Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kent Station

Options
  • 20-03-2019 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Do you think the new Kent Station Bus departure area at the back of the newly constructed area at the back off the station takes further to walk to and get wet in the rain ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

raydar wrote: »
    Do you think the new Kent Station Bus departure area at the back of the newly constructed area at the back off the station takes further to walk to and get wet in the rain ?

Where are you coming and going from? Very little distance between covered bus stop and entrance to underpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's about a 10 seconds walk from the entrance to the bus shelter. Jaysus you'd swear it was an epic trek across Antarctica.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Really? Those 10 seconds must be tough for you in the rain. Maybe jog and the 10 seconds becomes 5 seconds!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd say it isn't any farther from the new walkway entrance than the bus-stop on the Lower Road is from the front entrance. Quite a good setup I think, I took the 205 from Bishopstown in there a couple of months back to take a train to Limerick Junction. It was like rolling out of bed and onto the train. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If it's an issue, wait in the glass areas at the top of the stairs and move out to the bus when it comes.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'd say it isn't any farther from the new walkway entrance than the bus-stop on the Lower Road is from the front entrance. Quite a good setup I think, I took the 205 from Bishopstown in there a couple of months back to take a train to Limerick Junction. It was like rolling out of bed and onto the train. :pac:

When Horgan's Quay and Penrose Dock are finished, they'll be some places to work. Walk out of the office, and you have bus stop outside, train station across the road (and the city centre a 5 minute walk away if needed). Handy out!

who_me wrote: »
    When Horgan's Quay and Penrose Dock are finished, they'll be some places to work. Walk out of the office, and you have bus stop outside, train station across the road (and the city centre a 5 minute walk away if needed). Handy out!

Agreed. Be great location to work! Beats soulless places like Little island or the Airport business park for sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭raydar

The Horgan side is wonderful , with all that development and Doclands should shine beautifully ,,,,,i maybe took the wrong exit to bus , i left train and walked down slope and followed bus arrows to lift and arrived a distance to new bus shelter , or there must be a quicker way ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's something like 30 metres from the lift to the bus stop.

Agreed. Be great location to work! Beats soulless places like Little island or the Airport business park for sure!!

Don't be too hard on the ABP - it's up in the pastoral bliss of Lehenagh More/Ballygarvan, looking down over the city from over 500 feet. On a good day it's beautiful up there. I agree that Little Island is a hell-hole. :D

• Advertisement

It's something like 30 metres from the lift to the bus stop.

Have you ever thought for a second that I may have a physical impairment ,

My primary motor cortex that generates neural impulses that control the execution of my movements dosnt work as well as yours .

I was talking to a blind person he needed help , said one has to beg for help in this city , the uncaring self absorbed attitunde is rampant

I'd be better off moving back to Coventry as there not obsessed about Money , it's also about quality of living .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'd be better off moving back to Coventry as there not obsessed about Money , it's also about quality of living .

You were pretty scathing about the city in another thread as well. You really don't sound happy here so perhaps you should consider leaving for the good of your own well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

How could the poster possibly have known this?

Do we need to assume unless told otherwise that every poster has a physical disability?
    How about mental disabilities?
    Or perhaps anxiety disorders?

My primary motor cortex that generates neural impulses that control the execution of my movements dosnt work as well as yours .

I was talking to a blind person he needed help , said one has to beg for help in this city , the uncaring self absorbed attitunde is rampant

Lol you're a complete bluffer.
    First off, most people above me have been far more scathing than I have about your attitude.

Secondly, the 30m at the back of the train station is roughly the same distance as the 30m at the front of the train station, just in a different place: another miracle of the metric system.

What do you know about my primary motor cortex? Stop being so presumptuous.

Lastly, I suggest that you contact the train station before you travel if you DO have any mobility or visual impairment issues, as they're usually willing and quite helpful, in my experience.
    There's no need to beg whatsoever: we should always expect and demand a good level of service for all public transport users in this country.

I coach people with disabilities , as usual I get a disgruntled and a disconcerted attitude from ye lot , who always need to lead and never question or try to understand ,

Ye are not that great , my other post was overheated , I was helping a wheelchair user who's belongings got stolen from his lap . Also had previously been assualted all out of defence ,

I coach people with disabilities , as usual I get a disgruntled and a disconcerted attitude from ye lot , who always need to lead and never question or try to understand ,

Ye are not that great , my other post was overheated , I was helping a wheelchair user who's belongings got stolen from his lap . Also had previously been assualted all out of defence ,

Nah I'm bored of this now.

OP, you spend all your time looking to be persecuted, don't you. Good luck with that. 'Goose out. :D:D:D

If you have a disabilities , it's like you defend yourself for been a cheat and nuasance

ye are fed up and I can't blame ye ,

Here theres too many people whose entire self worth is dependent on the job market ,

Why are peoples rights the last thing on this governments mind it's because this country is serving the interest of domestic and foreign capital over the welfare of its citizens ,

To any posters who got lhammered by my posts I'm sorry ok I don't mean to cause harm or insult , but the previous pile up of overnegative experiences that I felt was like I deserve it and expected to carry it ,

There's a lot of thoughtfull, Friendly and interesting and optimistic people here , but theres a huge amount that I would not risk getting to know ,

Anyway getting back to Kent Station , it looks great and with the new report on setting about with Cork City taking control over its own public transport , that is positive .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I think it's a tricky enough trip from the bus to the main concourse.

I've seen lots of people get confused, either as they leave the bus and fail to spot the stairs, or in the subway itself at the branch for platform 5.

All that is before you get to the main station area and have people trying to get to platform 5 through the barrier gates for 1-4. (why they can't have the barriers just not open for them is beyond me but anyway).

I think the signage throughout the station and car parks leaves a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement

Yes I was trying to observe the new directions without judgement but I was left feeling puzzled , maybe the planning of the new structure was within limits so as to preserve the older layout .

Hueston got M&S and SuperMacs etc , do ye think more take away outlets could be added to Kent as the quikie canteen style offering is on the train too , outside the station there are no real offering of a full brunch /dinner ,
    Where the bar used to be did offer carvery ,
    All that area could be developed

deRanged wrote: »
    I think it's a tricky enough trip from the bus to the main concourse.

I've seen lots of people get confused, either as they leave the bus and fail to spot the stairs, or in the subway itself at the branch for platform 5.

All that is before you get to the main station area and have people trying to get to platform 5 through the barrier gates for 1-4. (why they can't have the barriers just not open for them is beyond me but anyway).

I think the signage throughout the station and car parks leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah, I agree. Having 'bus' and 'taxi' signs in the underpass is unhelpful, it should also have "Horgan's Quay" and "Lower Glanmire Road" (or River-side / Hill-side etc.).

It's also a bit of a shame that even if you enter from Horgan's Quay and buy your ticket in the underpass, you still have to go up onto the far platform, into the main building, through the stiles, and then back out onto the platform. So you're not really saving any time by doing so.

Yes indeed also I think the planners did offer the blueprint to the public before the final outcome .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes I was trying to observe the new directions without judgement but I was left feeling puzzled , maybe the planning of the new structure was within limits so as to preserve the older layout .

Hueston got M&S and SuperMacs etc , do ye think more take away outlets could be added to Kent as the quikie canteen style offering is on the train too , outside the station there are no real offering of a full brunch /dinner ,

Going to be a hotel there in the next year. Currently under construction.

That will be good as some leave the train , they may decide on a late evening meal surrounded in gentle luxuries and peace and rest looking over the river and hopefully the Docklands will arrive with the Lighrail , there is potential here .

Not in the station but there is a great new Cafe that's opened up opposite the front entrance. Food is decent and good service.

As im healthy and It's Vegan and very healthy and tempting , it would be a great in the station .

As im healthy and It's Vegan and very healthy and tempting , it would be a great in the station .

I forgot about the vegan place as well. There's another much newer one I think called Lab 82. Opened few months ago and worth a visit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm enjoying the walk to Kent via Horgan's Quay, never really liked the LGR way.

Not sure if it's any quicker from the city centre though. I might try timing both walks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the walk to Kent via Horgan's Quay, never really liked the LGR way.

Not sure if it's any quicker from the city centre though. I might try timing both walks.

I'm enjoying it as well. Don't go the old way any more. There's probably not a whole lot in the distance, Horgan's Quay may be a minute or 2 faster.

Advertisement