Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge Freezer problems

Options
  • 20-03-2019 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi all, we bought a Kenwood KSBSX17 Fridge Freezer from Currys PC World at the end of December 2017.

About 3 weeks ago it started making a loud noise. It sounds like a lawnmower with a knocking noise. I called Currys and they told me to get an engineer out and a report and they will send it onto their knowhow team. I got an engineer out and he said it was the evaporating fan causing the noise and it is off centre.

So I sent in the engineers report and invoice to Currys knowhow team and they came back to advise it is physical damage so they won't cover it. There was no way we caused any damage the fridge as it hasn't been moved since we got it. The noise and knocking were intermittent at the start and then was constant until we turned the fridge off fully so I would imagine it is a manufacturing fault.

Do we have any recourse from retailer/manufacturer or do we just have to stomach it as it is just out of warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

sounds like a broken bearing in the fan - it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sugarman wrote: »
    Its not out of warranty if it was purchased in December 2017. EU warranty is 2 years for electrical goods. Theyre trying to fob you off.

The "EU warranty" doesn't exist in Irish law. The existing consumer protection was deemed sufficient; allowing 6 years recourse for manufacturing defects.

If the engineering report didn't indicate that it was caused by damage/misuse, have Currys given a reasoning for how they came to this decision? If they haven't seen it they can't make that decision really.

If the report doesn't state damage I'd send a registered letter to Currys Irish HQ pointing out the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services legislation protection for manufacturing defects. This is sometimes sufficient to get a fix.

However, if its a cheap repair part, I'd probably just get it repaired myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Cheers for the advice folks.

I sent in pictures with the engineers report. The engineer advised that the motor and fan need to be replaced as they are connected as one part.

The guy in the knowhow team has interpreted the report to say it is accidental damage that has caused the problem. So we are having a bit of a stand off over the cause of the issue.

Advertisement