Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs after builders finish

Options
  • 20-03-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

We have got our tenders back so just wondering what to budget after builders finish i.e insulation,windows,doors,plumbing,electrics,plastering already included.
    So we need to include kitchen,floors,sanitaryware,stairs etc. Its a 2100 sq ft house.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

from the sounds of that list, you'll need another tender for the finishes!
    Builders finish not including stairs? How will you plaster?

I spent 10k on my kitchen, you could have done it for 6k...….its a personal choice.
    floors are another unknown.... Des Kelly, Bargaintown??????
    I spent the money on the ground floor tiles that were RRP of 60e per meter, but I traded that against Des Kelly Laminated flooring in the bedrooms.

Sanitaryware - Will you then need another plumber to connect up all the fittings?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Weird for a builders finish not to include sanitary ware and stairs... Did you specifically ask for it not to be included?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ndilly

We are buying Sanitary ware ourselves and builder installing it so looking for price on buying sanitary ware. Painting,kitchen,utilityetc.Stairs cladding and handrails etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

You know, am currently building a house.

It is half the size of yours. At tender, I told them to take out stairs, kitchen, bathrooms, flooring. I supply (and they fit) the sanitary ware.

The thing is mate, the reality of this is that I trapse around the shops and online almost every few days and defo weekends to source what am looking for. Not a bad thing to have control over what I like. But it does take time.

Your question is impossible to answer, because it is how long is a piece of string question - noone knows what you are looking for (e.g., a regular bog standard toilet could be e120. An off the floor with frame/plate/seat could be e600 per toilet, you catch what am saying?)

Might be more beneficial to say how much you might afford. And then get a plan together. E.g., I know someone who build a beautifully designed home, and for the banks (as a bank will require you to have a stairs and kitchen for last draw down), they put in a kitchen from done deal, and plan to put in a new kitchen in time.

Laminate flooring is about e15-e21 per square meter. Underlay price on top of this. Semi-solid around e20-e24. Solid e25+.
    A decent tile about e19 per square meter.
    A tiler (carpenter - unless you know someone!) will charge roughly e21-25 per square meter. If they are heavier tiles, e30+ (more labor intensive).

I got a quote from someone for 15 square meters of laminate + installation for around e600.

Ive decided to go with as little tiling as possible (e.g., I will have all bathrooms tanked (means water proofing). Tiles in the shower. Tiles on the floor. Tiles around sink. Paint rest of walls then.

I wont have doors for a while.
    I wont have inside painted for a while.
    And I wont have any upstairs flooring for a while (bar tiles in the 2 bathrooms).

The joys :-D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ndilly wrote: »
    We are buying Sanitary ware ourselves and builder installing it so looking for price on buying sanitary ware. Painting,kitchen,utilityetc.Stairs cladding and handrails etc

Itemise everything you need and hit the shops or online.
    It’s the only way to get a price based on the way your doing it.

• Advertisement

We have got our tenders back so just wondering what to budget after builders finish i.e insulation,windows,doors,plumbing,electrics,plastering already included.
    So we need to include kitchen,floors,sanitaryware,stairs etc. Its a 2100 sq ft house.

Would have imagined the stairs should be included.

Depends on your taste but this is what I spent in a house of the same size:

Kitchen and utility: 16k
    Flooring: 6k - 3.5k laminate and 2.5k tiles
    Sanitary ware: 6k

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ndilly

Good luck!

Did your kitchen utility include appliances etc. We were thinking about the same budget which is good to know.

Good luck!

Did your kitchen utility include appliances etc. We were thinking about the same budget which is good to know.

No. White goods were an extra 4k. Fridge, freezer, washer, drier, hob, oven and dishwasher.

We got kitchen made so you can do it cheaper.

Advertisement