Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭gmg678

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How's Stadia going for folks that signed up? Haven't heard much about it since launch, is it basically DOA?

was founder. sub ran out on the 20th of February . Stadia arrived to me on the 27th of November, has not be turned on since the 29th of November.
    Having tired Xbox game steaming(not X cloud) it is far beyond what stadia has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So I'm going to give it 3 months paid. Just to see if they up their game (No pun intended). But if it doesn't improve then I'm out.

So, from a technical POV I think it is there or there abouts. If you have the bandwidth, when it works, I think it's very good. Not good enough for pro-gamers or those into twitch-reaction-time games like COD but certainly good enough for the vast majority. When it is not good though it is REALLY not good. But this has lessened even in the last couple of weeks.

The most limiting factor for me is the lack of games/cost of games. I think the technology is there for the major players like Microsoft or Sony or Steam/Valve/Whatever to really take this to production.

I know every generation of consoles is heralded as being the last before going stream-only but I do think that it may actually be the case here. Will be interesting to see what the PS5/ Xbox1Xbox1SeriesXbox.... X will do (If anything) to embrace the potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Microsoft and Sony both have much more palatable offers for streaming as you have an eco system. You have a console to play offline, you have the cloud to stream from online, you can network stream console to device in a house.

If Stadia is offering the worst way to play a game it is a very hard sell. If I have a choice I'll buy on series X or PS5 over Stadia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

3 games added to Pro yesterday!

Grid
    SteamWorld Dig 2
    SteamWorld Quest

Anyone paying the sub by carrier billing?
    Did you have your March payment rejected?

Mine was and now I can't pick carrier billing as a payment method! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone paying the sub by carrier billing?
    Did you have your March payment rejected?

Mine was and now I can't pick carrier billing as a payment method! :(

Don't know about this specific case, but I did have issues with Play Music before (insufficient credit), and I had to cancel the sub and restart it to switch back to carrier billing.

Don't know about this specific case, but I did have issues with Play Music before (insufficient credit), and I had to cancel the sub and restart it to switch back to carrier billing.

That was the first thing I checked.
    Sub was €9.99 but I had over €50 in credit.
    In the manage section, it'll no longer allow me to pick "3" as a billing option.

I just singed up to Disney+ on the same account today and had no issues.

It looks like Google have taken away carrier billing as an option for Stadia!

If they did, they can forget about it! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The free version of Stadia launches today.

See here.

Article might be a bit confussed. Their own blog has it as two months of Stadio Pro for free. Then you will be charged 9.99. I guess you do technically roll onto the free one after that if you cancel the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't seem to see it, still looking for premium code from pack.

• Advertisement

I cancelled the pro recently due to the payment issues that I had described in previous posts in the thread!
    When I go into the Stadia app now, I'm being offered the 2 month trial too :)
    Still cannot pay for it with carrier billing, but 2 more free months is pretty cool!

In other words, existing users, if you cancel payment, you should be able to get 2 more months when you re-subscribe!

Existing subs will not be charged, no need to cancel the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CatInABox wrote: »
    The free version of Stadia launches today.

See here.

tenor.gif

Existing subs will not be charged, no need to cancel the sub.

Whoops, sorry about that! :)

But for this thread I'd not know Stadia even existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Bought google stadia this week. Impressed so far. Works well. Question on buying games - say I buy the latest NBA 2K game. Do we've any idea what happens when the 2021 game comes out in six months. Is my purchased game still available or do they just make that unavailable as 2021 version is out? I know its crystal ball stuff but any direction from google/developers on this or any precedent even?

The fact that is even a question is remarkable. "Can I still play something I paid for?'

franglan wrote: »
    Bought google stadia this week. Impressed so far. Works well. Question on buying games - say I buy the latest NBA 2K game. Do we've any idea what happens when the 2021 game comes out in six months. Is my purchased game still available or do they just make that unavailable as 2021 version is out? I know its crystal ball stuff but any direction from google/developers on this or any precedent even?

You keep the 2020 version, if you want 2021you need to buy that but you can still play 2020 for a few years. They prob will remove it when numbers get down to under 200 people playing it.

The fact that is even a question is remarkable. "Can I still play something I paid for?'

I think it's a reasonable one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Has there been any mention of when or if stadia might come to other devices like other phones or fire stick or TV apps?

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    I think it's a reasonable one!

How much was the game?

How much was the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

Signed up last week andand more than happy. Have a solid FTTH connection with low latency so the performance has been A1. I wouldn't be a competitive gamer, so the service suits me to perfectly.

Although watching Sonys release PS5 release last week, the bar has been raised for Stadia to get some quality titles.
    DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of when or if stadia might come to other devices like other phones or fire stick or TV apps?

Work is happening on supporting other Android phones, although the official list is still limited. https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-google-stadia-on-your-smartphone

I wouldnt expect support for Amazon Fire TV/Stick anytime soon. The new Chromecast Ultra (or what ever it is to be named) is essentially going to include a remote & Android TV (possibly also to be renamed Google TV) so will be a direct competitor to Amazons Stick.

https://9to5google.com/2020/03/10/exclusive-2nd-gen-chromecast-ultra-android-tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Actually just paid for a month of it there. I want to play the new Panzer Dragoon remake and it's the cheapest option as it's free with their Pro Tier.

There's actually a decent selection of free games included, Nazi Zombie Army 4, Tumper, all the Steam World games, GRID.

It mostly works too. I'm playing on a Surface Go, and it's never going to have the horsepower to play current game natively, but I don't have to worry about the internals and it's all remote. Works well on my S10E phone too, but I still don't think I'd actually buy games on their ecosystem, especially when I can get them elsewhere on console for cheaper.

I'll cancel after this month, but will keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

Google have changed their pricing.

"Stadia Premiere Edition is now €99.99. Instead of including a code for Stadia Pro in Premiere Edition, new users can get Stadia Pro for free by signing up at Stadia.com.

So €30 cheaper but no free PRO trial. However you get 1 month free Pro trail as a new sign up regardless and all new & existing Pro uses haver €10 coupon.

Given I paid €129 with the 3 month trail, I think I'm effectively worse off by a tenner....

6pm today for the latest Connect event.
    I'm hoping that the upcoming uplay+ through Stadia is announced :)

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1281634352305074176

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They need to announce a crap ton of new games really. There's still less than 100 games on the platform and Ubisoft aside, very few developers seem to be even remotely interested.

They need to announce a crap ton of new games really. There's still less than 100 games on the platform and Ubisoft aside, very few developers seem to be even remotely interested.

Well, they need to start getting out games form their other partners for sure!
    EA announced as a partner at the end of April, hopefully this connect shows something on that.

EA Access and Uplay+ could put a lot of "free" games on the platform that people want to play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I only care about Orcs Must Die 3 news. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I tried this for the first time today, signed up for the free trial and was playing my PS4 character within minutes. The pricing is crazy but the tech is very impressive, if you have the internet speed of course.

Advertisement