Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭radius345

Anyone try out the new PRO games for January?

One of the first months in a while where I didn't have any of the games (albeit played the first Darkside Detective).

Will definitely give DD:A Fumble in the Dark a spin and am hearing good things about Bloodstained albeit not usually the type of game I go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

I have pro and looking for a new game rec. Just finished Sniper 4. Loved it. Really enjoy stealth games. Have played Hitman too and loved it. 

I don't play online or multiplayer. But like adventure/sandbox games (cyberpunk, rdr2, fallout, hzd, mafia etc). 

Considering Ark but want your suggestions too. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Decent month for PRO with Shantae and Bloodstained being worth the price of admission alone. Always kind of bounced off Darksiders as it's generic to an almost knowing degree.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The Watchdog games are quite good and theyre cheap at the minute as well. They fit the stadia well for just pick up and play type games.

https://www.theverge.com/22862814/samsung-2022-tv-geforce-now-stadia-nvidia-google-utomik-cloud-gaming

Good to see Stadia being rolled out to even more TV's for 2022. I think this is a critical step in making cloud gaming more appealing to the casual gamer. Having only just bought a Sony TV with the Stadia for Android TV app built in I can see the convenience in having a game ready to go in a matter of seconds - it's just so handy. And no messing about with HDMI cables and whatnot.

The big TV hitters are starting to push the cloud gaming side of things more - LG, Samsung, TCL, HiSense, Sony etc.

All in all, good for us as gamers and consumers.

• Advertisement

Stadia Pro lineup for February has been announced.

✅Cosmic Star Heroine

✅Nanotale

✅Merek's Market

✅Phogs

✅One Hand Clapping

✅Life is Strange

✅Life is Strange: Before The Storm

Seven games is great going, the most in one month on Pro I would wager?

Few new games announced too so finally they are starting to kick into gear for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Half the world was stuck at home for the last 2 years. I would have thought google stadia should have grown its user base considerably during that time as a relatively cheap way to play games. But I wonder how much of Google’s reputation for just shutting down services hurt them.

I bought it for Cyberpunk on release but the game was crap and I didn’t see the appeal of the service over my PlayStation despite the obvious cost difference.

can’t see it lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Xbox series s plus gamepass is a much better value, especially if you do the conversion of live gold to gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I guess they are hitting back at eurogamer with the below tweets? 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭wassie

Rententions seems to be a big issue. I know myself I will drop in for a couple of months then Im out. Ive been more than happy using the free service for the games I have purchased. Will be interesting to see how it plays out as I don't see it dead yet, but obviously their is a significant change in strategy. This could actually end up benefiting gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Are we sure those reports are accurate? I'm not seeing anyone talk about it on Google+ or Google Hangouts.

The tech works, of that there is no doubt. It is ridiculously easy to setup and play on Stadia and there is a reasonable library at this stage.

There is a fear on Google's behalf to invest properly in Stadia and the promotion and advertising of it has been absolutely abysmal. A start up could market itself better. They just haven't scaled up at the level they need to and they really only have themselves to blame.

Personally I will continue to play on it, no way am I investing in an XBox/PS5, I am too casual a gamer for that level of investment.

I think it will continue into the future but there is no doubt the landscape for it has changed now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Stadia has been a colossal flop and is all but doomed to be dumped by Google. Every public signal is that there’s less and less effort being put into the service, at least from a consumer side. Even that tweet they put out is vague and half-assed. The reports about its current status definitely seem to track with what we’re seeing publicly.

This is not the same as saying the tech doesn’t work, or that streaming won’t play a major part of games in the future. It’s just this particular product, from this particular company, is seemingly in a total nosedive (from a low starting altitude). The tech might stick around in some form, but I’d be amazed if Stadia the consumer product has much of a future ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭onform

On the subject of retention, I'm surprised Google don't offer the choice of an upfront annual subscription for a lower per month price than the monthly €9.99 rate. Eg. €70 for a 12 month sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They certainly have made mistakes. The games are not PC games, it's their own platform so they need to be ported over which costs money for Devs/publishers. Something they are reluctant to do for a platform with a small player base, but also to players that are likely early adopters so likely to have a PC, Xbox and a PS, and likely to already own that game, so unlikely to double dip.

The initial launch into a paid subscription, where you then had to buy games on top of the monthly sub, often at a higher price than on other platforms, was off putting.

By the time the free model arrived it had a reputation as something that was failing, not helped with Google's history of shutting things down, their lack of advertising (or even explaining it's free), then they closed their studios and lost lots of talent and any planned exclusives.

You would think it would be pretty simple for a company with hundreds of millions of users to get a massive install base. It's just a free app on your phone that gives you Gen 5 quality games. Especially when the PS5 and Xbox are still so hard to get.

The tech is pretty amazing and I think in the new work from home model it has potential for development. Even something as simple as having 100 QA people testing is so much more easy and cost effective to have them open a chrome browser and start testing without any download. Than it is to buy 100 Dev kits and have them all down load a new 40-60gb build every time you push an update.

They are looking to offer Stadia as a service to other companies. So I do see long term growth it prob won't be in the current form.

I think the recent news of striking deals with Capcom and Bungie to use the tech themselves as a sign of things to come is a bit misleading.

Capcom and Bungie already have their games on Stadia. Resident Evil 7&8 and Destiny 2 are big games on the platform already.

If they offered the players the chance to play from their own websites it's little more than embedding the stadia portal that is already running on Google Chrome. Rather than a big deal to take on the technology themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Shame the Stadia didn't have a AAA exclusive game. Feel it would have helped the platform.

They also need to increase the quality to compete, the Nvidia Geforce now 3080 tier is well ahead and plays real PC games from Steam, epic and uplay stores, no lock-in. I've had both GFN and Stadia at the same time and at one stage stadia was the better platform, better quality and better CPU, no longer the case

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

While I like geforce now you still need to actually own the games or pay for them which is why I find stadia better.

For 9.99 a month and you get some decent games if you never have to spend another penny.

Personally I use Stadia more then GFN - actually use stadia more than my XB or Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ablelocks

new to stadia, but not sure i'll be paying €10 a month - can subs be set up in another cheaper country and still allow access here?

Not that I know of but the first month is free and there is a Lenovo sign up thing that gets you another 3 months free. 4 months free is enough time to see if the tenner is worth it.

March PRO Games have been announced. Three games new to Stadia included with a couple I've been meaning to check out.

Overall, a solid month. 52 games included in PRO now (three leaving in next few weeks).

MARCH PRO GAMES

Dawn of the Monsters

Adam Wolfe

Race with Ryan: Road Trip Deluxe Edition

Darkwood

Darksiders Genesis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

How have they not added the biggest game of the year Elden Ring onto stadia or do they plan to later?

I assumed all multiplat games went on it but have my mate onto me wondering if he should pick up a series X or S up to play it

You would be hoping it will eventually come to Stadia, a huge game like that is perfectly suited to Stadia also in terms of rollout of patches.

In a perfect world a Stadia version is being worked on but is taking longer to roll out but I highly doubt it is coming to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I assumed that google paid a huge premium to developers to bring over the AAA games like Sekiro/RDR2 (Millions...$$$$).

And now the upper management at google has put a stop to any large expenditure like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Six months of Stadia for just over €20. Bargain!!

Look on Gamivo.com and do a search for Stadia.

(Boards won’t parse a direct link correctly for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭wassie

Great deal.

Showing as 'Out of stock' now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Advertisement