie a nice chunk of cash too and it's been offline all day.

Why would they pay Bungie anything? Destiny is a free to play game on all platforms and you can pay to unlock the most recent content which is the same on Stadia from what I can see.

Didn't really follow Destiny going free to play, i presumed it was a bundled game.

• Advertisement

Didn't really follow Destiny going free to play, i presumed it was a bundled game.

Nope it's free. The base game and most of the DLC is available on all other platforms for nothing. Now maybe the Stadia version includes Shadowkeep. But reading up on it now if you stop paying your premium subscription you lose access to Destiny (saw it on r/Stadia by one of the community reps) so seems a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭elmicko

Got my Founders pack today. I set it up and got a big surprise: you only get two games via Stadia Pro. I thought Stadia Pro was going to be like EA Access and all the launch day games were included - nope. As mentioned by other posters, you get Destiny 2 and Samurai Showdown. All the other launch titles are available to buy. For example Red Dead Redemption is €59.99 and GRID is €69.99. There are some discounts for having Stadia Pro but it's not great either: Mortal Kombat 11 is €59.99 down to €41.99.
    If I had known this I wouldn't have bothered.

Destiny comes with all the bells and whistles on Stadia!
    Other platforms have to pay for some DLC.

Otherwise Google would have been slated for charging a subscription for a free game :)

elmicko wrote: »
    Got my Founders pack today. I set it up and got a big surprise: you only get two games via Stadia Pro. I thought Stadia Pro was going to be like EA Access and all the launch day games were included - nope. As mentioned by other posters, you get Destiny 2 and Samurai Showdown. All the other launch titles are available to buy. For example Red Dead Redemption is €59.99 and GRID is €69.99. There are some discounts for having Stadia Pro but it's not great either: Mortal Kombat 11 is €59.99 down to €41.99.
    If I had known this I wouldn't have bothered.

Not trying to be smart but they did make it fairly clear that it wasn't like EA Access and that games would need to be bought individually.

Tried mine out tonight on the TV and samurai showdown worked great. Im terrible at it but as far as proof of concept goes, I'm happy with it.
    Gonna pick up NBA tomorrow. €25 is a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Look, I know I come across as all 'PC master race' fairly often, but tbh it's performance master race and the resources we're willing to put into it and sometimes those resources don't tell the whole story (hence 2 weeks or so of my life lost on the PS4 with Death Stranding, which I absurdly fkn adore). But I see Destiny 2 brought up so much as a standard to which we are judging Stadia. Destiny 2 has a lot of high points (I have a few hundred hours across platforms) but it is a slow game. Yes. Slow. While it is much easier on the PC with M+KB the game is designed around an accuracy and reflex level that is not remotely extreme. That is not a bad thing, I really enjoy it with friends that are not excluded by extrem git-gud but as a benchmark for how the input/response latency is on any system? No. It's a mediocre one at best.
    I'm not anti-stadia, I am a gamer of over 3.5 decades, I will jump on and endorse any system that provides a quality experience. But I won't settle either when possible. All that said as may be obvious I don't sub to it yet, and as I have said before without personal experience you can never actually have an oppinion on it but simply have an oppinion of someone else's.
    But....Destiny 2 should not be anyone's benchmark for low-latency requiring play, if it is then the system has a less than optimal benchmark.

It doesn't matter if a game is slow or not, we are discussing reaction time to our button presses, i.e. latency.
    It is imperceivable to me :)

I got my invite to Project X Cloud. It is UK based and going to a S7 mobile phone so not a fair comparison. Stadia is better as you would expect but not much.

I stuck it on and instantly had a collection of games, played Ace Combat 7 and Gears 5.

Very hard to justify a tenner on Stadia versus 15 for Game Pass which includes Xcloud. Especially when you can download games and play offline.

I got my invite to Project X Cloud. It is UK based and going to a S7 mobile phone so not a fair comparison. Stadia is better as you would expect but not much.

I stuck it on and instantly had a collection of games, played Ace Combat 7 and Gears 5.

Very hard to justify a tenner on Stadia versus 15 for Game Pass which includes Xcloud. Especially when you can download games and play offline.

When Xcloud becomes publicly available to everyone, there's a chance il switch to that if it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Destiny comes with all the bells and whistles on Stadia!
    Other platforms have to pay for some DLC.

Otherwise Google would have been slated for charging a subscription for a free game :)

Destiny 2 on Stadia does not come with all the bells and whistles. The graphic settings are similar to PC medium settings and there is no option to change the FoV like there is on the PC version.

I'm a little disappointed by it.

• Advertisement

Destiny 2 on Stadia does not come with all the bells and whistles. The graphic settings are similar to PC medium settings and there is no option to change the FoV like there is on the PC version.

I'm a little disappointed by it.

He means all the dlc content.

Advertisement