Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Irish person has the most grating voice?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The chap who does the Sunday Business Post advert on the radio - "Independent journalism on Sundaaaaaay".

Joe Duffy - Not his voice, so much as his irritating verbal tics, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I can't stand Katie Taylor's voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Higgins, can't stand the little wart.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

I can't stand the voice of the guy in the Quote Devil ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Kathryn Thomas and the pride of Met Eireann Joanne Donnelly for her appalling delivery. Her husband Harem Laxative deserves a mention here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Phelim Drew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ciara Kelly off Newstalk. A GP who packed it in at 40 something to try to realize her dream of becoming a media personality and ubiquitous TV/radio presence.

Just fúck right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Richard Sadlier.

If you've ever listened back to yourself on any recording and don't think your voice is grating then you are probably a bot.

I hate the sound of my own voice, I think most of us do. Certainly, some broadcasters have voices than are less than mellifluous, but the content of their broadcasts and their own personalities probably make up for it.

I've seen Deirdre O'Kane mentioned in thís thread. I certainly wouldnt purchase a collection of her lullabies, but she uses her voice to her advantage as part of her slightly neurotic comedic act. Now if only I could find a similarly profitable outlet for my own drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Ray D’arcy
    Sharon Ní Bheoláin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

Deirdre O Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Liz Gavin, met eireann presenter on Rte Radio 1. if I tried I couldn't talk in such a high register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

^^^^^^^^^^^^

There's another one who has started speaking in a weird Irish/German/Dutch accent all of a sudden.

Joan/Jean Blackburn, I think.

Usually near the end of Ronan Collins and before the 1.00 News

Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Brian O'Driscoll, definition of grating.

Leo Varadkar has to be up there with him in that case.
    Sometimes I think one is the other on radio.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Alison Curtis. Ear bleeding Canadian cackle. Very difficult to listen to for more than a few seconds.

But the worst for me in current media is the one that does the “tv review” segment with Matt Cooper on Today FM. Jennifer something. Has to be heard to be believed. On one side of the desk we have Matt who can’t pronounce his “T”’s (Sahurday) and on the other side we have Jennifer who can’t do “ing”.... sumthin, anythin...

Has Ger Gilroy been said yet?

Bosco.

Ah here...back in yer box.
    Bosco was a legend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Stefan Faint Bungalow

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Alison Curtis. Ear bleeding Canadian cackle. Very difficult to listen to for more than a few seconds.

But the worst for me in current media is the one that does the “tv review” segment with Matt Cooper on Today FM. Jennifer something. Has to be heard to be believed. On one side of the desk we have Matt who can’t pronounce his “T”’s (Sahurday) and on the other side we have Jennifer who can’t do “ing”.... sumthin, anythin...

Gannon, the tv reviewer who'se stated that she has never seen the wire/breaking bad and claims love island is a highbrow show, and all her picks has to have a pc/sjw slant to it...and that voice ...ugh

Theres quite a few who appear on that show with a fake/put on American accent like Roe McDermott as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Allison Spittle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Conor McGregor, that scummy Dublin accent really wobbles my tits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

Louis Walsh ,Ivan Yeats and the fella that does the Harvey Norman adds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

That lad from The Coronas
    Is it Mary Blacks son?

I’m sure he’s a nice lad but I don't know how anybody can listen to their songs with that constant whine grating through your brain.
    Agony

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Don Wycherley.
    Ciara O'Callaghan.
    Anyone doing ad voiceovers that sounds like Ciara O'Callaghan (clearly I have a problimmmmmm with this accent/voice).
    The guy from Walking on Cars. Tis far from Dingle he went to get that voice.
    The Coronas guy.

The wife can't stand Louise Duffy but I could listen to her all day.

Voices/accents truly are in the ear of the beholder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Itineoman

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Bobby kerr
    Here’s why he sounds hoarse. He’s a throat cancer survivor. Easy to miss I suppose.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/businessman-bobby-kerr-announces-cancer-diagnosis-1.2421576?mode=amp
    Fair play to him - and he’s actually quite good as a presenter once you take this on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Itineoman

It’s the Skoda ad. Voiceover that annoys me. “Skewdahh simply clevahhh “. And they’re fekin’ cars not cahhhhs.
    Nothing against the actor who is doing what he’s paid to do.
    I’d much rather see the Healy Raes voice over for this make that has the tag line of “Made for Ireland”
    “Chrissht yoo cuiod fit five sheeeep into thuie booot and thyn dhrive home wuith allil the groceries in the back seeet. As weillll as the dog. Thue plane peeple of sowth Kyerry don’t neeed to be cyarrying surfboards around the parish in the middle of the day and the dinner on the table. They just need a cheeep and reliable car to drive to the pub. Skoda. Simply Cute. Hoor. “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Brian O'Driscoll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Itineoman wrote: »
    It’s the Skoda ad. Voiceover that annoys me. “Skewdahh simply clevahhh “. And they’re fekin’ cars not cahhhhs.
    Nothing against the actor who is doing what he’s paid to do.
    I’d much rather see the Healy Raes voice over for this make that has the tag line of “Made for Ireland”
    “Chrissht yoo cuiod fit five sheeeep into thuie booot and thyn dhrive home wuith allil the groceries in the back seeet. As weillll as the dog. Thue plane peeple of sowth Kyerry don’t neeed to be cyarrying surfboards around the parish in the middle of the day and the dinner on the table. They just need a cheeep and reliable car to drive to the pub. Skoda. Simply Cute. Hoor. “

That guy has been a voiceover for ads for years

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

Brian Kerr and tubridy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Healy-Raes

• Advertisement

Paschal O’Donohue.

Listening to the budget is bad enough without his voice narrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Simon Harris, sounds like an anxious bee when he speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

the guy who voices 3 and i think one of the banks adverts

young lad, painfully sincere, hushed tones and wheezing with sympathy by the end

hope the cnut dies roaring obv

Always used to think that was Nicky Byrne (couldn’t believe it when I heard it’s not):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Gannon, the tv reviewer who'se stated that she has never seen the wire/breaking bad and claims love island is a highbrow show, and all her picks has to have a pc/sjw slant to it...and that voice ...ugh

Theres quite a few who appear on that show with a fake/put on American accent like Roe McDermott as well

Yes,what really grinds my gears are the two Irish female film reviewers on the
    Last Word on a Thursday....can someone tell them they don’t live in/were not brought up in/are not broadcasting to the United States....don’t know how Cooper sticks it...the urge to say it to them would kill me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Simon Harris, sounds like an anxious bee when he speaks.

Eoghan Murphy is like a private school git doing a presentation in front of his class!

Advertisement