Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Alan Partridge sings IRA ballad live on BBC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Are any of you aware that 90% of the British people won't know who the black and tans are...

Yea, i was visiting family in England for a few days years ago and when were out a lad we were talking to was asking us about Irish history.

My oh was talking about how bad the Black and Tans were and before he could continue and explain that the name was because of their uniforms, the English fella stopped, put his hands up and said 'whoah whoah whoah I'm not racist' :pac: it was actually quite Alan Partridgeish!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This thread has me seriously wondering about the state of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I love the way there is still comedians out there willing to push the boundaries. The irony in this is that BBC have become this 'woke', PC, diversity obsessed, broadcaster so its strange that they sanctioned it.

This wasn't crossing boundaries... The English don't know Irish history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

english-students-studying-the-entirety-of-their-countrys-history-are-41715163.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Spook_ie wrote: »
    You do realise he's not a real person?

Hes good on the radio. I’ve never heard him live though, just the documentaries. I think he’s not a great tv interviewer though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I love the way there is still comedians out there willing to push the boundaries. The irony in this is that BBC have become this 'woke', PC, diversity obsessed, broadcaster so its strange that they sanctioned it.

Do you watch the BBC at all? It was funny as f**k, but hardly pushing boundaries for the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Funny that it was shown before news at 10 on bbc, but Rod Stewart wasn't allowed to sing Grace.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0929/998882-rod-stewart-not-even-thinking-about-retirement/

Twitter got mildly upset about Alan Partridge, some were funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Was that supposed to be funny? An Englishman in Paddyface singing about the British? It's not 1974 any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

He had the south Sligo accent nailed to be fair.

Not the first time he played a character close to that (maybe exactly that actually)
    He played a guy in Moone boy that was a greasy west of Ireland character. Same accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I really don't know if people are being serious when they post some comments.

So you agree with me. Partridge shot a guest on his show with his own gun.

I've been inspired to visit Norwich numerous times thanks to Alan. Wonderful spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I've been inspired to visit Norwich numerous times thanks to Alan. Wonderful spot.

It's got a cracking owl sanctuary :)

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Was that supposed to be funny? An Englishman in Paddyface singing about the British? It's not 1974 any more.

If he was a sportsman (mainly soccer) he would qualify as Irish.

Liam Gallagher tells a story about meeting him at a wedding (presumably mayo as he does an accent in parts of the story), where it sounds like they got good and wrecked :)

Proud of his Irish roots, as it has been embedded in him from a young age. His mother would have done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Also big up to his PA Lynn. Who stuck beside him through thick and thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

That Sligo guy really looked like Alan, though he had different teeth.

I don’t really see Alan partridge as a very good interviewer though, although people rave about him.

Well played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Suckit wrote: »
    If he was a sportsman (mainly soccer) he would qualify as Irish.

Liam Gallagher tells a story about meeting him at a wedding (presumably mayo as he does an accent in parts of the story), where it sounds like they got good and wrecked :)

Proud of his Irish roots, as it has been embedded in him from a young age. His mother would have done that.

He's more Irish than the Edge.
    His mother is Irish-born, from County Mayo, and his father is of Irish descent

The Edge:
    David Howell Evans was born at the Barking Maternity Hospital,[2] in the county of Essex in England, on 8 August 1961. He is the second child of Welsh parents Garvin and Gwenda Evans,[1] both of whom originated from Llanelli, a coastal town in South Wales.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Suckit wrote: »

Probably with a big wooden spoon and a Brenda Fricker look.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Probably with a big wooden spoon and a Brenda Fricker look.

No issues with that.
    Not mad keen on the glammed up, 'I'll try and ride your friends' Irish mammy that's been floating around the last decade+.

Edit - Here's a Liam Gallagher interview where he also references the wedding - https://youtu.be/QPTkbaq7mUY?t=232

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Birneybau wrote: »

well...
    Adam Charles Clayton, the oldest child of Brian and Jo Clayton, was born on 13 March 1960 in Chinnor, Oxfordshire, England. His father was a pilot with the Royal Air Force, who moved into civil aviation, and his mother was a former airline stewardess.[4] When he was 4 years old, Clayton's father worked in Kenya as a pilot with East African Airways,[4] the family being resident in Nairobi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Needles to say, Martin had the last laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

That was actually a genuine Alan Partridge lookalike.
    Martin Brennan is a well known farmer from Drumcliffe in Sligo he is a well known character in the area.
    Steve Coogan heard about him and invited him on the show

• Advertisement

Martin Brennan is a well known farmer from Drumcliffe in Sligo he is a well known character in the area.

He desreves a career in impersonating Alun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Also big up to his PA Lynn. Who stuck beside him through thick and thin.

Lynn doesn't want to be part of your sex festival, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Given that he has played similar characters years ago, and on the BBC, I think that boundary was pushed years ago. As for the criticism of them being so PC brigade etc. I think a lot of that comes from people who don't like that tastes have changed. There's plenty of Jim Davidson videos on Youtube to cater for them.

kowloon wrote: »
    Given that he has played similar characters years ago, and on the BBC, I think that boundary was pushed years ago. As for the criticism of them being so PC brigade etc. I think a lot of that comes from people who don't like that tastes have changed. There's plenty of Jim Davidson videos on Youtube to cater for them.

Well Tony Hayers would never have allowed this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I live in the next village. I've had many a pint with Martin. Great crack when he's had a few.

Ipso wrote: »
    Well Tony Hayers would never have allowed this.

I had to look that one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I quite liked that crime investigation show that started as an Alan Partridge spin-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SligoSean

B0jangles wrote: »
    I quite liked that crime investigation show that started as an Alan Partridge spin-off.

Crash! Bang! Wallop!

Even had a great title, details again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

why wasn't he mentioned in the ending credits and Daniel Craig lookalike was?

the credits mention "Irish Band" Kevin Boyle,Paul Brennan,Steve Brown and Dermot Crehan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

SligoSean wrote: »
    Crash! Bang! Wallop!

Even had a great title, details again.

Back of the net!

I was thinking of:

TTShYsm.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Birneybau wrote: »

The Edge:

:D:D:D

The Edge is fine...

This wasn't crossing boundaries... The English don't know Irish history

Thats true. One of the English actresses from the RTE series Rebellion spoke of how aghast she was at learning about Britains role in Irelands history while she was researching her part and she said ''Well we weren't thought this in school'' :D

kowloon wrote: »

Yes, but the BBC have become fairly sanitised since Alan Partridges original run. You only have to look at the dreadful remakes of great comedies and the likes of Two pints of lager to see what constitutes 'comedy' today. Aside from the Office and Extras, there has been some almighty howlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

One of the English actresses from the RTE series Rebellion spoke of how aghast she was at learning about Britains role in Irelands history while she was researching her part and she said ''Well we weren't thought this in school'' :D

We cannot really complain about how history is taught in other countries when you look at how many of us were indoctrinated in school here to hate England, and to blame them for everything. Even in the 60's and 70's and 80's when there was huge emigration to Britain, and many Irish got jobs over there.
    From my schooldays I can still see the posters of the brave 1916 patriots on the wall, and recall the anti-English rhetoric, but we were not told of the 210,000 Irishmen who volunteered to serve in British uniforms in WW1, or 120,000 Irishmen volunteered in WW2. History can be taught quite one sided. We were told the IRA were grand lads but no mention of the murder of thirteen Protestants in West Cork in April 1922 or other such acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

Good thread!

and some funny reminders of classic partridge lines from some devotees on here.

i found the segment immensely funny- the funniest part for me was the turn in martins eye.
    that,combined with the cheap suit, slight comb-over and protruding teeth were classic- and the accent was spot on as mentioned before

cant believe we heard men behind the wire on the BBC !

Double o feckin bollix indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I don’t really see Alan partridge as a very good interviewer though, although people rave about him.
    Partridge has had a very successful career on the BBC, Radio Norwich, North Norfolk Digital and of course with “Skirmish”, a military-based general knowledge quiz show on digital cable channel UK Conquest.

Let's not forget that Alan was the first presenter to point out that Bono, owner of the country's largest collection of hatchbacks, as well as a house full of red rope and plastic fruit, is mentally ill.

Compare this with the output of Cliff Thorburn, who is not, primarily, a presenter. He is a snooker – ex-snooker player – and is an unknown quantity!

By the way, "Skirmish" has the largest audience share for a digital channel at that time of day, in the Norfolk area.

Needless to say Alan has had the last laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

Love Partridges horror at the thought of going to Sligo.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

janfebmar wrote: »
    We cannot really complain about how history is taught in other countries ... YAWN ... or other such acts.
    You forgot to point out that Dublin is where the IRA make the bombs and Martin McGuinness looks like a clown without makeup.

why wasn't he mentioned in the ending credits and Daniel Craig lookalike was?

the credits mention "Irish Band" Kevin Boyle,Paul Brennan,Steve Brown and Dermot Crehan

He's very shy.

• Advertisement

Yes, but the BBC have become fairly sanitised since Alan Partridges original run. You only have to look at the dreadful remakes of great comedies and the likes of Two pints of lager to see what constitutes 'comedy' today. Aside from the Office and Extras, there has been some almighty howlers

I'd add Life's Too Short to the list with The Office and Extras.
    I definitely don't watch as many BBC comedies as I used to, but like most people, I'm not confined to a handful of channels anymore. The good stuff is spread out over a load of competing channels and the likes of Netflix and Amazon.
    BBC Three was closed (moved online) and with it went a portion of their original comedy. It's all still out there, but now it's mixed in with 900 channels of reality tv and other cheaper to produce filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

He not only nails the accent (skip to 1:26 onwards), he's mastered the mannerism of the rural Irish bachelor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nobody needs to explain to me that it's not real and it's fully scripted and it took hours and hours to record etc but its still surprising that the BBC saw fit to allow IRA songs be broadcast.
    It's good that they would see the humour but I would have thought there would have been a blanket NO for such a sketch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Right, I'll tell you an anecdote. In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo! I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter fame. He said, "You jammy bastard" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!" Needless to say, I had the last laugh, now fuck off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

How did they do the wonky eye on him? That was a good touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Alan Partridge - Martin Brennan is a perfect microcosm of Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Funny how many people are astonished about his accuracy with the accent or his knowledge of Anglo-Irish dynamics, his parents are as Irish as our's are, there's an weird notion that if someone of Irish parentage is born in England or grows up there then all knowledge of and connection with Ireland is severed, voided and extinguished at birth.

dd973 wrote: »
    Funny how many people are astonished about his accuracy with the accent or his knowledge of Anglo-Irish dynamics, his parents are as Irish as our's are, there's an weird notion that if someone of Irish parentage is born in England or grows up there then all knowledge of and connection with Ireland is severed, voided and extinguished at birth.

Coogans dad is from Kilkenny city i believe? I read it somewhere recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Alan Partridge - Martin Brennan is a perfect microcosm of Brexit.

I see the British government actually allowed Alan Partridge to choose the name for the no deal emergency plan- Operation Yellowhammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thought it was pretty average myself

His new series has been below par compared to his best stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Coogans dad is from Kilkenny city i believe? I read it somewhere recently

I doubt that. Kilkenny isn't really a city, just a large town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement