Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked one of these up last week and have enjoyed the experience so far.
    No lag to speak of, we have fibre to the doorstep.
    The paucity of titles in the store is a bit disappointing but that is the bane of early adopters everywhere.
    I grabbed the four Pro titles and the discounted Tomb Raider title yesterday.
    Certainly the reports of the type of structure the Stadia will have gives one some hope that the format has a sunny future.
    If only the current game prices weren't so high, and for games that aren't even current!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm not buying any games because I don't know what will happen when my 3-month sub runs out and they haven't launched the free play option. Am I just locked out of my games then?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

I'm not buying any games because I don't know what will happen when my 3-month sub runs out and they haven't launched the free play option. Am I just locked out of my games then?

as far as I know you won't be locked out of your games but you will be capped at 1080p, so no 4k.

gmg678 wrote: »
    as far as I know you won't be locked out of your games but you will be capped at 1080p, so no 4k.

In time yes, but the "free 1080P" service isn't launching until sometime next year. If that turns out to be say August, can I still play at 1080p in March, if that service isn't live yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

In time yes, but the "free 1080P" service isn't launching until sometime next year. If that turns out to be say August, can I still play at 1080p in March, if that service isn't live yet?

Good point!
    Do they have to launch the public offering within 90 days for any purchased games to be of use?

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Good point!
    Do they have to launch the public offering within 90 days for any purchased games to be of use?

At that point you aren't just paying to play at 4K, you are paying to play your games, that you bought from Google at a higher price than on PC or console :mad:

Who is actually responsible for the pricing on the platform?
    Is it Google, or the individual devs?
    I feel like giving out!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The devs usually.

Google says the devs set it, the devs say they don't talk about googles pricing policy.

I hit the cancel sub button, it isn't over until March and the email said I will keep my ability to play games I own. But since I only have the claimed ones and am unlikely to buy anything on offer for the foreseeable, Stadia is dead much sooner than I expected.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The devs usually.
    Google says the devs set it, the devs say they don't talk about googles pricing policy.

I hit the cancel sub button, it isn't over until March and the email said I will keep my ability to play games I own. But since I only have the claimed ones and am unlikely to buy anything on offer for the foreseeable, Stadia is dead much sooner than I expected.

Yea but I think the way it works is that the developer doesn't really have much of a decision when it comes to pricing, Google will likely set minimum and maximum prices as well as say how much they expect to take for various games.

So while the developer technically makes the decision, it's not as if they can charge whatever they like.

• Advertisement

Great, now they are giving a 2nd buddy pass to founders!

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1206652265714446336?s=20

I didn't use the 1st one yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

Great, now they are giving a 2nd buddy pass to founders!
    Share the love :D

Edit: Just got a code from Reddit. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I see Thumper and Tomb Raider are the free games with a Pro sub this month.

don't know what thumper is, but glad to get rise of the tomb raider, as I 100%'d tomb raider 2013, so this should be fun :)

If they keep this up then you should get 20+ games in the library after a year so it is looking more appealing. They really should have sold that at launch.

Anyone else lost Tomb Raider DE? I had it claimed, and played some. Now I just have the Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Edit it is there but not in the list of games. It is in the back ground though. Weird.

In the Stadia Pro section of the shop, it seems to have been replaced in the feed by Destiny 2, which was removed in that feed for me on Jan 1st!

Weird :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think it's safe to say that Stadia is garbage for the next year or 2 but in 2 years time it could be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That's if it makes it to 2 years.

Metro Exodus and Glyt getting added to the free games on Feb 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

What's the consensus on the console? I'm pulled in by the cheap price and the opportunity to play FM on my work laptop! How do the games performance? I've heard issues with lag? My download speed is 181mbs

You should have no issues running it but you would be better off buying it on steam and using Geforce now for a fiver a month. If you do get a better pc down the line you own the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Beau wrote: »
    What's the consensus on the console? I'm pulled in by the cheap price and the opportunity to play FM on my work laptop! How do the games performance? I've heard issues with lag? My download speed is 181mbs

Well, I got it at the start. Said I'd give it a go. More out of curiosity than anything else.

Technically it's hit or miss. At times I notice no lag at all playing Destiny 2. Looks good and loads extremely fast in comparison to consoles.

But there is no denying that when it's not running well it's very bad. Not so much lags as extreme framerate drop. At times it can be unplayable. I live in west Dublin, probably only a few miles from a local datacentre and I'm on 250Mbps.
    I actually think they are almost there. When it works it is great. I would be a casual gamer. I like single player games and hop-in-jop-out games like Destiny but I wouldn't be into twitch-reaction games like COD (I'm just too old and haven't the reaction time or patience to accept 12-year-old kids teabagging me. lol). But, as many have predicted, it would seem that this is just another pet project that Google really aren't interested in. The lineup of games is poor and there is no effort in attempting to lure more gamers

I had hoped that it would not be the case given the potentially vast amount of money to be made.

I think I'll give it maybe another 3 months or so. The three-month time included with the bundles is finishing soon so the the next few months will show if they are really interested.

So, tldr: When it works (70-75% of time) it varies between goo and great. When it doesn't it is unplayable. Games list is dull and unchanging and they don't seem interesting in luring more users in.

Wait 6 months to a year before considering it again

Thanks for that!
    You should have no issues running it but you would be better off buying it on steam and using Geforce now for a fiver a month. If you do get a better pc down the line you own the game.

Whats Geforce Now? It's not clear from the website

Thanks for that!

GeForce Now is like the PC version of game streaming.
    You need to own the digital versions of the games that you want to play from other PC storefronts, like Steam, Uplay or Epic. You then pay Nvidia (who operate GeForce Now) for the privilege of running it on a virtual machine and streaming it to your PC/Mobile device. This costs €5.50 p/m.

Stadia is like the console version of game streaming.
    You buy direct from Stadia.
    Play games only from their ecosystem.
    There's no charge for the base level (when it launches) and there's a €10 p/m charge for perks like up to 4k and free monthly games to play.

Hope that helps! :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How's Stadia going for folks that signed up? Haven't heard much about it since launch, is it basically DOA?

Thanks for that!

It basically runs the game on their high end system for you and streams the video. Same principle as Stadia but you own the game on Steam too so could install it if you get a pc that can run it.

They have a free version that let's you try it for 1 hour, you can keep repeating the 1 hour but have to restart each time.

Other wise it is a fiver a month.

If people have games on steam it makes more sense than stadia.

But do double check the game is included first. They don't currently have the ability to stream every game on steam.

Great thanks. I'll give Geforce a try, hopefully it gets through my works firewall.

If I live in a city with none of these data centers, then it's probably better to leave the PC on and stream from that? I'd have 60mb up down anywhere I was with very low ping. 6-10ms maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The only review I needed to see. Plus Tomb Raider on a Walkman TV :pac:

Advertisement