Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

awec wrote: »
    I'd be a lot more excited for this if it was Microsoft or Sony.

This is the future, but it's long term really. We've seen from the local-only streaming options on xbox, playstation and steam that even the slightest amount of input lag makes games unplayable.

The 4k 60fps stuff sounds like pure pie in the sky.

That's my thought as well - I've recently discovered the limitations of Steam remote play, especially in terms of image quality.

Basically, games with big & wide environments, like FPS, you can get away with it. Games representing small details, there is a slight but noticeable loss in quality - PES 2020, for example, looks blurry and washed away.

This is with the game running at 1080p, streamed through gigabit ethernet (cabled) from one room to the other, and upscaled on a 4k TV. If I run the game directly on the laptop, still at 1080p, connected to the same TV, it looks normal. If I try to run the game in 4K on the main gaming PC and stream it, it chugs and drops frames (runs at steady 60fps with the screen connected directly). Testing the network with iPerf, there is a steady 900~ mbps connection between the two computers.

I can't imagine it working "perfectly" through the internet. Compromises will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Google may be a juggernaut but the fact is most of their products fail. Catalogs, wave, google plus, answers, notebook, google video (not youtube, they bought that) etc. Their only good product that they're not famous for was reader and they killed that themselves. Stadia could be a relative success or be a niche service that some enjoy but gets dropped if it's not up to their email, data storage or search engine levels of adoption.

I'd say the same normally, but with them founding a gaming studio, I reckon they are in it for the mid term at least (5-6 years) before reconsidering.

You'd hope that if they called it quits then that they'd have a compensation program for the digital goods, kind of like UltraViolet recently who shut down but gave me free copies of the movies I had from Google Play instead :)
    Microsoft's Xcloud coming to Game Pass Ultimate with all new games launching on it really leave Stadia with a mountain to climb.

Absolutely great service and I can't wait for it to come to PC.
    Mobile screens are just too small for my awful vision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Money taken from my account today. No code yet but hopefully not too long.

Money taken from my account today. No code yet but hopefully not too long.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it when it's up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I'm strongly considering cancelling my order, I already use Nvidia GeForce Now and that covers the gaming needs for my son and me. And at least if I cancel GeForce Now (whenever Nvidia start charging for it) I still own the games on Steam.

• Advertisement

I'm strongly considering cancelling my order, I already use Nvidia GeForce Now and that covers the gaming needs for my son and me. And at least if I cancel GeForce Now (whenever Nvidia start charging for it) I still own the games on Steam.

How does that nvidia thing work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm considering cancelling this myself but at the same time I'm interested to see does it actually work at all!

I have been mulling it over though, I've a PS4 Pro, Switch, a PC about 2 years old and I'm half only getting it as I want the controller and I'm a bit of a Google fanboy

I don't really need this at all, but at the same time it has me interested!

How does that nvidia thing work?

It's in beta at the moment so it's been free for months, though they used to charge for it.

I play it on my Nvidia Shield, with the controller I got with it. Has a limited number of free games, and the rest you buy in Steam (not everything is supported). Games are streamed to the Shield, much like how Statia should work.

I have no other gaming machine (besides for a Wii), but I'll y only really interested in F1 games and my son in Lego games.

It's in beta at the moment so it's been free for months, though they used to charge for it.

I play it on my Nvidia Shield, with the controller I got with it. Has a limited number of free games, and the rest you buy in Steam (not everything is supported). Games are streamed to the Shield, much like how Statia should work.

I have no other gaming machine (besides for a Wii), but I'll y only really interested in F1 games and my son in Lego games.

I used to find geForce Now pretty good, but haven't used it in ages. The other day the kids decided they wanted to play Lego Incredibles on the Shield, and the game just got stuck on queuing. This is the kind of thing that would concern me with Stadia.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I used to find geForce Now pretty good, but haven't used it in ages. The other day the kids decided they wanted to play Lego Incredibles on the Shield, and the game just got stuck on queuing. This is the kind of thing that would concern me with Stadia.

Since it became free it's become much busier, especially since they added a client for other platforms. I don't usually have to wait more than a minute or two. But yes, it is something that would concern me if I was paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Money taken from my account today too. Estimated delivery time has improved by a day. So should have it in my hands by Friday at the latest. Looking forward to testing it out.

An authorisation has been taken on my credit card too, even though my delivery date isn't until 27-28th.
    Probably just a funds check.

Either way, I found out from an IGN unboxing video earlier that the optional wall plug for the Chromecast Ultra comes with an ethernet adapter.
    This is great as this would literally suck balls over WiFi, like project xCloud beta that I'm in.
    With everything hard wired to the modem, I'm much happier about this than I ever was until today :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    An authorisation has been taken on my credit card too, even though my delivery date isn't until 27-28th.
    Probably just a funds check.

Either way, I found out from an IGN unboxing video earlier that the optional wall plug for the Chromecast Ultra comes with an ethernet adapter.
    This is great as this would literally suck balls over WiFi, like project xCloud beta that I'm in.
    With everything hard wired to the modem, I'm much happier about this than I ever was until today :)

Mine is gonna have to be over wifi, but my wifi is fairly good. Usually doesn't dip below 15 mbs and is regularly in the mid 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mine is gonna have to be over wifi, but my wifi is fairly good. Usually doesn't dip below 15 mbs and is regularly in the mid 20's.

Is that good enough? I know it's not like for like but Nvidia Geforce Now say a recommended minimum of 25 Mbit for their game streaming service. I have Ethernet on a Shield with 90/20 Mbit and get some lag at times. I certainly couldn't like to have it on WiFi.

Is that good enough? I know it's not like for like but Nvidia Geforce Now say a recommended minimum of 25 Mbit for their game streaming service. I have Ethernet on a Shield with 90/20 Mbit and get some lag at times. I certainly couldn't like to have it on WiFi.

They claim 10 is the minimum required so I have a decent bit of wiggle room with it.
    I see they've announced 10 more launch titles this morning. Pads out the list a bit better now.

I reckon you'd have to use this over ethernet cable to get a decent experience even if they do say wifi is an option.
    Just can't see it working that great .

I reckon you'd have to use this over ethernet cable to get a decent experience even if they do say wifi is an option.
    Just can't see it working that great .

Will let ya know on Friday :)

Yeah, for me it has to be Ethernet as WiFi is fúcking shocking in my place for ping/jitter it's the concrete in the walls and floors from what I can gather.

I've played PS Now and Steam link with wires in the past and it's been fine, so as long as I can plug the CC Ultra into Ethernet, I'll be laughing :)

I'm guessing that most people would be okay over WiFi, but it depends on numerous factors!

I'm looking forward to hearing about how well it runs. If it does take off then i think this will be the future of gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

They claim 10 is the minimum required so I have a decent bit of wiggle room with it.
    I see they've announced 10 more launch titles this morning. Pads out the list a bit better now.

Your upload speed would be a more important figure, it's usually only about one eighth of your download speed depending on your package

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you're close to the router then 5G might do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Your upload speed would be a more important figure, it's usually only about one eighth of your download speed depending on your package

Why would upload speed be more important for something like Stadia?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

To send the commands you're inputting from your controller...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shiminay wrote: »

Upload speed won't affect that as much as ping I would have thought.

Shiminay wrote: »

I would've assumed that would work no differently than playing an online game currently on PS4/Xbox? You're still sending your inputs to whatever server that online game is hosted on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

correction wrote: »
    I would've assumed that would work no differently than playing an online game currently on PS4/Xbox? You're still sending your inputs to whatever server that online game is hosted on.

Well, you're now sending commands to the game over the internet as opposed to sending the result of those commands so it's going to be more work for your connection and your ISP.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Well, you're now sending commands to the game over the internet as opposed to sending the result of those commands so it's going to be more work for your connection and your ISP.

Ah yes, hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. I'm very interested to see how it plays out. You think it has to be the future one way or another but this may be a shot too soon.

Think my upload is steady enough between 7 and 10 so that should be more than enough too.
    Will be testing this out tomorrow on the laptop with my Nintendo Switch Pro Controller so will get some idea then as to how it all works. Only 8 hours to go. The system is supposed to go live at 12 tonight. My boss is interested to see how it all works too so might have it going at lunchtime tomorrow yet at work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe it has been covered already in the thread, as I'm fairly late to this particularly party, but is there any suspicion this might change some ISPs data usage policies? I've read estimates suggesting Stadia could conceivably use up to 20gigs per hour. I don't have any cap with my BB but jayyyyysus I wouldn't blame Virgin for suddenly taking a look at my usage either. A lazy weekend could rack up a serious looking number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Serious data usage so not for those with a data cap.

Advertisement